Trying out a slight tweak on the Injury Crisis challenge with Spurs. Seems to be working well so will post soon.

Some tactics like the 4-2-2-2 seem to be quite hit and miss on 14.1.4

Scout recommended it at home to Norwich and away to Man City.

Lost 0-3 to Norwich but beat City 5-1 :S
The tweak was adding Drop Deeper to team instructions. It seemed to work well against the bigger teams but struggled against the poor sides so I won't upload just yet.

Finished 4th with Spurs on the Injury Crisis challenge but using the Drop Deeper instruction has me 6th in the Premier League with newly promoted Altrincham on my Global Explosion save.

Could work as an underdog tactic but would need to test it further.

Last edited:
The 4-1-4-1 is utterly useless with the new patch. Was top of L1 by seven points with twelve games to go and ended up drawing 6 and losing 6, scoring 4 goals. In the end lost in the play-offs 1-0 on aggregate to Graham W*****'s Stevenage, hitting the woodwork four times in the second leg.

Most likely a bug on SI's part rather than your tactic.

The 4-1-4-1 is utterly useless with the new patch. Was top of L1 by seven points with twelve games to go and ended up drawing 6 and losing 6, scoring 4 goals. In the end lost in the play-offs 1-0 on aggregate to Graham W*****'s Stevenage, hitting the woodwork four times in the second leg.

Most likely a bug on SI's part rather than your tactic.

It isn't utterly useless with the new patch, at least it hasn't affected my save.

Yea it wasn't 'useless' on my saves either. Not as effective since the patch but still good.

Anyway, I've been working on a tweak for 14.1.4.

Dropped the defensive line a bit to stop the balls over the top or through balls between the DCs and FBs. Seems to have worked but you will still concede some from through balls as it seems a bit overpowered on 14.1.4 just like wingplay was overpowered on 14.1.3.

So I wanted to take advantage of that for ourselves. The deeper d-line helps defensively but also tempts the opposition out and as they push higher up I used Pass Into Space to hit them with some through balls of out own.

Tactic still work in progress so feel free to post feedback and recommended tweaks.

Test quickly with Everton, Norwich and Southampton.

Some results-

Norwich:
View attachment 447509
Southampton:
View attachment 447508
Everton:
View attachment 447507
View attachment 447506

Forgot to mention that, as always, I switch to Counter when:

1) winning by 2+ goals in the second half or
2) winning by 1 goals on 75mins.

On every patch so far this has helped me see out results and more often than not hit teams on the counter attack late in games turning 2-0 leads into 3 or 4 nil wins.

If playing FMC you can change mentality to Counter automatically without the punishment of losing tactic familiarity.

If playing the full game you need to add a second tactic so the players learn the Counter settings too.

I`m finding really fun to do like you said, changing tactics each match, started a quick FMC season in Wales using a bad team, bought no players, and finished 1st using instant results + counter match plans on the OP, just changing according to scout (4 tactical knowledge) reports.

I`m still using 14.1.3 because of the short pass corners, but it seems newest patch also has good corner setups right? What do you do when scout says you should use a formation that there isn`t a tactic available, like 4-1-2-1-2, you just drag and drop a player from the nearest position? What roles should them be? Thanks a lot!

Just finished my 7th season with Atalanta using this tactic every season (the 4141 v2).

View attachment 445647

Retained the Serie A title once more, making it 5 times in a row, was undefeated at this point, but then lost 1-0 to Roma in a bs penalty call. Then went on to lose my only other game to Chievo 1-0. Would of been nice to get the ultimate perfect season but 6 trophies ain't bad.

View attachment 445646View attachment 445645View attachment 445644View attachment 445643View attachment 445642View attachment 445641.

Not too shabby, won every trophy possible, retained Champions League, central defenders still scoring from corners, just not insane amounts anymore.

Last edited:
I`m finding really fun to do like you said, changing tactics each match, started a quick FMC season in Wales using a bad team, bought no players, and finished 1st using instant results + counter match plans on the OP, just changing according to scout (4 tactical knowledge) reports.

I`m still using 14.1.3 because of the short pass corners, but it seems newest patch also has good corner setups right? What do you do when scout says you should use a formation that there isn`t a tactic available, like 4-1-2-1-2, you just drag and drop a player from the nearest position? What roles should them be? Thanks a lot!
Yea I just drag them about and try to use the roles recommended by the coaches (whatever they are best at)

The 4-1-2-1-2 is the Diamond formation which should be in the tactic pack

Started using this tactic in the second half of my season with Roma. Only lost twice with 1-0 (against Milan and Lazio) but won comfortably against Fiorentina and Juventus. Won the Serie A and the cup final. Will use the counter attack for the "big" CL matches

On the brink of going back to FM13. Patch 14.2 is a bit of a joke. Just seems to be 'who can score the most from set pieces' wins. Maybe just copy Tony Pulis and buy 6ft 4 giants!

I'm using your V4 and V4 Counter with Crystal Palace on 14.2 and so far so good (only played 3 games though) but drew 0-0 with Arsenal in my first game which was good. Do you think you'll need to make many changes to the tactic to accommodate 14.2?

I'm using your V4 and V4 Counter with Crystal Palace on 14.2 and so far so good (only played 3 games though) but drew 0-0 with Arsenal in my first game which was good. Do you think you'll need to make many changes to the tactic to accommodate 14.2?
I've been trying but like the results above I can play well for a while then lose my next 3 games in a row, with loads of injuries, own goals or conceding from corners/free kicks so I couldn't even be bother trying anymore.

Will return to FM14 when patch 14.2.1 arrives

I've been trying but like the results above I can play well for a while then lose my next 3 games in a row, with loads of injuries, own goals or conceding from corners/free kicks so I couldn't even be bother trying anymore.

Will return to FM14 when patch 14.2.1 arrives

Ah quite sad! The only fortunate thing is that i've been busy with work, and now im on holiday so im not really playing fm much atm. Hopefully by the time i get some free time, the new patch will be out and i can get back to my long term save. Is anything working at all atm though?

Ah quite sad! The only fortunate thing is that i've been busy with work, and now im on holiday so im not really playing fm much atm. Hopefully by the time i get some free time, the new patch will be out and i can get back to my long term save. Is anything working at all atm though?
The results a few posts above were from a combo of my 4141 v4 and The CodFather's tactics but then the game throws up a few defeats with most (if not all) goals being own goals, poor touches by fullbacks or set pieces. Not enjoyable at all so its FM13 for a while

The results a few posts above were from a combo of my 4141 v4 and The CodFather's tactics but then the game throws up a few defeats with most (if not all) goals being own goals, poor touches by fullbacks or set pieces. Not enjoyable at all so its FM13 for a while

Wow! It does feel like SI have made a serious error, not only with this latest patch, but with this years game in general. I haven't yet played of course, but from the posts i've read the implication is that the game is currently unplayable, or at the very least not enjoyable.

Anyone mind trying this slight tweak of the 4141 v4. I plugged it late in my Ajax save and season is now over. Chelsea games were pretty even so not too disappointed by them as I'm using youth team players only for Ajax.

The other results were good.

IMPORTANT: When winning by 1 goals on 70 mins I switched to Counter and added Much Deeper DLine.
When winning by 2+ goals in second half I did the same switches as above.

View attachment 441365

I will test further next season but any feedback would be great. This is my last attempt at trying to make 14.2 playable for myself.