You Are The Ref

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Red card + penalty since the whistle had already been blown.
2. Play on
3. Give the goal, should have taken a better corner :D .

View the Kitbag Range

For a chance to win a club shirt from the range at Kitbag.com send us your questions for You are the Ref to [email protected]. The best scenario used in the new Observer YATR strip each Sunday wins a shirt of your choice from Kitbag. .Terms & conditions apply.

For more on the fifty year history of You Are The Ref, click here.

Last edited:
1. red card + penalty (goal disallowed)
2. play on, it wasn't a pass to the keeper.
3. allow the goal.

Interesting answers to these, i can post them up today, or i can wait until tomorrow to post them directly from the Guardian website.. what does anyone think/want?

I say wait 'till tomorrow ;)

Also, Joss. That competition ended May 2010, all the entries were to be in April 2010 :/

Last edited:
I say wait 'till tomorrow ;)

Also, Joss. That competition ended May 2010, all the entries were to be in April 2010 :/

Oh. My bad, oh well...

Keith Hackett's verdict
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Having blown your whistle before the ball hit the back of the net, you now have no choice: award a penalty and send the defender off. If
you had delayed your whistle to wait for the outcome of the move, you would have been in a position to award the goal – the defender would
then have received a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.
Sean DeLoughry wins the shirt for this question.
2) Play on. The defender is not guilty of dangerous play (defined as "any action that, while trying to play the ball, threatens injury to someone, including the player himself"), and he did not deliberately pass the ball back to the keeper with his foot, so there's no offence.
Thanks to Carlos Alonso.
3) A corner to the home team. The law is clear on this: "A goal may be scored directly from a corner kick, but only against the opposing team."
So the away team corner kicker has effectively managed to kick the ball behind his own goalline. Thanks to Orkhan Mammadov.

This weeks You are the Ref includes Gérard Houllier, nifty juggling and a chimpanzee.
You-are-the-Ref-Houllier-005.jpg

As always, click to enlarge and debate the strip below the line.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Questions up, more tricky this time i think. Good luck!

Last edited:
1.Don't allow the monkey to play - FA rules state a player must be 16 or over to participate in a football match. The monkey is 3.

2.This should be allowed.

3.Yes, the ball stopped.

1- Let him play.
2- Play on.
3- I will not intervene. It wasn't the keepers fault.

Last edited:
1. Dont allow him to play - Players must be 16 or over the chimp is 3
2. Do nothing as he headed it back
3.No let the keeper play on

1.Don't allow the monkey to play - FA rules state a player must be 16 or over to participate in a football match. The monkey is 3.

Doesn't say it's an FA game. Plus maybe in monkey age he could be older than 16.

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

2. Do nothing as he headed it back

He flicked it back

Doesn't say it's an FA game. Plus maybe in monkey age he could be older than 16.

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

He flicked it back

Well I think in just about every game you need to be 16, irrelevant of which FA is in control of the game, as long as it's professional football, you need to be 16. Monkey age thing is also irrelevant.

Also, it does say he headed it back.

1. The monkey can play - I believe you don't have to be a certain age to play, and animals aren't banned
2. Yes it's fine, because the guy has headed back to the keeper.
3. Let him re-take it

1. The monkey can play - I believe you don't have to be a certain age to play, and animals aren't banned
2. Yes it's fine, because the guy has headed back to the keeper.
3. Let him re-take it

Are you on about just friendly matches or all types?

OK... Let's move on from the monkey/age argument, i think he probably wouldn't be able to play - because he's a monkey.. not because he's only 3, but i may be wrong, certainly have to report it to the authorities after the game that they tried..

1 - no he is a monkey oO) i dont think there is an age limit for friendly's though
2 - nothing he headed it back
3 - freekick inside the box for hand ball

:'(

This one hasn't attracted as much interest..

Nonetheless, for those who did play along - here are the answers..

Keith Hackett's verdict

1) I can't say I ever faced this scenario in my career, but it's best to be prepared for anything... You'll have to say no: one of your roles as a ref is to protect the image of the game. And if anyone argues, point them towards these two facts: the initial "Notes on the Laws" refer only to men and women, not chimps, and in any case, in open-age football, the chimp would have to be over 16 years old – so he's the wrong species, and he's underage too... Thanks to Richard Clifton for the question.

2) Although the defender headed the ball to his keeper, he used his foot to allow him to do so. So, pretty clearly, the defender has attempted to circumvent the law. Caution (yellow card) the defender, and restart with an indirect free-kick to the attacking team from where he headed the ball. Michael Lee wins the shirt.

3) No: play on. The keeper is allowed to gather the ball when bouncing it, and although the ball has become stuck in the mud, his bouncing is not considered complete until the ball returns to his hands. The law also states that "a goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball while in the act of bouncing it". Your only other consideration at this stage is whether the pitch is still playable. Thanks to John Lennon.

Are you posting the one for this weekend Joss? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.