'Up the mariners!' A Grimsby Town story

• Thread starter Thread starter Danarouso
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 133
  • Views Views 27K
DECEMBER UPDATE

GRIMSBY TOWN 0-0 YEOVIL TOWN

The relegation battle game fizzled out into a stalemate game in which our strikers showed inconsistency - Points dropped. (Att: 2,642)

PORT VALE 1-1 GRIMSBY TOWN

A poor performance from midfielders - otherwise we could have won this game and that would be an unbelievable win against a decent Vale side who have Andy Cook in their ranks following his release last Summer. (Scorer: Lecointe) (Injuries: Lecointe (4-5 weeks), Byrne (5-6 weeks)) (Att: 5,728)

GRIMSBY TOWN 2-1 FLEETWOOD TOWN

The 2nd home win of the season was a well-earned one and now we will look to build on this solid win which puts us 5 games unbeaten! (Scorers: Dunn, Alexander) (MOTM: Oshilala) (Att: 3,110)

GRIMSBY TOWN 3-0 TORQUAY UNITED

A fantastic win against a recently-relegated Torquay side that are in the race to get into the play-offs, 6 games unbeaten.. keep it up lads! (Scorers: Lee, Brown, Coady OG) (MOTM: Dunn) (Att: 3,500)

OLDHAM ATHLETIC 1-3 GRIMSBY TOWN

Another solid win against a declining club in Oldham Athletic.. the once premiership club have now slipped into the mid-table wilderness and look set to stay there at the minute. This was undoubtedly Matt Harrold's best performance in a Grimsby Town shirt following a dismal season for him so time, he scored a goal and won the MOTM award. (Scorers: Lee, Harrold, Dunn) (MOTM: Harrold) (Att: 2,287)

GRIMSBY TOWN 3-1 SOUTHEND UNITED

This performance reminded me of my club (Leeds United)'s run in the Champions League 2001, just fantastic nice flowing entertaining football and this gave us the win today against promotion-chasing Southend! Performances like this probably reminded the shrimpers why they wanted me as their manager a few months back! (Scorer: Lee X3) (MOTM: Lee) (Att: 4,244)

PLYMOUTH ARGYLE 0-2 GRIMSBY TOWN

Another fantastic win at a team that are challenging for automatic-promotion - But Argyle should be ashamed as we were down to 10 men earlier on in the game when Wood was unfairly sent off but still we put 2 goals past Argyle and deserved the win in a cold night in Devon. (Scorers: Lee, Dunn) (Sent off: Wood) (MOTM: Stephens) (Att: 6,350)

PLAYER OF THE MONTH (GTFC)

ELLIOT LEE

The youngster on-loan from West Ham United has his best month yet with the Mariners, scoring a total of 6 goals and playing very well in most of our games.
CROWTHER WINS MANAGER OF THE MONTH AWARD

Dan Crowther wins the manager of the month award for December - I guess I deserve it due to the turn-around of our form and fortune, I hope we can emulate Reading's success from the 2011/12 season and go on to win promotion.. Up the mariners!

UPDATED LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 292543

2015.. A YEAR OF OPTIMISM

JANUARY UPDATE

MK DONS 0-1 GRIMSBY TOWN

Quite a stalemate game apart from the goal, but hey we won and that is the main.. let's face it! Plus, it was Stephens' first goal for Town - his hard work finally gets a rewarding for him and the rest of the club. (Scorer: Stephens) (MOTM: Stephens) (Att: 4,766)

GRIMSBY TOWN 1-0 BRISTOL ROVERS

Last time when we faced Bristol Rovers at Blundell Park we were very poor and made the Bristolians look like Brazil but we were slightly better in this game (Scorer: Harrold) (MOTM: Stephens) (Att: 4,328)

GRIMSBY TOWN 1-2 AFC WIMBLEDON

First loss in 12 games, very proud of the great run but nothing lasts forever! Still, Wimbledon are a good side and in contention for promotion after a great season. (Scorer: Lee) (Att: 4,501)

