Quality story, lots of twist and turns, Scott sounds like another Joey Barton or Nile Ranger

Surely theres one more hurrah for Rory!

"Hi, Boss.. " I said as I crutched and hobbled through the Big Sams office, he looked up from his paper shocked to see me but continued to watch me struggle into a chair without any help. It was just over a month since I had my diagnosis and had been completely disconnected from the club and outside world.

"What's up?" He said, finally removing his glasses and putting down the paper.

"You obviously know that I have been told I should never return to a Professional level on the park?" The words came out, almost in a sarcastic way which was not what I meant, I was just ****** off. Genuinely angry at the fact I had no real option but to call it a day and Sam f'n Allardyce couldn't care less.

"Yes, son. I get that. Tragic." He said, sitting up finally realising what was happening. I had never felt so disengaged from a boss, but maybe it was his way.

"I know I have a 18 months still on this deal. But I probably won't be able to play for you again." I was a little choked up, the gaffer got up and walked over towards me and gave me a pat on the back as if I was a lost child.

"I know, I know. You like your coaching, don't ya? Why don't you keep in the game. Do some community stuff with the club?"

"What? I don't like to sound like I have an ego but I can easily coach at a higher level?"

"Really? Okay, Tony Carr probably wants another pair of hands working with the Under 18 squad and the youth academy. Take it, if I was you. Good man, you'll learn a lot." I resigned in defeat, maybe that was the best it would get. I got up and went to the Club Secretary to schedule a meeting with himself and then the club owners to talk about 'compensation' for my playing career coming to a close before I changed my contract at the club.

"Hi Rory, I'm Alex from the BBC. I know it's a tough time, just heard that you officially can't play again. We are always looking at taking on new people and Gary Linekar would be happy to have you on tomorrow nights Match of the Day? It is an early start because we all come into watch the games. Let me know ASAP as Mark Lawrenson has pulled out ill."

Punditry.

Lovely.

I'd have to cover the Aston Villa game which was a dreadfully boring affair, and Gary enjoyed coming to me a lot to try get some exclusive news out of me.

"What's next then, have you thought about it?"

"Of course I have, been sat in an empty flat for a month knowing I won't kick a football again. There's no point hiding it, I was almost depressed in a sense. Y'know? Alcohol, drugs. They don't fix things but I almost went that way but know I am stronger. Obviously roles like this is perfectly alright but I want to be right in the game. It looks as though I'll be part of the Academy Staff at West Ham, which is unbelievable. Some true greats have come through there and I look forward to seeing more, kids with hunger and drive to succeed. I miss it."

RORY SCOTT - CAREER

Year: 2012

Youth Years

Tottenham
Arsenal
Tottenham
Aberdeen

Professional

Aberdeen 2000/01

Rory Scott would break into the squad as a teenager playing at right back, something he had only a little bit of experience of a few years back as a schoolboy.

He'd play 19, fail to score any from right back but set up 3.

Aberdeen 2001/02

The youngster would continue to look good in the side, he'd also feature in youth set-ups for the National Side.

He'd feature in 24, score 3 and set up 9. Moving into more advanced roles, rather than just right back under Ebbe Skohvdahl.

Aberdeen 2002/03

An unbelievable start to the season had Rory Scott linked with moves to Liverpool, Rangers, Celtic and all the rest - especially with his deal at Aberdeen coming to a close. However, Skohvdahl's sacking in December and a fall out with chairman Milne had Scott out of reckoning.

He'd end up only playing 24, the majority before the turn of the year, scoring 6 and setting up 7.

Rangers 2003/04

A move to Rangers on a free caused a few Aberdeen fans to be disappointed and angry. However, Scott would develop well before a training injury had him miss the end of the year.

Playing 19, scoring 3 and setting up only 4.

Rangers 2004/05

This was a completely different year for the club and the youngster Rory Scott. McLeish would rediscover the player, having him play behind the strikers Nacho Novo and Dado Prso. In a season where the club would win the League and League Cup, Scott would also feature in his first competitive International fixture, in his 3rd cap.

Overall, he'd play 32 and score a huge 11. Setting up another 10.

Rangers 2005/06

In a poor year for the club, which would see McLeish offer Rory Scott vice-captaincy for spurring his teammates onto a league win the prior, Scott would also have his season cut due to injury. He'd also feature in the news for a bust-up with a Celtic youth player and his engagement to his now-Wife Emma Scott.

He'd score 12 in 29 and be the assist to another 5.

Celtic 2006/07

The now-25 year old would find himself in a straight switch across the Old Firm, being the first since before World War 2 to do such a thing. Joining the likes of Kenny Miller and Mo Johnstone to play for both. While he'd receive a mixed reaction, Celtic fans were most unhappy as the player has a history not only at Rangers but had a famous bust-up with Neil Lennon. Nevermind the Celtic Youth player the year before. However, a Champions League run was met with a league and Scottish Cup triumph. And marriage!

