West Ham vs Manchester United - Carling Cup Quarter Finals

• Thread starter Thread starter DMF
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 292
  • Views Views 7K
Perhaps Carling Cup losses are a sign of things to come, look at Chelsea, hoping the same happens to United :D

Just watching the hour and a half highlights on SS1 now. Alot of changes to the United team but it seems like the more experienced players tended to struggle. Evans was given the roundaround by Cole, whilst Obinna looked very sharp by the looks of it.

It's now Arsenal's cup to win I guess. But the only problem could be if Wenger opts to give the kids a run out whilst West Ham turn out full strength. Could prove to be a close encounter. I'm sure most Arsenal fans don't care what trophy it is as long as they get one this season.

Just watching the hour and a half highlights on SS1 now. Alot of changes to the United team but it seems like the more experienced players tended to struggle. Evans was given the roundaround by Cole, whilst Obinna looked very sharp by the looks of it.

It's now Arsenal's cup to win I guess. But the only problem could be if Wenger opts to give the kids a run out whilst West Ham turn out full strength. Could prove to be a close encounter. I'm sure most Arsenal fans don't care what trophy it is as long as they get one this season.
Think that's a bold statement. Just because there the highest profile team left doesn't mean its theres to win. Still got some very tough games, could go to anyone. I'd love to see the Hammers win it.

Didn't Wenger practically promise the Arsenal fans a trophy this season?

Not sure of the exact quote though, so may be wrong.

Wouldn't surprise me if he went full steam ahead for this one, given they're strong favourites now.

Don't mean to sound like a broken record but Evans is F*in poor. He needs workout a lot more and should learn how to jump.
I had always thought Evans would atleast be as good as Pique. What was I smoking??

OShea must be the smartest man on the planet for getting 80k p/w for what he does. I mean, he can't pass the ball for his life.
And Modric earns less than him, which makes me think who handles these contracts for us.

so, one lost, not end of the world... they outplayed us, congratz on that... what should murinho say after match vs. barcelona ?

Amazing win for the Hammers last night.

LOL at the Arsenal fans getting excited at the prospect a trophy they have slated for years. Fickle bunch.

We went from from cheering and joy to despair and devastation in just three days.

But we will not be like Chelsea have been in recent times and start to slip up. One loss doesn't mean another three or four poor results will come our way.

Of course you're doing well in the other competitions... you've been playing your first team.

My comment was regarding squad depth, and turns out, the same team that an extremely poor Liverpool side beat 3-0 have turned your reserves over by 4 goals tonight.

Like I said, chin up, you said yourself you're doing well. :)

All of them players have played League, Champions league games this season, to very good standards, the fact they didnt perform in one Carling Cup game, means nothing to the standard of our squad or the state of it. Smalling for instance was shocking last night, but has looked really good in other games he has played. This is a blip. i bet if we played the game 10 more times with exactly the same teams, we would of gone through 7 or 8 times out of the 10. Just one of them days, where everything they do turns to gold, and everything we do turns to dust.

why would we me worried, hardly a lot of first teamers, there were 10 changes tonight

Man Utd: Kuszczak, O'Shea, Smalling, Evans, Fabio Da Silva,
Obertan, Fletcher, Anderson, Giggs, Hernandez, Bebe.
Subs: Amos, Brown, Park, Carrick, Rafael Da Silva, Macheda, Eikrem.

Definitely a reserve side that Mike (Y)

Suppose it shows your depth that you can make 10 changes and still have a lot of first teamers (I count at least 8, arguably 10+ with Macheda and Obertan and Brown).

Great result for the Hammers, though I'm sure Utd will bounce back with a fairly easy fixture against Blackpool. Expect another battering..

Man Utd: Kuszczak, O'Shea, Smalling, Evans, Fabio Da Silva,
Obertan, Fletcher, Anderson, Giggs, Hernandez, Bebe.
Subs: Amos, Brown, Park, Carrick, Rafael Da Silva, Macheda, Eikrem.

Definitely a reserve side that Mike (Y)

Suppose it shows your depth that you can make 10 changes and still have a lot of first teamers (I count at least 8, arguably 10+ with Macheda and Obertan and Brown).

Great result for the Hammers, though I'm sure Utd will bounce back with a fairly easy fixture against Blackpool. Expect another battering..

You class them as first teamers? :O the only one when everyone is available who would get anywhere near the starting line up is Flecther.