(TRANSFER WINDOW NEWS: David Meyler joins the Mariners on-loan from championship outfit Sunderland A.F.C)
(TRANSFER WINDOW NEWS: Nicky Wroe joins the Mariners on-loan from championship outfit Preston North End)

BURTON ALBION 2-5 GRIMSBY TOWN

A solid win against the strugglers of the division, Burton Albion away is always a hard game.. we learn't that season - Also it was the venue where Town fans invaded the pitch following relegation from the football league.. hey, thinking about it this was our revenge as we've left them stuck in the mire hehe. (Scorers: Lee X3, Lecointe X2) (MOTM: Lee) (Att: 2,512)

YORK CITY 2-2 GRIMSBY TOWN

A good atmosphere and quite an entertaining game - So I guess this was a point earned despite York City being mid-table it was still a very entertaining game. (Scorers: Long X2) (MOTM: Long) (Att: 5,241)

STACY LONG

Stacy Long has recaptured the form from last seasons good season he had this month and averaged a rating of 7.68, his bad season could finally turn around - he flourished in the final game of the month against York where he scored a hattrick.
UPDATED LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 292581

FEBRUARY UPDATE

(TRANSFER NEWS: ANDY ROBINSON JOINS THE CLUB ON-LOAN UNTIL THE END OF THE SEASON FROM CHAMPIONSHIP CLUB TRANMERE ROVERS)

GRIMSBY TOWN 2-1 WYCOMBE WANDERERS

Very proud of the lads to beat fellow promotion contenders Wycombe Wanderers, a very good performance in most areas of the squad. (Scorers: Meyler, Lee) (MOTM: Meyler) (Att: 4,669)

GRIMSBY TOWN 2-4 ACCRINGTON STANLEY

Defensively shambolic but I don't care because we're winning IRL!! MARCHING ON TOGETHER (LEEDS 1-0 CHELSEA TIME) (Scorers: Leven, Lecointe) (Att: 3,570)

CHELTENHAM TOWN 2-1 GRIMSBY TOWN

Second successive defeat, and not a good one either as Cheltenham are lingering in mid-table - I will not be happy if we do not qualify for the play-offs! (Scorer: Lee) (Att: 2,505)

DAVID MEYLER

The championship quality player has lived up to his bill this month with a string of decent performances when others lacked the responsibility.

UPDATED LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 292600
P.S WOW LEEDS

MARCH UPDATE

ROCHDALE 3-1 GRIMSBY TOWN

Beginning to doubt our play-off credentials now because this is getting frustarting (Scorer: Lecointe) (Att: 2,364)

GRIMSBY TOWN 1-2 ALDERSHOT TOWN

The losing run.. CONTINUES! ..dire. (Scorer: Robinson) (MOTM: Brown) (Att: 3,316)

CREWE ALEXANDRA 2-3 GRIMSBY TOWN

Thank god we ended that run, giving us a chance at the play-offs.. come on let's build on this for the last 6 games of the regular season. (Scorers: Lee, Clarke, Lecointe) (MOTM: Bodde) (Att: 3,039)

GRIMSBY TOWN 2-1 ROTHERHAM UNITED

Well, we deserved the result and held onto it - Enough said really, hopefully we will carrying on winning until the end to secure our place in the play-offs. Good win. (Scorers: Bodde, Stephens) (Att: 5,759)

David Stephens

If anyone was good consistently this month it would be our reliable central defender/defensive midfielder, David Stephens. It was a rough month to take on but he performed the best out of all.

