Uruguay v Ghana Thread

Who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We're not saying the ref enforced the rules incorrectly, but we're saying the rules are incorrect.

We're not saying the ref enforced the rules incorrectly, but we're saying the rules are incorrect.

Not if Gyan had put the penalty away. There would be no debate.

But he didn't, which is why we are questioning it

What is annoying is that, yes he did miss. But Ghana were cheated out of getting into the Semi-finals.

What a game.. Where to start?

My thoughts go out to Ghana, they fighted to the very end and lost under bad circumstances.

Well done Ghana, you are the true winners.

And if he had no-one would be questioning the rules. Ghana lost the game themselves. They had a gift to put themselves into the Semi-finals and failed. Yeah they tried hard but also Uruguay will be thinking if they had lost they should of had a penalty as well when Pantsil chopped the Uruguayan down in the box.

Ghana also had plenty of chances to finish the game in normal time but could not do it. Its football and the drama it creates is why we love it.

Which brings up the truth, that you only moan about something when it goes wrong.

You act like you are doing something noble by complaining about the rule and wanting it to be changed, but the fact is if he makes it, this never comes up, and everyone cheers that the rule worked how it should.

You are hardly being noble and fair. If anything you are letting your emotions cloud sensible judgment.

Wow being cheated out of the semi-final must have hurt them. The referee did his job and Ghana missed but to think if it wasn't for Suarez cheating they would be preparing to play Holland. Hopefully Saurez is banned for the Holland game and potentially the final, not that they can get there considering they can barely beat Ghana or South Korea. Hopefully Holland smash them.

I don't think the ruling for goal-line handballs should be changed though, I mean if you can't score from the penalty spot then you shouldn't really be on the pitch..

And if he had no-one would be questioning the rules. Ghana lost the game themselves. They had a gift to put themselves into the Semi-finals and failed. Yeah they tried hard but also Uruguay will be thinking if they had lost they should of had a penalty as well when Pantsil chopped the Uruguayan down in the box.

Ghana also had plenty of chances to finish the game in normal time but could not do it. Its football and the drama it creates is why we love it.
If he'd scored it would have just papered over the fact that in these kind of situations the punishment doesn't fit the crime.

Yeah ghana got a penalty and he was sent off but it was the last minute so it didn't matter too much he was sent off and instead of it being a certain goal it was a penalty with huge pressure on the taker.

If he'd scored it would have just papered over the fact that in these kind of situations the punishment doesn't fit the crime.

So you are saying, if Gyan made it, nobody would have cared one way or another about the rule?

Yeah ghana got a penalty and he was sent off but it was the last minute so it didn't matter too much he was sent off and instead of it being a certain goal it was a penalty with huge pressure on the taker.

I still think it was possible he could have headed, maybe even clear, he obviously had it in his mind that he would bat it away. I haven't seen anyone come up with a realistic rule that would replace the current one.

How does it not matter he got sent off?? he could have been blamed for costing his country the world cup and now still can't play in the biggest game of his life..

And as I said thats football and the drama it creates. There was nothing unfair about it. The guy taking the penalty is a proffesional and if that pressure has got to him then he should not be the one taking it.

How does it not matter he got sent off?? he could have been blamed for costing his country the world cup and now still can't play in the biggest game of his life..
Well from ghana's point of view. It didn't make too much difference. They weren't able to exploit playing against 10 men as after the penalty it was straight to penalties. Made a bit of a difference as he may have taken one of the penalties but not a huge amount.

If Rugby style rules were to be adopted it would have been given as a goal.

But football is not rugby. Its football, two totally different games.

Well from ghana's point of view. It didn't make too much difference. They weren't able to exploit playing against 10 men as after the penalty it was straight to penalties. Made a bit of a difference as he may have taken one of the penalties but not a huge amount.

I suppose you have a point.. And it wasn't much better than henry's handball... I don't know what to think really... Haha..

As mentioned before, Uraguay cheated, end of.

I really felt for Gyan after the game, he must not be able to sleep, shocking.

Tbh, a player shouldn't be allowed the ability to stop a perfectly good goal with his hands, and still be able to win the game. ****** Uraguay.

As mentioned before, Uraguay cheated, end of.

I really felt for Gyan after the game, he must not be able to sleep, shocking.

Tbh, a player shouldn't be allowed the ability to stop a perfectly good goal with his hands, and still be able to win the game. ****** Uraguay.

The thing is, that wasn't the "end of". Gyan and the rest of his team had two more opportunities to beat Uruguay. Blocking the ball was far from a game winner. But I suppose yalls hindsight is 20/20.

Honestly I'm surprised that so much is being made of this. I mean it was a very dramatic ending but I would have expected to stop there. Uruguay cheated? Yes, they did and they got penalised for it. Their best payer got sent off and Ghana got a free shot.

IMO, that evens it up. It was a lack of professionalism and an inability to handle pressure that lost Ghana the game. Not "cheating." Uruguay are "true winners" you know why? They scored more than Ghana. That is the end of.

I mean if you can't score from the penalty spot then you shouldn't really be on the pitch..
No not really. He is a great player, he was just under heaps of pressure and he must have been very nervous taking that, but unfortunatly he missed. Just because you missed a penalty, it doesn't mean you shouldn't be playing in the match.

Status
Not open for further replies.