VerZa's 4-3-3 - Breaking the record with Southampton

hi guys is is this tactic working in patch 15.3.2

Holy.. I my Fulham save, My Lucas Romero has 94 shots/49 on target (52% sucess-rate) and 11 goals after 24 games. So 0,46 goals per game for a CM.
My other CM is Tielemans. He has 64/29 after 27 games and 6 goals.

It's crazy how your players are performing. I hope you find a way to fix it :)
Your training seems fine. I do believe it has some influence on how they're performing in their individual roles. I usually just train them in the roles, they're in.

I may know where my MCs are wasting most of their shots. After a throw in or a short corner, if the ball gets to them (and it happens quite often) they just shoot from wherever they receive it, without any preparation or espace to do it, and of course the effort gets blocked, goes wide or gets easily saved by the GK. I tried getting the mentality down to 'Control' and add the instruction 'Work ball to the box', but with no improvement. They still shoot as soon as they get the ball despite having team-mates in better position.

I just had Romero shooting 9 times in a match, ALL of then coming from set pieces, and his shoots were just awful, ending up everywere except where it counts. I could try to rearrange the players positions on set pieces, but if it's not the MCs doing all those ridiculous shots, it will be someone else then. Any ideas? Thanks

I may know where my MCs are wasting most of their shots. After a throw in or a short corner, if the ball gets to them (and it happens quite often) they just shoot from wherever they receive it, without any preparation or espace to do it, and of course the effort gets blocked, goes wide or gets easily saved by the GK. I tried getting the mentality down to 'Control' and add the instruction 'Work ball to the box', but with no improvement. They still shoot as soon as they get the ball despite having team-mates in better position.

I just had Romero shooting 9 times in a match, ALL of then coming from set pieces, and his shoots were just awful, ending up everywere except where it counts. I could try to rearrange the players positions on set pieces, but if it's not the MCs doing all those ridiculous shots, it will be someone else then. Any ideas? Thanks

You could simply remove the short corners and set throw-ins to short. But that will ofc mean you wont score as much. Away-games will probably be tough.

verza i ma going to try out this tactic with liverpool on latest patch 15.3.2 there is quite a few versions .which tactic version would you recommend post a download please would really appreciate it

Last edited:
thanks will give it go will provide updates on progress

You could simply remove the short corners and set throw-ins to short. But that will ofc mean you wont score as much. Away-games will probably be tough.

I've tried that and you were right, it is hard to get chances to score, meaning that the set pieces play a huge role in this tactic. It didn't work so well so I tried to rearrange the positions for the corners and throw ins, with the same results. I think the roaming playmaker role in this tactic is getting cursed, because everyone in my team that plays there becomes a horrible shooter. Locatelli has 37 shots/1 goal in 16 games and Lucas Romero has 144 shots/3 goals in 38 games, meaning a 2% effectiveness in finishing. The right MC, Gil Romero, actually has some acceptable numbers, with 141 shots/ 17 goals (12%), but the main problem is the roaming playmaker and the wasted shoots coming from there.

A few weeks ago I changed the role to advanced playmaker, but the shots kept coming anyway and the overall performance decreased, so I don't know what to do anymore.

I've tried that and you were right, it is hard to get chances to score, meaning that the set pieces play a huge role in this tactic. It didn't work so well so I tried to rearrange the positions for the corners and throw ins, with the same results. I think the roaming playmaker role in this tactic is getting cursed, because everyone in my team that plays there becomes a horrible shooter. Locatelli has 37 shots/1 goal in 16 games and Lucas Romero has 144 shots/3 goals in 38 games, meaning a 2% effectiveness in finishing. The right MC, Gil Romero, actually has some acceptable numbers, with 141 shots/ 17 goals (12%), but the main problem is the roaming playmaker and the wasted shoots coming from there.

A few weeks ago I changed the role to advanced playmaker, but the shots kept coming anyway and the overall performance decreased, so I don't know what to do anymore.

I see it like this: This tactic is INSANE, when exploting set-pieces. If you remove those, intentionly trying not to score from set-pieces, then the tactic is decent. That's how most tactics are this year, if you want to plug-and-play, which is the idea behind this tactic.
On the other hand, if I find it extremely hard to score from set-pieces, if you're not using the methods used in this tactic. I hope they fix this in FM2016.