UPDATED LEAGUE TABLE

APRIL UPDATE

CRAWLEY TOWN 1-0 GRIMSBY TOWN

Not the best of performances from some certain players but some didn't perform too bad- We were unlucky in this game. (Att: 1,696)

GRIMSBY TOWN 2-0 NORTHAMPTON TOWN

A fine win over the struggling Cobblers who look destined to fall into the Blue Square Premier, vital 3 points for our push to the play-offs. (Scorers: Dunn, Flint OG) (MOTM: Wroe) (Att: 3,540)
(nPower league 2 news: Gillingham and Wimbledon are promoted whilst Burton Albion's relegation to the football league is confirmed following their 4-1 home defeat to play-off chasing Rotherham United)

GILLINGHAM 2-2 GRIMSBY TOWN

You must be looking at this result now and thinking great, a point at the promoted club but really it felt like a loss as were where 2-0 up and conceded twice in 3 minutes - How disgraceful. (Scorer: Lee X2) (MOTM: Lee) (Att: 6,177)

(Blue Square Premier news: Wrexham are promoted as champions which means they will be a fixture next season IF we do not get promoted/or make the play-offs)
(nPower League 2 news: Bristol Rovers qualify for the play-offs)

GRIMSBY TOWN 1-5 MANSFIELD TOWN

Oh dear, yes - Mansfield did score 2 free-kicks but we were terrible.. Mansfield were down to 10 men earlier on in the game, we should of took advantage but instead we were on the hands of a demolishing and probably my heaviest defeat as Grimsby manager. Revenge for Mansfield 0-3 Grimsby back in the conference? Probably.. (Scorer: Lecointe) (Att: 5,199)

YEOVIL TOWN 2-2 GRIMSBY TOWN

Last game of the season and another disappointment with points being dropped at Yeovil who have had a disappointing struggle since their drop from league one. Very disappointing way to end the 2014/15 season.. oh well. (Scorers: Lecointe, Dunn) (Att: 2,365)

NICKY WROE

Well, if somebody again had to have the award Preston loanee Nicky Wroe would probably have it as he gained an average rating of 7.12 in our last couple of games of the season and has been very impressive.

FINAL LEAGUE TABLE (DID WE MAKE THE PLAY-OFFS?)

View attachment 292664

-------------

No, of course we did not make the play-offs due to an inconsistent end to a strange season - what a roller-coaster of a ride it was but ultimately a disappointing one as we still remain in league two.. Oh well, back to the drawing board.. I guess next season will bring some new optimism to Blundell Park.

MAY UPDATE

TEAMS COMING DOWN FROM LEAGUE 1

BARNSLEY
BRENTFORD
LEYTON ORIENT
CHESTERFIELD

TEAMS COMING UP FROM BLUE SQUARE PREMIER

WREXHAM
LINCOLN CITY

WORLD FOOTBALL NEWS..

MANCHESTER UNITED WIN THE PREMIERSHIP
HUDDERSFIELD TOWN BEAT NORWICH CITY 2-0 IN THE FA CUP FINAL
BAYERN MUNICH DEFEAT MANCHESTER UNITED IN THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL 1-0
AJAX DEFEAT FC TWENTE 2-1 IN THE ALL-DUTCH EUROPA LEAGUE FINAL

......GTFC NEWS:

Simon Ford retires from Football at the age of 33 and has decided to pursue a career in football, preferably management.

Grimsby Town manager Dan Crowther admits the club's financial position has affected his budget for the upcoming 2015/16 campaign.

Gary Alexander announces that he will retire following his release from Grimsby Town later in June.

geez you seem to finish your seasons so fast. well done on the final position this year. was looking bleak at the beginning but december and january changed your season.

Yes i currently have Petrucci on loan, so hopefully i can turn that into a permanent come end of season. hope to complete the season tonight, so i can update you later on.

