5aa44cf5289933e922b2d32ea7f2abe1.png

"What?" I answered the phone as I was stuck in traffic, it was Jeremy and I was still in a mood. It was a mixture of me wanting Birmingham to work but the contract being stupid and it just built a frustration within me.

"Why am I getting a phone call from McLeish saying you have stormed out of the club and how has it leaked on Twitter?" My agent responded, at a loss and totally confused. He then rambled on about how he has to be present for talks like that.

"They are offering me a 50% cut to stay at St Andrews. **** them, mate. I love McLeish but the area isn't spectacular enough for me to take a huge cut." I responded full of expletives, getting angrier.

"I have a meeting with representatives of the club tomorrow, it will be easier to fish a decent deal out then. Managers rarely even get close to some freedom with wages. You know this?" He responded, clearly excited at the chance of a move. With direct involvement he could easily take a bigger cut for himself.

"Yeah whatever, mate. I'm not taking anything less than £25,000 - However, if there is a promotion I want to go up to my current Hull wage. Alright? Don't be stupid with it and obviously if you can, get me more." With that I hung up and left everything with him.

@RoryScott: Don't get these exaggerated reports, another make-believe story of me demanding cash! #Happy

Tweet is nothing near the truth, it was another story revolving around me and cash. This time there was real substance to it and last time it hit the media, even McLeish knew it was false but still dropped me for a cup final. This time, the news came from a direct argument between the two of us - I doubt they'll even want me to stay.

"How was training? Fair few journo's here, take it the lads weren't best-pleased?" Jeremy said, handing me some papers after the morning session. He had the meeting in the morning while I had training, McLeish just told me not to worry and ignore the press. He 'understood' my frustration and hoped I didn't blame it on him - so the same man who dropped me from a Cup Final for false stories had told me to keep playing my way even though he knew the entire true story! Madness, I'll take it.

"Lads were on my side, they knew a 50% cut was mad." I responded, pulling a jumper over my head before taking a seat to look at what was in front of me.

"You continue on your Hull deal until June, then you move onto either a £23,500 per week deal or £30,000. It depends on the final standings. It was really the best I could do but the Premier League would also mean a massive goal bonus and a decent appearance fee that would actually see you earn £40,000. A goal would also mean you'd be pushing £50,000 per week." He gulped, knowing I wanted more but listed off the extra benefits which I was more than happy with. Rarely would an appearance fee get close to 33% of the usual wage.

"There's also a few other bonuses in there, safety next year brings you almost a six figure sum. The FA Cup would have you take in half a million, as would the League Cup. It's really a good contract." Jeremy continued, handing me a pen.

"Yeah, decent. McLeish reckons with promotion I can easily continue as a first team player." I said taking the pen.

"With you 'getting demands' though, another long-term injury or fitness issues has your wages cut by 50%.." Jeremy cautiously added as I had the pen touch the paper. I looked up, knowing another desperately serious injury could hit me with my history. I'd have to take it, I had insurance. A 3 year deal isn't all too bad anyway.

8c77442325e3530eb58c096719b2b3ce.png

Going great mate. Hope you play well at Birmingham!

@RoryScott: Delighted to be permanently linked with Birmingham (Come June!), love working with McLeish too. Desperate for promotion! #BLUES

3f77a44899628d145b6b9c117b527dfa.png

Was I delighted? Sure, why not? I was going to be on decent money and I was performing well at the club. I'd be straight back in the side as we took on Southampton and I hadn't missed a game since joining. It was a quiet, boring game and Keith Fahey had us in the lead just before half time. The second half was much the same, I was working hard and took a hard hit late on to see me replaced and out of training for a few days before returning stiff in time for a trip to Doncaster.

We were desperate to cling onto Second as we chased Wolves and were being chased by Reading and Sheffield Wednesday. I'd play a storm. I was chasing every ball and winning it, I'd grab a goal before half time. It was a simple rebound from a Cameron Jerome shot and then we'd repeat the same immediately afterwards but with roles reversed. I was becoming a real talking point on the FL Show and on Sky Sports as I began to play my football again. At this point I had featured in 7 out of 8 games the club had played with me, scoring 3 and setting up 4.

