An [Amateur] Tactician's Chalkboard for FM11

• Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date
  • Replies 694
  • Views 451K
Status
Not open for further replies.
How do I make my Ballwinning Cm more effective... He will do great if he gets even 2 interceptions in a game and opposition is playing through middle when I'm playing him so that won't be the thing why he isn't working ... He won't even make more than 3 tackles in a game. I have him on loose man mark and haven't touched any of the other settings. I'd like him to tackle every single time his man gets the ball or be there and intercept the pass goming to him. What to tweak? Someone got 'perfect ballwinner instructions' ?

How do I make my Ballwinning Cm more effective... He will do great if he gets even 2 interceptions in a game and opposition is playing through middle when I'm playing him so that won't be the thing why he isn't working ... He won't even make more than 3 tackles in a game. I have him on loose man mark and haven't touched any of the other settings. I'd like him to tackle every single time his man gets the ball or be there and intercept the pass goming to him. What to tweak? Someone got 'perfect ballwinner instructions' ?

There are no "perfect ballwinner instructions". None at all. In fact, there is no perfect anything on this game. All ball-winners play and react differently, and it's also dependent on the team's style of play that makes their performance good or bad.

I would suggest reducing his Mentality deep into Defensive, whilst reducing his Creative Freedom all the way down to very little, if not none. Then follow on to put his Closing Down to one click into Own Area, met with Hard tackling. But this is only altered to whether or not he has high Aggression, Bravery and Tackling attributes - not to mention that he doesn't 'Dive into Tackles'.

The marking settings should be altered when the opposition have a dangerous threat from midfield that can be compromised by the ball-winner. From that point, when editing tactics set the marking to Specific, and pick on them. Tight marking. 'Roam From Position' should be left unticked and it should be fine from then on.

That is what I do anyway.

There are no "perfect ballwinner instructions". None at all. In fact, there is no perfect anything on this game. All ball-winners play and react differently, and it's also dependent on the team's style of play that makes their performance good or bad.

I would suggest reducing his Mentality deep into Defensive, whilst reducing his Creative Freedom all the way down to very little, if not none. Then follow on to put his Closing Down to one click into Own Area, met with Hard tackling. But this is only altered to whether or not he has high Aggression, Bravery and Tackling attributes - not to mention that he doesn't 'Dive into Tackles'.

The marking settings should be altered when the opposition have a dangerous threat from midfield that can be compromised by the ball-winner. From that point, when editing tactics set the marking to Specific, and pick on them. Tight marking. 'Roam From Position' should be left unticked and it should be fine from then on.

That is what I do anyway.

I want my ball winner win ball back high up the pitch so opponent have to play down flanks cause they don't have anytime to get possession in middle .. will defensive mentality do this ?

I want my ball winner win ball back high up the pitch so opponent have to play down flanks cause they don't have anytime to get possession in middle .. will defensive mentality do this ?

Try playing a high defensive line. That way your defenders will also work to win the ball higher up the field.

High closing down in that case, but I have read from somewhere that with higher mentality players go to more risky tackles, not sure about it though. Anyway I would use low mentality anyway, that way he doesn't try to do anything risky when in possession.

Try playing a high defensive line. That way your defenders will also work to win the ball higher up the field.

High closing down in that case, but I have read from somewhere that with higher mentality players go to more risky tackles, not sure about it though. Anyway I would use low mentality anyway, that way he doesn't try to do anything risky when in possession.

I will echo these two in what they have said, because it is pin-point. High closing down, but not to Whole Pitch and a higher defensive line should help. Your defenders, however, should have high Concentration, Anticipation and Decision attributes for it to be completed successfully without being exposed by quicker and technically-efficient strikers.

Determination works as well but it's not drastically important.

---------- Post added at 05:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

Changed the tactics as you suggested

Results
View attachment 172507

Matches
View attachment 172508View attachment 172509View attachment 172510View attachment 172511View attachment 172512

Understanding more ? That got me thinking, what is the difference between you spoon feeding me alterations and me just downloading a tactic ? I've played FM 11 for 5-6 months now and I'm still ****** useless at tactics.

In FM 08 I took Bury from L2 to premeir champions (6 times in a row) and CL champions (5 times in a row) in 22 seasons. In FM 11 I couldn't win a one ticket lottery.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Like I mentioned to Poker Joker, I will be writing an article soon on how to play away games without suffering heavily, but you seem to be having a bad habit of obtaining a yellow card every game you play. It shouldn't be like that tbh, and you need to be softer in the tackle - as much as it may not win you more games, it will avoid bookings, sending offs and most of all, suspensions.

Have you tried to play More Cautious, or is it still on Default or More Aggressive.

