An Angel's Approach to Managing the Devils: A Manchester United Guide FM13

• Thread starter Thread starter Raikan007
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 701
  • Views Views 289K
Neymar became available in the last few days of the window, ended up signing him on deadline day for £60M. Valencia, as good as he's been, wasn't worth the wages his agent was demanding and with just a year left on his contract I decided to sell him. Plenty of offers came in all at his value of £18.25M, he ended up joining Dortmund. Nani had a bad injury in the second half of last season and has deteriorated a bit because of it, so I thought I'd bring in another RAM. Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain wanted first team football and after a couple of rounds of negotiation, Arsenal accepted a £17M offer and he's our new #7. Giggs retired in July and is now a part of the coaching staff, so I was able to give Neymar his favoured #11. Best deadline day I've had so far.

transfer listed nani, ended up doing a straight swap for mario gotze and dortmund accepted - deal of the century. Then i sold young to arsenal for 20M and bought in bale for 25. All in all, 5M for bale and gotze :)

I actually hate the both of you so much right now..... Been trying to sign the Ox for ages, but Arsenal won't accept my bids. Gotze was on the transfer list in the summer of my second year along with Neymar. Went for Neymar but would have loved to managed both. :( Swap deals never work out for me even when the other club is interested in my player :/

Just out of interest has anyone tried Gotze as a CM?

I know he is best on LAM, RAM or CAM but I play 4-4-2 and have good cover on the wings but may be in need of a creative CM and would love to get Gotze....

I managed to get the Ox in but I cannot afford to leave Valencia out the last two seasons he's been amazing avg 7.95 & 7.69. The ox does play well though when he plays, he just won the best young player in Europe award last season 15-16'.

I just brought in Kompany (To replace Vidic) and missed out on Aguero even tho I offered him more money than PSG just to stick two fingers up at city, they finished 9th last season haha.

Just finished season 2021/22 and won the treble again, Premier League League Cup and now back to back Champions Leagues.

I started a game with Man Utd and got both Adryan and Mattheus. Which one is the better Left IF and which should I use as CAM?

I was hoping that I could rotate (Adryan and Bale on the left wing), (Kagawa and Mattheus as CAM) and (Otavio - Valencia on right wing). Would that be a good idea?

I started a game with Man Utd and got both Adryan and Mattheus. Which one is the better Left IF and which should I use as CAM?

I was hoping that I could rotate (Adryan and Bale on the left wing), (Kagawa and Mattheus as CAM) and (Otavio - Valencia on right wing). Would that be a good idea?

No, Adryan is best as an AM (Advanced Playmaker - Support). Kagawa is a fantastic Left IF.

Just out of interest has anyone tried Gotze as a CM?

I know he is best on LAM, RAM or CAM but I play 4-4-2 and have good cover on the wings but may be in need of a creative CM and would love to get Gotze....
I've had Götze since the first season in my United save but never tried him as CM so far. But it really depends on how your formation and tactic is built up, especially how your wingers/wide midfielders and strikers work. Personally I prefer a more DLP type who can contribute more in all phases and has high work rate, team work, positioning and stamina along with the other important abilties and rather have one or both of the strikers be the more creative forces; dropping down deep to get the ball, swapping positions, roaming and pulling defenders out of line and opening space for the other striker and wingers.

So if you have a 4-4-2 where your wingers mostly contribute offensively and depending on your striker partnership you might notice that a lot of work when it comes to controlling the midfield is left to your more defensive CM since Götze is a more AM/IF type. Since I mostly play a 4-3-2-1, 4-2-4 and 4-3-3 DM - I pretty much only have DLP/BWM and generally all round good midfielders in my squad, so that I know they'll do all the dirty work required of them on the midfield. I currently have Darren Fletcher, Nick Powell (who has progressed incredibly well), Sandro, Alex Song, Tachtsidis, Tom Cleverley and I've also retrained Rooney to CM because of his crazy stats (I still use him as a striker as well though, depending on the tactic I'm using).

But yeah, if you want him, get him. You can change your 4-4-2 to a 4-4-1-1 and play Götze behind your striker which I think would work out awesome or get him as a winger (depending on who you currently have of course) since he's been amazing for me as winger/inside forward on both flanks - racking up both assist and goals.

Just started my first Manchester United game in FM13 and had a monster first transfer window. I managed to get Mario Gotze, Gareth Bale, Marouane Fellaini, Sandro, Steven Taylor, and two promising wonderkids (Maximilian Meyer from Schalke and Timo Werner from Stuttgart who were scouted at 5 and 4 stars respectively). Here's how:

I chose title winning expectations at the beginning. I then sold Ashley Young to Tottenham for 20 million pounds. I sold Danny Welbeck to Chelsea for 13.5 million. I also managed to get an increased wage budget and increased transfer revenue available from the board.