I really felt my lower leg after the Doncaster tie, the morning after most games was a tough one but this time it was unreal. I couldn't walk properly and with Emma still to move to Birmingham with me, I was left alone and sore.

I'd call the club for the Club Doctor, who would then give me two options. He'd advise I'd take time out to have a full recovery - which would mean missing the majority of the rest of the season if not it all, or hit up the old Injections. Which just frightened me, players hated it but it removed the pain and got them through games. McLeish thought I was needed to see the season out in the top 2. Of course, there was a third option in I took neither and tried to get to the end of the season and then completely rest. A few months would certainly have the pains gone, as the Doctor said. I wasn't sure.

I really had no idea what to do, I wanted to play football but injections could easy have me in real pain afterwards and out for longer. I'd just see how it went. McLeish would be kind enough to have me sidelined for a Norwich draw but wanted me back for a top of the table clash v Wolves. A win would really see us in hot pursuit of top spot.

I'd never really gone into a game scared, but I was genuinely scared going into this game. I knew I'd probably be in agony the following day and I knew the game was going to be intense. It was the hottest day of April as we sat at 24C. It'd be physical too.

It'd be a cagey first 30 before tackles flew and chances opened up, I worked Hennesey from 25 yards and we were desperate for a goal. We did get one just before half time as I fed Jerome through and we had a lead at half time, I'd already started to feel an almost desperate pain in my leg and instead of standing up and saying I'd just take a couple of painkillers and get on with it. We'd continue in the intense heat before a McFadden cross found O'Connor. 2-0. 20 to go, I asked to go off and limped off. I had an awful second half, the usual painkillers were no use to me now, the pain had subsided for a little bit but the intense activity had them deemed useless.

5b2f157b2a70572f19d3fc5394d3cd9a.png

While we won, and had a chance at the title, we'd draw another 2 on the trot and this would have Wolves run away with it. I wouldn't feature upon request and McLeish made it clear that was an easy 6 points if I was in there, almost a guilt trip that forced me into the side for a game at Watford. We'd sneak by with a 1-0 win through Jerome and I had no real problems. It was a quiet game, once again, but this time I just had the usual soreness the following day. My 2 weeks off had me feeling fresh.

We had a chance against Plymouth to secure promotion but would lose 2-1. I'd be at fault for the second goal, I failed to track their midfielder. It was a poor game, and we needed to win on the final day to secure a top 2 and Premier League promotion.

"Boys lets not be ******* stupid, we know if Reading beat us both them and Sheffield United hop above us and we have to play in the play-offs. And you know what? I don't even want to touch them. They are a vile creation, I am mad for starting our holidays Monday. Not at the end of May - especially if we are setting up for the Championship again. Just think of Old Trafford, ****** Anfield. Heads on the game lads!" I bellowed across the changing room after a light Friday session ahead of the Reading game on the final day.

A simple point would stave off Reading, but Sheffield United would still be there to overtake us had they won. A simple victory would be enough.

"Yeah lads, Wayne Rooney or Paul Thirlwell? A Saturday trip to Old Trafford or a wet windy night in Barnsley? I'm perfectly happy with going to Old Trafford!" James McFadden rose and added, before a few laughs and "yeah, come on!" chants joined him.

I know I was desperate for a Premier League return.

We traveled to Reading and within 20 minutes had the lead through a Keith Fahey free kick. We'd automatically try close up shop, even though McLeish was adamant that "if we score 1, grab a second." but here we were trying to hold on till half time even with McLeish badgering us to get out our box. This cost us after we gave away a sloppy corner. From here they scored and we would hit half time 1-1 and ready to drop to third as United were 1-0 up.

On the hour mark a misplaced pass from Bikey saw me through on goal.. around the keeper and goal! 2-1!

We would see the game out.

77ee1035bf4590820135c8d33d17e385.png

At the end of the 2008/09 season, I had myself play 17 games in 2 years. I'd not feature for Celtic before being sold on to Hull who deemed me 'too fat to play' and I would touch a ball in 6 games before Alex McLeish had faith in me to help his Birmingham City side to promotion. I'd play another 11, score 4 and set up 5.

I wouldn't say I enjoyed my time at Birmingham, the pain I'd find myself in after games wasn't enjoyable, but working with the clubs fitness staff and physiotherapists had me feeling better. I was only 27, I should have years left to play and I shouldn't still be fighting to recover from a leg break.

