You Are The Ref

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) Disallow the goal and award a free-kick to the defending team. As far as I am aware, from an indirect freekick, the 'other touch' has to come from the attacking team and not from the defending team.

That is false Sean, the touch can come off any player be it attacking or defending. I've embarrassed myself playing in goal thinking I'd be clever and chest an indirect free kick casually, it hit a bobble in front of me clipped shoulder and went in.

1. Allow the goal, it was my decision to let them take it quickly, it is the keepers own fault.
2. Send him off the field and tell the clubs staff to wash it off.
3. I'd disallow it, tell the team they can only have one keeper for the rest of the match.

All of the same answers for me.

Answers tomorrow, because i don't have the Guardian today.

1. Goal
2. Remove the writing
3. Allow the switch

Keith Hackett's verdict
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Yes. Provided the kick-taker did not use excessive force when he aimed the ball at the keeper, he's done nothing wrong: it's a salutary lesson for the keeper, who should have been concentrating on the match, not on complaining. Thanks to Nelson Herbert for the question.

2) Speak to the player. Let him know that you will allow him to play, provided he reports to you after the game so that you can take a photo of the slogan on his head, which you will then send with your report to the FA, so it can be translated. It would be interesting to see his reaction if it is indeed an abusive message. Thanks to Guy Pierce.

3) Providing they communicate the changes to you before making them, and providing that the goalkeeper is clearly identified at all times, then this is allowed in law. Also be aware that, at every corner kick, the change back can only take place during a stoppage in the game. You can only intervene if you believe this is a deliberate tactic to waste time. Tell the away team to cool down, and make them aware that the home side are acting within the laws. Ben Marlow wins the shirt for this question.

I'll close this again until next week. Congratulations to any of you who got any or all three right!
Check back here on Friday for the next in the series: "You Are The Ref"

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 PM ----------

I have re-opened this one, but DON'T keep posting answers, you are, however free to discuss the answers just posted.

I don't know most of the rules in many situations, but let's say what I would do:

1.- Give the goal. It's goalkeepers' fault if he still keep on protesting.
2.- Order the guy to remove the message, it's not allowed whatever it means.
3.- I would forbid them to swap the goalkeeper.

Ups, didn't see it was resolved already. Not bad for me anyway.

The abusive message one is interesting, if it was me I would have sent him back down into the dressing room to have it washed off . If he can't get it off, its his problem.

Last edited:
Week 3

This week, Paul Trevillion's classic strip stars Edgar Davids, a foul in the box, a flying leg and a comedy corner in gale-force wind:
You-are-the-Ref-Edgar-Dav-003.jpg

As usual, Click to enlarge, and debate the strip below. Keith Hackett's verdict appears in Sunday's Observer and here from Monday.

Debate away!

I'll give it a shot this week, but i usually fail miserably:
1. Disallow the goal, and issue a red card to the defender in question. This happened in the 2006 Champions League Final between Arsenal and Barcelona, but that was outside the box, and Lehmann was sent off, with Eto'o's subsequently ruled out, Ronaldinho took the freekick, but didn't score. At the time i thought it was the wrong decision, largely because as an arsenal fan, i felt Lehmann was significantly better than Almunia, and with 70/80 minutes to play we had time to get two goals and win the match, with eleven men, rather than trying to play it at 0-0 with 10. But it probably was the right decision.
2. It's not the clearest picture, but by the looks of it, it's more of an interception/tackle than it is a pass, so i'd allow play to go on, but i would probably ask my assistant if he had a better view of it, and whether it looked accidental or not.
3. These are difficult! And ****** odd... Give the goal, if you can score directly from a corner, and you can score own goals then i don't see why this shouldn't be given, unless the conditions mean the game isn't playable, in which case the match should have been abandoned before the 90th minute. I'd also raise the issues with the authorities after the game and in my match report.

1. Disallow the goal, send the defender off and award the penalty, as the whistle as already been blown an indication to stop play. Also pray the team score the penalty

2.Play on the defender was trying to tackle the player rather than knock it back to the keeper.

3. No goal although it is impossible to do in real life :p the ref should not allow the goal but maybe award the team a corner instead

1. Disallow the goal, give a red to the defender, and a penalty.
2. Allow play to continue - It wasn't a foul as the striker was untouched, and judging by the picture/caption, it was more of a knock to the side than a pass back.
3. Give the goal. It is the taker's fault for slicing the corner, and the keepers/defenders fault for going up-field. Also, if goals can be scored directly from corners, I'm guessing own goals are too.

1 - Disallow the goal , red card to the defender, give a penalty.

2 - Play on!

3 - Allow the goal.

1) Allow the goal and red card the player.
2) Give an indirect free kick and book the goalie.
3) Allow the goal

1.Disallow the goal as the foul was the first offence, give the defender a straight red card and award a penalty

2.Warn the Deefender of dangerous play and continue on with the game if he does it again then action will be taken

3.Allow an Own Goal as its is the team's fault that they asked their goalie to go up to attack

No goal, penalty kick

Do nothing, unless I decide that it is a pass back

Goal. It's there own fault for not leaving anyone back to deal with it.

Week 3

This week, Paul Trevillion's classic strip stars Edgar Davids, a foul in the box, a flying leg and a comedy corner in gale-force wind:
You-are-the-Ref-Edgar-Dav-003.jpg

As usual, Click to enlarge, and debate the strip below. Keith Hackett's verdict appears in Sunday's Observer and here from Monday.

Debate away!

I'll give it a shot this week, but i usually fail miserably:

1. Red card the defender and give a pen as the whistle was blown before he shot
2. Play on
3. Give the goal

1 - if the ball hit the net before your whistle blew then award a goal, if after peno, red for the defender
2 - play on it wasnt a pass and his foot wasnt high just his leg
3 - LOL & ROFL, give the goal and laugh at the corner taker again

1. No goal. It was scored following the whistle. Red to the defender, penalty.
2. Ask the assistant, but my first instinct would be to let play continue.
3. A tough one really, but since you can get goals from corners and own goals, it'll stand.

Status
Not open for further replies.