You class them as first teamers? :O the only one when everyone is available who would get anywhere near the starting line up is Flecther.

That's utter ****.

Park plays a lot of games, and is highly rated by SAF (and me..), Evans plays when one of Ferdinand or Vidic are out, so fairly often, or is on the bench. Hernandez has been playing every week when Rooney was out, and staking his claim. Carrick is definitely a first teamer, Fletcher is a regular, Rafael plays on a fairly regular basis, including AC Milan last year.. And I don't think you're actually suggesting Ryan Giggs is a reserve are you?

First Team for me means players on rotation, or starters every game, not just the latter. Unlike reserve players like Smalling, Eikrem, Macheda maybe, Amos, Fabio and Bebe.

That's utter ****.

Park plays a lot of games, and is highly rated by SAF (and me..), Evans plays when one of Ferdinand or Vidic are out, so fairly often, or is on the bench. Hernandez has been playing every week when Rooney was out, and staking his claim. Carrick is definitely a first teamer, Fletcher is a regular, Rafael plays on a fairly regular basis, including AC Milan last year.. And I don't think you're actually suggesting Ryan Giggs is a reserve are you?

First Team for me means players on rotation, or starters every game, not just the latter. Unlike reserve players like Smalling, Eikrem, Macheda maybe, Amos, Fabio and Bebe.

Carrick is now our 4th choice Central Midfielder, Herdanez was signed in the summer as a future star, the fact he has performed well so far, shouldnt over look the fact he is raw and not ready to be regularly relied on. Actually Smalling be playing more then evans recently, due to Jonny just coming back from an Injury, so he was no-where near 100%. Rafael is 19 years old, and very rarelky plays in big big games, anyway he came off the bench, when the game was over. I said flecther is a regular and the only one who would make an full stregthen side. Giggs is 37 years old, and i wouldnt class him as a major first team player anymore plus he just came back from injury.

Carrick is now our 4th choice Central Midfielder, Herdanez was signed in the summer as a future star, the fact he has performed well so far, shouldnt over look the fact he is raw and not ready to be regularly relied on. Actually Smalling be playing more then evans recently, due to Jonny just coming back from an Injury, so he was no-where near 100%. Rafael is 19 years old, and very rarelky plays in big big games, anyway he came off the bench, when the game was over. I said flecther is a regular and the only one who would make an full stregthen side. Giggs is 37 years old, and i wouldnt class him as a major first team player anymore plus he just came back from injury.

I see your point, but I still think your confusing First XI with First Team. The suggestion seems to be from all of you that you played reserves, in fact most of the players in the team, whether on the bench or starting, were First Team players. OK they may not get into the team week in, week out but they play enough to not be considered 'reserves'.

Otherwise though, fair enough re: Evans. If he's coming back from injury then this is the perfect time to play him, and Hernandez is obviously going to get better and better, but he's what? 3rd choice striker at least. He's also 22 so can hardly be considered a future prospect like Welbeck perhaps can, or Macheda.

You said Fletcher was the only one who could get "anywhere near the first team", which is different to being a regular. You also since admitted that Smalling has been playing recently. Rafael has made at least 30 appearances since he joined 2 years ago. 15 games a season isn't a player who just plays the odd games. He played against Milan, not through injury but because he was the best player to deal with Ronaldinho.

Also, unless you count Park as a CM, or Hargeaves as a regular, I'm not quite sure why Carrick is 4th choice behind Scholes and Fletcher and..?

It's just my opinion, it doesn't really mater one way or the other, Arsenal haven't taken this competition seriously recently, and have been punished. I think this team is admittedly not the strongest, just not a bunch of reserves and should have beaten WH easily. Basically I agree with Frankie to the extent that complacency clearly kicked in, and you need to bounce back with another win on saturday or whenever it is. I guess you can focus on the PL and CL now so it's not a crisis as CJACKO might argue, but it's a blow and a warning.

I see your point, but I still think your confusing First XI with First Team. The suggestion seems to be from all of you that you played reserves, in fact most of the players in the team, whether on the bench or starting, were First Team players. OK they may not get into the team week in, week out but they play enough to not be considered 'reserves'..
There part of a squad, but they where definitely the lower end of the squad. Most of them are closer to the reserve side then the first XI.

Just becuase they are good player, who would get in most other sides, doesnt make them first team regulars at our club.

