'Up the mariners!' A Grimsby Town story

• Thread starter Thread starter Danarouso
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 133
  • Views Views 27K
Really mate? Brilliant! He's a good player anyway, glad i've got him now along with Meyler and Wells (Town naive to put him on the loan market)

Yeah haha well regarded at Arsenal and trying to get him scoring goals in professional football before he's given the big chance.

NOVEMBER UPDATE

HARTLEPOOL UNITED 4-1 CARLISLE UNITED

Well what a brilliant start to November - Daniel Powell was sensational and deserved the man of the match award with him scoring 4 goals against fellow-strugglers Carlisle United. (Scorer: Powell X4) (MOTM: Powell) (Att: 6,942)

HARTLEPOOL UNITED 3-1 GRIMSBY TOWN

Solid win over my ex-club Grimsby which I was happy with, a very professional job against the league 2 club. (Scorers: Sweeney, Powell, Sampson) (MOTM: Powell) (Att: 2,985)

(FA CUP SECOND ROUND DRAW: HARTLEPOOL DRAW FELLOW LEAGUE 1 SIDE WALSALL AT HOME IN THE 2ND ROUND OF THE FA CUP)

DAGENHAM & REDBRIDGE 1-1 HARTLEPOOL UNITED

A draw isn't too bad considering a lot of our players were jaded during the game so I'm not moaning about this point despite the Daggers being bottom of the table. (Scorer: Ilesanmi OG) (Att: 1,917)

HARTLEPOOL UNITED 0-1 DONCASTER ROVERS

Ok, no excuses for this game.. I thought we would've at least got a point with our fellow strugglers but it wasn't to be so we need to be better for our next game. (MOTM: Baldwin) (Att: 6,182)

HARTLEPOOL UNITED 0-0 SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY

Well, a good point I suppose because Wednesday are a big club and are of course in the top-6 so this was a decent point but I felt we could have possibly won the game. (Att: 6,881)

STEVENAGE 3-1 HARTLEPOOL UNITED

A loss at the promotion-chasing club isn't bad but we haven't won for a fair few games now and our league form needs to be turned around. (Scorer: Wells) (Att: 2,579)

PLAYER OF THE MONTH (HUFC)

DANIEL POWELL

Daniel Powell was sensational at the start of the month and still put in some good performances as the games went on despite most being negative.

UPDATED LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 293190

Yeah haha well regarded at Arsenal and trying to get him scoring goals in professional football before he's given the big chance.
That's good mate, hope he gets that big chance! He hasn't set the world alight at Hartlepool just yet i'm afraid but players usually struggle for me who come mid-season but i'm sure he'll turn it around

DECEMBER UPDATE

HARTLEPOOL UNITED 3-2 WALSALL (FA CUP SECOND ROUND)

A good win and we progress to the third round for the first time in my managerial history (on this save of course) which is pleasing but what would make it even better would be a top-4 premiership team at home for extra revenue. (Scorers: Powell, Afobe, Mullins) (MOTM: Powell) (Att: 2,876)

(FA Cup fourth round: Hartlepool United draw Chesterfield at home - Not the most exciting tie but a big opportunity to progress further in the competition.)

(JOB SECURITY UPDATE: Hartlepool United manager Dan Crowther is under-pressure at the club after his first 10 games, with a rumour going around that he may not last much longer - Can't believe it tbh! If i get sacked unfairly like this I don't know what i'll do.. can't believe the board expect miracles already.. ;l)

OXFORD UNITED 4-0 HARTLEPOOL UNITED

Cruel defeat at Oxford which leaves me fighting for my job - Things are getting rough and it doesn't look like i'll be in the job for much longer at the moment. (Sent off: Tunnicliffe) (Att: 6,085)

PORTSMOUTH 1-0 HARTLEPOOL UNITED

It has to be said, another solid defeat and one which gets me one step away from losing my job.. we're just playing terrible - terrible like the players' morales. (Att: 10,949)

TRANMERE ROVERS 2-1 HARTLEPOOL UNITED

Yes, another poor defensive display and it looks as though it is the end i'm afraid. (Scorer: Syers) (Att: 4,422)
HARTLEPOOL UNITED 2-1 BURY

A good win against 2nd-placed Bury who are over-achieving like **** at the moment so a very good win indeed. (Scorers: Syers, Sweeney) (MOTM: Sweeney) (Att: 5,942)
NOTTS COUNTY 0-0 HARTLEPOOL UNITED

Another hard game and another decent result - It seems that some progress is being made.. we were lucky though but Rachubka surprisingly saved a penalty! (MOTM: Hartley) (Att: 7,335)

CLUB NEWS: Club announcement..

View attachment 293237

HARTLEPOOL UNITED 0-1 COVENTRY CITY

Didn't expect anything better really - the squad was steamrolled as we had 2 games in 3 games so yes, a defeat I was expecting against a Cov side who are struggling like ourselves. (Att: 6,179)

JOHNNY MULLINS

Johnny has probably performed the best out of all in this pretty-much dismal month - Hopefully his good performances will continue in January.

