360 or PS3???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its not an argument Joe, its just a discussion about what people prefer :) I agree with Redrup. His reasons for preferring the PS3 are similar to mine. Always had Playstation, then i got a 360, it wasn't for me so i went with the PS3.

IMO:
360 for combat games, such as COD etc.
PS3 for football games, fifa, pes etc.

To be honest, people usually prefer their consoles because their friends have the same consoles and you can play together, I suggest getting a console that the majority of your friends have.

Now, for the reasons I prefer the PS3:

Playstation has always been my console of choice, and as a result couldn't imagine owning an XBox.
Free Online is amazing, I absolutely refuse to pay for Online play after purchasing a console and the game.
The controllers on the XBox 360 are not at all to my taste, the sticks are not symmetrical and the control is too fat and stiff, I absolutely hate them.
The PS3 simply looks better, although this isn't the greatest reason for prefering a console, a better looking console is still preferred.
IMO, XBox Live is not better than PSN, they serve an identical purpose and these additional 'chat options' do not appeal to me whatsoever.
Finally, I prefer the PS exclusives to the XBox's thus far, I absolutely HATE Halo and Gears of War (And don't say you haven't played them, some of my friends own XBoxs, I've played them plenty)

Nicely done, settles everything i hope.

I've basically got both consoles, as I've got a PS3, and we have four 360s in my house at university, so over the past 2 years, I've probably played 360 the most.

Here's how I see it:

PS3
+ Playstation Network is free.
+ Disc reader doesn't wreck games if nudged while the disc is in.
+ Blu-Ray player built-in, allowing you to watch top quality films without purchasing an additional player
+ Free BBC iPlayer built into the console
+ 250GB HDD space on new PS3 Slim
+ Better game exclusives
+ Longer lifetime

- More expensive initial purchase price
- Only 80GB consoles are backwards-compatible
- 'Dashboard' is slow to navigate
- Controllers don't suit me

+ Cheaper initial purchase price
+ 'Dashboard' is faster to navigate
+ Controllers fit my hands well
+ Early on, 360 had better game choices
+ Backwards-compatible on all versions of console
+ Installing games to HDD makes them run faster and makes the console run more quietly

- If you nudge or move the console while turned on, the game will be carved up
- Live 'Gold' costs a subscription fee
- 360s longevity seems to be shorter, and RROD is a common occurrence
- Smaller HDDs
- Have to pay a fee for each separate Live Gold account, rather than a fee for each console

Just to clarify, those with a '+' are advantages, those with a '-' are disadvantages.

Now the list above is purely my opinion. I personally prefer the PS3 overall, though there are aspects of both I prefer over the other. As my brother said, get the console that most of your friends own and play together. Both are very good consoles, and you can get most of the available games on either.

Hit the nail on the head quite firmly there mate. What Uni are you at?

ive got both too.

i have very similar positives and negatives to billy redrup apart from the controllers, i have never liked microsofts controllers.

the extra 40quid for a wireless adpater on the 360 was what swung it in the ps3s favour for me.

i also dont see the need to pay a monthly fee for what is essentially the same service as PSN (ie both allow me to paly online, thats all im after), yes xboxlive looks prettier and you get some goodies like party chat etc but i dont really care, id rather be pwning noobs on COD than having a chat.

i also prefer sony exclusives to microsofts, ie gran turismo and killzone to halo and forza

also bluray!! im sure dvds wont be mothballed any time soon, but bluray is currently the only mainstream way to watch HD movies without downloading (which requires sensational broadband, which we dont have in sleepy rural cambridgeshire unfortunately)

Last edited:
i think i win ;D other reasons:
better dashbored
msn
patyis
better games
we chose to pay for online because its so dam good

i had an xbox and a ps3 the ps3 got took bak :D

Hit the nail on the head quite firmly there mate. What Uni are you at?

University of Nottingham

On the topic of the 360 having Sky, that's only if you have an existing Sky package setup. For those 360 owners with Virgin Media, Freeview or terrestrial channels only, they can't use it.

why do we wont a blueray player ...........
you can buy one for 50 pounds

its an all in one unit for a start, less clutter....

but youve already spent that 50quid on your wireless adpater so you can then give microsoft even more money every month to play online.............

i dont have a wirless adaptar mate my internet modem sits next to my xbox and with an ethornet cable (sp) i just plug it in to the bak of it and to the back of my xbox and yess the ethornet cable cumes with the xbox

but this does mean you can only play next to your phone socket in your house.

anyway im over arguing.

i know it kind of defeats the point of my last argument, ie: ''youve gotta pay more money for a wierless adapter''

but you can buy something which converts any plug socket in your house into an ethernet port:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...m=null&tm=null&sku=871097&category_oid=-36490

its faster and a whole lot more reliable than a wirless connection

this is one of the more expensive models out there and you can deffo get it cheaper than the price pc world are selling it at, but its the first link that came up when i googled it.

i ahve some at work for fast data and media transfers. its faster and more reliable than wireless, almost no difference to ethernet but without trailing a wire round your house....

---------- Post added at 02:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 AM ----------

heres a better link: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/peripherals/246468/belkin-powerline-av-starter-kit

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.