And again, with time, it will become easier.

I have my offence pretty much setup in my Manchester City save, 4-2-3-1 with Yaya and De Rossi DM one being defensive midfielder support and Deep lying playmaker defend. Now its gone pretty well first season but the apparent thing is I am leaking a **** of alot of goals through set pieces and my full backs just seem to do crazy things, my line is deep with pressure coming from the DM's but the problem is diagonal through balls just cut my CB-FB line. The gap seems to be so big between full back to centre back and for some reason despite my team instruct being set to wide the fullbacks always tuck inside and by the time they push out its too late.

Any defensive tweakers around to help with my line/pressure?
Flat back four of Kompany, Mertesacker/Zapata/Toure (Not a fan of Kolo hes made too many errors)/Boateng with full backs of Criscito/Corchia/Kolarov//Richards/Zabaleta

The AMR and AML are inside forwards with limited duties defensively, I normally just set them to mark the opposition fullbacks in big games.

I think an issue could be team blend still, De Rossi/Hamsik have been caught in possession alot and I've put that down to the fact they just arrived from Serie A and haven't got used to the tempo yet.

Tackling wise I put my wide men to tackle hard (Bit of an error but I cant find a way around that) and central defenders to tackle normal.

I have conceded 2 penalties all season both Vs United and Rooney, I think the cause of my CBs getting turned constantly is man marking and set to tightly but I'm really not a fan of zonal marking.

Any suggestions?
Oh and also I like short passing so every player has instructions to pass Short and my back four has no creative freedom with mentality on normal.

I have my offence pretty much setup in my Manchester City save, 4-2-3-1 with Yaya and De Rossi DM one being defensive midfielder support and Deep lying playmaker defend. Now its gone pretty well first season but the apparent thing is I am leaking a **** of alot of goals through set pieces and my full backs just seem to do crazy things, my line is deep with pressure coming from the DM's but the problem is diagonal through balls just cut my CB-FB line. The gap seems to be so big between full back to centre back and for some reason despite my team instruct being set to wide the fullbacks always tuck inside and by the time they push out its too late.

Any defensive tweakers around to help with my line/pressure?
Flat back four of Kompany, Mertesacker/Zapata/Toure (Not a fan of Kolo hes made too many errors)/Boateng with full backs of Criscito/Corchia/Kolarov//Richards/Zabaleta

The AMR and AML are inside forwards with limited duties defensively, I normally just set them to mark the opposition fullbacks in big games.

I think an issue could be team blend still, De Rossi/Hamsik have been caught in possession alot and I've put that down to the fact they just arrived from Serie A and haven't got used to the tempo yet.

Tackling wise I put my wide men to tackle hard (Bit of an error but I cant find a way around that) and central defenders to tackle normal.

I have conceded 2 penalties all season both Vs United and Rooney, I think the cause of my CBs getting turned constantly is man marking and set to tightly but I'm really not a fan of zonal marking.

Any suggestions?
Oh and also I like short passing so every player has instructions to pass Short and my back four has no creative freedom with mentality on normal.

The first thing to ask is what are the Concentration, Anticipation and Decisions attributes like from your defenders. That's what matters most with defenders mentally and when having to hold their defensive line. Concentration and Decisions in full backs so that they do not draw themselves out of position by mistake. I would also think that Aggression and Bravery are high, so the tackling needs to be reduced down to Normal or Easy if they also have high Tackling attributes. 'Does Not Dive into Tackles' is key.

Next is what your defensive line set up is between your central defenders and full backs. The one thing that people do that often leaks goals at the back is their use of the infamous 'Stopper-Cover' system that so often has become attributed to a "perfect defence". I don't play that combination/system anymore, and rather rely on a Limited Defender and Central Defender/Ball-Playing Defender combination, as it is much more simplistic and easier, as well as hold a better line when not playing far too attacking. I would also assume that your full backs are on a 'Wing Back, Support' role and duty combination. They should just be the default 'Full Back, Automatic' role if not already. It can then be altered through Player Instructions to make them more attacking or defensive.

Now, personally, I would play the following in your defence:

Criscitio - Kompany - Mertesacker - Richards

I have seen Mertesacker's attributes, and they are strange, because he is not an aggressive defender, but he is cool and composed on the ball - but cannot pass long and far, high up the field. And with Kompany, he looks like a no-nonsense defender, but just has a poor Decisions attribute that I would, assume, has increased over a period of time now.

Kompany: Limited Defender, Defend

Mertesacker: Central Defender, Cover

For Mertesacker, his passing should be set to Short, whilst his Creative Freedom is None and his Defensive mentality probably a few clicks into Defensive. Three or four. Criscito and Co. should just be normal full backs, that have their Closing Down a click or two to the left of the middle and their Creative Freedom in the middle.

