6-2-2-0 Counter: A Hypothesis (Work in Progress)

Congrats on unusual formation and its working, could be come every 1 hold out tactic as it scores aswell. also what match prep did you use

Thanks for the kind words :)

It scores but there are quite a bit of 0-0 draws as well. I use as match preparation for the pre-season: Team cohesion very high and there I just switch between attacking movement and Def. Positioning between each game. It's just the pre-season so I don't think it matters hugely then.

For the actual season I now use: Balanced and Defending Free Kicks. With all the people in front of the goal I rarely get normal goals against me and during my own initial testing it seemed all I got against were goals from dead ball moments which is why I am going with Defending Set Pieces now for the matches and either def.positioning or attacking movement based on the opponent for that week(both at average intensity)

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words :)

It scores but there are quite a bit of 0-0 draws as well. I use as match preparation for the pre-season: Team cohesion very high and there I just switch between attacking movement and Def. Positioning between each game. It's just the pre-season so I don't think it matters hugely then.

For the actual season I now use: Balanced and Defending Free Kicks. With all the people in front of the goal I rarely get normal goals against me and during my own initial testing it seemed all I got against were goals from dead ball moments which is why I am going with Defending Set Pieces now.

No problem.

Ok thanks. I kept reading and reading it over & over thought to see if i missed it, I dont want to ask n sound like i ant read it, like loads do.

Don't worry about it :) I am happy to answer any questions if I have time. This was a good point and I will update the main post with the match preparation.

Quick Update on my own Bristol City testing:

I have now dropped to second place in the league after 16 matches on the back of a rare loss (shows I am not cheating :p ) and some 0-0 draws against higher rated teams.

Still, only 2 goals against in 16 matches for a team that was supposed to come in at 20th is not bad so the tactic is doing what it is supposed to. Conceding one goal every 739 minutes(little over 8 games) so far.

View attachment 316080

Last edited:
2bzBl
will give it a bit longer

hi FaithfulDjimi,

Well. that is why we test but it doesn't look like I would have expected. Can you post a screenshot of your tactics overview or is there an obvious reason you can see why you concede so many? It could be fatigue for example. This tactic makes players very tired very fast so you will have to rest them a lot.

Let me know and we can see if we can sort it out.

Just 1 more thing you don't use Oi's?

Just what the Assistant Manager tells me to. and then I personally like to set the CM's of the opposition to:

- Closing down: always , Tackling: Hard (if your tacklers permit this. Can lead to many cards) and weaker foot always.

Weird this. It looks like you have set-it up correctly (maybe switch the McArthur and McCarthy around since Mcarthur seems slow to lead the counter with a pace of 10) but that doesn't explain why you concede so much. I'll start a game with Wigan when I come back from work tomorrow to see if I can find something out.

Did you train the players individually for any new roles they may play under the new tactic?

Last edited:
View attachment 316104 View attachment 316105

Tactic seems to be a little erratic, may just be down to me managing Paris FC (part-timers) so fitness levels of team are really shocking.
I'll see out the season with your tactic and give you better feedback once I'm done.

Just what the Assistant Manager tells me to. and then I personally like to set the CM's of the opposition to:

- Closing down: always , Tackling: Hard (if your tacklers permit this. Can lead to many cards) and weaker foot always.
Ok thanks

Last edited:
View attachment 316104 View attachment 316105

Tactic seems to be a little erratic, may just be down to me managing Paris FC (part-timers) so fitness levels of team are really shocking.
I'll see out the season with your tactic and give you better feedback once I'm done.

Could be at that level, yes. I have never coached part timers before so there may be an issue there with stamina. I am starting to realize that may defensive coaching is quite okay with both teams I am testing with (4.5 stars at Barca and 4 stars at Bristol city). Perhaps that is an issue. I will investigate further.

I do however appreciate all the feedback I am getting! Thank you.

will give this a go with my guernsey save next season

will give this a go with my guernsey save next season

Please do. I will update the main post tomorrow with some match preparations and staff selections. I am starting to believe that having a good defensive coach is vital.

Time to call it a day for me today since I need to get up early for work tomorrow. I'll answer any questions there may be after work. Thanks for trying it so far. What I see in my own games is still that it should work so please keep on testing.

All the help and feedback is really appreciated!

Hello bro its very interesting tactic, tell me if I can put striker as central mid?