An [Amateur] Tactician's Chalkboard for FM11

• Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date
  • Replies 694
  • Views 452K
Status
Not open for further replies.
iNick or Mike what will they being with the new update 11.3?? As i hate the fact i cant get the Xavi passing like he does in real life!

iNick or Mike what will they being with the new update 11.3?? As i hate the fact i cant get the Xavi passing like he does in real life!

We don't know yet. All of the transfers will be done, alongside bug fixes and glitches, but hopefully the three-man defence problem and possibly Xavi's passing - but I doubt it.

11.3 will just patch every common problem that has come into the game.

They don't stay together, and one of the defenders on the side almost always gets forward. It looks jagged.

Not notice that before look out for it. But one of the defenders going forward aint bad if your playing against a team playing with one striker

Not notice that before look out for it. But one of the defenders going forward aint bad if your playing against a team playing with one striker

It depends. But really, they go forward when they shouldn't, like when they (the opposition) are on the ball, inside their own half.

Anyway, if it doesn't get sorted in 11.3, then I'll (or Mike. will) have to work on it.

It depends. But really, they go forward when they shouldn't, like when they (the opposition) are on the ball, inside their own half.

Anyway, if it doesn't get sorted in 11.3, then I'll (or Mike. will) have to work on it.

Thanks for letting me know Ill watch that because im trying to get a workable 3-6-1

I'm playing as Napoli either way so ill see what i can do

Thanks for letting me know Ill watch that because im trying to get a workable 3-6-1

No problem. Post it here if you want, and it could be put in the Community Contributions section.

I'm playing as Napoli either way so ill see what i can do

Cheers. When you do, I would be thankful if you could give me some rough feedback from how you did? That way, I can see some of the small problems, and try to fix them - even if the 11.3 patch doesn't.

No problem. Post it here if you want, and it could be put in the Community Contributions section.

Cheers. When you do, I would be thankful if you could give me some rough feedback from how you did? That way, I can see some of the small problems, and try to fix them - even if the 11.3 patch doesn't.
yeah will do mate

'modern Tactics: Arsenal F.C.

• To compare and re-create Arsenal's successful 4-2-3-1 of this season.
  • To emulate the passing and fluid system embedded into the formation, with influential players such as Cesc Fabregas, Robin van Persie and Samir Nasri.
Article #6: The 'modern Series
Sunday, 13th February 2011

Ok, so on Thursday, I released an article talking about the modern-day fullbacks of the game, and how they are critically important to any side around the world - with obviousness written all over. Today, whilst I have a little bit of creativity left in my as another gruelling week embarks on mine, I will be putting in my own two cents on how Arsenal have played this season - and their charge to the Premier League title since their last win of it back in the Les Invincibles season of 2003-04. Beware of the fact that I am not looking to represent all of Arsenal's play this season, because that is practically near-impossible. This is just rather my best knowledgable representation of them.

Also, I'd like to get out of the way that I am only doing a quick rush of articles because of two reasons. (1) I have other things that need to get done soon, i.e. exams and the future of my life hanging within the balance of them (2) To make a PDF. document, as mentioned by Mike. earlier in the page, where it will be attached the OP after a certain amount of articles is reached. The minimum being twenty. It is not to say that these quick rushes of articles are done without detail and much thought, but, I have to admit, that some of them may be half-hearted efforts. If they are, I will try to re-do them.

Arsenal closing in on one of their strongest title challenges since 2004

The success in which Arsenal achieved seven seasons ago is still embedded into the minds of every Arsenal fan who experienced it, the player who still is in the Arsenal eleven since then (Gael Clichy) and the manager who led them there, and to his third Premier League title since the last two years before.

This was boiled down to, not only magnificent players in the non-flying Dutchman Dennis Bergkamp, the midfield prowess of Patrick Vieira and Ray Parlour, the gallant and inspirational striker of Thierry Henry, and his fellow compatriot - Robert Pires, but also through the use of a system that had simplicity, yet elegance to it. The 4-4-2 that Arsene Wenger used had the media, at times left scratching their heads at how the most common formation in football, could be turned into one of the most dominating, successful and downright beautiful pieces of football since the days that Pele, Diego Maradona and Ferenc Puskas graced the turfs that were once marred by uneven mud and blades of grass being engulfed by the poor texture.

But since those days, Wenger has found affinity in a new system that was introduced following their defeat to Barcelona in the Champions League final, back in 2006 - a memorable, yet distraught-filled night for Arsenal fans. Arsene went from his beloved 4-4-2, to the 4-3-3 that once utilised a fluid three-man midfield that would have a creator-passer-destroyer ring to it, to now the 4-2-3-1 that allows full-flowing creativity from all three midfielders. It now stands at passer-creator-destroyer, with Fabregas, Wilshere and Song being in that coveted three.

This season, they have arguably looked stronger than in the previous seasons that saw the critics write them off countless times in the run-up to the end of the season. Manchester United's treble of Premier League titles, only to be followed by Chelsea ending their barren spell since the 2006, and the departure of Jose Mourinho in search of pastures new, was making Liverpool bigger contenders for the crown, and Arsenal the lesser.

Currently, Manchester United sit top of the table, with there still being an encounter with Arsenal to yet be played at the Emirates, whilst enjoying a possibly-temporary four point lead ahead of the Gunners. Should United start to slip up from a league title that was, and still is their's to lose, then you wouldn't bet against the Gunners being the team to capitalise on their shortcomings.

The system

Unlike in the previous article to do with replicating tactics in Villarreal, Arsenal's formation isn't one or the other. It's a 4-2-3-1. Simple as. The long-awaited transferral of Cesc Fabregas from just a central midfielder into a much more freelance attacking midfielder, where the link-up between the midfield and the attack (through him) is much more evident, has also given another option to Arsenal, which will be covered soon in the article.

picture.php

Here, taken from ZonalMarking, is the match in which Arsenal came back to beat Everton at home 2-1 and gain three points. The way it is laid out in the diagram is pretty much the way that I have tried to recreate it on Football Manager.

FM-wise, it looks like this:

picture.php

Not too dissimilar from the game against Everton, but a not-too-shabby depiction of Arsenal's play this season. Of course, I made a few tweaks to it that may not be in Arsenal's play but, on the whole, all of it is there and was very enjoyable. There is variation almost everywhere in the tactic, where Clichy is the more hard-working in terms of defensive responsibilities, Song and Wilshere work in a pair that inter-changes every-so-often and Nasri, with Arshavin, co-operate with one-another to help the frontman in Robin van Persie to gain scoring opportunities with precise, fluid play.

Fabregas' PI and performances of-late

picture.php

There is little need to have to tell anyone who watches Arsenal regularly that Cesc Fabregas is easily their best player. Tracked down by Spanish giants in Barcelona and Real Madrid in recent publicised times, the Spaniard, this season has contributed to the system by being the heartbeat of the formation - as anyone who plays in the centre attacking midfield slot would be. In twenty-nine appearances this season, Fabregas is one of the club's top goalscorers, with nine in all competitions and ten assists in the Premier League to accompany his tally, making him the fourth-highest (according to Premier League statistics) that includes Man Utd's Wayne Rooney, the Baggies' Chris Brunt, fellow team-mate in Andrey Arshavin and Nani.

So with that aside, there was an obvious need to accustom Fabregas' high attributes with a lot of freedom that would benefit, not only him, but the team as a whole. The choice in playing him as an Advanced Playmaker on Support was quite self-explanatory, leaving me to just tinker with his PI and make him a lot more free-lance in his play.

I set his passing to two clicks away from Short, in which was to be, hopefully, a contribution to a higher passage rate, the ability to run with the ball more often, the ability to move into channels and to roam from his position. I should have played around with it more, but another part of me thought that detailing it too much may hinder his game. Edit at your will if you wish to perceive your own PI with Fabregas.

picture.php

But, so far in the league, cup and Champions League, his performances have been nothing short of exquisite. Having achieved a well-deserved average rating of 7.66, he has achieved eight assists, two goals and a Man of the Match award that tagged along in one of his marvellous performances. However, I am slightly disappointed that he's achieved an 83% passage completion. It could be a lot better. 260 passes complete out of a possible 310 is decent, but the percentage is not fitting for a player who has 19 Passing, 19 Creativity, 18 Anticipation and 17 Decision. Maybe it's because he's playing as a central attacking midfielder, I don't know.

picture.php

His best passing game came against my 6-0 hammering of Wolves on the opening day of the season (shown above) . Forty-six passes, thirty-six completed, with the one being key. The screenshot looks pretty bare, but I am guessing that it is only consoled by the fact that he is the top assist-man in, not only the team, but the Premier League. He was placed higher up the pitch in the game, as shown, but also coming deep to supplement the defence and midfield with short passes and trying to quicken the tempo in progression for an attack.

picture.php

He is leading the charts with seven, as opposed to Liverpool's midfield general, Raul Meireles, who has four. Andrey Arshavin is not far from him, with four himself, but also highlighted was the fact that Bacary Sagna has the best tackles-to-game ratio than anyone else in the league, with 6.52. Not to mention that Robin van Persie is also the fourth-highest goalscorer in the league with five. Just needed mentioning.