He would play 33, score 4 and set up 8.

Celtic 2007/08

It would be a year to forget for Rory Scott, he'd firstly take the armband from Neil Lennon who was off to England and with that came a lot of bad news. Fans from both sides of Glasgow had issues with him, particularly those of England and from there an opening day leg break had him out for ten months and subsequently his time at the club was over.

He would play 1.

Hull City 2008/09

Despite his lack of football the past season, Hull City would give almost £1,000,000 in an attempt to revive the career of the Scotsman. However, the club deemed him not fit enough come the start of the season and only come October would he begin to feature.

He would play 5 before being loaned off.

Birmingham City 2008/09

Alex McLeish would bring the Scotsman to his Championship club to reunite as they chased promotion. Only weeks into the deal and it looked like Rory Scott was set to move on a permanent basis in a move that would see Hull lose out on almost £600,000. Birmingham City would go up and an ecstatic McLeish would be delighted with Scott who'd feature with Scotland again finally after more than a year out.

He would play 11, score 3 and set up 5.

Birmingham City 2009/10

Rory Scott was back in the Premier League, he had played here briefly before but never a full game. He was here with a new squad, but was with Alex McLeish and Barry Ferguson again as Vice-Captain. He had many to prove wrong and did just that. He'd go on to win Birmingham's Player of the Year and a Player of the Month award as he turned down moves to Liverpool and Tottenham.

He would play 26, score 9 and set up 7 from the middle of the park.

Birmingham City 2010/11

It would be a bitter year for Rory Scott. He'd lose his wife and then lose it in the tunnel after comments apparently made by Gary Taylor-Fletcher, Scott would leave his mark on the man and be giving a 3 match ban for violent conduct and another ten on top of that. When he played, he was untouchable but red cards and suspensions came from all over. A League Cup win over Arsenal would be followed by Relegation and a bust-up with new boss Chris Hughton. Contract termination.

He would feature in only 10 games, score 7 and set up 3 from the middle of the park.

West Ham United 2011/12

Big Sam would come calling with his Championship side after Rory Scott would battle it out in court over compensation for his contract at Birmingham City being terminated. He'd only join in September and his career would be cut short tragically by an unfortunate clash of knees with Southampton's Hooiveld.

He would feature in 7, score 3 and set up another 1.
13 caps, 1 goals

Trophy Cabinet

SPL, 2x
Scottish Cup, 1x
Scottish League Cup, 1x
English League Cup, 1x
Championship Promotion, 1x

"I've had fun playing the game, I always wonder where I'd be if I wasn't injured. I know I was good, just look at the numbers from the middle of the park. I feel like I coped with the step up in England, beginning to accept I won't play again - it is ****** hard though. Never going to have that 'banter', that elation of scoring a goal, winning a cup. New chapter starts Monday, look forward to working with the West Ham United academy. This could be something."

OVERALL CAREER STATS

GAMES PLAYED

GOALS SCORED

GOALS ASSISTED

Great career mate! Really enjoyed reading it so far!

Scott will pass on his fantastic legacy of broken bones to the young lads!

Gutted Rory's playing days seem to be behind him but interested to see what happens next!

"Alright, lads? Your contracts are up in 2 months now. You'll quickly look around and see your the group who won't be getting it renewed as it stands. Some of you just don't have what it takes while I see a few of you having Professional careers. You have 2 months to prove to us that you can have such a career with us. Go on to be a Frank Lampard, a Bobby Moore or even just a Glen Johnson. Y'know?" I said to the surrounding 15 and 16 year olds. It was so hard to tell a lad they may not make it. I decided with Tony Carr that we get all the poorer ones together and tell them straight as a group. It creates competition for spaces and it can make or break any lads character and hunger for the game.

"Like Todd, you are ******* 16 and have a football career at your doorstep and instead of opening that door you slip out the back and drink at a park? Sort it right now, alright? If it was up to me you'd be gone."

"But it's not up to you, is it? Your just a coach here because the real gaffer felt real sorry for you since your legs no work!" Todd shot back. I would grab him by the scruf of his neck and toss him outside the changing room, quickly following him.

"Straight into Tony's office. Right now." I marched behind him as he began to go red in the cheeks.

"Alright, Tony. Sorry for disturbing you, can you sort out Todd's termination of apprenticeship? Cheers." I said as I turned and left the office. Was I building another ego as an academy coach at West Ham United? Apparently. But the kid had it coming. Absolute waste of a space in that changing room.

I'd return there to a few bewildered faces.