UPDATED LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 293248

it was the risk when taking the new job that miracles were expected but with a bit of luck im sure you can turn things around, push the lads hard at training to get them familiar with your ways.

I was saddened to see you leave GTFC but am looking forward to following your continued journey with hartlepool, its a great opportunity with new owners also (they always help financially).

I am delighted to inform you that i secured promotion with ebbsfleet from the league 2 and made key signings with jack barmy, dale jennings, larnell cole, alex marrow (after a successful season last year on loan) and Joe Mckee. Also brought back Diego Poyet on loan for the season and have just secured the services of glenn murray from crystal palace on the free. Looking forward to another great season ahead. The new owners have really helped financially which gave me the opportunity to gain promotion and strengthen my squad for a mid-table push this season in the League 1.

it was the risk when taking the new job that miracles were expected but with a bit of luck im sure you can turn things around, push the lads hard at training to get them familiar with your ways.

I was saddened to see you leave GTFC but am looking forward to following your continued journey with hartlepool, its a great opportunity with new owners also (they always help financially).

I am delighted to inform you that i secured promotion with ebbsfleet from the league 2 and made key signings with jack barmy, dale jennings, larnell cole, alex marrow (after a successful season last year on loan) and Joe Mckee. Also brought back Diego Poyet on loan for the season and have just secured the services of glenn murray from crystal palace on the free. Looking forward to another great season ahead. The new owners have really helped financially which gave me the opportunity to gain promotion and strengthen my squad for a mid-table push this season in the League 1.

Yes, i probably willl be sacked from the job.. wouldn't be surprised really, and I was saddened too but to pursue Premiership/Champions League football to keep all you followers entertained I think getting up the football league faster would of been a quicker option to get there at least somewhat quicker.

That is brilliant, Jack Barmby will be a star for sure and the other signings are also very good with a mix of youth and experience, I suspect a play-off push which would be fantastic. Good luck mate! P.s what are your attendences like?

Full capacity which is 4080 until i move into my new stadium in 15-16 season which is a 10 000 seater stadium. Yes Jack Barmby is good but he picked up an injury in my 2nd game. I managed to pick up Curtis Nelson and Curtis Obeng to add to my defensive ranks. I must say I'm very happy with squad although i probably would like another striker preferably a loan deal as i have blown my transfer kitty and wages on my new signings this season.

Great Story mate ill kee following am a grimsby town fan i started a save with town got them up by play-offs liam hearn got 36 goals for me

yeah dont resign from them come back stronger if u go down,,,but i hope u stay up

JANUARY UPDATE

HARTLEPOOL UNITED 3-2 CHESTERFIELD (FA CUP THIRD ROUND)

It always is good getting through to the fourth round and now it's going to happen as we narrowly defeated Chesterfield with Benik Afobe bagging a hat-trick in no doubtedly his best game in a Pools shirt yet. (Scorer: Afobe X3) (MOTM: Afobe) (Att: 3,078)
--

(CUP COMPETION NEWS: Hartlepool United draw Derby County in the 4th round of the FA Cup. - Good tie but then again I'm uncertain on the turn-out, they're a big club but its just a matter of how our fans view the game but we have an optimistic chance of progressing.)

(TRANSFER NEWS: Ex-Watford defender Dale Bennett joins Hartlepool on a 6-month contract)
(TRANSFER NEWS: Pools Central midfielder Josh Walker joins Blue Square Premier side Kettering Town on a free transfer)
--

HARTLEPOOL UNITED 0-2 WALSALL

A stale result against a struggling side like ourselves, we couldn't put our chances away whilst we faltered at the back for their chances. (Att: 5,818)

--
(TRANSFER NEWS: Gary Sawyer leaves the club to join high-flying fellow league one side Gillingham on a free transfer)
(TRANSFER NEWS: David Syers joins Preston North End on a free transfer)

--

SHREWSBURY TOWN 0-1 HARTLEPOOL UNITED

An early goal following being solid defensivley for the rest of the game earned us this win today and to be fair it was a vital win against the fellow strugglers, SHREWSBURY. (Scorer: Powell) (MOTM: Meyler) (Att: 5,020)

GILLINGHAM 1-0 HARTLEPOOL UNITED

A defeat which was deserved really, everybody looked steamrolled and uninterested in gaining 3 points. (Injury: Afobe - Out for 9-12 days) (Att: 6,155)

(TRANSFER NEWS: Joe Devera joins Chesterfield on a free transfer)

HARTLEPOOL UNITED 1-0 MK DONS

Solid win over the dons, we were very good in most areas and pretty much deserved to win - At the moment we are struggling with fitness and it's hard to gain results with unfit players but that is down due to the amount of fixtures. (Scorer: Sampson) (MOTM: Hartley) (Att: 5,975)

AFC WIMBLEDON 3-0 HARTLEPOOL UNITED

Bitterly disappointed about this result when I shouldn't be because we did not deserve to win, Rachubka was unbelivably poor for starters and when your goalkeeper plays as bad as Paul did your not going to win a game.. simple as that, lets face it. (Att: 5,202)