Cesc Fabregas vs. Fulham - Assist #1

picture.php

Taken from a 3-0 home win against Fulham, Fabregas in this game is able to set-up two of the three goals that led to the seemingly comfortable victory. Pictured is him ahead of the midfield two (Wilshere, #19 and Sissoko #26) and linking with the centre of the midfield to receive passes from either the flanks or centrally. Dempsey has his eyes on Sissoko, whilst the only man looking at him and being the closest is Danny Murphy (#13)

The reason why I put a line behind the midfield is to show how the link-up play happens in the Arsenal midfield. You'd have Fabregas drop deep, the central midfield would come line, with one of them covering the other, and the wingers cutting onto the inside to then create a scoring chance, or pass to a fellow team-mate. The Arsenal back four are placed nicely in their own half, and ready to pick up on any mistakes by any one of the six in Fulham's half of the pitch.

picture.php

After being passed to, van Persie then passes it to Fabregas, in which he is then able to do what he does best. Dempsey and Dembele are the main Fulham players in which to close him down before he does what he does best, whilst a good five Arsenal players are available for a possible lofted through-ball. Van Persie's pass has already instigated a run through Fulham's midfield and defence, and the central midfielders, in Sissoko and Wilshere, get forward to be possible options for the Spaniard, too.

picture.php

Eventually, he puts in a splitting through pass into the path of young Jack Wilshere. Two Fulham defenders are already gone to close him down, whilst Schwarzer is off his line.

picture.php

Wilshere still progresses into the scoring opportunity, whilst trying to get the hounding Fulham defenders off of him ...

picture.php

First goal of the game, after nine minutes.

Cesc Fabregas vs. Fulham - Assist #2

picture.php

The ball is loose, and retention of possession is on the minds of both sides. Eight players are already targeting the ball to be back on their side, and a possible attack is on the cards. Fabregas, circled, is probably the closest player to the ball, whilst three other opposition players have their sights on it.

picture.php

Fabregas and Murphy are quickly in a scuffle to win ball possession, whilst the referee looks on.

picture.php

Fabregas wins the aggressive battle, and already has several options opening up for him, and with his vision and tactical knowledge, can open up the game with one single pass. Four players are put as options because of Fabregas' ability to make that splitting pass into their path.

picture.php

Sissoko is selected, and quick to notice that the ball is within his path. Fulham players stand off Fabregas, whilst Sissoko is now the hunted.

picture.php

Eventually unleashes a thunderous shot that bolts past Schwarzer and ripples the back of the net. Two-nil, and the game seemed in the Gunners' favour.

The double-pivot midfield

off topic: how do you create the double pivot midfield in fm?

Saw this in the article that was posted by Mike. through ZonalMarking, and thought I could answer his question and dabble on it as well.

Incase people don't know, a double-pivot midfield in football is when two or three central midfielders go from being parallel to each other (or horizontal) to one-ahead of another. It gives freedom, a variation in the game when needed and a new method in testing players in different situations. The likes of Liverpool, Chelsea and Barcelona have done so with their players, and even Arsenal, with Wilshere and Song.

picture.php

The picture showed above, shows a normal 4-4-2 formation, being turned into a double pivot midfield. One covers another, and adds a new flavour to the play - especially when the team is attacking, or dominating the match.

picture.php

Here are Jack Wilshere's instructions. He is the much more adventurous and attacking of the two central midfielders. With much more creativity, the ability to run from deep often (and with the ball) whilst also being able to roam into channels is not too dissimilar from Fabregas'. With that comes the interchange with Alex Song.

picture.php

Song's instructions are a lot more stationed than Wilshere's, as the more defensive of the central midfielders must cover him when he goes on the attack. A lack of creativity, mixed with a much shorter passing game, it's evident that he is supposed to sit deep, pass to the nearest option and get forward when needed, not whenever possible.