I would, lastly suggest setting Kompany's tackling to Easy, as one of his Player Preferred Movements is "Tries to Play Way Out of Trouble". When he gets booked, he is more than likely to be booked again, or be sent off - or even concede a penalty.

The first thing to ask is what are the Concentration, Anticipation and Decisions attributes like from your defenders. That's what matters most with defenders mentally and when having to hold their defensive line. Concentration and Decisions in full backs so that they do not draw themselves out of position by mistake. I would also think that Aggression and Bravery are high, so the tackling needs to be reduced down to Normal or Easy if they also have high Tackling attributes. 'Does Not Dive into Tackles' is key.

Next is what your defensive line set up is between your central defenders and full backs. The one thing that people do that often leaks goals at the back is their use of the infamous 'Stopper-Cover' system that so often has become attributed to a "perfect defence". I don't play that combination/system anymore, and rather rely on a Limited Defender and Central Defender/Ball-Playing Defender combination, as it is much more simplistic and easier, as well as hold a better line when not playing far too attacking. I would also assume that your full backs are on a 'Wing Back, Support' role and duty combination. They should just be the default 'Full Back, Automatic' role if not already. It can then be altered through Player Instructions to make them more attacking or defensive.

Now, personally, I would play the following in your defence:

Criscitio - Kompany - Mertesacker - Richards

I have seen Mertesacker's attributes, and they are strange, because he is not an aggressive defender, but he is cool and composed on the ball - but cannot pass long and far, high up the field. And with Kompany, he looks like a no-nonsense defender, but just has a poor Decisions attribute that I would, assume, has increased over a period of time now.

Kompany: Limited Defender, Defend

Mertesacker: Central Defender, Cover

For Mertesacker, his passing should be set to Short, whilst his Creative Freedom is None and his Defensive mentality probably a few clicks into Defensive. Three or four. Criscito and Co. should just be normal full backs, that have their Closing Down a click or two to the left of the middle and their Creative Freedom in the middle.

I would, lastly suggest setting Kompany's tackling to Easy, as one of his Player Preferred Movements is "Tries to Play Way Out of Trouble". When he gets booked, he is more than likely to be booked again, or be sent off - or even concede a penalty.

Brilliant suggestions, full backs are set to close down own half (just before the own area line) and the CBs are set to own area with kompany stepping up an extra 'adjustment' to the right of the line towards own half.
Concentration is very key I agree, the biggest case and point was a league cup final where Criscito was too lazy running behind to pick up the ball and Antonio Valencia just pounced.
Need to figure out a way to limit Yaya Toure at DM so hes always ball side not goal side as often as he is, another problem Im finding is stopping the oppositions play when they use quick free kicks...Has anyone found a way to stop this without kicking them off the park? lol

Brilliant suggestions, full backs are set to close down own half (just before the own area line) and the CBs are set to own area with kompany stepping up an extra 'adjustment' to the right of the line towards own half.
Concentration is very key I agree, the biggest case and point was a league cup final where Criscito was too lazy running behind to pick up the ball and Antonio Valencia just pounced.
Need to figure out a way to limit Yaya Toure at DM so hes always ball side not goal side as often as he is, another problem Im finding is stopping the oppositions play when they use quick free kicks...Has anyone found a way to stop this without kicking them off the park? lol

* Half way line.

What are Yaya's instructions like. You could limit his Mentality and Closing Down, but keep a high Creative Freedom and a bit more of a direct passing game, depending on if he is the team's main creative outlet. Direct passes could lead to a range of through passes onto the striker and goal scoring opportunities.

In regards to quick free-kicks; have you assessed your set-pieces yet. One thing oto do is have one charge down the free-kick and a defender in the area with a very high Bravery attribute that can also get in the way of it. Bravery also attributes to putting one's own body on the line to stop the ball from going into the back of the net, or becoming a dangerous threat to the team.

Here's an example:

[video=youtube;v0kh5nqK-d8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0kh5nqK-d8[/video]

He put his body on the line. And leg.

* Half way line.

What are Yaya's instructions like. You could limit his Mentality and Closing Down, but keep a high Creative Freedom and a bit more of a direct passing game, depending on if he is the team's main creative outlet. Direct passes could lead to a range of through passes onto the striker and goal scoring opportunities.

In regards to quick free-kicks; have you assessed your set-pieces yet. One thing oto do is have one charge down the free-kick and a defender in the area with a very high Bravery attribute that can also get in the way of it. Bravery also attributes to putting one's own body on the line to stop the ball from going into the back of the net, or becoming a dangerous threat to the team.

