Hey andrichbrand!

What do you do when you are playing away from Old trafford with the United tactic?

Cheers.
Nothing. The only time I will change something is when I play away against a real strong team IE. Real, Barca, Chelsea, Man City and Bayern. I will go counter and fluid.

Is it a good match with "drop deeper" and play with offside trap? I have seen many people say, that it is a bad idea. That you should instead play with high d-line, when you use offside?

Is it a good match with "drop deeper" and play with offside trap? I have seen many people say, that it is a bad idea. That you should instead play with high d-line, when you use offside?
With the right set of defender you can play a deep line and offside trap. It stops the opponent wingers from running around your fullbacks.

Okay. What is the right set of defender then?
Well my last season I finished with United (2014/2015), I only conceded 19 goals and I used Jones and Evans, with Juan Jesus and Garay as back up. So Fast, Positioning, Anticipation and Team Work.

My right backs was Clyne and van Anholt
My left backs was Evra and Buttner.

mate this tactic defensively is incredible.. and offensively it does not hold back neither..
with AS Roma :
won the coppa italia and came 2nd to Juve by a point in the first season (buying/selling no one)
2nd season won the treble (coppa italia, league and champions league) just lost the super cup
3rd season won the quadruple (coppa italia, league (just two losses and 11 conceded 106 points), european super cup and world club championship, lost the italian super cup as well as the CL in the final vs barcelona 2-0 dominated but could not score)

mate this tactic defensively is incredible.. and offensively it does not hold back neither..
with AS Roma :
won the coppa italia and came 2nd to Juve by a point in the first season (buying/selling no one)
2nd season won the treble (coppa italia, league and champions league) just lost the super cup
3rd season won the quadruple (coppa italia, league (just two losses and 11 conceded 106 points), european super cup and world club championship, lost the italian super cup as well as the CL in the final vs barcelona 2-0 dominated but could not score)
Glad you are enjoying the tactic mate. With all these legend tacticians releasing tactics, I think the tactic is over looked, but then again I might be a bit basis.

But great results mate. Thanks for the update. Really appreciate it.

with AS Roma :

which one are you using?

Glad you are enjoying the tactic mate. With all these legend tacticians releasing tactics, I think the tactic is over looked, but then again I might be a bit basis.

But great results mate. Thanks for the update. Really appreciate it.

indeed mate no problem at all! thank you for releasing it!

which one are you using?

the 442 back to basics..i started a new game with at. madrid and wanted to test the man utd tactic wasn't doing too well switched to the back to basics 8 wins in a row incredible!

another great season with at. madrid (first season only signed arteta and subotic)
came 3rd in la liga (not as good as real life haha) but barcelona was just too good..
standings were as follows:
1. Barcelona 96 pts
2. R. Madrid 85 pts
3. At. Madrid 83 pts
had i started with the original back to basics maybe i would have had a few points more.
lost in the spanish super cup vs barcelona 8-7 agg (crazy game)
lost in quarter final of spanish cup vs barcelona 1-4 agg
lost in the final of CL 2-0 vs barcelona ..
but all in all amazing achievement barca were just too good winning all 5 trophies but will see how next season will turn out to be!

Early signs with this tactic are extremely promising.

8 winds, 1 lose & 1 draw has sent me from mid-table to 2nd in the league - for a newly promoted side that the media expected to face a relegation battle, I'd say thats quite astounding!

Playing with AFC Telford on my Vita so good for LLM and classic mode (no specific training, team talks etc).

Thing that stands out the most to me is how defensively solid the tactic is, which is something I have not expeirienced with other tactics (online & my own creations). Also like the variation and combinations in attacking channels.

Well done mate and thank you for sharing (and posting screens for Vita users!). Will update with progress.

Early signs with this tactic are extremely promising.

8 winds, 1 lose & 1 draw has sent me from mid-table to 2nd in the league - for a newly promoted side that the media expected to face a relegation battle, I'd say thats quite astounding!