HARTLEPOOL UNITED 1-2 DERBY COUNTY (FA CUP 4TH ROUND)

At times in the first half it looked as this would be a big thrashing when Derby went 2-0 up early but we held our own in the later stages and pulled one back but still, Derby were too good for us it has to be said.. Especially Will Hughes who still hasn't left Derby.. he was fantastic. (Scorer: Bennett) (Injury: Meyler - out for 4 weeks) (Att: 7,790)

HARTLEPOOL UNITED 3-1 SHEFFIELD UNITED

A very good win for us which will be vital come end of the season (If i'm still in charge of course). Even though The Blades are a mid-table outfit now this was still a good win as they still have some very good players at their disposal. (Scorers: Sampson, Afobe, Tunnicliffe) (Att: 6,886)

DANIEL POWELL

It has been a mixed month for us so it's hard to pick a straight out winner for the POTM but if it has to be somebody then it would be Dan Powell due to his top performances in most games, he has looked deadly on the right flank for sure and may long that continue.

(TRANSFER DEADLINE DAY NEWS: Matthias Fanimo has joined Hartlepool United from West Ham United for an undisclosed fee, reported to be around 5-20k - He was said to be delighted to reunite with his old boss Dan Crowther who was a player when Grimsby Town won promotion to the football league in 2013.)
(TRANSFER DEADLINE DAY NEWS: Miles Storey joins Hartlepool United from Swindon Town on a loan deal which lasts till the end of the 2015/16 season)

UPDATED LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 297932

Last edited:
FEBRUARY UPDATE

PRESTON NORTH END 1-0 HARTLEPOOL UNITED

A loss at Deepdale to of course Preston who are genuine promotion contenders and will be in the top-6 by the end of the season - Decent first half performance but we fell foul once again to our woeful goalkeeper Paul Rachubka who arguably cost us 3 points. (Att: 9, 785)

HARTLEPOOL UNITED 1-1 BRADFORD CITY

Could of really have done with a win against an out of form Bradford side but the bantams were resilient so fair play to them but still, a point is gained so that is a positive in itself. (Scorer: Sampson) (Att: 6,604)

BRISTOL ROVERS 1-2 HARTLEPOOL UNITED

Narrow but well-earned vital win against our fellow strugglers away from home and these points will be vital come end of the season no doubt. (Scorers: Powell, Afobe) (MOTM: Powell) (Att: 5,769)

DANIEL POWELL

Undoubtedly once again the best player for us this month and he capped off previous great performances in the month with a wonder goal against Bristol Rovers where he took on 3 defenders with a great run and then made the goal look easy with a simple finish.. Of course this was goal of the month and a wonderful way to end the season for Powell and the club.

UPDATED LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 297970

MARCH UPDATE

BIRMINGHAM CITY 3-4 HARTLEPOOL UNITED

A little worried due to the goals conceeded but hey, Birmingham are obviously a decent side and to win at St. Andrews is phenominal.. fantastic win for the Poolies. (Scorers: Storey, Horwood X2, Afobe) (MOTM: Horwood) (Att: 11,023)

HARTLEPOOL UNITED 1-0 EXETER CITY

A great win for Pools against a play-off chasing side and another win for us, we are now starting to pick up. (Scorer: Storey) (MOTM: Hartley) (Att: 5,844)

HARTLEPOOL UNITED 1-0 CHARLTON ATHLETIC

Fitting tribute for my 200th game in management! A solid win over another play-off chasing club - We never looked like letting a goal in! (Scorer: Sampson) (Injury: Storey - Out for 5-6 weeks) (Att: 6,180)

HARTLEPOOL UNITED 1-1 DAGENHAM AND REDBRIDGE

Not a bad result considering one of our key defenders Peter Hartley got sent-off very early into the game so I'm glad we avoided defeat. (Scorer: Afobe) (Att: 5,765)

CARLISLE UNITED 0-2 HARTLEPOOL UNITED

Another decent result for the Pools but my job security is still hanging in the balance which is just stupid so I think they will still sack me at the end of the season, It is stupid really. (Scorers: Fanimo, Meyler) (MOTM: Austin) (Injury: Austin - Out for 3/4 weeks) (Att: 6,242)

DONCASTER ROVERS 2-2 HARTLEPOOL UNITED

We played very well considering we only had one day's rest from the win at Carlisle but a very creditable draw as many of the players were fatigued - Point gained! (Scorers: Tonne, Powell) (Injury: Afobe - Out for 2 weeks) (Att: 6,799)

CROWTHER WINS MANAGER OF THE MONTH

I thought I would win it this month because we were sensational, well done to the squad. I still can't believe I'm fighting for my job despite this huge turn-around.. the new board need their heads testing because it is good keeping a club up in league one who have conference-quality players in their squad.. it is unbelievable

ALEX PURSEHOUSE

Alex has probably played the best out of everyone, he has been hardworking and key to all of our results with his consistency - Very good month for him!

UPDATED LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 298292

Back