'Up the mariners!' A Grimsby Town story

• Thread starter Thread starter Danarouso
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 133
  • Views Views 27K
MARINERS INTERACTIVE

Grimsby Town 2012/2013: Where are they now?

View attachment 291569
(This side finished 4th in the blue square premier with 25 wins, 7 draws and 14 losses and eventually went on to win promotion at Wembley where they beat Gateshead 2-1 with Crowther-loving Nathan Pond scoring the header that shot the Mariners up into the FL where they currently lie.)

---------------------

PLAYER SCREENSHOT REQUESTS?

If you have any requests to see any of the players' profiles for stats then please post a reply letting me know the players name and I will post it up when I am next online, thank you!

do you still have petrucci? if so please share a screen? I was surprised that thanoj was released. If you could pick 1, who would be your best/key signing in the august window? what of your wage budget and transfer kitty? cheers.

the new stadium will hold 9866 capacity but wont be completed until 2015. im currently in october 2013 so it will be least a season and half away before i can benefit from it. Might add that im currently 6th after 13 games on 20 points in League 2 and the return of scapuzzi is nearing, i had a major blow with marrow out injured for 3-4 months so i brought in yan klukowski on emergency loan for 3 months as cover in the centre of the pitch. Again Patrick ada is my key player with an average rating of 7.27 and also leading my scoring charts with 3 goals (the accolaide is shared by 2 others also). I dont seem to have 1 key scorer until scapuzzi returns.

great news, my ebbsfleet i got taken over my a consortium and now i have funds to press for a playoff position in our first season in the football league (league 2).

Awaiting an update from you mate.

do you still have petrucci? if so please share a screen? I was surprised that thanoj was released. If you could pick 1, who would be your best/key signing in the august window? what of your wage budget and transfer kitty? cheers.
Hull City bought him for around the regen of 200k from Manchester United in the summer unfortunately :(

SEPTEMBER UPDATE

DONCASTER ROVERS 0-1 GRIMSBY TOWN

Well, what a performance this was! We have knocked out the league 1 leaders in the first round and mostly everyone played exceptional, well done lads! (Scorer: Harrold) (MOTM: Brown) (Att: 2,487)
(CUP COMPETITION NEWS: GTFC DRAW SCUNTHORPE UNITED AT GLANFORD PARK IN THE SECOND ROUND OF THE NORTHERN ROUND IN THE JPT!!!)

GRIMSBY TOWN 0-3 PLYMOUTH ARGYLE

Oh dear me.. the goalkeeper Guzman and Brown both had mares at the back and a lack of performance up-front cost us dearly. (Att: 3,884)

GRIMSBY TOWN 0-1 MK DONS

Simply dire performance from the midfield and attacking options therefore, we deserved to lose in the repeat of the JPT final, 2008. (MOTM: Dummett) (Att: 4,832)

BRISTOL ROVERS 1-3 GRIMSBY TOWN

Great way to bounce back following the dismal defeat against MK Dons, we took our chances and they didn't.. and that is how we won the game. (Scorers: Lecointe X2, Clarke) (MOTM: Lecointe) (Att: 5,191)

AFC WIMBLEDON 2-1 GRIMSBY TOWN

Poor performance from a few players which lead to us conceeding 2 however, we got one back through Peter Levens' first of the season and first good performance following his move to Town in the summer. (Scorer: Leven) (Att: 4,956)

GRIMSBY TOWN 1-1 OLDHAM ATHLETIC

Points dropped i'm afraid as Oldham are fellow strugglers. Once again, our atttacking options weren't good enough to carry us on in this match and win us all 3 points.. we still await our first home win of the season. (Scorer: Dunn) (Att: 2,794)

GRIMSBY TOWN 2-2 BURTON ALBION

Points dropped again probably, Billy Clarke played his best game in a Mariners shirt so far though, bagging 2 goals for us and the man of the match award. (Scorers: Clarke X2) (MOTM: Clarke) (Att: 3,347)

GRIMSBY TOWN 0-0 YORK CITY

A dismal match to end a dismal match, we cancelled each other out in this stalemate affair. (Att: 2,760)

PLAYER OF THE MONTH (GTFC)

DAVID STEPHENS

If i had to pick a player of the month it would probably be David Stephens again, David has been solid in defence again this month and performed well to help us in our aid against York City to prevent us from being defeated.

