• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 694
  • Views Views 453K
Status
Not open for further replies.
AMATEUR ATTEMPT AT A FALSE NINE

picture.php

Introduction
What is the "The False Nine"- a player who appears to be playing centre-forward, but drops deep hopefully dragging the opposition CB out of position and creating space for the winger/inside forward or the central midfield to run into and hopefully be through on goal. However If the cb’s don’t follow the “False Nine” they will leave him free and with lots of room and better the player the more damage he will do. The link below from ZonalMarking about Rooney’s performance against Arsenal last year will better describe the false nine.

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/01/31/arsenal-1-3-manchester-united-wayne-rooney-brilliantly-demonstrates-the-value-of-a-false-nine/

Examples of a "false nine"
Cristiano Ronaldo vs Roma away at Roma in the quarter-final, which resulted in a 0-2 victory for United 07/08. Ronaldo is the CF in this game but this short video clip keep on eye on where Ronaldo is every time he gets the ball

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbvldpkG5DQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbvldpkG5DQ[/ame]

Chamakh vs Bolton nice little video showing Chamakh movement

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA8CB8OXCw0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA8CB8OXCw0[/ame]

Why a “False Nine”
Why am I trying to create the false nine? After reading an article on ZonalMarking (Man Utd vs. Man City) that both teams decided to play the smaller, pacier Rooney and Tevez preferred over Berbatov and Dzeko and then The false nine is no longer an abstract concept, it has become an established role in modern football. I always use lone striker formations mainly 4-5-1, 4-5-1 (two dm’s) and 4-2-3-1, I have been successful but I was starting to get annoyed with the lone striker flicking the ball on to and empty space or holding up too long and losing possession or my biggest problem was picking a team who have got a good striker who hasn’t got the strength to play upfront alone and cant fit them in (Defoe springs to mind). After reading “Inverting the Pyramid” and other articles about how players who’s off the ball movement cause so much problems for CB’s and the ability to create space for others interested me.

“False Nine in FM”
This has been debated among every fm based website that I have seen. Is it a complete forward in support, is it a deep-lying forward in support or is it a trequartista. I have used all three before using this current one. But I didn’t feel that I got the right result with them.

So this is what I think could be a "false nine" or close as possible.

picture.php

Analysis

picture.php

This is the lead up to the first goal as you can the "false nine" (in the black box) is very deep and number 18 of Levante is clearly covering for the stopper (number 5) who closes down Perotti

picture.php

The "False Nine" has the ball and he has lots of options to pass or run, The threat ring (black ring) show there is no one in good position to close him down, Levante's number 15 will follow his man. I thought Negredo would pass in the direction of the red arrow but..

picture.php

decides to go for a little run and plays a nice through ball 1-0 to Sevilla.

picture.php

This is what I wanted to see Perotti has the ball no pressure, Negredo comes deep bringing the CB with him big space behind him. Perotti could pass to feet hit a ball into the space for Negredo to run onto, Now I was hoping for Navas (7) to make a darting run in the space between the two CB's.

picture.php

Negredo receives the ball to his feet and runs down the wing taking the CB with him whilst Perotti has taken the fullback now there is a nice space with 3 possible options Negredo decides to go to byline and whips in a bad cross.

picture.php

This time round Negredo has dropped deep taking his marker again and left the space again 3 options for the ball carrier go himself, one-two with Negredo or through ball the to inside forward. Capel decides to go himself and gets tackled.

picture.php

2nd goal nothing special good pressing from the winger Negredo in the best position right between the two Levante cb's nothing special smashes it in bottom corner. I did think he start running back but good decision from Negredo.

picture.php

Could of been the start of a good counter attack if it wasn't for the final whistle. Negredo right in the middle of the "Triangle of Death" (heard it was called that when its a dm and 2 cb's ?) but look at the threat ring no one near him I do believe if this was a Complete Forward Negredo probably flicked it on to the Levante cb's.

Average Position

picture.php

Passes

picture.php

Conclusion
I thought it was pretty close to a "false nine" in terms of his movement even though the "false nine" looked good at I wonder about the other players on my team would they get in the right position to receive the pass or through ball, However what I did like was as soon as Negredo got the ball he didn’t stop spin round and get tackled as I see quite a lot when using the other two roles. Overall I think I could of stumbled across something usually I’m usually critical of the TQ role it always reminds me of Ronaldinho very lazy when the opposition got the ball but with a bit of tweaking looks completely different.

Last edited:
What about a false nine. After reading the article on ZM (Man Utd v Man City) about how both sides preferred the smaller,the pacier forwards i.e. Rooney and Tevez and mainly this line "The false nine is no longer an abstract concept, it has become an established role in modern football- especially in big games like this."