But back to the playmaker not scoring goals. I'm actually starting to experience the same problems, so I'm gonna try and tweak the tactic today, to see if I can fix this problem. I'll let you know if there's any progress. You're welcome to try the same :)

Edit: I've tried a few things and things are looking good so far. 4 games played with the new tweaks. 5-1, 5-0, 6-0, 6-0 wins. I'll have to test some more, before I release anything.

Last edited:
I see it like this: This tactic is INSANE, when exploting set-pieces. If you remove those, intentionly trying not to score from set-pieces, then the tactic is decent. That's how most tactics are this year, if you want to plug-and-play, which is the idea behind this tactic.
On the other hand, if I find it extremely hard to score from set-pieces, if you're not using the methods used in this tactic. I hope they fix this in FM2016.

But back to the playmaker not scoring goals. I'm actually starting to experience the same problems, so I'm gonna try and tweak the tactic today, to see if I can fix this problem. I'll let you know if there's any progress. You're welcome to try the same :)

Edit: I've tried a few things and things are looking good so far. 4 games played with the new tweaks. 5-1, 5-0, 6-0, 6-0 wins. I'll have to test some more, before I release anything.

I do really love you tactic mate, it changed my A.C.Milan from a dying club into a world class powerhouse, smashing a lot of teams and winning almost everything. It's just that tiny bit of a problem where the playmaker shoots like a brainless Emile Heskey :) . Today I tried Samper (my best passer) in that role and he fulfield his role as a playmaker, but everytime he recieved the ball on the edge of the area he just shoots without thinking, forgetting that sometimes he has loads of oposition players and a few teammates in the box to block the ball. I actually had someone how had a great season playing there, with Andre Ayew scoring 18 goals in the league in my first season, but after that one, not even Ayew came close to those numbers in the following seasons.

I added the instructions 'Work ball into box' and 'Run at defense' to see if something changes, because so far switching the Roaming Playmaker role to something else has been a bad idea. Thanks :)

Alright, I'm going to release it now. It is not with my good will, but I don't have much time to test it the next few days, so I need you guys help to do it..
I'd like you to keep an eye on the striker, the cm's and the fullbacks. I'm now seeing assists from fullbacks and a lot of crosses.

Here it is: VerZa's 4-3-3 v3 beta test

Have you got a screen shot of the OI please

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Nice Update to the Tactic Verza, I had made some very similar changes to the tactic but couldn't get the wingers to flow as half as good as you.
Getting some fantastic results at the moment with my Southampton team.

I will keep you updated if I spot anything or any difficulties once my teams form starts to drop.

Nice Update to the Tactic Verza, I had made some very similar changes to the tactic but couldn't get the wingers to flow as half as good as you.
Getting some fantastic results at the moment with my Southampton team.

I will keep you updated if I spot anything or any difficulties once my teams form starts to drop.

How is the striker performing as a DLF? In the old tactic, I noticed that the striker would way too often just take the ball and run toward the defense, and eventually loose the ball. Now he'll take it and hold onto it and then play it to a team-mate. In compensation for that, I've made the wingers more offensive.

And how about the midfield? Wasn't sure about changing the roaming playmaker to another CM.

I'm finding that the DLF is working really well exactly as you say, to my suprise I had injuries to both Pelle and Long and used Mane as a stop gap. He performed excellently as the DLF getting the ball high up linking in the wingers and then making late runs into the box.
Only problem I find actually is the amount of long balls per game which eventually end with the opposition but when im scoring on average 3 goals per game I am not going to complain.

As regard to the midfield I notice they are keeping shape better defensively and arn't getting as far forward giving the attackers more room to move into allowing the full backs to push higher. I have to admit I am missing Romero or Ward Prowse controlling the game.

Fantastic uptade mate. The overall finishing from the whole team has improved, the playmaker is shooting less often, but beeing more accurate and the inside forwards are doing well with lots of goals and assists. Mastour in particular was averaging +8.00 until he broke his foot :( . I had a few defensive problems but it maybe be because I bought 2 new centre backs.

Alex is it the case that your centre backs get caught out by the striker managing to beat them off the line?
I had this problem especially against Chelsea, I find taking off Push higher up and using control once I have a goal or two seems to cancel this out.

Verza I have just finished my first year with southampton and it was an incredible season using this tactic and altering slighty depending on opposition and how the match is going. I honestly believe you could just plug and play and still do well.

I will post my results and screenshots once I get a chance to sit down at my computer