Who likes rap, and if so, Who is your favourite rap artist and song?

• Thread starter Sam
  • Start date
  • Replies 362
  • Views 24K
I think many people underestimate Dre as a rapper , nowadays most people think of him as nothin more than a producer , Still Dre and I Need A Doctor prove these people wrong.

Yes. I believe there are others who were better over a longer period of time(obviously) and have churned out quality album after quality album since they started. Big is higher in my list than PAC and I don't think PAC is in my top 5.

Pac was Big's older bro, who introduced Biggie to the concert stage when Pac was starting to make it in his early days. Did Biggie respond to Pac when Pac was constantly dissing him? Although I rate Nas' Ether as the best diss song, no diss song went as raw as that. Pac > Biggie.

Pac has dissed Nas, Jay-Z, Dre & look at how they ALL praise him after he disses them? Coz they know they are messin with a legend! Pac > All.

When most of the best rappers, past & present rate Pac so highly (as well as most of the world), including Eminem, who I rate in my top 5 all time. You can see some of Pac's style in Eminem.

hiphopahol, you're trying to argue that Pac wouldn't be as relevant today as other artists.
How can you say Pac is overrated because you think he wouldn't be successful today? That doesn't make somebody overrated lmao.
Hip hop has changed so much, and you think that is just down to co-incidence? IMO it really started dying when Pac & Biggie went.

Pac was Big's older bro, who introduced Biggie to the concert stage when Pac was starting to make it in his early days. Did Biggie respond to Pac when Pac was constantly dissing him? Although I rate Nas' Ether as the best diss song, no diss song went as raw as that. Pac > Biggie.

Pac has dissed Nas, Jay-Z, Dre & look at how they ALL praise him after he disses them? Coz they know they are messin with a legend! Pac > All.

When most of the best rappers, past & present rate Pac so highly (as well as most of the world), including Eminem, who I rate in my top 5 all time. You can see some of Pac's style in Eminem.

hiphopahol, you're trying to argue that Pac wouldn't be as relevant today as other artists.
How can you say Pac is overrated because you think he wouldn't be successful today? That doesn't make somebody overrated lmao.
Hip hop has changed so much, and you think that is just down to co-incidence? IMO it really started dying when Pac & Biggie went.

I agree with every word of that.

I think many people underestimate Dre as a rapper , nowadays most people think of him as nothin more than a producer , Still Dre and I Need A Doctor prove these people wrong.
I like Dre as a rapper but alot of his stuff is ghostwritten and losses alot of credibility as a rapper because of it.

I dont deny any of these facts but Pac was very hit and miss with the music he created. He has good songs but doesnt have a solid album to back them up. An album where every song on there is top quality and thats one reason he cant be called GOAT. not to mention the terrible back cataloge of work he has left behind.

Also by relevance I dont mean popularity. If you take it by popularity Snoop Dogg is more relevant now than ever before. Working with Katy Perry and the likes. I mean relevance towards the hiphop game. The quality of the music and his respect in the hiphop community. I guess if he was still alive, he, like alot of rappers nowadays would be alot more mainstream thus losing relevance in the Hip hop scene

I dont deny any of these facts but Pac was very hit and miss with the music he created. He has good songs but doesnt have a solid album to back them up. An album where every song on there is top quality and thats one reason he cant be called GOAT. not to mention the terrible back cataloge of work he has left behind.

Also by relevance I dont mean popularity. If you take it by popularity Snoop Dogg is more relevant now than ever before. Working with Katy Perry and the likes. I mean relevance towards the hiphop game. The quality of the music and his respect in the hiphop community. I guess if he was still alive, he, like alot of rappers nowadays would be alot more mainstream thus losing relevance in the Hip hop scene

Are you seriously saying that Pac didn't have a single good album and that the verses he left were terrible? Have you listened to 2Pacalypse Now (granted production wasn't the best)? The 7 Day Theory? Me Against the World? Also the actual back catalogue he left is far better than you hear on his posthumous albums, Afeni stupidly let people like Eminem come in and ruin it all to line their own pockets. Just compare the leaked OG tracks to what is one these albums.

Pac already had his taste of mainstream and he didn't like it, or was choosing to head away from it at least, when he was killed. Although there is a good chance he could have sold out he still had years of good material and I can only wish that Makaveli Records had come to exist.

I love "I need a Doctor". Perhaps more for Eminem than anything else, but along with the video the emotion packed into the song is quite amazing. Especially the way it just ends with Eazy-E's grave.

Are you seriously saying that Pac didn't have a single good album and that the verses he left were terrible? Have you listened to 2Pacalypse Now (granted production wasn't the best)? The 7 Day Theory? Me Against the World? Also the actual back catalogue he left is far better than you hear on his posthumous albums, Afeni stupidly let people like Eminem come in and ruin it all to line their own pockets. Just compare the leaked OG tracks to what is one these albums.