JUNE/JULY UPDATE

(CUP COMPETITION NEWS:
GTFC draw Leicester City at Blundell Park in the first round of the Capital-One cup)
(STAFF NEWS:
Dave Pemberton joins the club as new head physio whilst ex-Mariner Nathan Pond joins the club as U18's manager, also the club sign Stuart Macreadie as their new fitness coach.)
(GTFC PLAYER NEWS:
Town star player David Stephens has been named as captain for the 2015/16 season with veteran defender Cliff Byrne retaining his spot as vice-captain)

TRANSFERS

In

Edwin Moore - Free - Free Agent - Goalkeeper (REGEN)
Zac Thompson - Free - Leeds United - Central midfielder/Right-back
Jake Cassidy - Loan - Wolverhampton Wanderers - Striker
Chris Porter - Free - Free agent - Striker
Nakhi Wells - Free - Free Agent - Striker
Lewis Alessandra - Free - Free Agent - Striker/Winger
David Noble - Free - Free Agent - Central Midfielder
Joe Keenan - Free - Free Agent - Central Midfielder
James Russell - Free - Free Agent - Goalkeeper
Luke Moore - Loan - AFC Wimbledon - Attacking Midfielder/Striker
Out

Ferrie Bodde - Released - Central Midfielder
Stacy Long - Released - Central Midfielder
Matt Harrold - Released - Striker
Peter Leven - Released - Central Midfielder
Billy Clarke - £0 - Luton Town - Attacking Midfielder/Striker

FRIENDLIES

GRIMSBY TOWN 4-2 GRIMSBY TOWN RESERVES
BUXTON 1-2 GRIMSBY TOWN
GRIMSBY TOWN 1-1 BRADFORD CITY
MACCLESFIELD TOWN 0-2 GRIMSBY TOWN
GRIMSBY TOWN 1-4 WEST BROMWICH ALBION

INJURY NEWS:

NEIL ETHERIDGE - OUT FOR 5-6 WEEKS
BRADLEY WOOD - OUT FOR 3-4 WEEKS

THOUGHTS ON THE UPCOMING SEASON

I've got to say due to the lack of depth in midfield, I am pessimistic about this season and I think we will finish mid-table but I certainly hope the new midfield will better last year's midfields performances.

Last edited:
AUGUST UPDATE

GRIMSBY TOWN 0-4 LEICESTER CITY (CAPITAL-ONE CUP FIRST ROUND)

Well, I didn't expect us to win against the championship side/progress to the next round but I expected a bigger gate to see the championship outfit so we could boost our finances but meh, that wasn't to be either. (Att: 2,337)

GRIMSBY TOWN 1-2 CREWE ALEXANDRA

A negative start to the season in the league due to a late Sonny Bradley naive error which lead to Crewe scoring 30 seconds from the end of injury time to end our first game of the season in defeat - Other than that a decent performance. (Scorer: Lecointe) (Att: 4,547)

WREXHAM 3-1 GRIMSBY TOWN

At half time we were 3-0 down and performed quite well to be fair to the lads but still, another loss and I hope we don't have another dismal start. (Scorer: Wells) (Att: 4,364)

GRIMSBY TOWN 3-1 SOUTHEND UNITED

Good result for the first win of the season - A decent performance from everyone created the win and it's a win to build on. (Scorers: Lecointe, Cassidy, Porter) (MOTM: Thompson) (Att: 4,376)

YORK CITY 2-2 GRIMSBY TOWN

Good crowd for a fairly good game for most of our players apart from Russell, Oshilala and Bradley - Good point. (Scorers: Thompson, Wells) (MOTM: Brown) (Att: 5,791)

Zac Thompson

The young central midfielder from Leeds United has put in a lot of fine performances and done what I have expected of him so far which is pleasing, he has scored 1 goal and made 2 assists and got the man of the match award vs. his ex loan club from last season, York City.