Here's an example:

[video=youtube;v0kh5nqK-d8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0kh5nqK-d8[/video]

He put his body on the line. And leg.

Nick could you give me some help with my Arsenal Central Defense. I am playing Vermalean and Koscielny should I play Vermalean as a Limited Defender - Defend and Koscielny as a Central Defender Cover. Vermalean has very good mental stats and seems to be the more aggressive of the two, while Koscielny is not so aggressive and reads the game better. What would you recommend

Nick what is best roles for my man Utd centre backs with; rio vida smalling Evans are my options. Would you advice me to get vida to tutor 1 and rio the other

Nick could you give me some help with my Arsenal Central Defense. I am playing Vermalean and Koscielny should I play Vermalean as a Limited Defender - Defend and Koscielny as a Central Defender Cover. Vermalean has very good mental stats and seems to be the more aggressive of the two, while Koscielny is not so aggressive and reads the game better. What would you recommend

Nick what is best roles for my man Utd centre backs with; rio vida smalling Evans are my options. Would you advice me to get vida to tutor 1 and rio the other

In all honesty, both of your defences are fine the way they are. James, your instincts are correct, but an alternative would be Limited Defender for Vermaelen, and then Ball-Playing Defender, Cover for Koscielny. Not that much of a difference. And for Chris, Limited Defender for Vidic and Central Defender, Defend for Ferdinand.

The one thing people do is over-complicate their defence, or try to do things are unnecessary and wind up having an imbalance or leak a large amount of goals. The key is to keep it simple, or keep it to the tactic for which you are playing. Here's an example;

Lora - Godin - Dominguez - Lopez

This is my current defence with Atletico Madrid. I play the following; "Full Back (Automatic) - Limited Defender (Defend) - Central Defender (Defend) - Full Back (Automatic". Sometimes, I would switch it a little to have Dominguez drop deep and play Cover, so that he can sweep out passes retain possession. I am currently trying to make him into a Ball-Playing Defender via training schedules, but even then, his role would change to Ball-Playing Defender, Defend.

Everything in their Player Instructions is on Default usually, or I would make their Tackling, Normal or Easy - dependent on the tactic itself. So far, I have leaked few goals per game, as the defence has now matured and become better and more consistent. There are a few snags here and there, but there are no 3-2's, 4-3's or 5-4's. Simply because the defence has a simple job to do and it does it fine.

If you really want to alter your Player Instructions, then change your most aggressive defender's PI's to have no Creative Freedom, low Closing Down and Easy tackling. The other defender can have a little higher Closing Down, a small portion of Creative Freedom and Normal tackling. That should do fine. No "Stopper-Cover" system whatsoever. People need to snap out of that because it's not FM10 anymore.

Anyway, just play a normal and un-complicated set-up.

74524-albums705-173687.jpg

Stretford End Project: 2010-11 Manchester United Database [Version 1.1]

• The first full database for the Stretford End Project, consisting more changes than from the first preliminary database.
  • The new database and changelist includes releasing of players from all twenty clubs in the Barclays Premier League, the ending of loan transfers, current and potential ability upgrades and downgrades, and club changes.
  • The first version of the 2010-11 Manchester United database is now available.

Ok, so the Barclays Premier League season is officially over and the three teams that are going to go down have been finalised, two of whom that have stayed in the Premier League longer than some of the other contenders for the drop and the final latter that came up into the top-flight with a breath of fresh air, enthusiasm and fighting spirit - unfortunately, it wasn't enough, and they will have to re-build for next season. As well as that, Manchester United have been crowned league champions for the nineteenth time to go past Liverpool, for which they now hold the title of being 'the most successful club in England' and await their fate at Wembley where they will face F.C. Barcelona in the UEFA Champions League final.

Alongside all of that has come the first full version of the 2010-11 Manchester United database that will come along with the Stretford End Project, but also hones a secondary name in the Manchester United Compendium. An annual project that consists of a database, editorial files and tactics to the enjoyment of Manchester United fans alike as we wait for the next installment of Football Manager in the fall of 2011. This time, unlike the preliminary database, the full version consists of over 500 changes from the last, and a huge 453 added. This, however, only spans across the Barclays Premier League and not out of it, so therefore you will not see changes in the styles of teams like Real Madrid and F.C. Barcelona until later in a seperate editorial file.

This database consists of varied changes, including upgrades and downgrades in the current and potential abilities of players, transfer and wage budget differentials, the termination of loan transfers after their expiry date, future transfers, the retirement of players, the expiry of contracts from almost all twenty clubs in the Barclays Premier League and changes to the tactical attributes of clubs, such as their preferred formations, attacking and defensive mentalities and reliance on their main playmakers respectively.

