Who likes rap, and if so, Who is your favourite rap artist and song?

• Thread starter Sam
  • Start date
  • Replies 362
  • Views 23K
Nowadays, the best Eminem gets is to get you motivated to commit suicide.

How? Please tell me...name a song that is sooo bad or depressing.

And what gets you motivated for rugby and that kind of **** sports?

Last edited:
Lupe Fiasco is my favourite rapper at the moment. Listen to some of the more old school rap normally though.

Eminem is over-rated pure and simple.

The only reason people nowadays regard as the best alive is because of the media coverage he gets.
I can guarantee at least 60% of the people who say Eminem is the best alive have never even heard of people like Nas who don't get the same attention.

How? Please tell me...name a song that is sooo bad or depressing.

And what gets you motivated for rugby and that kind of **** sports?

Really? I'll tell, but you have to promise you'll listen to'em.

Zeminem: Love the way you Lie, I'm not afraid (as long as the rest of his latest album). Sad lyric, kick-*** chorus, kick-*** beat (his beats are better than his singing nowadays) and voilá! A song for emo's.

Motivation: Walk in New York by Onyx, Torture Papers by AOTP, Smart Went Crazy by Atmosphere

The list goes on :)

Eminem is over-rated pure and simple.

The only reason people nowadays regard as the best alive is because of the media coverage he gets.
I can guarantee at least 60% of the people who say Eminem is the best alive have never even heard of people like Nas who don't get the same attention.

Not really, people like Nas are amazingly gifted. But you're doing a great injustice to Eminem with those comments, he's almost a victim of his own success. If you bother to look past his current mainstream stuff, he has a lyrical ability and flow right up there with the best. When partnered with a producer like Dre, then his success is no surprise. Even on Recovery, which you could say is his most commercial album yet, it still has songs like "You're never over" which is beautifully written and performed.

He's also aware of him "selling out", who wouldn't in his position? Doesn't make him less of an artist because you can't be bothered to see past the radio though.

Not really, people like Nas are amazingly gifted. But you're doing a great injustice to Eminem with those comments, he's almost a victim of his own success. If you bother to look past his current mainstream stuff, he has a lyrical ability and flow right up there with the best. When partnered with a producer like Dre, then his success is no surprise. Even on Recovery, which you could say is his most commercial album yet, it still has songs like "You're never over" which is beautifully written and performed.

He's also aware of him "selling out", who wouldn't in his position? Doesn't make him less of an artist because you can't be bothered to see past the radio though.

All true mate, but that doesn't make of him an underground artist again. Having done some good stuff in the past. I might be overreacting, and unfair on Marshall, but he is NOT the best rapper around, hes hardly a rapper nowadays.

Eminem isn't even the best rapper in/from Michigan, never mind the world. He does have good lyrical ability, although personally I find his flow lacking most of the time, but he's another wasted talent who could be so much better if he wasn't concerned with his almost formulaic approach to maximising sales.

All true mate, but that doesn't make of him an underground artist again. Having done some good stuff in the past. I might be overreacting, and unfair on Marshall, but he is NOT the best rapper around, hes hardly a rapper nowadays.

Yeah I'm not saying he's underground or the greatest of course. But to disregard his talent and call him over-rated is stupid. Some of his classics, while not the best, are certainly up there. The opinion is also subjective, just because you don't think personally think he's the greatest doesn't mean everyone does. His style might appeal to someone more than say, Nas. So that person, no matter how educated in rap history they were, would prefer Eminem. The key to the debate is that their levels of talent are somewhat comparable, rather than comparing Soulja Boy for instance.

Ma$e

[video=youtube;VVBnClJ6WZ4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVBnClJ6WZ4[/video]

Fabolous, loved him, not sure what happened to him, just up and left!

I must say I love my hip-hop (rap) but I dont know all these underground rappers n ****, I like who I like, Nas, Dre, Snoop, The Game, Lil Wayne etc are awesome :)

Yes yes yes. I am no big fan of rap but Harlem World is such an immense album. Have you heard Take What's Yours? One of Ma$e's very best imo.

Lol, sorry 'mate', but it seems to me you are the ignorant here. I've said this a lot of times. Old Zeminem might have been good (not great, nor the greatest), but he's just a pop-singer nowadays. Lemme guess, you belong to the masses that listen to 'Love the way you lie' (Ofc now you'll deny it) on MTV.