"Better place already. You guys can make it, and if you don't do it here you can easily make it elsewhere. I had a tough career and I came from the same place as you. A London academy, I was told I wouldn't make it at 16. And I made myself a fair bit of money in the game. It isn't hard, lads. Head down and play like you know you can."

5b8d1a759bbd254abc862f5375a139cb.png

"Hi, Rory. Thanks for coming in, take a seat." Big Sam said, welcoming me into his poorly lit office at the training ground. The youth squad had their own facilities, but I was to take a few of the Academy Prospects to train with the first team and this meant a meeting with Big Sam - however, I had already handed over reports so I wasn't sure what was next.

"Couple of things, here mate. Firstly, the board haven't taking too kindly to your treatment of that young lad, but I see it as perfect sense. Discipline, Respect, we are losing it in this game." He started off, as I shuffled in the seat opposite him and his desk.

"Secondly, you are doing some good work and are a standout coach according to Tony Carr with the academy boys."

"Thanks."

"Like, you are great on the training ground and usually a good man manager. We are aiming for the Premier League and we were practically there. Fingers crossed we dodge the play offs; but I was thinking, come June 1st you come work as a first team coach. We can get you working on your UEFA B License over the Summer and hopefully have you passed come December."

I was flattered. My work was being noticed. I had done some different things with the academy, creating a new-found drive and hunger to play football. I had talks with the England FA about more developmental programmes at Grassroots level with St Georges Park. I didn't follow anything through though, because I am a Scotsman and felt wrong working with the English!

Either way, I know I am making progress as a football coach and working with the first team of West Ham United was something new and the right path for my career to take.

It may be the end of Rory's playing career but it seems his Coaching career is really starting to take off! Could end up beign a 1st team coach at West Ham less than 12 months on the scene!

Comeee on Rorry!!!

"Welcome, then Rory. Here's the deal we are looking to offer you as a member of the first team coaching staff. It'll be a 2 year deal, £7,500 per week. You'll primarily be working with the technical side of the coaching and some fitness stuff with the fitness co-coordinators."

"Alright yeah, sounds good. Be completely different to the academy work, but I am ready."

West Ham United.

Premier League.

Football.

361fdde9c391b78124e6777361b6dbd6.png

"Sam, on a serious note, we could do more than just survive? Have a bit of belief, mate." I responded, as Sam gave his briefing to the coaching staff as we began to plan for the season ahead with pre-season drawing to a close.

"Do you really think so?" He looked back at me sarcastically.

"You can't seriously think that we can't make it up that table? We have real quality in this side." I replied, as I looked around for support. Ian Hendon nodded, as did a few others.

"Make them believe then, make them want more!" Big Sam spoke assertively, pointing at the poster of the team squad.

"Easy." I responded, and I thought he merely meant to be a positive coach at training, to get the best out of each player but instead, as we prepared for day one against Aston Villa. Big Sam reiterated how we were to play and then told me to finish up.

I was totally unprepared.

"Motivate." He said, as he turned to leave the room for a pre-match interview.

"Boys, you know where we are. We're right back with the big time today, we are at Upton Park and we have a full crowd wanting to see a Premier League side today. Take a moment, and just think about where you are. Take a breath and just believe."

33114046b602fb383bf87627dfa8e039.png

Christmas would arrive as we bounced around the bottom half of the table but never felt threatened by relegation and a few wins on the trot had us looking nice again. I'd become an important part of the backroom staff, instead of merely being with the "technical and fitness" side of the game, I would spend a lot of time with the gaffer, and club assistant manager Neil Macdonald in the preparation for games.

I'd grab my UEFA A License and begin work on a grueling course for my Pro License. I never felt it was necessary but Big Sam kept saying I needed it for the Premier League, and I knew that managers required one in the Premier League but I don't know if I ever want to deal with the limelight.

I'd also have an unwritten deal with the SFA, working to ensure the correct path from Grassroots to the top was the best possible.

2e80b474fb94c513429b0baa6736be08.png

It was looking quite successful, and it was really trying to bring back the idea of "street football". Let kids play the game, there's no real need to dictate too much of their play when they are young. Let them explore the game. Let them be the game. We'll only know with time if it is to be a success.

As A judge on the new panel, I have to say this story has completely won me over for the best writing mate. The idea of it is brilliant.

"Hello, Mr Scott?" A foreign voice said as I answered.

"I'm coming back to England. I need new backroom staff, people who know football, people who love football."

"I do love my football, aye." I responded, tired after a long final day of meetings at the club. We had finished tenth and it was some achievement. Big Sam would give me little praise while the squad were in awe at how I had transformed over the year.

"I'm back in London tomorrow, give me call. We can work together." The voice continued.

"Wait, who's calling?"

85297d0e8368512a8be442c53018d035.png