442 - The beautiful game - Demolish and Conquer any team, any place.

After looking throught the thread and seening what good resaults people are having im going to give this ago with my stuggling brighton team in league 1 , but i think i will drop the def line to deep and when i play away or better teams at home play with def wingers , do you think this will work ???

Hello Churchy,
use a deeper defense line with defensive winger, they will help cover your flanks and also provide support for the strikers. Keep us posted with your progress. Cheers

Hey Darkatdawn,

like i said i wanted to try this with Brighton in league 1 and im very encourged with the resaults so far , i have changed to this tactic half way through the season and i have now been letting my *** manager do match prep and team talks (i normal do them). I no i dont have the right players for this tactic but it still seems to be working well, all i have done to the tactic is changed my winger to def wingers (support) and drop my def line to deep, these is how its gone so far :-

Brighton 4-3 Colchester
Southampton 1-1 Brighton
Swindon 1-1 Brighton
Brighton 3-2 Sheff Wed
Peterbrough 2-5 Brighton (Just got Fabian Brandy back from injury and he is a rapid striker for league 1)

All in all so far unbeaten, im more then going to stick with it and try and bring in the players a require, when do you think i should stop playing Def Wingers and change them to Wingers or Inside Forwards ??

Really good tactic , thanks

hi dark, but when you go down to ten men what changes you do?

I'll give it a proper test in the welsh leagues and report back after a season :)

The deep defense line means that your team will have more space between the lines and in practical terms, it will not exposed your back line to that often fast counter attacks against any team big or small.
If you have slow defenders then you should lower the defense line to the border line of deep and normal but it´s actually a gambling setting in the tactic.
You see, if you want to crush, put high pressure on the opposition, you have to consider that, in the PM league, there are a lot of fast paced strikers, almost every team has one, with that, the occasional through ball will cut your defense open and score.
All in all, the main concept designed for the tactic is to score goals, more goals than the opposition if they ever manage to score one.

You do know that the AI adapts to all tactics used but I can tell you that I have been using it with Benfica for 6 seasons and yes, it becomes a bit more frustrating to break the defense, they will cover the holes of the previous rapes but you will still win by many or at the very least tie against top teams in your championship.

For the strikers combo, Rooney is top with Diego Costa, a brasilian striker that I mentioned in previous post. They would be a killer combination imo.

---------- Post added at 01:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 PM ----------

My humble advise is to set it deep, one tick before the normal defense line. Works fine line that.

that defensive line is for whole season or against big team only ?

May give it a go if my tactic for Wigan goes **** up in the second half of my season, seems very good!

Just started using this tactic and its great first game came from 2-0 down to beat real madrid 3-2 and a few 3 or 4 nil wins. Don't have any wingers to use as inside forwards as my previous tactic didnt use any, currently using hulk and tevez who in all fairness are doing good but feel i need proper ones. Any suggestions?

I also feel i need a poacher alongside aguero, i know i have hulk if i sign an inside forward but want one more top class poacher who will get me 25+ goals a season.

Last edited:
Hey Darkatdawn,

Ive just started using your tactic with my team which is Blackburn in a new game, As you know they have quite a bad squad apart from a few gems.

Ive managed to free up 29 million by offloading theses players:

Brett Emerton
Michel Salgado
Jermaine Jones
Vincenzo Grella
Morten Gamst Pedersen
Keith Andrews
Roque Santa Cruz
Nikola Kalinic
Jason Roberts
Mame Biram Diouf
Paul Robinson

These next players are who i bought with the money:

Silviu Lung Jr
Peter Masilela
Luis Felipe
Darvin Chavez
Martin Zeman
Mehdi Carcela
Jan Chramosta
Sercan Yildirim
Jelle Vossen
Kevin Gameiro

Now would you say this is a good move or will i suffer getting the team to gel?

Dark,

What can i say, started using this in Dec, half way through my season and going from just below mid table to champions, brilliant thats all i can say, even started playing with winger towards the end not def wingers, thank you !!!

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting :- great free signing

Now for the championship !!!

+100 goals, lol
Thats attacking football for you.Congrats on the results, really impressive.

---------- Post added at 08:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

that defensive line is for whole season or against big team only ?

You can change the defense line to deep when you want, it does not mess up with the flow of play and neither will it force you to use team blend when you change it.

The only thing you need to be aware when going deep with the defense line is the bombarding with long shots by the other team,however, it does not mean that your team will struggle, it is only a detail that you should be aware if your keeper sucks.
If your keeper sucks, then you should lower the defense line, if he is a top keeper, leave the defense line as it is but be aware that you need fast paced defenders to keep up with counter attacks or your team will fail in many games.
Notice that the tactic is based on attacking football, where all units play close to each others, the defense line hugs the midfield for pressure and support but they need to be fast enough to intercept counter attacks, slow defenders will hurt your results very much.