Playing with AFC Telford on my Vita so good for LLM and classic mode (no specific training, team talks etc).

Thing that stands out the most to me is how defensively solid the tactic is, which is something I have not expeirienced with other tactics (online & my own creations). Also like the variation and combinations in attacking channels.

Well done mate and thank you for sharing (and posting screens for Vita users!). Will update with progress.
No a problem mate. I think more people should post the tactic like that. For the Vita user too.

Glad you are enjoying the tactic. I will post the back to basic tactic also on later.

Thanks for the update.

Hi andrichbrand,

Fantastic tactics, have had some great results with it, but I just have a few technical questions around the tactics for you to answer, or anyone else to answer.
  • Do you use both the tactics during a save, if so when do you use each one, what sort of matches? Would you say one is more defensive than the other?
  • Do you ever tinker with the tactics pre-game or in-game, whether that is team instructions or player instructions? If so what changes do you commonly make & in what situation e.g. when playing a team set up in a certain way? The only tinkering i do is change mentality to Attacking when chasing a result, or taking off Offside Trap when playing a top level team...
Just trying to find any way of getting even better results with this! i've done the double, now i need to do the treble!

Hi andrichbrand,

Fantastic tactics, have had some great results with it, but I just have a few technical questions around the tactics for you to answer, or anyone else to answer.
  • Do you use both the tactics during a save, if so when do you use each one, what sort of matches? Would you say one is more defensive than the other?
  • Do you ever tinker with the tactics pre-game or in-game, whether that is team instructions or player instructions? If so what changes do you commonly make & in what situation e.g. when playing a team set up in a certain way? The only tinkering i do is change mentality to Attacking when chasing a result, or taking off Offside Trap when playing a top level team...
Just trying to find any way of getting even better results with this! i've done the double, now i need to do the treble!
Just sticking to one tactic, playing with my beloved Man U at the moment so I play with the Man Utd Way tactic, but with other teams I play with back to basic.

I am a very lazy FM player so I start with the tactic and just do subs, when players is playing bad.

Lost 3 games now and noticed that they were to middle packed formations. After switching AP to DLP and taking away Tighter Marking the performance improves so will try this from the start of the match from now on against these formations. Could be just an issue at LLM.

Have you noticed this? If so what do you change? Maybe the "back to basics" tactic wold work instead?

Advance forward is banging them in, got 6 goals in one game and two successive player of the month awards! Right Winger is getting high match ratings too - beginning to notice how important these two positions are to the formation. Cant wait to fully invest in players that will suit the roles more in the summer (my box-tobox midfielders aren't doing as fantastic as the rest of the team).

Last edited:
Hey Andrichbrand, I remember your great narrow 4-2-3-1! Is there any particular indication on what kind of players does your tactic need? I'm particularly refering to the two strikers: which attributes are the most important for them? Cheers.

Lost 3 games now and noticed that they were to middle packed formations. After switching AP to DLP and taking away Tighter Marking the performance improves so will try this from the start of the match from now on against these formations. Could be just an issue at LLM.

Have you noticed this? If so what do you change? Maybe the "back to basics" tactic wold work instead?

Advance forward is banging them in, got 6 goals in one game and two successive player of the month awards! Right Winger is getting high match ratings too - beginning to notice how important these two positions are to the formation. Cant wait to fully invest in players that will suit the roles more in the summer (my box-tobox midfielders aren't doing as fantastic as the rest of the team).
I am working on both tactics (back to basic and the man utd way), but I am also starting a new business IRL, so time is a bit limited.

What you can do in take the "play offside" off, because you defenders is trying to catch the striker offside and if you are in LLM then your defenders wont be good enough to do it.

On more thing, andrichbrand: which one of the two 442s would you reccomend for my Valencia side? I'm in 2016/17 and have got many quality players, but still not so many as Real Madrid and Barcelona.