The Premier League awaits with Alex McLeish and Birmingham.

Great stuff mate - good on Rory for getting the goal to secure promotion!

Rory to become the new Ronaldo? (The real Ronaldo of course)

Rory to become the new Ronaldo? (The real Ronaldo of course)
Cristiano Ronaldo is real enough! But sure you mean the man who came from Braaazil!

If Mr Scott was to have half the career he had I am sure he would be delighted - probably prefer to be half the weight too!

#BadJokeoftheDay

"That's Barry officially signed, Rory.." Emma said looking up from her phone as we slumped on the couch powering through boxsets, we had just returned from a week in Hawaii - and Hawaii ain't cheap! Pre-season had started only days before and we were jetting off for a training camp in the United States and I regretted a holiday in Hawaii because my body clock is going to be tossing and turning.

I immediately hopped up and grabbed my phone, I had to meet up with Barry officially since he was finally here officially. We'd both be with Alex McLeish again, I don't feel either of us were mad for England but I had messed up with Celtic and he had completely messed up with Rangers and Scotland in what was deemed 'boozegate'.

Before I could call I had the gaffer pop up on my phone.

"Alright, gaffer! Barry is in town!" I called down the phone grabbing bits of clothes and hunting for my car keys.

"It's actually his PA, Jane. Alex McLeish wants you at the training ground for 2PM today." She responded, I stopped in my tracks.

"Alright."

I was immediately frightened that this would be me being shipped off - but I couldn't be. I had just officially signed for the club too, I had already played for 2 teams in this calendar year.

I made my way for the training ground to be welcomed by Barry Ferguson and the boss. I was almost nervous but that subsided when I caught a glimpse of Barry. We had become very decent friends, I learned a lot from him at Rangers and thought he was a very decent guy.

"I know you're excited, Rory but no drinking, alright? Need no bad stories for the club. We will be given Barry the armband when we announce him to the press later and I want you to be there as the 'vice-captain' alright? I need you to be a big head this year. The both of you."

d5512f00e7ec05bcc9b9520e0fd4a461.png

-

The press conference came and went, Barry went on about his desperation to make up for his mistakes in Scotland and he had unfinished business here. We were both excited at the year ahead. We had the Premier League to play in, we had Garry O'Connor and James McFadden as fellow Scotsman at the club too.

This was it. This had to be it.

PREMIER LEAGUE TALK

WITH THE SOCCER SATURDAY STARS.

a15ba686674e0a5a324836c8fd2df5c7.png

"Welcome back to our Premier League preview, we get underway today but there is also two big games tomorrow. Manchester United, the Premier League Champions, will welcome newboys Birmingham City and what I want to know is how you guys see Birmingham doing this year? Alex McLeish, the Scottish boss, has Barry Ferguson and Rory Scott in the middle of the park as what he called "The Two Heads" of the team. Calling Scott the vice-captain as Ferguson joins to take the armband. Charlie, what's your thoughts?"

71649ad16f7339f4ca9273a904e116f1.png

"I'm fairly confident in saying they'll be safe this year, Jeff. He's made some decent moves, Scott Dann, Barry Ferguson, Christian Benitez; they are all players who will add something. Their Championship talent coming up too, Cameron Jerome is very good. Rory Scott who is a permanent fixture in there now too, he hasn't played too much in the past 2 years and has had problems but the clips we showed of him at Birmingham last year - he can be something in this league. He really can."

9b85b63a97f41c7d07d641d8f1f45d7c.png

"You say that though, Charlie, he didn't nearly do anything for Hull City last year did he? They were on the verge of relegation despite a decent start. We'll have to wait and see, because Barry Ferguson too is now 31 and not touched English football for a while and he hardly succeeded when at Blackburn.

52e8df1fd9b9477c3479c93918904bdd.png

"I don't see Birmingham even nearly succeeding this year. They'll have Scott, uh, Ferguson and probably that Irish Fahey in the middle of the park and none of them are accomplished here. Decent Championship players, and decent Championship players don't succeed in this league. No way."

@JoseTelstar @RoryScott is destined for failure in the BPL. #Noob #NoLeg #BackToScotland #NotGonnaMakeIt