= Mainstream, Pop.

Eminem sings for teenage emo's, there's a big difference in doing it for the kids (raising awareness, try to keep kids out of: gangs, drugs, crimes) and performing for kids (being generally sad, thinking the world is against you, making incredibly ****** music).

Every time someone criticizes Eminem, comes the odd 'oh and what about his older stuff?' I've been hearing Hip-Hop for roughly two decades, so you can imagine I know his previous stuff. And I don't love it. There's a LOT better. And btw this thread is about Tinie Tempah, who I honestly never heard, and don't plan to.

Oh, next you're gonna tell me B.O.B. is Eminem's successor as rap's greatest? HA! (this sentence is sooooooo wrong in soooooo many levels)

Why dismiss my opinion there and then agree with me in this thread? No, I don't belong to the masses of "Love the way you lie", now THAT is an ignorant assumption to make. Yes, I know there is better out there. Music is generally opinionated, who are you to tell me his old stuff isn't great? It's appreciated by most, and not even the "masses". His style generally appears to people more, to stereotype - White people. I'm aware that from a strictly technical standpoint there are better out there, but to dismiss Eminem on the spot is ridiculous, he's certainly no Soulja Boy, right?

I could easily level criticism at the less well known "more talented" rappers, that they lack the talent to create music that can be commercially successful. Eminem is one of the very few in the market right now that can pack his music full of emotional lyrics and still have a top selling album, and you're going to criticise him for that? Yes, he needs to release a "Not afraid" to do it, but to achieve it? You can't put a value on a talent like that.

****, you should be thanking him for increasing exposure to rap with actual meaningful lyrics and technical ability, rather than 95% of the stuff released. Exposure can only be a good thing to help the industry grow, right?

I also don't define how good lyrics are by their actual content, more the raw emotion contained in the song. I'm not from the background where I'm affected by drugs, gangs etc. so maybe I'm just less touched that way. I love the songs where Eminem is going on about his life, his troubles and his experiences. His best material has come from his most painful times (Kim, childhood, drug addiction, proof's death, Haillie etc.) Just because he doesn't have a true cause in what his saying doesn't impact on the emotional content whatsoever. But as I say, I don't come from the other background so maybe that's why I prefer him, but I can certainly appreciate other's ability.

Post came out longer than I meant.

Why dismiss my opinion there and then agree with me in this thread? No, I don't belong to the masses of "Love the way you lie", now THAT is an ignorant assumption to make. Yes, I know there is better out there. Music is generally opinionated, who are you to tell me his old stuff isn't great? It's appreciated by most, and not even the "masses". His style generally appears to people more, to stereotype - White people. I'm aware that from a strictly technical standpoint there are better out there, but to dismiss Eminem on the spot is ridiculous, he's certainly no Soulja Boy, right?

I could easily level criticism at the less well known "more talented" rappers, that they lack the talent to create music that can be commercially successful. Eminem is one of the very few in the market right now that can pack his music full of emotional lyrics and still have a top selling album, and you're going to criticise him for that? Yes, he needs to release a "Not afraid" to do it, but to achieve it? You can't put a value on a talent like that.

****, you should be thanking him for increasing exposure to rap with actual meaningful lyrics and technical ability, rather than 95% of the stuff released. Exposure can only be a good thing to help the industry grow, right?

I also don't define how good lyrics are by their actual content, more the raw emotion contained in the song. I'm not from the background where I'm affected by drugs, gangs etc. so maybe I'm just less touched that way. I love the songs where Eminem is going on about his life, his troubles and his experiences. His best material has come from his most painful times (Kim, childhood, drug addiction, proof's death, Haillie etc.) Just because he doesn't have a true cause in what his saying doesn't impact on the emotional content whatsoever. But as I say, I don't come from the other background so maybe that's why I prefer him, but I can certainly appreciate other's ability.

Post came out longer than I meant.

'I might be overreacting' thats why I slated you on the other post, tried to make it up on this one. Obviously you didn't get it/didn't want to get it, care to think a little?