I decided to have go this way instead of a Complete Forward I would use a TQ but tweaked like so

Upload in a sec can't attach the screenshot a the moment. The attachment at the bottom somehow

I went with Messi probably the best "False Nine"

ANALYSIS
View attachment 136211

View attachment 136212

View attachment 136213

View attachment 136214

First game was just to see how he plays and what tweaks needed to be made hopefully 2nd more in depth analysis.

Hopefully some of the more professionals will have a look and make their observations.

Ok, good findings on the false nine, it seems that you have done quite well to imitate it. However, I do have a few criticisms:

• If this was to be an article, in which I am starting to suspect that it is not, then you should have informed me via PM or VM that you were going to do this. I stated before that those who do must tell me beforehand, otherwise I cannot put it in the OP and there will probably be a flurry of them soon if such were to continue.
  • You have made quite a few spelling mistakes. I am not going to judge you on that, but just tell you.
  • You used Barcelona is an example of a false nine. Again, not criticisms, you are welcome too, but it would be beneficial to use other teams with lesser-talented strikers than the likes of Lionel Messi to put the point across. Maybe do Barcelona, but also experiment with Arsenal, Manchester United, Manchester City - even smaller teams.
  • You should so in-match screenshots with your Analysis to back up your point.

I am not saying it's bad. I, personally, have been struggling to get to grips with executing the false nine for quite a while. I have at times given up on it. This is a good post/article, but the following criticisms should be addressed if it were to be an article.

If you tidy it up, re-post it and tell me, I can put it in the OP under Community Contributions. In fact, soon I am going to post a guideline in posting articles on the thread, just so that people can follow it.

Think it would be quite useful attempting a piece on the modern centre half? Is something that in recent weeks, Lucas seems to be doing as well, just not quite to the extent of Busquets.

very good read mate, I've only just started looking at this, but looks like there's an enormous wealth of detail there. I've been fairly successful on FM, but reading your stuff, I haven't even began to scratch the tactical surface of the game yet - I clearly rely too much on signings to succeed. Will give your stuff a go.

Think it would be quite useful attempting a piece on the modern centre half? Is something that in recent weeks, Lucas seems to be doing as well, just not quite to the extent of Busquets.

I have been thinking of that for some time. Will probably do it next week.

very good read mate, I've only just started looking at this, but looks like there's an enormous wealth of detail there. I've been fairly successful on FM, but reading your stuff, I haven't even began to scratch the tactical surface of the game yet - I clearly rely too much on signings to succeed. Will give your stuff a go.

Thanks, and I appreciate it. Hope you do well.

good false nine read but the pictures cant get bigger

Dont know how its getting annoying now because the pictures are key to what I trying to explain

Already explained it to Donkarlito on how to increase picture size.

iNickStuff;1000455 Already explained it to Donkarlito on how to increase picture size.[/QUOTE said:
Thats what I done worked for the first picture but not the rest?

I have been thinking of that for some time. Will probably do it next week.

Good to hear, would be a very good read. Although IMO, unless 11.3 sorts out the CB problem where they don't cover out wide, then it won't be as effective. It's something I am definitely going to look into when the new patch is out.

And may I add, top drawer thread. Really helpful for some people. And if you need any assistance with anything, just holla.

Thats what I done worked for the first picture but not the rest?

Did you copy the BB code?

Good to hear, would be a very good read. Although IMO, unless 11.3 sorts out the CB problem where they don't cover out wide, then it won't be as effective. It's something I am definitely going to look into when the new patch is out.

And may I add, top drawer thread. Really helpful for some people. And if you need any assistance with anything, just holla.

That's true, I will put that on-hold until the next patch, which should cover everything needed, and it'll be the last patch before FM12.

Thanks, and you are more than welcome to put in your own thoughts. It's insisted so that there is not just one opinion dominating the thread.

That's true, I will put that on-hold until the next patch, which should cover everything needed, and it'll be the last patch before FM12.

Thanks, and you are more than welcome to put in your own thoughts. It's insisted so that there is not just one opinion dominating the thread.

Definitely, I do hope it's something that can be implemented soon because in the right system, it could be brilliant.

Awesome, wouldn't want to clutter so if I see something that may be of interest I'll look into it :)

Definitely, I do hope it's something that can be implemented soon because in the right system, it could be brilliant.

Awesome, wouldn't want to clutter so if I see something that may be of interest I'll look into it :)

Nah, knowing you, you wouldn't clutter it. ;)

Great, will be eager with interest with whatever you come up with.

