An Angel's Approach to Managing the Devils: A Manchester United Guide FM13

• Thread starter Thread starter Raikan007
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 701
  • Views Views 289K
Thanks for the save too! Gonna take a look at it to get some inspiration for my second season's signings.

Playing my first save on fm13 as United and enjoying this thread. In Jan 13 and top of PL by 14 points and got Juventus in CL first knockout round so going ok so far.

Only problem is really finance. Sold a few players in this window and will sell more in summer and bring in bosmans and talented youngsters but paying nearly £10m per month in loan repayments is painful. I guess just will have to manage like Wenger till 2017 unless get taken over. Has anybody playing as United had a board takeover?

Playing my first save on fm13 as United and enjoying this thread. In Jan 13 and top of PL by 14 points and got Juventus in CL first knockout round so going ok so far.

Only problem is really finance. Sold a few players in this window and will sell more in summer and bring in bosmans and talented youngsters but paying nearly £10m per month in loan repayments is painful. I guess just will have to manage like Wenger till 2017 unless get taken over. Has anybody playing as United had a board takeover?

I have had a change of chairman, David Gill taking over, but not a complete takeover that I am aware of! There are still Glazers on the board

I have had a change of chairman, David Gill taking over, but not a complete takeover that I am aware of! There are still Glazers on the board

Did Gill clear debts and/or increase your transfer budget? Shame you didn't get rid of the Glazers. Can't believe there is 7 of them on the board - wonder what they are paying themselves .......

Did Gill clear debts and/or increase your transfer budget? Shame you didn't get rid of the Glazers. Can't believe there is 7 of them on the board - wonder what they are paying themselves .......

I was taken over in my 3rd season,and have no debts no glaxers and gill is gone too,so happy.

Transfer budget is stupid,but that brings pressure,when i lose a game the board go nuts at the end of every month.

Hey guys! This is my squad at the beginning of the second season. I've got 21M left for signings, I feel like I should get some replacements in the central midfield positions. Jadson and Garmash both want around 21M so I could only afford one of them. Or anyone else? Also Smalling is the only one on the right side of my defense...

View attachment 286881

Edit: also what I'm really not sure about is what tactic to use, I've got all three of Raikan's tactics for this year (Tm Winger, AMC, M&M) and so far I've played 3 friendlies and the TM Old fashioned Winger tactic seems to work the best. But I'm afraid it wouldn't work against teams that have good full backs. Is that true? The AMC tactic just won't work for me, but I have yet to play it for a whole match to see or dunno really... All I know is I have to take advantage of my awesome set of strikers which I can't really with the AMC tactic. This year I'm trying to retrain Rooney to CM DLP too...

Last edited:
Hey guys! This is my squad at the beginning of the second season. I've got 21M left for signings, I feel like I should get some replacements in the central midfield positions. Jadson and Garmash both want around 21M so I could only afford one of them. Or anyone else? Also Smalling is the only one on the right side of my defense...

View attachment 286881

Edit: also what I'm really not sure about is what tactic to use, I've got all three of Raikan's tactics for this year (Tm Winger, AMC, M&M) and so far I've played 3 friendlies and the TM Old fashioned Winger tactic seems to work the best. But I'm afraid it wouldn't work against teams that have good full backs. Is that true? The AMC tactic just won't work for me, but I have yet to play it for a whole match to see or dunno really... All I know is I have to take advantage of my awesome set of strikers which I can't really with the AMC tactic. This year I'm trying to retrain Rooney to CM DLP too...

Mate you have cleverley, carrick, isco and powell who can play in CM and if you're really struggling you could play phil jones as a ball winning midfielder in the CM position. Don't think you need cover there, if anything you probably need cover on the wings.

Cant believe you sold Rafael, one of most consistent performer on my team. Try signing up Wallace who's a right back he had a release clause of 4.4 million but he's probably signed a new contract so probably will have to spend a bit more. Or retrain Fabio as a right back. As for tactics it takes some time for the team to get used to it, you're only in pre season so don't worry too much. If i had your team i would play Welbeck alongside Falcao or Llorente, just my personal preference of having a more speedy player upfront.

After having won the double (FA Cup and Premier League), have just read a message that has made me very happy, as does the £163 million transfer budget because of it!

View attachment 287028

This is my team at the end of the first season...

Won the EPL, capital one cup and beat Barce in the champions league final 6-2! luckily for me Messi was banned but still a great performance.
I thought RVP would have been better...he got lots of assists but not as many goals as I thought.

This is my team at the end of the first season...

Won the EPL, capital one cup and beat Barce in the champions league final 6-2! luckily for me Messi was banned but still a great performance.
I thought RVP would have been better...he got lots of assists but not as many goals as I thought.

Surprise you're using evans with vidic? Jones has a much higher potential and is quality.
Should probably look to get a left back soon with Evra getting older and Buttner not great.

Congrats on your win tho!

Hey guys!

