Want to get an Extremely Solid Defense?

this was the start of my fourth season so ive made some changes to my back they have done very well but vermeanleen was the zonal marker and kept straying out of position which was cuasing the problems il try out agian at the start of my fifth season so i can tweak it in friendlies

5 seasons already? Wow, post up your defender's attributes then, players grow and change the way they play their games so i need to know how their stats are at the moment. If you zonal marker strays off too far there must be 2 reasons.

1.His closing down is set to too much, decrease as wished.

2.Opponents are playing a counter attacking style, they control possesion causing the centrebacks and defensive midfielders to come up higher into the pitch.

i tried it in one game with arsenal went 3-0 up agasnt stoke then they came back to some very dodgey defending luckly scored twice late on, i havnt used it agian becuase before that game i had only conceded 6 in 18 games which is quite good

you could of changed the strategy to control,defensive,contain for the last 30mins and i bet u wouldnt of conceded two goals, in my opinion that is.

im at work at the moment and working tomorrow aswell so probs wont be able to upload any screenshots till tuesday/wednesday but il try my best to get on tommorow, most of my players are very younger as i like to bring youth through it said that before the stoke game that my hole back four were cocky and werent working hard enough so it was probs done to them underestimating stoke espically when we went three nil up

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

you could of changed the strategy to control,defensive,contain for the last 30mins and i bet u wouldnt of conceded two goals, in my opinion that is.

it was 3-3 at half term and i dont like to play defesivly as i find it boring so i also try too win by as much as possible as it adds confindce to the players

im at work at the moment and working tomorrow aswell so probs wont be able to upload any screenshots till tuesday/wednesday but il try my best to get on tommorow, most of my players are very younger as i like to bring youth through it said that before the stoke game that my hole back four were cocky and werent working hard enough so it was probs done to them underestimating stoke espically when we went three nil up

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

it was 3-3 at half term and i dont like to play defesivly as i find it boring so i also try too win by as much as possible as it adds confindce to the players

Haha, confidence can be a ***** and never underestimate any opponent! And you cant say that defensive tactics are boring, they are but they get the job done, even barcelona have to defend once in a while you know ;)

Ok i have been tweaking a bit recently in my ath madrid save, i selected cloasing down for my lb,,cb with zonal, and rb all too own area, and just the man marker as it is, first game so far with it i know the opposistion isnt great like, will try it again for another 10 matches and wil reply again.

Closing down for fullbacks depends on what type of opponent you play, if there are no wingers and they play through the middle then not much is needed, vice versa

i know, but sometimes the man marker always follows the forward and then a gap opens up and another opposition players takes the advantage if you know what i mean, has this happend to you?

It is at that point that your Zonal marker has to double up and do more closing down, it doesnt happen to me that much because i have a box to box midfielder who comes back to help the defense out, im finding some major flaws in my zonal marker now i think you helped me figure out whats the problem.

Zonal markers have to be set specifically, because too much or too little closing down becomes a disaster, i have to test it even more now lol.. thanks for your help, i think you might have tooken off 4 goals from my target of 13 goals a season. All time record for me is using Roma , 56 games played and 16 goals conceded.

happened to me one game just, so i tweaked it more, and now i created an away tactic also, so ill keep you updated mate

shane, what is your tactic/formation overall, when i was tottenham, i was sittin 3rd most of the season, my back four were, Bale,Woodgate,King,Corluka, and it worked a charmed?:)

I switched to 4-1-1-2-2 when i implemented this defence tactic.

Gomes
Corluka / Bassong/Woodgate/Mattock (bale was unhappy and sold)
Huddlestone (defensive playmaker)
Jenas or Rodwell (ballwinning CM)
Lennon / Modric (wingers)
Defoe / Pavluchenko.

I'm playing pav, because he has been doing brilliantly for me. But unfortunately I'm always conceeding more than i'm scoring.

Cheers that's what i've switched too, although I had Woodgate and Bassong the wrong way round(zonal/man), and had woodgate out for a long period, hopefully getting him back will help get my season back on track.

Cheers that's what i've switched too, although I had Woodgate and Bassong the wrong way round(zonal/man), and had woodgate out for a long period, hopefully getting him back will help get my season back on track.

good good, hope every goes well, if u need any more help just give me a shout mate:)

Ok after tweaking around a bit more it seems to be coming along nicely so far, league table on 1st jan: some pics of matches also

Last edited:
played the last half of first season as Hatlepool united with it and started conceeding less goals straight away. Its not so hot at the start of the championship but I have a host of new players including 2 new center backs who havnt had time to gel yet and even so for an example wigan only put 2 past me, I was expecting alot worse lol

Hey nice post there. I've been been using the logic of your theory as my own defensive approach.
Just wanted to give an input. If you don't got good markers, do not tight mark.
It will make the opponent go around your player too easily. Tested and true.
And since my defender are suckish, i tend to make them drop deep which one of them is deeper from the other to cover for through ball.

It's working nicely so far. 6 clean sheets in 7 games. Something I have seen in a while. :)

Oh and yeah thanks for dropping by at my tactic page. :D

Cheers.

Ok end of season report using my tactic and better defending overall now, though im finding it hard to play against liverpool:S:

Dayyyum, Kevyymatts destroying arsenal like that must have made you a hot topic in your board room.

Yea i think i proved enough already and just wana thank the people who tested this theory for me. i will be updating more of my theories soon and if you got any questions just post em here and i can help you.

2nd season with Newcastle, i have Matthew Upson, Steven Taylor or Tamas Kadar, Ryan Taylor or Lamine Gassama, and Jose Enrique Silvestre at the back.