I bought Bale for 25 million. I got Gotze for 21 million with a clause giving Dortmund 50% of the next sale. I know I could sell Gotze quickly for a big profit in a year or two without this clause, but I intend to keep him for the long haul, so this clause doesn't hurt me very much and saved me like 5-10 million now. I got Fellaini for 10 million pounds plus Anderson. I did a direct swap of Sandro and Nani. I got Steven Taylor for 9.25 million. Meanwhile, I spent like 850k each in compensation for the two wonderkids.

I play a 4-2-4 with a box-to-box and a BWM as CMs. This transfer window gave me a young AMR and AML (Gotze and Bale), a young B2B (Fellaini) and a young BWM (Sandro). Vidic and Ferdinand are getting old, so Steven Taylor really gives me some needed depth for the coming years at CB (and is arguably better than Ferdinand even now). I felt a bit bad losing Welbeck, as it loses me some depth at striker. However, I did this knowing that I could use Fellaini as a striker in dire circumstances and he would probably be effective.

EDIT: I wanted to try out using Fellaini as a target man to see if it would work if it came to that. Also, rather unluckily, Bale AND Gotze got small injuries in the first match of the season, so were unavailable for the next match. I decided to put Rooney at AML, Van Persie at AMR with Fellaini and Hernandez up front (as a target man and poacher respectively). We won 5-0 at home against Arsenal, with all four of the aforementioned players getting a goal (Hernandez got 2). Fellaini played well and was able to get a goal off a deep cross from Sandro, so I am optimistic about being able to cope with striker injuries despite the loss of Welbeck. I can just throw Fellaini up front and use Fletcher as my box-to-box.

Last edited:
In my 1st transfer window I sold Ashley Young to Arsenal for 30m € and Nani to Tottenham for 35m € and I bought Bale for 29m
€ and Gotze for 32m € ;] I also exchanged Anderson for Fellaini + 5m €. The best transfer window ever :P

What tactics would one recommend for playing away in the champs league, Lille ran over the top of me last year..

Not sure if this has been posted already but how do you afford Bale's wages? For me he always wants much more than I can offer :(

That was pleasing, a nice 3-0 win against Southampton, Vidic playing out of this world at the min, and has 1 goal so far for the season, which is good considering I currently have Ferdinand, Evans, Smalling and Rapheal out injured.

Its great to see Bale and Fellaini getting on the scoresheet but even better that Manick Vermijl has stepped into the RB role perfectly and has 4 assists in 2 games. I dont think that Smalling is going to be going to RB for me he is going to try and fight it out for the CB role.

just won the league with united 105 pts.. won the fa cup and league cup but got unstuck by flipping barca in the champs league quater final.. i blamed it on my squad depth..

imo the key to success is when you can bring quality players off the bench to really affect the game, so i'll be buying more players in the summer..

oh yeah neymar is the best player in the world on my save.. the way he glides past 5 players is amazing.. 32 goals for me in the league.

When did you sell van Persie and Rooney? They make up 27% of my wages together. I'm trying to minimise my expenditures to pay loans faster. Might sell Rooney since Otavio look really up for Treq position, but van Persie is a **** good finisher. I don't think I'll ever have the courage to sell him.

- Already sold Hernandez & Welbeck.
- Henriquez looks like is going to be big but he's developing very slowly
- Have 2x 4.5 & 2x 5 star regens

When did you sell van Persie and Rooney? They make up 27% of my wages together. I'm trying to minimise my expenditures to pay loans faster. Might sell Rooney since Otavio look really up for Treq position, but van Persie is a **** good finisher. I don't think I'll ever have the courage to sell him.

- Already sold Hernandez & Welbeck.
- Henriquez looks like is going to be big but he's developing very slowly
- Have 2x 4.5 & 2x 5 star regens

Sold Van Persie at the end of my second season, sold him for 33 million or something to spurs? Also trying to sell of rooney in my fourth season his wage doesnt match his performance or ability atm. Got Neymar and Hernandez upfront alongside two regens. I'll post their progress tomorrow. They're quite good. Got Welbeck out on loan with a good loan contribution coming in every month.

Hernandez has scored at least 30 goals past three season, i think he's up to 28 in my fourth season and we're only in the begining of April. Shouldnt have sold him :P Henrique is out on loan for me as well. scoring goals. He's only kept out of my team cause of my regens :P

That is the best win I have had so far, 1-0 at the bridge. The best part..............................................................92% possession and them being limited to 2 shots off target.

I then followed it up with a 5-0 win at home to Olympiakos.

Back