6-2-2-0 Counter: A Hypothesis (Work in Progress)

3-7-0

Just started a Southampton save inspired by this thread.

I'm commenting on it in the 2013 stories section under a post titled Inspired by Class - A Southampton Story .

My goal through the course of the season is to develop and perfect a 3-7-0 counter tactic that uses 3 DMs.

The formation and team sliders are in the post, but I'll post them here too.

35lxbf4.png

1gszgg.png

The tactic is obviously a work in progress, and will evolve as the season goes on. So far though, into the preseason, the tactic is really fun to watch.

The DMCR and DMCL push up and get in to the box quite regularly on the counter... they play as box-to-box MC's who can really break up play but I've also seen them both make runs past the AMCs and in to scoring position.

the DMC in the Anchor position really is the anchor, and stays back during attacking play, in front of the D-line. He's always there to present an option to pass it back and recycle possession. I think because of this, and the ability to break up the other teams attacking play, we've experienced really high possession in our first couple of games. We'll see if this translates against harder teams.

My wingers seem to have an equal tendency to fire the ball forward directly as they do to bring it up and cross it by-line, which is pretty fun to watch too... every time i think they're going to do one thing, they do the opposite.

One tweak I may have to make is to the AMC's, who seem to come back in to the midfield to collect the ball and create plays more than they make runs to open up the defense. I think having both of them do that is too negative offensively... although, I'm not experiencing a lack of goals (albeit against weaker teams).

The real tweaks and tests will be when the regular league starts up in a couple of weeks (game time), but these are just a few things I'm keeping an eye on.

Looking forward to posting more info as the season continues!

Hey Zenmuse,

Glad to see the discussion here inspired you to create your own tactic and I will defintely follow your blog. I am looking forward to see Southamption reaching new heights!

That being said, your tactic is exactly the same formation as StueyRob is testing(see testing area in the main write-up). Perhaps you can help each other out :)

Hey Zenmuse,

Glad to see the discussion here inspired you to create your own tactic and I will defintely follow your blog. I am looking forward to see Southamption reaching new heights!

That being said, your tactic is exactly the same formation as StueyRob is testing(see testing area in the main write-up). Perhaps you can help each other out :)

Lol pretty much same but changed the defenders roles :p!

Currently put mine on hold at the min, but might just holiday a season with Newcastle to see how it goes

Sorta in the middle of a new tactic with anji lol

ill play another 5-10 games with it n see how it goes :)

current progress

View attachment 320964View attachment 320965

shall i release it here or make my own thread mate?

not that bothered about my own thread tbh lol

I can release it in the testing section if you want. Just might be confusing for other people when the questions come in. You might be better off with your own thread. I'l leave it up to you :)

I can release it in the testing section if you want. Just might be confusing for other people when the questions come in. You might be better off with your own thread. I'l leave it up to you :)

hmmm could do, jus popped out for abit there n put it on holiday, now into feb n 2nd in league lol :)

Waiting towards others releases :) Currently playing with Swansea with default 6-2-2-0 from OP. :)

I've finished the season now,

2nd in league and won fa cup :)

Created the thread for it aswell

Lol pretty much same but changed the defenders roles :p!

Currently put mine on hold at the min, but might just holiday a season with Newcastle to see how it goes

Sorta in the middle of a new tactic with anji lol

Same formation, but the role designators in my formation are just for show/name really. I've manually tweaked all the sliders following results I've seen from watching the full games. I've got an idea on how I want each position to play, it's just a matter of tweaking it game after game once I see the players behavior to get it to where I want it.

I'm interested to see how your tactic differs from mine, and how the AI interprets the formation. It'll be good to see how much of the behavior is from the ME trying to adapt the AI to an unusual formation, and how much is actually from the slider adjustments i've made.

For example, I'm curious to see how your DM's work. Currently, my DMCL and DMCR like to surge forward quite often(although PPM also have something to do with this). I think part of it is the space in front of them created by an absence of true CM's.

I'm also curious how your AMCs play. Mine like to drop back in to midfield or even as far back as the DMCs some times when we're attacking to collect the ball and link up play.

I'm considering putting 1 player in a true CM position to keep a sort of "wall" between the DMCs and the AMCs and prevent them from stealing each others positions on the pitch...

So i'll do some tests with your formation, and if certain slider positions in your formation change the behavior to my liking, I might steal a setting or two =)

Otherwise, you might see my 3 DMC line change to 2 DMC with a CM sitting in front of them.

Also this is my last tactic update for a while.
going offshore for 2 weeks so can't play that much.

Will continue reading this thread.
and try help people.
but it can be that u will not have the answer right away because i'm not here every day.

Updated your tactic in the test section with some screenshots Dinjesk