Just finished my second season. Won the PL and the Community Shield only, lost to Spurs in the Capital One Cup final, Real Madrid sent us home in the CL Qtr Finals and QPR did the same in the FA Cup (they were fantastic this year tho, not sure how, Cisse and Zamora finished 1st and 2nd most scorer in the PL). Season started fantastic, was on a winning streak for like 15 games then some injuries namely Isco broken foot and Valencia 4-5 months made us have some moral problems when we most needed good moral. That's how I lost to Spurs and Real in my opinion. Neymar's moral was a b*tch too, if I subbed him or he didn't play well we went fairly poor so I'll have to keep talking to him this 3rd season...

I feel like lame amongst you guys winning everything in the first year and I'm about to start my 3rd and only won 3 throphies (2Pl, 1CS) but oh well...

I'm gonna attach an SS of my current squad and I'd like you guys to help me who to sign. The board gave me 100M to spend this year. Cavani is on a transfer list, I really don't need strikers but I feel like I don't want any other team to get him. Also I need a tactic to suit my awesome set of strikers cause I really need to take advantage of that.

So I have Danilo and Smalling for the right side of the defense, got Vidic (stays for another year )/Jones/Evans and if needed also Smalling for the Centre Back position, and only got Fabio and Buttner on the left as coaches reported that Evra's past it so I'll have to spend some money on the left back position. I really want to sign first team players so that I'll have Fabio or Buttner as a sub. (I'll sell one of them for sure and I feel like Fabio was better).

In the midfield I feel like Carrick and Fletcher are still doing great but we definitely could have a better first team central midfielders (DLP and BWM).Clev and Powell did great against not that big teams but I think they aren't gonna become supermidfielders. Juventus won the CL this year and they have an awesome set of midfielders so I should probably bring one of those like Vidal :) Not sure.

Wingers... well Valencia was out half of the season and I think his stats are decreasing but as long as he played he was an assist machine so not sure, Nani is awesome both sides, he signed a new contract so he will definitely stay with Neymar too. So I'm really not sure about this position. Gonna post another picture of Valencia too so you guys can check if his stats are really decreasing or not. If not well I think Valencia, Nani and Neymar is good enough just hope they won't get injuries this year.

As for the strikers... I really feel like I have the best set in the world. If you think Cavani should be signed then I really need to try and make a 3 striker tactic to take advantage of them. A big mistake I made this second season is that I didn't use Llorente as much as I should have because I used a 1 striker + AMC tactic. That's why I feel like I should move on to a 3 striker tactic but I also have Isco and Kagawa for the AMC position doing awesome when their foot not broken... Has anybody used a 3 striker tactic this year yet?

Oh one other thing, I sold Lindegaard because he was a b*tch with me and caused moral problems in the team. De Gea was brilliant this year, only conceded 19 goals in the PL but I need a better GK as a sub than Ben Amos.

So yea that's it. I highlighted the positions where I think I could strengthen my squad or just need a first team player for.
I may be wrong so bear with me if I'm wrong somewhere :)

Thanks for your help in advance!

View attachment 287498View attachment 287499

Is that Falcao on the bench? Wow, mate you got to start him seriously. Goal machine is an understatement!!

Is that Falcao on the bench? Wow, mate you got to start him seriously. Goal machine is an understatement!!

Yup, it was just for the last match, that's why I said I basically ruined my whole 2nd season as I did not take advantage of all my strikers, like I could use falcao+llorente like a CF attack and TM attack or similar to that, instead I used only 1 strikers most of the time. I was pretty dumb was I hehe...

Hey guys!

Just finished my second season. Won the PL and the Community Shield only, lost to Spurs in the Capital One Cup final, Real Madrid sent us home in the CL Qtr Finals and QPR did the same in the FA Cup (they were fantastic this year tho, not sure how, Cisse and Zamora finished 1st and 2nd most scorer in the PL). Season started fantastic, was on a winning streak for like 15 games then some injuries namely Isco broken foot and Valencia 4-5 months made us have some moral problems when we most needed good moral. That's how I lost to Spurs and Real in my opinion. Neymar's moral was a b*tch too, if I subbed him or he didn't play well we went fairly poor so I'll have to keep talking to him this 3rd season...

I feel like lame amongst you guys winning everything in the first year and I'm about to start my 3rd and only won 3 throphies (2Pl, 1CS) but oh well...

I'm gonna attach an SS of my current squad and I'd like you guys to help me who to sign. The board gave me 100M to spend this year. Cavani is on a transfer list, I really don't need strikers but I feel like I don't want any other team to get him. Also I need a tactic to suit my awesome set of strikers cause I really need to take advantage of that.

So I have Danilo and Smalling for the right side of the defense, got Vidic (stays for another year )/Jones/Evans and if needed also Smalling for the Centre Back position, and only got Fabio and Buttner on the left as coaches reported that Evra's past it so I'll have to spend some money on the left back position. I really want to sign first team players so that I'll have Fabio or Buttner as a sub. (I'll sell one of them for sure and I feel like Fabio was better).

In the midfield I feel like Carrick and Fletcher are still doing great but we definitely could have a better first team central midfielders (DLP and BWM).Clev and Powell did great against not that big teams but I think they aren't gonna become supermidfielders. Juventus won the CL this year and they have an awesome set of midfielders so I should probably bring one of those like Vidal :) Not sure.