NOTE:

The following database may have biased changes towards certain players and clubs. Please be aware of this before downloading and/or criticising the database due to the changes made. Constructive criticism is allowed, but however, harsh and unnecessary comments or posts will be ignored or deleted.

Thank you.

Downloading the database

74524-albums705-170633.png

Like the last time, here are instructions in how to download the database, so please follow these carefully in order for this to appear in your game:

Now, primarily before you actually get to try out the database, you need to know where to put it and how. For those who don't know, here are some small steps to show you. When you start a new game, you are often given the chance to play between patches that have been released by Sports Interactive over a course of time. Right now, we're at the stage, with Football Manager 2011, where all three have been released, so we make sure that the 11.3 patch is selected, as shown in the picture above. Editor data files are basically files that are added to the game by one's self through the game's self-installed Editor programme, or downloaded off FM-Base itself. This can range from added leagues that are not available on the game itself by default, to nations, players and coaches, to even comprehensive projects like a world league. Press 'Confirm' when done.

For this, however, you must click on 11.3 for it to work.

74524-albums705-170634.png

After selecting the database, 11.3, below the top bar you will find a tab called 'Select Editor Data Files' where you will find a range of editor files that you have created yourself or downloaded off Football Manager sites or file hosts - such as FM-Base. The ones ticked are the ones that will appear in your game, whereas the ones unticked will not. When you find this, you must click on the '2010-11 Manchester..' file for it to be activated and in your game. This is a screenshot of mine currently, with self-made editor files to add real competition names, databases and kit changes. Once done, press 'Confirm' at the bottom right of the screen.

[To download editor files, place them in the following folder
(My) Documents/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2011/editor data/] and they will appear. You cannot, unfortunately, add a database and continue a current save. You must make a new save and then add it to your current select, add the nations, and start again.

Club changelist:

• Morale: 14 > 18
  • Transfer budget: £14million > £17million
  • Second preferred formation: 4-1-2-1-2 > 4-2-3-1 Defensive Midfielders (Editorial name)
  • Vice captain: Ryan Giggs

• Owen Hargreaves contract: Manchester United > Free agent (Was released from the club)
  • Federico Macheda: U.C. Sampdoria > Manchester United, end of loan
  • Joe Dudgeon: Manchester United > Hull City, £83,000

The club changes were made due to the capture of the Barclays Premier League title, and so therefore morale would be much higher than 14. I would have thought that, also, there would be an increase in the transfer budget for SAF, and did so accordingly, and increased it from £14million to £17million - as also with the possible transfer of David de Gea from Atletico Madrid being in the press recently.

Following on, I released Owen Hargreaves from his contract sharply, returned Federico Macheda from his loan spell at Italian outfit U.C. Sampdoria and transferred Joe Dudgeon, a now-former Manchester United youngster, to Hull City. Ryan Giggs was made vice captain of the club for just simple and self-explanatory reasons. As for changes spanning across the whole of the Barclays Premier League, it is available for download in a Microsoft Word document on MediaFire, as there are too many changes to just list here and I cannot insert it on the thread. Over 450 in fact. So, I will leave it below alongside the latest version of the 2010-11 Manchester United database.

2010-11 Manchester United changelist, available at MediaFire.com

View attachment 173688

Could you tell me about some strikers who can play as 'modern centre forwards beside rooney and van persie?

Could you tell me about some strikers who can play as 'modern centre forwards beside rooney and van persie?

Like I have told you before.

Have no idea. Would rather you just find decent strikers that can play primarily as an Advanced Forward and get them scouted. Haven't looked to that. Maybe Romelu Lukaku and Khoumana Boubacar, but that's as far as I can go really.

I really don't know, maybe. Try it out for yourself.

Yes but that was bout a young striker, im just asking about players who can play good in that role? you actually said early in the thread that you would make a shortlist of about 20+ players who have the right attributes to play there..

Yes but that was bout a young striker, im just asking about players who can play good in that role? you actually said early in the thread that you would make a shortlist of about 20+ players who have the right attributes to play there..

Look, you don't understand firstly how long it takes me to compile a shortlist where everyone can see that the majority of the players on that list are affordable, good in the role and have a long-term longevity. Moreover the the fact to have the time to actually do it. I have other things that I want to complete to. Last of all, that was in the 11.2 patch.

Did I not also tell you to look at players who are good as Advanced Forwards, because they can also play as Complete Forwards too. There is not a large difference in the role and it also comes without exhaustive searches for the 'perfect' player for the role.

Status
Not open for further replies.