View attachment 134371

Statistics also show this. Here is a screenshot of a comparison between the two midfielders (by the way, Wilshere is on the left, Song on the right)

We know from these statistics that:

• Song has contributed a lot more to Arsenal's game than Wilshere, with a goal more than him, and two Man of the Match awards in comparison to Wilshere's none.
  • Song is a lot more aggressive than Wilshere, having fouled double the amount of times Wilshere has, with a much poorer tackles-to-game ratio than him.
  • Wilshere is a better passer of the ball in both parts of the pivot, with a 4% higher passage completion than Song.
  • Song is a lot more dangerous when taking shots, with a 23% higher shot on target ratio than Wilshere.
  • Wilshere has played better than Song in recent games, with a 7.8 average rating, in comparison to Song's 7.47.

Song and Wilshere in the double pivot

Taken from the team's 6-0 beating of Wolves at home, here is a demonstration of the double pivot in action. The interchange between the two happens every ten minutes or so through the ninety-minute match, with chances opening up every now and again.

picture.php

Throughout the course of the screenshots, all you need to really remember is that whoever is the left of the central midfielders is the more attacking, whilst the right of them is the more defensive. It'll show.

Now, with the game only eleven seconds old, you can see that, within those seconds, Wilshere is the quicker to pounce on the ball possessor, Nenad Milijas. He's gone to close him down, whilst Song stays further back, and covers him just incase he loses possession of the ball once retained, and can supply it to any one of the four defenders - if free.

picture.php

With Arsenal in possession, Sagna is the ball carrier. Wilshere is further ahead of Song, with him almost in-line with Fabregas. He's anticipating a possible lofted through pass into the exposed area, despite one of three Wolves midfielders marking him. Song is about to come deep and offer an option if needed, but also covering the length of the centre of the park, whilst Wilshere is upfront.

picture.php

Here again, we have the double pivot, but this time a little different. Koscielny's in possession, and Wilshere is offering a shorter option whilst Clichy is unavailable (off-screen) Song has taken it within himself to, not only cover Wilshere once again incase he is dispossessed, but also man-marking the central midfielder ahead. He could get into the space behind them and offer an option of the furthest player forward for them. Song would track back, get the ball back and gift it back to Arsenal, and it would be a repeat of the last screenshot, where he gets forward again.

picture.php

Here is where it has switched. Song and Wilshere have swapped duties, and now it's Song who has the ability to get forward and into the spaces behind the Wolves defence. Wilshere is further back, covering him and also has Fabregas back to pick up any passes, or intercept any passes from the Wolves opposition. Van Persie has the chance to pass or score once he has the ball, but also one of those passing options is in Song. He has three options in which to run into, and all three of them possess a danger. Wilshere has a little more to do though, as Sagna (#3) is looking to overlap Nasri, and put in a possible cross, should the ball go to him.

picture.php

Lastly, here is another screenshot of Wilshere in Song's shoes. Wilshere is the furthest of the Arsenal players to try and close down and intercept a pass that is intended for Karl Henry. This would then lead to Song getting forward and into space with Fabregas and van Persie, to then score and expose the usefulness of the double pivot midfield. A counter-attacking opportunity on the rise.

Wilshere and Song analysis, post Wolves game

picture.php

picture.php

Both had very good passing game against Wolves, and it showed statistically, with Wilshere having a better 85.3 passing game, as opposed to Song's 84.2. Marginal 1.1 difference. Despite Song's lesser passage overall, he was able to complete three more passes than Wilshere, in which also led to four more passes by the Cameroonian.

Song's game (first of the two pictured) was dealt much further up the pitch. More of his passes were in the opposition's area, and tried quicker passing with his team-mates. This worked, as the pace increased and Wolves were put under constant pressure.

Wilshere's however, was more spread out, with more of his passes reaching their destined targets and completing a few in similar positions in his own half. When on the attack, he was able to only have three incomplete passes from open play, which led to assisting twice in that game. It's clear that variation in play definitely helped both, and signifies that the modern use of the double pivot can come at a massive advantage to those who are able to.