If you "don't define how good are lyrics by their actual content", then I don't know why I'm arguing over rap with you. Your meaning of rap is completely twisted. And you say you don't belong to the masses... Not that it is a bad thing (it is, after all, sheep), just a fact. You don't know **** about the culture some of us stand for and live by. Yeah Zeminem is a poor fella, being a white man in a black dominated 'sport' (didn't want to take it to the racial facts, but you forced me) is rough. Like he is the only one. big effin Elle Oh Elle. Go listen to R.A. the Rugged Man if you need a stereotyped underrated rapper. Eminem is a drop in an ocean.

I should thank Eminem? Now that's a good one. Here was me, thinking I should thank to the likes of Tupac and The Notorious, Onyx and Wu-Tang, Beastie Boys and House of Pain, Nas and Mobb Deep. But no, I should thank to Zeminem, for making my culture a mockery, spreading it all over tv shows, commercials, etc etc etc. Yeah Zeminem, thank you and Dr. Dre for bringing the latest Fiddy Cent to the World. Awesome having the population thinking that rap is nothing but ***** and rims.

You know nothing about what you are talking about, and long posts don't make you look like you do.

'I might be overreacting' thats why I slated you on the other post, tried to make it up on this one. Obviously you didn't get it/didn't want to get it, care to think a little?

If you "don't define how good are lyrics by their actual content", then I don't know why I'm arguing over rap with you. Your meaning of rap is completely twisted. And you say you don't belong to the masses... Not that it is a bad thing (it is, after all, sheep), just a fact. You don't know **** about the culture some of us stand for and live by. Yeah Zeminem is a poor fella, being a white man in a black dominated 'sport' (didn't want to take it to the racial facts, but you forced me) is rough. Like he is the only one. big effin Elle Oh Elle. Go listen to R.A. the Rugged Man if you need a stereotyped underrated rapper. Eminem is a drop in an ocean.

I should thank Eminem? Now that's a good one. Here was me, thinking I should thank to the likes of Tupac and The Notorious, Onyx and Wu-Tang, Beastie Boys and House of Pain, Nas and Mobb Deep. But no, I should thank to Zeminem, for making my culture a mockery, spreading it all over tv shows, commercials, etc etc etc. Yeah Zeminem, thank you and Dr. Dre for bringing the latest Fiddy Cent to the World. Awesome having the population thinking that rap is nothing but ***** and rims.

You know nothing about what you are talking about, and long posts don't make you look like you do.

Don't act like I care about your "culture", because I don't care, I really don't. Just because I said thank Eminem doesn't mean you ignore the others, sigh.

You mis-understand me, I don't care if Eminem's lyrics are about himself or trying to get kids off drugs. My life isn't affected by drugs, so I don't make the connection. I can, however connect more to Eminem, thus I prefer him. Hurr durr difficult concept there, bro.

Stop being such a ******* elitist, don't act like I said Eminem was the best there ever was, I didn't. I was putting forth arguments for why he shouldn't be considered with the rest of the mainstream, which you seemingly agreed with earlier. And if you think he and B.O.B are on the same level, then you sir, don't know what you are talking about.

I've already said Tupac, Wu-Tang, Nas etc. are probably more technically gifted, so don't try and turn it on me like I'm just following the masses of "Not Afraid", seriously, it's insulting.

And I re-quoted you because your other post made points that I could make counters off, not especially targeted at you, more a foundation to argue from.

Also, why the change of heart. Why agree with me and then go balls out saying I know nothing? I'm not claiming to know more about rap than you, because I don't. But my stance hasn't changed, so why the sudden change of heart?

Last edited:
As you obviously have no idea of what you are talking about and "don't care about my 'culture'" (again turning it into a mockery, yes, rap is a culture) I will chose to end this conversation. I'm repeating myself, which I don't like. As we say here in Portugal "Estou a desperdiçar o meu latim."

As you obviously have no idea of what you are talking about and "don't care about my 'culture'" (again turning it into a mockery, yes, rap is a culture) I will chose to end this conversation. I'm repeating myself, which I don't like. As we say here in Portugal "Estou a desperdiçar o meu latim."

Maybe I've got carried away a bit far into where my knowledge isn't so great now, but still, my first post in this thread that you agreed with is my true thoughts. Since you agree with that on some level, agree to disagree?