Wingers... well Valencia was out half of the season and I think his stats are decreasing but as long as he played he was an assist machine so not sure, Nani is awesome both sides, he signed a new contract so he will definitely stay with Neymar too. So I'm really not sure about this position. Gonna post another picture of Valencia too so you guys can check if his stats are really decreasing or not. If not well I think Valencia, Nani and Neymar is good enough just hope they won't get injuries this year.

As for the strikers... I really feel like I have the best set in the world. If you think Cavani should be signed then I really need to try and make a 3 striker tactic to take advantage of them. A big mistake I made this second season is that I didn't use Llorente as much as I should have because I used a 1 striker + AMC tactic. That's why I feel like I should move on to a 3 striker tactic but I also have Isco and Kagawa for the AMC position doing awesome when their foot not broken... Has anybody used a 3 striker tactic this year yet?

Oh one other thing, I sold Lindegaard because he was a b*tch with me and caused moral problems in the team. De Gea was brilliant this year, only conceded 19 goals in the PL but I need a better GK as a sub than Ben Amos.

So yea that's it. I highlighted the positions where I think I could strengthen my squad or just need a first team player for.
I may be wrong so bear with me if I'm wrong somewhere :)

Thanks for your help in advance!

View attachment 287498View attachment 287499

Aren't you getting any quality regens?
Had I been the manager, I would have preferred 4-2-4 (4 def, 2 MC, 2 attacking wingers, 2 SC)
You definitely need a MC, try Ilkay Gundogan. He has been great for me in my united save. I agree that Cleverley won't be a great midfielder but Powell can be a world class MC. His passing, off the ball runs, first touch stamina are simply superb n thats whats reqd of a midfielder.
I don't like Valencia is possessing. But you may still try him for a season. Go for Butland as the back up GK if don't wanna keep Amos.

TM & Old fashioned Winger tactic by Raikan007 - Downloads - Football Manager 2013 Tactics, Wonderkids & Cheats

use this tactic as one of your backups if not first choice!

buy Zouma/Hummels, some worldclass centreback for the forseeable future, buy Marcos Rojo for left back who can also cover for CB :)

you really need to strengthen your midfield and your LB!

check at Alex Sandro, maybe Gareth Bale? who can also cover as your AML

Tim Krul/Bernd Leno/Ter Stegen/Lloris/Koval/Courtois etc need to be looked at mate :) Amos is **** :P

Vidal/Wilshere/Garmash/Poli/Selnaes/ (brain is dead lol) Casemiro/Kara/Ganso

Thanks Raikan!

I'll use that tactic this season for sure along with the AMC one.

Hummels is at City already with Kroos too, last game was away from home and beat them 1-4 so not a biggie.

GK: Courtois looks great, but I loved Ter Stegen in FM12, Courtois is transfer listed for 16.5M, if I could get Ter Stegen for around the same price, who should I sign? Any real difference?

LB: Marcos Rojo looks great, if I recall correctly you have him on your save too, Bale's value is at like 22M so would cost a lot, not sure yet who to sign, will think about it. Bale would be the best so I can cover AML too but would probably cost around 40M I think, will see.

MC: Vidal would be an absolute beast signing but Juve just won the CL, his value is high already, probably wouldn't even want to sign for us unfortunately. Garmash looks great, could he become a first team choice already? Andrea Poli looks great too.

So do you think I should sign Cavani or not? I'd have Rooney, Falcao, Llorente, Cavani fighting for their position :D

Thanks Raikan!

Hummels is at City already with Kroos too, last game was away from home and beat them 1-4 so not a biggie.

GK: Courtois looks great, but I loved Ter Stegen in FM12, Courtois is transfer listed for 16.5M, if I could get Ter Stegen for around the same price, who should I sign? Any real difference?

LB: Marcos Rojo looks great, if I recall correctly you have him on your save too, Bale's value is at like 22M so would cost a lot, not sure yet who to sign, will think about it. Bale would be the best so I can cover AML too but would probably cost around 40M I think, will see.

MC: Vidal would be an absolute beast signing but Juve just won the CL, his value is high already, probably wouldn't even want to sign for us unfortunately. Garmash looks great, could he become a first team choice already? Andrea Poli looks great too.

So do you think I should sign Cavani or not? I'd have Rooney, Falcao, Llorente, Cavani fighting for their position :D

do a comparison mate :) see who has better stats where.. I would go for Courtoius as he is much better in the AIR and can be used when playing Stoke and other big/strong teams and De Gea is more your shot stopper

he is very good

Garmash would yes, not the best mid in the game but good and all rounded..

maybe Sandro?

retrain Rooney to midfield if you like? and get Cavani

Thanks Raikan!

Ter Stegen hands down

Bale is a definite no. Get David Alaba, and then to inidividual focus on his positioning.

Lots of players here, Moutinho, Sandro, Nainggolan

Dont sign Cavani. Rooney hasnt got the positioning or tackling to defend you deeper down the pitch.

Cleverley is also a lot better than people think.

Back