Pac already had his taste of mainstream and he didn't like it, or was choosing to head away from it at least, when he was killed. Although there is a good chance he could have sold out he still had years of good material and I can only wish that Makaveli Records had come to exist.

No im not saying he doesnt have a good album. He does, but none are classics and are metioned with the likes of Illmatic,MMLP, Liquid Swords ect. In my eyes this is due to most of his albums being a mixed bunch of excellent songs and mediocre songs.

As for the second paragraph its all guess work really. IMO if Pac was still alive he wouldnt be half as popular as he is today.

I guess its an agree to disagree situation. Im not gonna change anyones opinion and nobodys gonna change mine so lets move on . . .

i like rap sometimes and have no particular fave

---------- Post added at 01:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 AM ----------

tinie tempah 1 of my fave artist though

Sorry but this couldn't go unnoticed. First off, the whole tupac/biggie issue is over hyped, pac was lyrically a monster as biggie had a killer flow. To say they were the best ever? Not gonna happen. Wanna talk about deceased rappers, i'll throw in Big L, better than both of them. Second, hip hop is dying? why? because Nas said so and made it a video? If you really think hip hop is dead, you'll have to search deeper. You'll find hip hop is alive and kicking with or without pac/biggie, just by wandering through some posts on this thread. Not taking anything from them, they were great, just overrated.

How can someone say rap died after Pac&Biggie? Eminem is all you need....IMO.
I find most other rappers boring. Auto tunes and all that ****!

Just like Eminem said about hip hop before his comeback. It's not so much about lyrics anymore..it's about the beat. Im very happy there is still one 38 year old lyrical genius....

And Dr.Dre is good too. Especially in "i need a doctor". Haven't heard about his old music so much.

'You don’t owe me your life
But that could change one roll of the dice
And then money try to go for his knife
I’mma levitate his body to the sky until he’s homies with Christ'

What a beast,
Vinnie Paz - WarMonger

How can someone say rap died after Pac&Biggie? Eminem is all you need....IMO.
I find most other rappers boring. Auto tunes and all that ****!

Just like Eminem said about hip hop before his comeback. It's not so much about lyrics anymore..it's about the beat. Im very happy there is still one 38 year old lyrical genius....

And Dr.Dre is good too. Especially in "i need a doctor". Haven't heard about his old music so much.

Typical.

You think if Pac & Big was alive , Eminem would be half as popular as he is?
Dying helped both Pac & Big's popularity but their music still lives on , people still listen to their music 10/15 years after they died.
They is still a couple of rappers left alive better than Eminem in my opinion but they do not the same media coverage so hardly anyone has heard of them.
You see it everywhere , peopling posting on Facebook etc. "Eminem is the best ever!" , these people do not know a thing about rap , they listen to things like 'Not Afraid and Love The Way You Lie' and think they're two of the best rap songs of all time.
No doubt Eminem is talented but he isn't in the Top 10 of all time in my opinion.

My Top 10 Rappers

1) Tupac Shakur
2) Notorious B.I.G
3) Rakim
4) Nas
5) Eazy-E
6) Jay-Z
7) Big L
8) Snoop Dogg
9) Big Pun
10) LL Cool J

Last edited:

Urgh, Diplomats:mad: You wanted to post a Jay-Z diss, you could post 'Got yourself a Gun' by Nas. Jay Z has long been Biggie's duplicate. **** that, you can have influences, but not copycat them. The problem with Jay Z is that he really thinks he is the Boss.

Just so you know, want to see a Notorious BIG's disciple, don't look further than RA The Rugged Man. The most slept on rapper of all time. A true genius, underground legend.

@ A*Manager, too many G-Rappers on that list :p, and by the words of the almighty Sean Price: 'Gangsta Rappers can't fight, so they rap about guns'

Urgh, Diplomats:mad: You wanted to post a Jay-Z diss, you could post 'Got yourself a Gun' by Nas. Jay Z has long been Biggie's duplicate. **** that, you can have influences, but not copycat them. The problem with Jay Z is that he really thinks he is the Boss.

Just so you know, want to see a Notorious BIG's disciple, don't look further than RA The Rugged Man. The most slept on rapper of all time. A true genius, underground legend.

@ A*Manager, too many G-Rappers on that list :p, and by the words of the almighty Sean Price: 'Gangsta Rappers can't fight, so they rap about guns'

That was the reason I posted tbh. And Im at work and thats the first video I thought of. No sound here to cant listen to any others!

Back on Rappers in general, I quite like Commons Go Album