Want to get an Extremely Solid Defense?

I don't know if I missed it, but which r the most important stats for a man marker and which one for a zonal marker??? what do u keep in consideration when u have to decide who will be the man and who will be the zonal???

_perfido_

this tactic is sick i applied it to my team.i conceded 2 goals in five games

Ok, so i have been tweaking around FM10 and i realised that my theory works even on fm 10, i had played fm08 and fm09 using this defensive theory and conceeded less than 15 goals a season.

Basically my 2 centrebacks have this strange combination that works perfectly. But the centrebacks have to have good attributes of heading, first touch, aggression, tackling and etc. They only need to have the key attributes, Pace, acceleration, passing and etc. are not important.

So the formula is one defender man marks, while the other marks zonal. Both must have tight marking on. How it works? Defender A sticks onto forwards whilst Defender B marks players who come into that area of the field. And during this marking, through balls are snuffed out by the zonal marker, and oncoming player runs are stopped and intercepted by the Man marker.

Simple yet effective. Both defenders are normal centreback with defend duty, not ball playing,sweeper or etc.

Try it and please let me know if it doesnt work, i want to perfect my centreback pairing.

Closing down,mentality and creative freedom are the same levels, which is 4 or 5.

Well with your current team go with sahko cause his marking is 19 and skrtels and carraghers arent as good, thats just my opinion though

huh? as in who should i play as man marker, zonal marker, not who should i sell

---------- Post added at 02:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 AM ----------

plus with my players should i be playing offside trap?

Reggaezal,

Since the title of your thread is 'solid defense' so Im wondering if you also tweak your Team Specific Instruction, especially defense line. I always believe that defense line is very important. You set Tight Marking for both CBs which for me is quite risky if u come up againts Rooney/Torres-type players. Any thought?

Ill give it a go with my valencia team and tell u how it goes

A good helpful guide,however im very happy with my own methods at the moment (see screenshot) If i start to struggle though ill certainly give it a bash.

A good helpful guide,however im very happy with my own methods at the moment (see screenshot) If i start to struggle though ill certainly give it a bash.

LOL w00T?! Only 4 goals conceded?! Which of your own tactics are you using? :O

Im also wondering the individual insturctions of your defensive minded midfielder and your team instructions, if you could post them please =)

also do you set opposition instructions before a match? I assume no like lol

Last edited:
Have been usin it for the past 10 games, took time for the tactics to take effect, but have conceded only 2 goals in the last 6 games. My problem at the moent though is scoring at the other end:)

What do you mean by closing down of 10 , 4 or 5?
its the amount of clicks when you view the tactics in advanced mode. eg. 10 means clicking the closing down 10 times to the right

10 to the right from which starting point?
All the way from the far left, or just from the middle?

far left. thats how i did it and it worked pretty well for me. pardon me if its the actual one means from the middle though.

Yeah I've been using similar philosophy of this kind of defense..
There is one trouble though.

The zonal defender is often like space out and stop marking anybody and just stand there.
I know he's zonal, but when a guy is in his zone he will automatically mark him, right?
But instead he just stand there and let the guy run pass his shoulder.

Anyone got any clue on this?
Should I just don't tight mark or more closing down or what?

I am useing the complete dominance tactic on override attack
Would this be a problem allso how would u useyour defencive mid
As atm he runs of after the wingers to much leaving the CDs open for long shots

Yeah I've been using similar philosophy of this kind of defense..
There is one trouble though.

The zonal defender is often like space out and stop marking anybody and just stand there.
I know he's zonal, but when a guy is in his zone he will automatically mark him, right?
But instead he just stand there and let the guy run pass his shoulder.

Anyone got any clue on this?
Should I just don't tight mark or more closing down or what?

Try setting the zonal defender to Cover, on very high closing down. and make sure he has enough pace to keep up with the striker.

OK just played for 1 game following your pictures for my QPR save And useing complete domaniance tactic I won But watched the other team have 5 CCC
the attacker was finding space between both my defenders
i understand my defenders arnt the best only 14 each in marking and slow as ****
I was wondering what line you keep
And like my post above what your def mid does to help out
I would get totaly battered against celsea as the two attackers move about leaving BIG holes for lampard to kill me
I only played one game so cant give you a totaly true reading Its just what i saw on my 1st game
Any help would be good TA

I am useing the complete dominance tactic on override attack
Would this be a problem allso how would u useyour defencive mid
As atm he runs of after the wingers to much leaving the CDs open for long shots

OK just played for 1 game following your pictures for my QPR save And useing complete domaniance tactic I won But watched the other team have 5 CCC
the attacker was finding space between both my defenders
i understand my defenders arnt the best only 14 each in marking and slow as ****
I was wondering what line you keep
And like my post above what your def mid does to help out
I would get totaly battered against celsea as the two attackers move about leaving BIG holes for lampard to kill me
I only played one game so cant give you a totaly true reading Its just what i saw on my 1st game
Any help would be good TA

Well.. I'm not using the CD tactic. I'm using my own Goals Galore. But I think it's a same issue in all.
Here's a problem with us, we set our mindset that defensive midfielder have to close down all the players in the field - thanks to Makalele's role.
But in FM, applying that kind of mindset added by the deafult setting of having DMCs closing down to whole pitch will destroy our defense, especially if we're up against wide-playing, long-shotting monsters like Chelsea with its Lampard or Gerrard in Liverpool.

So.. what you should to is lower down the DMC's closing down to right in the middle. That way he won't close down other wide players and leave big hole in the middle which will be exploited for long shots.

There are more tweakings especially against long shooters but it's too much to explain. It will applied differently to different tactics as it plays with mentality, marking, etc.

I would love it if you guys try it out yourself.. I can provide the tactic for you.

Attacking-wise currently I have 6-7 CCCs pergame and the opponent have almost none.
Their shots will mostly be long shots due to tweaking of mentality, closing down, marking, etc which I partly talked about above.
Just look at this
awsm.jpg

PM me if interested.

Try setting the zonal defender to Cover, on very high closing down. and make sure he has enough pace to keep up with the striker.

If you got Defend role but tweaked in cover players instructions, it will be more or less the same right?
Will do on the high closing down.. but how much?
Middle of the bar, just at the end of own half, or whole pitch?

I'm using Rivas so pace and (important last man tackling) would not be a problem

Last edited: