You Are The Ref

Status
Not open for further replies.
You Are The Ref: Answers

You-are-the-Ref-Friedel-003.jpg

KEITH HACKETT:

1. First, disallow the goal and dismiss the attacking player for violent conduct: lashing out with his elbow clearly endangers the safety of his opponent. Second, caution the defender for his act of unsporting behaviour in attempting a rugby tackle. And third, award a penalty, the rugby tackle was the first offence.

2. You can agree to their request. There is a precedent: a shoot-out at a 2004 Asian Cup Quarter Final - Japan v Jordan - was moved to the other end due to the state of the pitch when the score was 0-1after three kicks. Japan won 4-3. The only check you need to make before moving a shoot-out after it has started is to talk to stadium security, who may have asked for it to take place at a specific end for safety reasons.

3. The laws about crowd incitement don't just cover the removal of the shirt - this is exactly the same sort of gesture, so you must show him a second yellow, followed by a red. Restart play with a kick-off in the normal way.

1 Goal
2 Dont switch
3 Give him a yellow, he shouldve ensured his pants were tied tighter

1) Allow the goal to stand. Defender is red-carded.
2) Change ends.
3) Second yellow card, hence a sending off.

This of course should depend on the circumstances, if it's in the champions league semi final in the last minute, then the ref should leave it, it's a natural show of passion and the more experienced referees will leave it. However that said, if this is just a normal league game, then this is correct.

1 Goal
2 Dont switch
3 Give him a yellow, he shouldve ensured his pants were tied tighter

Um. Wrong. Answers posted above your post XD Wait till next week for the next edition!

I certainly wasn't expecting the answer to the first one, I would have thought that if you disallow the goal, then it has to be a red card for the defender too, who was presumably the last man and committing a (un)professional foul, similar to the 2006 final when Ronaldinho (i think) was fouled by Lehmann outside the box, Barca scored, but it was disallowed and Lehmann was sent off and a FK given, to be fair, Ronnie-D didn't elbow him in the face. :S

1 Red card for the defender, yellow card for the foward and a penalty
2 Should not switch sides
3 Ref should give the yellow card guy a warning

I should maybe close this until friday.. people are still posting their guesses even though i've posted the answers..

It's Friday, so that means i can re-open this thread, and post up the next set of questions for the game:

Starring Howard Webb, tattoos, and an injured goalkeeper.
You-are-the-Ref-Webb-003.jpg

Click to enlarge, and debate the strip below. Keith Hackett's verdict appears in Sunday's Observer and on the Guardian website from Monday, like last week, I'll post the answers on Sunday, then re-close so people don't continue to guess!

1.Yes I would give the goal, its too bad the goalkeeper was protesting my decision when he knew it would amount to nothing

2.I would either ask the player to wash the ink off his face..or else RED CARD

3.I would ask the team to either have one permanent keeper for the rest of the match or no keeeper, I will not allow the swapping

1. Allow the goal, it was my decision to let them take it quickly, it is the keepers own fault.
2. Send him off the field and tell the clubs staff to wash it off.
3. I'd disallow it, tell the team they can only have one keeper for the rest of the match.

1. Disallow the goal. Give the goalkeeper a yellow card and have the freekick re-taken. (I've been booked for thumping a freekick off someone who refused to move, although I'm not sure what the ref SHOULD do in the situation).

2. Send the player off the field to get it removed.

3. Refuse to allow them to change.

Good game, although these are complete guesses.

1. Too bad, I allowed it to be taken quickly and as it was indirect, it is a goal because it touched/deflected off of another player before going in.

2. Remove the player from the pitch and have him wash it off, if he refuses, red card

3. Allow the initial swap, but not any after that.

It's Friday, so that means i can re-open this thread, and post up the next set of questions for the game:

Starring Howard Webb, tattoos, and an injured goalkeeper.
You-are-the-Ref-Webb-003.jpg

Click to enlarge, and debate the strip below. Keith Hackett's verdict appears in Sunday's Observer and on the Guardian website from Monday, like last week, I'll post the answers on Sunday, then re-close so people don't continue to guess!

No dissalow the goal and make it get re-taken

Book them both

Say no and tell them you can use one keeper only

1. No goal. The free kick should be INDIRECT and thus should be taken again.
2. It is indelible, so it's not going to come off easily. If there is an independent person from the same nation as the striker, then ask them to translate. If not, no action. We don't know that the away team captain can actually speak the language on said bald players head.
3. Disallow the swap. If he wants to go up to help with an attacking move then that's OK but no swapping with other players.

1) Disallow the goal and award a free-kick to the defending team. As far as I am aware, from an indirect freekick, the 'other touch' has to come from the attacking team and not from the defending team.

2) Send the player off the pitch to get the writing removed or covered up.

3) As long as they notify of the swap it is fine, just allow extra time at the end for the changes.

1. Goal

2. Ask for translator...xD

3. They can swap pos. , I woudnt do nothing....

1. Goal. The touch can come from any team - I've seen one which was purposely aimed at the wall, deflected in, and the goal was given.

2. Ask for the writing to be removed.

3. Agree to each swap. This comes with extra added time, of course.

Last edited:
1.Allow the goal
2.Do Nothing, resume with play.
3.Potentially book players for time wasting

1. Disallow the goal, make the team re-take the free-kick
2. Send the player off the field to get it wiped off...
3. Tell them to allocate a permanent keeper and give a warning for time-wasting

Status
Not open for further replies.