LEAGUE TABLE UPDATE

View attachment 292257

GRIMSBY TOWN 2014/15 SQUAD (as of Oct. 2014)

GOALKEEPERS

Neil Etheridge - 4 Stars
Gines Guzman - 2 StarsLiam Higton - 2 and a half silver Stars

DEFENDERS

David Stephens - 4 Stars
Cliff Byrne - 3 and a half Stars
Sonny Bradley 3 and a half Stars
Simon Ford - 2 and a half Stars
Ellis Humble - Half a star
Bradley Wood - 3 Stars
Lee Brown - 4 Stars
Paul Dummett - 3 and a half Stars

MIDFIELDERS

Ferrie Bodde - 3 and a half Stars
Peter Leven - 3 and a half Stars
Lee Lucas - 3 Stars
Stacy Long - 2 Stars
Jack Dunn - 3 Stars

STRIKERS

Matt Lecointe - 3 and a half Stars
Gary Alexander - 2 and a half Stars
Billy Clarke - 2 and a half Stars
Matt Harrold - 2 Stars
Elliot Lee - 2 Stars

OCTOBER UPDATE

WYCOMBE WANDERERS 2-0 GRIMSBY TOWN

Another negative result, this is because didn't show any quality upfront yet again which is seemingly looking as though this will be a problem we're going to encounter throughout this season which isn't good as we were quite good infront of goal last season. (Att: 4,480)

SCUNTHORPE UNITED 4-1 GRIMSBY TOWN (JPT SECOND NORTHERN ROUND)

I thought we would lose, disappointing though even though it was predictable as I was looking very much forward to the first Scunny/Town Derby but it wasn't a very good result or performance all round. Outclassed. (Scorer: Dunn) (Att: 5,287)

GRIMSBY TOWN 1-2 CHELTENHAM TOWN

I think the Blundell Park faithful should stay away from home games when Neil Etheridge goes on international duty leaving Paul Rachubka wannabe Guzman in goal as it just brings bad news.. also Harrold will need more penalty training after missing one today in a vital game at the bottom half of the table.. ut oh guys. (Scorer: Harrold) (Att: 2,609)

(MANAGERIAL NEWS: Dan Crowther turns down the offer of managing mid-table Southend United following the Shrimpers' approach for the Grimsby Town manager.)

ACCRINGTON STANLEY 3-4 GRIMSBY TOWN

A very entertaining game at the crown ground as you can possibly guess by the score. We showed true character to come back from 3-1 down which was a positive but the negative was some people are still under-performing and I don't think i'll be at Grimsby for much longer. (Scorers: Dunn X2, Lecointe X2) (MOTM: Lecointe) (Att: 2,376)

(CUP COMPETITION NEWS: GTFC draw Tamworth away in the first round of the FA Cup, where ALAN O'BRIEN - An ex Mariner from the first season has played in the last 2 seasons on loan from Scunthorpe United.)

GRIMSBY TOWN 0-3 ROCHDALE

I remember last season when we beat Rochdale 6-0 at a vibrant Blundell Park, but oh how times have changed.. Looks like i'll be gone sooner or later if things don't improve. (Att: 2,411)

GRIMSBY TOWN 3-2 CREWE ALEXANDRA

A truly dramatic game as we were 2-0 down, and also the first home win of the season comes in late October.. this could see me hold onto my job a little while longer. (Scorers: Lecointe X2, Dunn) (MOTM: Lecointe) (Att: 2,689)

For his performance in the last game against Crewe, Matt Lecointe wins this months award for his excellent performance, he has also scored a few more in past games this months also which boosted his chances of winning the award.