UPDATED LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 292864

GRIMSBY TOWN - 2015/16 SQUAD (AS OF LATE AUGUST, 2015)

GOALKEEPERS

Neil Etheridge - 4 Stars
James Russell - Half a star
Liam Higton - 3 Silver Stars

DEFENDERS

David Stephens - 3 and a half Stars
Sonny Bradley - 3 and a half Stars
Cliff Byrne - 3 Stars
Bradley Wood - 3 and a half Stars
Adedeji Oshilala - 2 and a half Stars
Lee Brown - 4 Stars
Paul Dummett - 4 Stars

MIDFIELDERS

Zac Thompson - 3 and a half Stars
Joe Keenan - 3 and a half Stars
David Noble - 2 and a half Stars

STRIKERS

Matt Lecointe - 3 and a half Stars
Jake Cassidy - 3 Stars
Chris Porter - 2 and a half Stars
Lewis Alessandra - 1 and a half Stars
Luke Moore - 1 Star
Nakhi Wells - Half a star

SEPTEMBER UPDATE

(CUP NEWS: TOWN DRAW SHEFFIELD UNITED AWAY AT BRAMALL LANE IN THE SECOND NORTHERN ROUND OF THE JPT)

GRIMSBY TOWN 2-1 TORQUAY UNITED

A decent result against promotion contenders Torquay despite them going down to 10-men earlier on in the game. (Scorers: Thompson, Conroy OG [deflection from Thompson shot]) (MOTM: Thompson) (Att: 4,397)

MANSFIELD TOWN 2-1 GRIMSBY TOWN

Well, we weren't good enough to win.. some players could have done a lot more on the night for us. (Scorer: Wells) (Att: 4,832)
GRIMSBY TOWN 3-2 ACCRINGTON STANLEY

In the end we just held on due to an idiot called Paul Dummett who wanted first-team football which I granted, only for him to be sent off.. Dumbett more like. Anyway, Nakhi Wells is a fantastic footballer and I don't know why my scout (who is a good scout) thinks that he is only a decent player for BSN/BSS clubs.. that is truly ridiculousness at it's best.. a win is a win anyway. (Scorers: Keenan, Wells X2) (MOTM: Wells) (Att: 3,956)

OLDHAM ATHLETIC 0-1 GRIMSBY TOWN

Stalemate game but another win which is generally pleasing for us as Oldham are showing signs of good form from their recent matches - Cassidy scored the only goal with a smart finish from just a few yards from goal in the latter stages and we held on from there. (Scorer: Cassidy) (MOTM: Brown) (Att: 3,101)

GRIMSBY TOWN 2-1 ROTHERHAM UNITED

Nakhi Wells comes off the bench to score the winner in a tight-contest between us and bottom-side Rotherham in a good atmosphere at Blundell Park - Good win to be honest with you! (Scorers: Cassidy, Wells) (Att: 5,642)

BARNSLEY 1-3 GRIMSBY TOWN

A great win at the declining Oakwell club in a 'ding-dong battle' with Zac Thompson having a fantastic game! (Scorers: Thompson, Lecointe, Cassidy) (MOTM: Moore) (Att: 6,338)

GRIMSBY TOWN 1-4 BRENTFORD

Our first meeting since our first season back in the FL where we beat them twice on both occasions but this wasn't our night, an unfair penalty was awarded to them earlier on which damaged confidence and Bradley Wood was later sent-off but Nakhi Wells pulled one back in the last minute with quite a good goal to be fair. (Scorer: Wells) (Att: 4,004)
PLAYER OF THE MONTH(GTFC)

NAKHI WELLS

It's got to be Nakhi Wells this month - he has been fantastic! The 'Blue Square North/South average player' has scored 7 goals in 10 appearances, averaging a rating of 7.64 in the last 5 games. The sensational striker also won the goal of the month award for a stunner against Mansfield Town.