---------- Post added at 02:07 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 10:56 PM ----------

picture.php

Introduction
What is the "The False Nine"- a player who appears to be playing centre-forward, but drops deep hopefully dragging the opposition CB out of position and creating space for the winger/inside forward or the central midfield to run into and hopefully be through on goal. However If the cb’s don’t follow the “False Nine” they will leave him free and with lots of room and better the player the more damage he will do. The link below from ZonalMarking about Rooney’s performance against Arsenal last year will better describe the false nine.

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/01...antly-demonstrates-the-value-of-a-false-nine/

Examples of a "false nine"
Cristiano Ronaldo vs Roma away at Roma in the quarter-final, which resulted in a 0-2 victory for United 07/08. Ronaldo is the CF in this game but this short video clip keep on eye on where Ronaldo is every time he gets the ball

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbvldpkG5DQ

Chamakh vs Bolton nice little video showing Chamakh movement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA8CB8OXCw0

Why a “False Nine”
Why am I trying to create the false nine? After reading an article on ZonalMarking (Man Utd vs. Man City) that both teams decided to play the smaller, pacier Rooney and Tevez preferred over Berbatov and Dzeko and then The false nine is no longer an abstract concept, it has become an established role in modern football. I always use lone striker formations mainly 4-5-1, 4-5-1 (two dm’s) and 4-2-3-1, I have been successful but I was starting to get annoyed with the lone striker flicking the ball on to and empty space or holding up too long and losing possession or my biggest problem was picking a team who have got a good striker who hasn’t got the strength to play upfront alone and cant fit them in (Defoe springs to mind). After reading “Inverting the Pyramid” and other articles about how players who’s off the ball movement cause so much problems for CB’s and the ability to create space for others interested me.

“False Nine in FM”
This has been debated among every fm based website that I have seen. Is it a complete forward in support, is it a deep-lying forward in support or is it a trequartista. I have used all three before using this current one. But I didn’t feel that I got the right result with them.

So this is what I think could be a "false nine" or close as possible.

picture.php

Analysis

picture.php

This is the lead up to the first goal as you can the "false nine" (in the black box) is very deep and number 18 of Levante is clearly covering for the stopper (number 5) who closes down Perotti

picture.php

The "False Nine" has the ball and he has lots of options to pass or run, The threat ring (black ring) show there is no one in good position to close him down, Levante's number 15 will follow his man. I thought Negredo would pass in the direction of the red arrow but..

picture.php

decides to go for a little run and plays a nice through ball 1-0 to Sevilla.

picture.php

This is what I wanted to see Perotti has the ball no pressure, Negredo comes deep bringing the CB with him big space behind him. Perotti could pass to feet hit a ball into the space for Negredo to run onto, Now I was hoping for Navas (7) to make a darting run in the space between the two CB's.

picture.php

Negredo receives the ball to his feet and runs down the wing taking the CB with him whilst Perotti has taken the fullback now there is a nice space with 3 possible options Negredo decides to go to byline and whips in a bad cross.

picture.php

This time round Negredo has dropped deep taking his marker again and left the space again 3 options for the ball carrier go himself, one-two with Negredo or through ball the to inside forward. Capel decides to go himself and gets tackled.

picture.php

2nd goal nothing special good pressing from the winger Negredo in the best position right between the two Levante cb's nothing special smashes it in bottom corner. I did think he start running back but good decision from Negredo.

picture.php

Could of been the start of a good counter attack if it wasn't for the final whistle. Negredo right in the middle of the "Triangle of Death" (heard it was called that when its a dm and 2 cb's ?) but look at the threat ring no one near him I do believe if this was a Complete Forward Negredo probably flicked it on to the Levante cb's.

Average Position

picture.php

Passes

picture.php

Conclusion
I thought it was pretty close to a "false nine" in terms of his movement even though the "false nine" looked good at I wonder about the other players on my team would they get in the right position to receive the pass or through ball, However what I did like was as soon as Negredo got the ball he didn’t stop spin round and get tackled as I see quite a lot when using the other two roles. Overall I think I could of stumbled across something usually I’m usually critical of the TQ role it always reminds me of Ronaldinho very lazy when the opposition got the ball but with a bit of tweaking looks completely different.

Much better. The arrows in the screenshots are useful, you have explained it well and provided footage of the false nine. Well done.

Going to add it to the OP.

Nah, knowing you, you wouldn't clutter it. ;)

Great, will be eager with interest with whatever you come up with.

---------- Post added at 02:07 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 10:56 PM ----------

Much better. The arrows in the screenshots are useful, you have explained it well and provided footage of the false nine. Well done.

Going to add it to the OP.

Glad it met with your approval I'm currently thinking about combining it with your "Modern 2nd striker"

Yea alright thats what i ment, thanks

However, you must follow the rules, and inform me of whenever you are making a new article. Plus, follow similar layouts to how Mike., Frank and Donkarlito have.

