UEFA Superleague - 2023/24

@skysports_bryan
NEW JUST IN: Premier League to host meeting with 14 clubs tomorrow morning. Clubs involved in proposed European Super League are absolutely not included. Meeting chaired by Richard Masters online #SSN

This is gonna get messy! Well more so.

Fabrizio Romano

@FabrizioRomano

Alexander Ceferin will meet legals to decide about sanctions for the clubs involved in UCL and Europa League this season. “We will try to use all the sanctions against the #SuperLeague clubs. As soon as possible they have to be BANNED from all our competitions, players too”.

🚨

Surprised the players have been so quite. I know a lot that are not involved in said clubs have voiced there dislike. But except for Bruno at Utd. I’ve not seen any other players comment. Maybe seeking legal advice privately?

I mean the revenue of ESL would rely on endorsments, sponsors and TV rights, so a massive fan boycott could actually be effective. But then of course there's a pandemic so can;t even go out and protest properly.

Yeah but it would need to be collective. Unfortunately, a lot of casual footie fans would probably not give a toss and still watch these matches as m, ya know, who wouldn't want to watch Liverpool vs Real Madrid square off again?

Nizaar Kinsella

@NizaarKinsella

UEFA presdient Ceferin leaves the door open for clubs to return to their comps: "They are not banned from European football forever but the way they acted was wrong, even without a big IQ, people know it." Adds: 'the threat of the Super League, is a strange way of negotiating.'

I doubt many active players care, they're guns for hire, they go where the money is. Banning the players from Euro and World Cup might do the trick and cause a revolt, but it would be a gangster move, banning someone from representing their country because some suits up top had a fight about how to split the money.