UPDATED LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 293022

OCTOBER UPDATE

LINCOLN CITY 1-1 GRIMSBY TOWN

Bore draw really with Oshilala scoring a Tom Cleverley vs. Newcastle-like goal like he did vs. Barnet in the 13/14 season, but on a hindsight this was a good point against the gimps who were relegated from the BSP in the first season only to get second successive promotions back into the FL. - Fair play to them. (Scorer: Oshilala) (MOTM: Oshilala) (Att: 6,862)

SHEFFIELD UNITED 1-0 GRIMSBY TOWN (JPT Northern second round)

Didn't expect to win but after their early goal we didn't look like conceding anymore - We made a good presentation of ourselves against the Blades but ultimately both teams cancelled each other out in the end. (Att: 4,092)

GRIMSBY TOWN 1-1 ALDERSHOT TOWN

A bad draw really as we should have won but of course they were resilient therefore fair play to the shots. (Scorer: Thompson) (Att: 4,509)
...........................OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT COMING UP FROM VICTORIA PARK in the next special update which cuts this one short.

Hartlepool United appoint Dan Crowther as manager

Hartlepool United today announced Grimsby Town manager Dan Crowther would be taking over the troubled nPower league one club with the primarily ambition of guiding the club to safety and then steering the club back into the top-half of the table and beyond. The club have already said that some cash will be available for the ex-Grimsby boss Crowther for the January transfer window incase the club are in need of some extra players to aid their league campaign - Dan Crowther had this to say in the press conference held a day before the club's league game with Bristol Rovers: 'I am extremely proud to join Hartlepool United Football Club and I am relishing the task going forward of steering this club to safety. It is a big task at hand and the players need to step up in performances in order to start gaining results. It is a shame to see the club in this predicament but that is football, if you can't get results you won't be where you want to be in the table and this is why I have been appointed manager to turn this around. I believe this squad can turn this around and I will be making sure they do so, because the only way is up.' When asked about leaving Grimsby Town.. Crowther had this to say: 'It was extremely sad to leave Grimsby because we had such great memories there, and the supporters were great.. not to mention the players, well some of them were great ha-ha. But in all seriousness I would of only left Grimsby Town if a huge offer came in and I believe the foundations we can build at this club can be unbelievably great for the town size.'

GRIMSBY UNDER CROWTHER: THE COMPLETE COLLECTION

Grimsby Town 2012: Where are they now?

View attachment 293057
(note:
Craig Disley is a scout
Andi Thanoj retired at the age of 22
Shaun Pearson retired at the age of 24
Greg Pearson retired at the age of 28
Anthony Elding is a scout)
------------------------------------------
Grimsby Town 2013: Where are they now?

View attachment 293058
--------------------------------------------
Grimsby Town 2014: Where are they now?

View attachment 293059
------------------------------------

DAN CROWTHERS RECORD AS GRIMSBY MANAGER:

Games played: 170

Games won: 77
Games drawn: 32
Games lost: 61
Goals for: 280
Goals against: 245
Overall goal difference: 35
Win percentage: 45%

RECORDS

Top goalscorers:

2012/13:
Liam Hearn with 33 goals
2013/14:
Luca Scapuzzi with 20 goals
2014/15:
Elliot Lee with 20 goals

Fans players of the year:

2012/13:
Liam Hearn
2013/14:
David Stephens
2014/15:
David Stephens

HIGHEST ATTENDENCES:

2012/13: 7,254: GRIMSBY TOWN VS. FOREST GREEN ROVERS - BSP PLAY-OFFS SEMI FINAL
2013/14: 7,370: GRIMSBY TOWN VS. COLCHESTER UNITED - FA CUP FIRST ROUND
2014/15: 5,759: GRIMSBY TOWN VS. ROTHERHAM UNITED - NPOWER LEAGUE 2

AVERAGE ATTENDENCES:

2012/13: 3,109
2013/14: 4,590
2014/15: 3,636

BIGGEST WINS:

2012/13: 6-1 VS CHELMSFORD CITY - FA TROPHY SECOND ROUND
2013/14: 6-0 VS ROCHDALE - NPOWER LEAGUE 2
2014/15: 5-2 VS BURTON ALBION - NPOWER LEAGUE 2

HIGHEST PAID FEE FOR A PLAYER:

30K FOR STACY LONG FROM AFC WIMBLEDON - 14TH JULY 2013

OVERALL TRANSFERS:

IN: Matthias Fanimo (loan from West Ham), Alan O'Brien (free transfer - free agent), Nathan Pond (loan from Fleetwood and free transfer in season after), Adam Dodd (loan from Blackpool), Andy Bond (loan from Colchester), Neil Etheridge (free transfer - free agent), Davide Petrucci (loan from Man Utd), Lucas Lee (loan from Swansea), Ferrie Bodde (free transfer - free agent), Cliff Byrne (free transfer - free agent), Adedeji Oshilala (free transfer - free agent), Luca Spapuzzi (loan from Man City), Karl Sheppard (loan from Reading), James Vincent (free transfer - free agent), Stacy Long (30k from Wimbledon), Christopher Powlay (loan from Middlesbrough and regen), Guy Madjo (free transfer - free agent), David Stephens (free transfer - free agent), Sonny Bradley (free transfer - free agent), Lee Brown (free transfer - free agent), Peter Leven (free transfer - free agent), Paul Dummett (free transfer - free agent), Billy Clarke (free transfer - free agent), Matt Lecointe (free transfer - free agent), Jack Dunn (loan from Liverpool), Gines Guzman (loan from West Ham), David Meyler (loan from Sunderland), Nicky Wroe (loan from Preston), Andy Robinson (loan from Tranmere), Edwin Moore (free transfer - free agent REGEN), Zac Thompson (free from Leeds), Jake Cassidy (loan from Wolves), Chris Porter (free transfer - free agent), Nakhi Wells (free transfer - free agent), Lewis Alessandra (free transfer - free agent), David Noble (free transfer - free agent), Joe Keenan (free transfer - free agent), James Russell (free transfer - free agent), Luke Moore (loan from Wimbledon).

TOTAL COST: 55K
Total signed: 27

OUT

Anthony Elding (released), Craig Disley (released), Ian Miller (released), Greg Pearson (released), Frankie Artus (released), Dayle Southwell (released), Greg Fleming (released), Shaun Pearson (released), Louie Soares (Free to Chester), Alan O'Brien (free to Scunthorpe), Joe Colbeck (free to Chester), Sam Hatton (released), Derek Niven (released), James McKeown (released), Guy Madjo (released), James Vincent (released), Liam Hearn (released), Nathan Pond (released - later rejoined the club as u18s manager), Andy Cook (released), Aswad Thomas (free to Sligo Rovers), Andi Thanoj (released), Tom Charlesworth (released), Ellis Humble (released), Ferrie Bodde (released), Stacy Long (released), Matt Harrold (released), Peter Leven (released), Billy Clarke (free to Luton Town)

TOTAL COST: £2K
TOTAL SOLD/RELEASED: 29

TOTAL ACHIEVEMENTS:

Blue Square Premier play-off winners 2012/13
2x Blue Square Premier manager of the month
Blue Square Premier manager of the year runner-up
1x nPower League 2 manager of the month

GTFC Overall best eleven:

View attachment 293072

Why the monkey hangers :(

Big budget of 825k in league one with a lot of money in the bank as-well, an offer I couldn't refuse mate :( Do GTFC and HUFC have any form of rivalry? - Hope you will still follow the story anyway and good luck to town tomorrow.. can't make it but i hope town win :)

Hartlepool United inherited 2015-16 squad

GOALKEEPER

Paul Rachukba

DEFENDERS

Jack Baldwin - 4 and a half Stars
Peter Hartley - 4 and a half Stars
Neil Austin - 4 and a half Stars
Alex Pursehouse - 3 and a half Stars
Johnny Mullins - 2 and a half Stars
Evan Horwood - 4 Stars

MIDFIELDERS

Ryan Tunnicliffe - 4 and a half Stars
Antony Sweeney - 3 Stars
Josh Walker - 2 Stars
David Syers - 2 Stars