Sagna and Clichy

Both have played very well in their respective fullback positions, and have also excelled in their own duties. Clichy was made to be a lot more conserved and picked his times in getting forward, whilst Sagna was the main defender to overlap the ahead winger, and put in the every-so-often cross. The statistics don't necessarily reflect their actual games, but their solo performances against Wigan were good ones to look at.

picture.php

picture.php

Again, passing games in which have been successful. Sagna's is the first of the two, whilst Clichy's is the second. Sagna's game, with obvious reason, has much more importance up the pitch, in supplying overlaps across the two interchanging wingers and having a lesser need to come back (even though he does that well) and Clichy seems the more conserved. Clichy came into the centre of the park at times to either take an indirect free-kick, or to clear dangerous attacks away, and it worked. The majority of his passes are including in throw-ins, but that should be ignored, and only really count open play. Some of them include long passes, but they failed to find their target.

picture.php

Pictured is Sagna's PI. Placed on Wing Back, Support, like most Arsenal fullbacks would be expected to do, he is wanted to overlap the play, and provide decent crossing into one of the three central midfielders or the striker. He is able to roam from his position, but hug the toucline, so that he doesn't drift off and become a fourth central midfielder, or second winger.

picture.php

Then, in comparison is Clichy's. His is on Wing Back, Automatic, which again, leaves him much more conserved and defensively weary. He too is able to run from deep, but only on occassions that permit him to. He's not able to roam from his position because he is needed to have at least three defenders back, and should he overlap, should cross from deep.

My performance with Arsenal

With the blabbering finished, I can now move on to the save that I did, testing out this theory of mine. So far, things have been sweet, and I am yet to lose (or draw) a real game. The 1-1 draw with Cardiff in pre-season was nothing more than a blip, and was avenged by a 10-0 drubbing of Barnet.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

So far with Arsenal in this save, I have:

• Averaged 54% of possession in all eleven games played.
  • Averaged 17 shots in all eleven games played.
  • Score 25 goals in the league and concede only three. A +22 goal difference.
  • Have Cesc Fabregas (in-game) tally nearly more assists than Cesc Fabregas (in real-life) in just eleven games.
  • Score 42 goals in all competitions and concede five. That's nearly four goals a game, and concede less than half every game.
  • Managed to have the second-strongest defence in the league, behind Liverpool who have only conceded two.
  • Score in every game I have played.
  • Seven of my players reach the top ten in the highest average ratings based, on performances, in the league. Vermaelen topping it with 8.13 in four appearances.

Fookin' ****!

I don't know about how I have done, but I am pretty sure this is probably one of most extensive articles since the 'modern Centre Forward - and that was the first one. I had this article in mind because I wanted to update the 'modern Tactics section, and do something about Arsenal. I abandoned the re-creation of their tactics in 2003-04, which led them to an unbeaten season, but rather did this because it's modern-day.

I have attached the tactic, with the training regime I am currently using for Jack Wilshere, and a possible further extension to this article is within the balance. Next should be something to do in the 'How-to' series, but please, feel free to suggest - it's not just for me to just blabber about tactics, it's for you guys as well. Even post your own, but follow the rules.

But, four hours in, it's been a pleasure.

Jack Wilshere's training regime

View attachment 134401

excellent excellent work. did you set them as fluid, or balanced?

excellent excellent work. did you set them as fluid, or balanced?

Fluid. Balanced would have made the play too bland and predictable, whereas fluid just keeps the game at a good tempo.

In fact, I'll upload some of the matches to show you.

glad its fluid will look to incorporate it into my 4-2-3-1

Fantastic read Nick, one question: was there any images or videos to that article? As my laptop hasn't recognised any if so.

glad its fluid will look to incorporate it into my 4-2-3-1

Nice, looking forward to it.

Fantastic read Nick, one question: was there any images or videos to that article? As my laptop hasn't recognised any if so.

Images, yes. There were screenshots of passing games, analysis, in-match screenshots etc. I don't know why people's browsers are not picking up on them. The screenshots are critical to the articles.

Videos, no however. I might upload videos, but I need to sort out my Youtube account first, because it won't let me stream or upload videos.

Images, yes. There were screenshots of passing games, analysis, in-match screenshots etc. I don't know why people's browsers are not picking up on them. The screenshots are critical to the articles.

Videos, no however. I might upload videos, but I need to sort out my Youtube account first, because it won't let me stream or upload videos.

Argh, ****. I saw one attachment but it was a broken link. I've only had a new laptop, but still got Chrome, and in previous pages I saw images fine. :S

Argh, ****. I saw one attachment but it was a broken link. I've only had a new laptop, but still got Chrome, and in previous pages I saw images fine. :S

:S

Try downloading other browsers? Switch around your settings?

You see, the things is, I don't want to have the images small, because if they are big, then you don't have to click on them and wait for them to load up, they are not miniature on first view and it looks better.

I am going to search for a solution to this and, if I find one, I'll post it on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.