UPDATED LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 292365

1. That's a hard one because most has disappointed me dearly but probably Matt Lecointe was a coup from Plymouth Argyle, as he is supposedly a league 2 leading striker and a future championship player.. he also has decent stats for L2.
2. My budget was £0 and around 4k in wages, but when the numerous of players were released it expanded to around 9-10k.

A QUESTION TO ALL

If i accepted a job in a higher tier or got sacked from GTFC would you still follow the story? (I don't know what will happen though if I get sacked on whether the story will continue or not)

hopefully you can survive league 2 this season, not the greatest start for your season. in answer to your question i will still follow the story but hopefully they dont pull the plug on you as you have taken GTFC so far and may the journey continue.

Thanks for the support lads, and I agree Ody.. i've rejected two clubs in the past (Southend and Luton) who have came in for me but if a league 1 club came in for me and we were stlill nearer to the foot of the table then I may just accept it, just depends if they have a general big following though to build up finances :)

i hope you stick with grimsby, you dont get anywhere by knee-jerk reactions ;) But really grimsby are a good club and have the potential to go far. i think i may have a strong push for playoffs/promotion with my ebbs fleet. The new owners have injected the cash needed for me to make a real push out of this season, so i need to go hard or go home. im currently in the jan transfer window with funds available, have you any suggestions?

NOVEMBER UPDATE (no reports as i had to re-do this reply as FM-base went weird)

TAMWORTH 2-1 GRIMSBY TOWN (FA CUP 1ST ROUND)

(Scorer: Lee) (Att: 1,428)

ALDERSHOT TOWN 1-2 GRIMSBY TOWN

(Scorer: Dunn X2) (MOTM: Dunn) (Att: 2,846)

ROTHERHAM UNITED 3-1 GRIMSBY TOWN

(Scorer: Clarke) (Att: 4,266)

GRIMSBY TOWN 1-1 CRAWLEY TOWN

(Scorer: Dunn) (Att: 2,275)

GRIMSBY TOWN 0-2 GILLINGHAM

(MOTM: Byrne) (Att: 3,006)

NORTHAMPTON TOWN 1-4 GRIMSBY TOWN

(Scorers: Lee X3, Dunn) (MOTM: Lee) (Att: 2,519)

MANSFIELD TOWN 2-4 GRIMSBY TOWN

(Scorers: Lecointe X3, Long) (MOTM: Lecointe) (Att: 5,084)

THOUGHTS (INCLUDED DUE TO FM-BASE GOING WEIRD BEFORE)

At the beginning I thought we were in for a torrid month which would result in my sacking especially after the Tamworth exit in the FA Cup but in the last few games we showed improvements and finally won 2 games in a row, these points should become vital in our battle to avoid the drop.

JACK DUNN

The on-loan attacking midfielder from Liverpool proved himself this month scoring a fair few late goals which resulted in getting us a point or 3. Dunn is the club's current top goalscorer with 9 goals.

UPDATED LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 292499

i hope you stick with grimsby, you dont get anywhere by knee-jerk reactions ;) But really grimsby are a good club and have the potential to go far. i think i may have a strong push for playoffs/promotion with my ebbs fleet. The new owners have injected the cash needed for me to make a real push out of this season, so i need to go hard or go home. im currently in the jan transfer window with funds available, have you any suggestions?
Certainly not wrong there my friend, I would say we have potential to maybe get into the top-half of L1 or maybe into the championship then it's up to me to steer the club into the Premiership - If we do get that far!

That is great news about the new owners injecting some cash into the club - Use the money wisely Hm.. Petrucci from Manchester United would be a great signing as he has potential to play in some higher leagues and you could get him for under 300k - Also James Constable is deemed to be a great player for this league and can even play well in L1.. good luck :)

Back