---------- Post added at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

Just started using this tactic and its great first game came from 2-0 down to beat real madrid 3-2 and a few 3 or 4 nil wins. Don't have any wingers to use as inside forwards as my previous tactic didnt use any, currently using hulk and tevez who in all fairness are doing good but feel i need proper ones. Any suggestions?

I also feel i need a poacher alongside aguero, i know i have hulk if i sign an inside forward but want one more top class poacher who will get me 25+ goals a season.

Inside rorwards- I would go for Toni Kroos from Bayern Munich or Hazard for the left wing, for the right side Hulk or Alexis Sanchez from Udinese.
You attacking duo is Tevez with Aguero,both ubber fast strikers that score tons of goals. The only thing that I notice with Aguero is that he,for a reason that I dont know, he takes his time to adapt to the poacher postion but when he does.... or you can get Diego Forlan, he scored over 60 goals with Atl Madrid.

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

Hey Darkatdawn,

Ive just started using your tactic with my team which is Blackburn in a new game, As you know they have quite a bad squad apart from a few gems.

Ive managed to free up 29 million by offloading theses players:

Brett Emerton
Michel Salgado
Jermaine Jones
Vincenzo Grella
Morten Gamst Pedersen
Keith Andrews
Roque Santa Cruz
Nikola Kalinic
Jason Roberts
Mame Biram Diouf
Paul Robinson

These next players are who i bought with the money:

Silviu Lung Jr
Peter Masilela
Luis Felipe
Darvin Chavez
Martin Zeman
Mehdi Carcela
Jan Chramosta
Sercan Yildirim
Jelle Vossen
Kevin Gameiro

Now would you say this is a good move or will i suffer getting the team to gel?

Too many players in will hinder the game flow a bit but nothing huge.
Now you have to explain to me how the **** could you sell Kalinic lol, he plays so well on this tactic man. How could you?

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 PM ----------

hi dark, but when you go down to ten men what changes you do?

Keep the defense lines up, they will still play without wingers or a striker but it is a suicide if you let go of one of your defenders.
Sometimes I was forced to use just one central defender, he had 15 pace so he was able to compensate the absence of his team mate. It makes the game more hum..unpredictable and fun but it is more a gamble tha you will often loose.

Lol i usually have probs gettin him to score or he gets injured for months at a time, plus i need to sell him to generate most of the money, i get 14 million for him alone off arsenal, also not sure if you have tried him but give jelle vossen a go as the right hand striker, even tho he's slow he works pretty well, love this tactic though. The only drawbacks are the red cards and the long shots from the wingers

Which patch have people tested this on? 11.3?

yeh i want to ask the same question too because in your OP you recommended Diego Costa (ST) from Valladolid whereas in 11.3, he is in Atletico Madrid

Hey Dark :)

I have to say this tactic is genius! Obviously its not a guaranteed win tactic but my god does it work!
Out of my first 5 games I have won 3, drew 1 and lost 1. Including in those wins were man city at home where i won comfortably 3-0 :) Its weird though because city must have gone insane, they were playing Dzeko in centre midfield :/

I'm using this tactic for West Brom, i've lowered the defensive line since West Brom have pretty slow defenders. Its my second season and i've just began using this tactic, I lost the first 3 games by last gasp winners from the opposition which was extremely annoying. So when i implemented this tactic I didn't expect to win for a while as I guess the team needed to blend since I brought some players, but they amazingly won their first 2 games using it against Blackburn (3-0) & Newcastle (4-2) and then drew 2 Chelsea 0-0. So I was very happy as that got me out the relegation zone!

After selling some of the dead weight we had I had around 8 mil to spend with 725k on wages. So i brought in: Sebastien Bassong - 2.9mil (Transfer-listed, doing a solid job at the back, one of my most consistent performers!) David Bentley - 1.9mil (Transfer-listed at Tottenham, and a good winger, has chipped in with assists and goals) Tom Cairney (Brought from Hull, 2.5mil straight up, with 1.2mil over 48 months, Good solid performer who gets the assists to my front 2) Michael Owen (Free after Man Utd released him, good poacher IRL and on the game, will provide cover for my front 2) Vanden Borre - 375k! from Genk (So cheap! I play him at right back, he does get sent off and concedes free kicks but a good solid performer)

I have to say Odemwingie & Garra Dembele up front do work wonders, Dembele seems to score most of the goals when he is STCR. Looking to hopefully get some good income when the stadium expansion has been completed and then I will fork out for a cheaper, younger poacher who will get goals as odemwingie will be 31 next season and his stats won't increase much and will more than likely decline in some areas.