STRIKERS

Daniel Powell - 2 Stars
Jack Sampson - 2 Stars
Filip Orsula - 1 Star and a half
Ryan Noble - 1 Star and a half
Morgan Ferrier - 1 Star and a half
Erik Tonne - 1 star and a half
Jimmy Warnett - 1 star and a half

STAR PLAYERS

Jack Baldwin
Peter Hartley
Neil Austin
Ryan Tunnicliffe

THOUGHTS

Looks like it's going to be a tough season i'm afraid - Lack of depth in midfield and quality in strike needs to be sorted in January but in the mean time I will attempt to bring in some loanees to aid our cause. Paul Rachukba I can tell you as a Leeds United supporter is a woeful goalkeeper and hopefully will be leaving rather in January or the summer but the rest of the defence looks solid just like the players were at Grimsby.

OCTOBER UPDATE
(Staff update: Nathan Pond, Jay Smith and Paul Compton (Some of Crowther's staff at Grimsby) set to join the club in the next few days as apart of the coaching staff with all of the same roles apart from Nathan Pond who will be a first-team coach.)

HARTLEPOOL UNITED 0-1 BRISTOL ROVERS

Not the best of starts by losing to one of our relegation rivals, especially conceding from a minute in but from there we were dominant and were unlucky not to win the game, never mind get a point. (Att: 5,945)

HARTLEPOOL UNITED 2-0 BIRMINGHAM CITY

A well deserved win for the lads against a Birmingham side who are overall decent and should be in the top-6 following their mid table season last year - Didn't have to wait too long for my first 3 points as Pools manager.. (Scorers: Warnett, Sweeney) (MOTM: Syers) (Att: 6,142)

CHARLTON ATHLETIC 1-0 HARTLEPOOL UNITED

Only a 1-0 loss at the promotion contenders which i was slightly pleased with because most players played decent, we just need that cutting edge in quality to start getting results but the fringe-first teamers are playing well at the minute but their lack of quality means they aren't the finishing product for our goals, unfortunately. (Att: 10,757)
-------

(Transfer news: Grimsby Town striker Nakhi Wells joins Hartlepool United on-loan on a three month deal after falling out of favour with new Grimsby boss Stephen Constantine --- David Meyler joins Hartlepool United following his release from Sunderland in the summer, Meyler played under Crowther on a loan-spell at Grimsby Town last season -- Striker Benike Afobe joins Hartlepool United on a free following his summer release from Premiership side Arsenal)

PLAYER OF THE MONTH (HUFC)

Antony Sweeney

Hard to pick since i've only played 3 games as Pools boss but Antony Sweeney's performances have impressed me the most and I am looking forward to the prospect of him playing alongside Meyler in midfield in November with Tunnicliffe who still needs to prove himself to me.

UPDATED LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 293089

F.A CUP FIRST ROUND -......

HARTLEPOOL UNITED
VERSUS
GRIMSBY TOWN

AT VICTORIA PARK

"Oh, it had to be!" - Pools Boss Dan Crowther

One of the picks of the first round will have to be when Hartlepool United take on Grimsby Town - This is because just recently, Hartlepool manager Dan Crowther formerly of Grimsby left the mariners to join struggling Hartlepool and now finds himself against his old club in under a month of leaving! Dan Crowther said this about the upcoming match: 'Well, i'm definatley looking forward to this one, relishing it deeply in a good manner as I can't wait to play my ex-club already and make it a fantastic game for both clubs.. Hopefully the turnout will be good along with an entertaining football game.. Bring on the mariners.. safe trip guys!'

Well, Crowther seems excited about the game but will it end in disappointment for his club, Hartlepool? Grimsby didn't progress beyond the first round in his tenure but certainly produced some exciting games against Tranmere Rovers and Colchester United in past first rounds and I'm sure his club will turn up to try and spring a surprise when it comes down to the game in under 2 weeks at Victoria Park.

Back