6-2-2-0 Counter: A Hypothesis (Work in Progress)

Hope you can do a player filters tonght

Oh yes, I'll try it right away. I might ask for some help on your twitter :)

Never mind. I just realized what you meant. I'll get on it :)

Last edited:
I just realised I[d not been training my players on their roles they play... how big of an impact do you think this would have?

I just realised I[d not been training my players on their roles they play... how big of an impact do you think this would have?

From what I have seen sofar, on the differences between teams who have been tested, I think this has quite an impact to be honest.

did u say try nt to make any sighnings or is that just cos u were bristol city n they no money

did u say try nt to make any sighnings or is that just cos u were bristol city n they no money

I didn't buy players for Bristol since I couldn't find any at the available budget but later realised that it was better for testing anyway so in the end a little bit of both I guess. :)

I'm gutted here. Given this more than a fair go - I'm coming to the end of the season as Newcastle and I'm o a dismal run, sitting in 10th. I have done everything (bar the training) that you've recommended but it's just not working at all for me.

I really really like the idea, I think it can work but it just doesn't. What's worse is seeing the success you've had!

I'll keep an eye on this thread though as I still do believe in the tactic and the ideas you have.

Just thought I'd add that you do have to make this all or nothing to give it a go - selling your strikers and getting other players in to suit the tactic means that you can't really switch to another one if it's not working. So I truly have given this a good go!

Last edited:
I'm gutted here. Given this more than a fair go - I'm coming to the end of the season as Newcastle and I'm o a dismal run, sitting in 10th. I have done everything (bar the training) that you've recommended but it's just not working at all for me.

I really really like the idea, I think it can work but it just doesn't. What's worse is seeing the success you've had!

I'll keep an eye on this thread though as I still do believe in the tactic and the ideas you have.

Just thought I'd add that you do have to make this all or nothing to give it a go - selling your strikers and getting other players in to suit the tactic means that you can't really switch to another one if it's not working. So I truly have given this a good go!

Hey Mike,

Too bad it didn't work out for you. I'll keep trying to see where the differences come from. I am testing with Newcastle as well at the moment and having some issues as well. I really like Ben Arfa is the main threat though :)

I really appreciate all the testing you did and that you still have faith in my ideas. In the end, the fun is in trying and testing new stuff seeing if we can make it work. I have to disagree that it doesn't work (Since I came up with this :p ) so I'll keep going at it. Just keep an eye on the thread if you want and hopefully we'll start finding out why its so erratic.

I have the feeling I might not be explaining well. It took me a good 2-3 weeks to put the tactic together so what I can do is send you a mediafire link to a savegame or something.

For now though, your help was and still is really appreciated. Thanks again! :)

Last edited:
I'd imagine that for this to work you need the right players.

I believe so. I will release a player filter tonight and also start testing with a 'classic' version. Perhaps when the roles are no longer necessary, it will become more viable for other teams.

Do you think it might be an idea for you to see my saved game to see if I've missed anything?

How are you getting on with Newcastle?

Do you think it might be an idea for you to see my saved game to see if I've missed anything?

How are you getting on with Newcastle?

Hi Mike, I could take a quick look, just send me a link of where to download it and I'll try it tonight. I don't think you missed anything though. I am having some issues with Newcastle as well. Mostly, as stated before, the goals against from setpieces.

I am curious to see how a classic version of this will work with some more focus on the Defending Set Pieces in the Pre-season

It seems to me by watching how the players move on the field that the DM's play more like Box-to-box midfielders...they need to be strong both on defense and attack. Very important part of this tactic.

It seems to me by watching how the players move on the field that the DM's play more like Box-to-box midfielders...they need to be strong both on defense and attack. Very important part of this tactic.

I think you're right. I will do a more in depth look at what players are needed and release a player filter (hopefully) tonight.

Oh , and I want to try with a classic version. See if the lack of those roles helps :)

I have created player filters that you can simply import into your save. Let me know if this is helpful. You can find them in the main post under how to play the tactic. As always, Updates are highlighted in Blue.

Sorry mate but I've now had to abandon the tactic half way through the season to try and save it. Worked really well in Europe actually qualifying from the group stage which is a great achievement for Dundee Utd. Don't think it was helped by my extremely small squad meaning I wasn't able to rotate. Thanks anyway though :)

No worries. Glad it managed to get you through in Europe but yes, you need to save your season. I still have some tricks up my sleeve so I haven't given up yet. Thanks for giving it a go! :)

Gonna give this a go with Tottenham, I'll let you know the results after a full season

Gonna give this a go with Tottenham, I'll let you know the results after a full season

Great! The advanced Playmakers for Tottenham are a bit low on their finishing but Bale as WBA, Sandro as DM should work nicely. Thank you for testing and good luck! Looking forward to the feedback :)