Otherwise though, fair enough re: Evans. If he's coming back from injury then this is the perfect time to play him, and Hernandez is obviously going to get better and better, but he's what? 3rd choice striker at least. He's also 22 so can hardly be considered a future prospect like Welbeck perhaps can, or Macheda.

He did play, and i was happy that evans got a game, but he was always going to look rusty and out of sorts, having not played for nearly 2 months.

He was signed from the mexican league with no experience of Any real high level football apart from a few world cup games, i dont think SAF signed him to be a regular this season, What he has given us, i think is classed as a bonus rather then an expectation.

You said Fletcher was the only one who could get "anywhere near the first team", which is different to being a regular. You also since admitted that Smalling has been playing recently. Rafael has made at least 30 appearances since he joined 2 years ago. 15 games a season isn't a player who just plays the odd games. He played against Milan, not through injury but because he was the best player to deal with Ronaldinho.

Also, unless you count Park as a CM, or Hargeaves as a regular, I'm not quite sure why Carrick is 4th choice behind Scholes and Fletcher and..?

15 games a season when we play nearly 60 a season, isnt an major contribuation though really, yes he dealt well with Ronaldinho and recently stopped the "Best Left sided player in the world" Bale from doing annything. but he is young and didnt even start the game last night.

Small has played recently in a few games, to give rio a rest at times, but i think rio has played something like 8 of the last 9. SO there hasnt been many chances for Smalling since rio came back into the side.

Fletcher, Scholes, Park, Anderson and even gibson have performed better then carrick recently. I think before the blackburn game where carrick was magnicificant, many utd supporters including myself was ****** at him.

It's just my opinion, it doesn't really mater one way or the other, Arsenal haven't taken this competition seriously recently, and have been punished. I think this team is admittedly not the strongest, just not a bunch of reserves and should have beaten WH easily. Basically I agree with Frankie to the extent that complacency clearly kicked in, and you need to bounce back with another win on saturday or whenever it is. I guess you can focus on the PL and CL now so it's not a crisis as CJACKO might argue, but it's a blow and a warning.

We have won in twice on the trot, and your right we should of beaten this WH side, but credit where credit is due, they played brilliantly, why do we as an country always look for one sides short comings rather then another sides brilliance in any kind of sporting shock?

I think it is far from an crisis or even an warning, we lost one cup game all season. So what, at least it was this cup, rather then a league game tbh.

Yet again i never used the word "crisis". And the side Utd put out last night was easily good enough to get a result against the side that lie bottem of the PL.

West Ham United Ur Cup Final....just covers up the fact that you are going down this season!!!!
See You In The Championship NEXT YEAR!!!!

Yet again i never used the word "crisis". And the side Utd put out last night was easily good enough to get a result against the side that lie bottem of the PL.

You used the word crisis. We all saw it. Stop denying the fact.

Anyway, I agree with both Scott and Joss. This side was reserves IMO, but it was definitely strong enough to beat the WHU side last night. The whole team played poorly, rather than normally when one person will play badly but the team will pull him through and get the result.

No excuses, was just a poor performance. I don't think it will effect the rest of our season as most of them won't play in a big game against the likes of Chelsea etc, so the mentality of "we lost the last game" won't be there because the last game a lot of them would have played would have been the 7-1 win vs Blackburn. Blackpool away is the next game, so hopefully we can bounce back with a big win, but they will come at us without a doubt. Will be an entertaining game hopefully.

You used the word crisis. We all saw it. Stop denying the fact.

Anyway, I agree with both Scott and Joss. This side was reserves IMO, but it was definitely strong enough to beat the WHU side last night. The whole team played poorly, rather than normally when one person will play badly but the team will pull him through and get the result.

No excuses, was just a poor performance. I don't think it will effect the rest of our season as most of them won't play in a big game against the likes of Chelsea etc, so the mentality of "we lost the last game" won't be there because the last game a lot of them would have played would have been the 7-1 win vs Blackburn. Blackpool away is the next game, so hopefully we can bounce back with a big win, but they will come at us without a doubt. Will be an entertaining game hopefully.

Nope no one saw it and there is no proof that i used the word "crisis". So ******* drop it.

And stop saying it was your reserves, you have a first team SQUAD all these players have had PremierLeague and even Champions League expeirience absolutely no excuses what so ever.

Back