Ashley_Young.jpg

Creating the Central Winger
  • · Creating the modern Central Playmaker into Football Manger
The Central Winger

Players who played as winger roles a couple years ago have simply moved to play as a number ten, now making them play in their “natural” position. When Wesley Sneijder was at Real Madrid he would usually play in the wings. Though when moved to Jose Mourinho’s Inter side he was put in the number ten role and would base the tactic around him.

Also other players, that have spent their formative years as wingers are now playing in the central playmaking role this season. Ashley Young at Aston Villa, Adam Ljajic at Fiorentina, Mathie Valbuena at Marseille. These players seem to be change the way the playmaker thinks causing changes into the modern game.

The result that these players give to the playmaker position is different. Instead of staying in the center waiting to find space, they move to the flanks and get the ball there. This give the other players to move to the center or other areas since the player takes a player with him to the flanks. Give themselves better option of passing the ball to a player.

42881bd1e1.jpg

Ashley Young’s passes higher on the flanks rather than the center of the pitch. Bring towards the point that the central winger moves into flanks to obtain the ball and play it off. Another example (below) is Fiorentina’s Adam Ljajic, when on defensive duties (on the left) he stays on the center but as soon as Fiorentina break away towards the attack (central and right picture) he moves towards the left and right flank to receive the ball.

42c289af67.jpg

Football Manager

In the article I have chosen to choose the Inter team, as I mentioned how Jose Mourinho has take Sneijder into this role. Sneijder had a great season last year, and was all over the place with wonder passes, has a beautiful shot, and knows where all his teammates are. Probably one of the best players of the modern game.

d6d212685a.jpg

As seen (above) Sneijder, will be playing in the center of two other central midfielders, he will be moving to right and left to get the ball and give to another player to create the play, explaining his playmaker role.

92d2ef52dc.jpg

For his position to work, he has to have at least 13 in the following attributes:

• First Touch: The being of every players play is his first touch, if he has a bad first touch the team will not get anything from him since he has to have a decent first touch to pass the ball in a good angle when he get a pass to him.
  • Passing: Having a good passing skill here is very important, the player has to be able to make good passes and direct to player, if he has a bad passing rating, his passes will not get towards him, but if he as a good pass, it will no doubt reach the player its intended for.
  • Creativity: He is the playmaker after all, so he has to be creative he has to see what will be the better option to his intellectual ideas with a creative pass helping him choose what to do, creativity is a very important attribute here.
  • Decisions: The play maker has to have a great decision attribute, because he has to make sure he is doing the right thing, there are many options when he has the ball in his feet but which one is the best out of all of them, that’s where this comes to plays deciding.
  • Teamwork: He has to have good teamwork, he has to be able to rely on his teammates and his teammates to rely on him, if not how are they going to get or receive the ball?
00fdc7fcd0.jpg

For the modern role to work, we have to fix some of the things given. He has to be able to play wide, hug the touchline, he has to be in each side at all times, to get better results and opening up the play for him and his teammates, he has to have a lot of creative freedom, and mostly be attacking, for the player to be looking for the ball.

In Match Example

ebea7d213e.jpg

(Above) Maicon has the ball, and he is going to pass it to Zannetti, and Sneijder as seen has moved into the flank bringing to defenders with him leave a gap in the center of Roma's number 10 and 33. Which in when Maicon will give the ball to Zannetti, and Zannetti will give Sneijder a pass, once he moves to the gap.

a54789eb3d.jpg

(Above) Zannetti has the ball now and Sneijder has moved back to the center to receive the ball, as seen Pandev will move towards the open space left once Sneijder took player 33 with him, leaving Pandev for and option to cross, or pass it back.
aa5d5e7ac1.jpg

(Above) Sneijder has the ball and Pandev is moving towards the open space still, which Sneijder will give him the ball, with him to give the ball into the box, shoot, or cut it back for a normal pass.
2acc6dd045.jpg

(Above) Pandev recieves the ball, and is going to give towards the space were Sneijder is, giving Sneijder a run to either cross, pass or shoot, in this case he shot one touch which resulted into a goal.

Match Analysis

4032a9995c.jpg

In the picture (above), its shown that most of Sneijder's passes were on the flanks, leaving a few in the center. Which shows that Sneijder was all over the place as he is supposed to as a Central Winger. With him moving from flank to flank, giving the teams options, bringing great results to the team.

Conclusion

Central winger is a great position to have in your team as the player gives the team more options, bringing great results to the team, and giving the whole team a morale boost. Possible one of the best positions in modern football, that help you in the game, and should not be taken lightly since he exploits the other team leaving them with gaps in important areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back