So thanks Darkatdawn! You've helped me out alot!

@connors, @D - Pak, I have tested this on the 11.3 patch, and it still works wonders, worth a try! Just be patient with it :)

yeh i want to ask the same question too because in your OP you recommended Diego Costa (ST) from Valladolid whereas in 11.3, he is in Atletico Madrid

My bad, I forgot to mention that, so sorry.
The tactic was created for patch 11.3, it does not work so well with previous patches.

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

Hey Dark :)

I have to say this tactic is genius! Obviously its not a guaranteed win tactic but my god does it work!
Out of my first 5 games I have won 3, drew 1 and lost 1. Including in those wins were man city at home where i won comfortably 3-0 :) Its weird though because city must have gone insane, they were playing Dzeko in centre midfield :/

I'm using this tactic for West Brom, i've lowered the defensive line since West Brom have pretty slow defenders. Its my second season and i've just began using this tactic, I lost the first 3 games by last gasp winners from the opposition which was extremely annoying. So when i implemented this tactic I didn't expect to win for a while as I guess the team needed to blend since I brought some players, but they amazingly won their first 2 games using it against Blackburn (3-0) & Newcastle (4-2) and then drew 2 Chelsea 0-0. So I was very happy as that got me out the relegation zone!

After selling some of the dead weight we had I had around 8 mil to spend with 725k on wages. So i brought in: Sebastien Bassong - 2.9mil (Transfer-listed, doing a solid job at the back, one of my most consistent performers!) David Bentley - 1.9mil (Transfer-listed at Tottenham, and a good winger, has chipped in with assists and goals) Tom Cairney (Brought from Hull, 2.5mil straight up, with 1.2mil over 48 months, Good solid performer who gets the assists to my front 2) Michael Owen (Free after Man Utd released him, good poacher IRL and on the game, will provide cover for my front 2) Vanden Borre - 375k! from Genk (So cheap! I play him at right back, he does get sent off and concedes free kicks but a good solid performer)

I have to say Odemwingie & Garra Dembele up front do work wonders, Dembele seems to score most of the goals when he is STCR. Looking to hopefully get some good income when the stadium expansion has been completed and then I will fork out for a cheaper, younger poacher who will get goals as odemwingie will be 31 next season and his stats won't increase much and will more than likely decline in some areas.

So thanks Darkatdawn! You've helped me out alot!

@connors, @D - Pak, I have tested this on the 11.3 patch, and it still works wonders, worth a try! Just be patient with it :)

Hello Sean,

Im happy that the tactic is making you win and :D
Obviously I wont ever create a tactic that will give a win win all the time, it becomes boring even that if gives you draws.

It will always offer beautiful attacking football in honor of all those great football legends that ever walked on those stages.
Of course I could create a tactic that would offer predictable and boring football that will give you that win but i leave that for the pros.
I rather give the little teams the chance of playing over the top football and produce some devastating results against the big teams.
When I was testing, always used low ranked teams, sure it sometimes was a pain in the *** due to bad quality keepers but a quick loan solves that issue because this is attacking football and a bad keeper will leak goals and more goals.
Really, it doesnt matter who you put at front or in the wings if the keeper sucks. The blackpool keepers all suck no matter who you choose, the rest of the team is fine, some nice talents and consistant performers there.

Wasnt there a thread here at the forum with a challenge to use only free players and try to get Blackpool not to be relegated? Did they actually get relegated in real life?

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

One thing, your team will get red cards, I could not avoid it from happening because when tuning this beast, using attacking fluid football with normal tackling makes your players to mostly watch the other team play and slowly react to events in game. However, it hard tackling, the players are faster and break up play more often to create fast counter attacks for you.

You will see occasionly, a player making a vicious tackle with or without the ball, I dont know if it is a bug or not but it really seems a bit Eric Cantona style, the balls passes by him but the player stays behind ROFL.

Really tried to set it up in a different way but it doesnt produce the same effect, so please, fine your players every time they get a red card but not with a two yeallow cards. They will think twice before Kung Fuing another player.

I think this is the best tactic i've tried in FM 11! Works with every team, and i get great results every match.
Ty!

is there any chance you could say what attributes are neccesties for each position?

Great tactic, using it with my Chelsea team for the 9th season, av sold loads of dead weight this season and replaced most of my team with 18 to 23 year olds, only have Cech, Essien, torres and david luis. Not expecting to win the league but aiming for future stability, and having a team of homegrown/nationally trained players. havent spent over 8million since i took ova, aims to reduce the wage bill and run with a profit rather than a loss.

In my 9th season, took over the team in the 7th season. Will try to upload some screen shots when it get home.