Arsenal v Birmingham

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 189
  • Views Views 10K
Just got back from the game.
Happy (Content) with a 2-1 win, but we should have beaten them far more comfortably (no offence Brum fans) - Home game, and we had SO much possession..

Not at all happy with Birmingham (Foster's) approach to the game, firstly time wasting with about 20 minutes on the clock (moving the ball around his 6 yard box, having a timely drink of water, taking a minute to prepare himself :S) then running 30 yards to have a go at Chamakh* and deliberately delaying the penalty (Surely this too is a form of cheating? Putting off the player like that - which you're not allowed to do (I know he can move on his line, but can't do that.)/time wasting - which you're not allowed to do). Then running to the halfway line to moan to the referee about Nasri's challenge..

Then Roger Johnson feeling it necessary to lead with his elbow in an aerial battle with Chamakh - Martin Atkinson** though, of course saw nothing wrong :S.

Diaby was poor, as was Arshavin. God knows why Diaby didn't just shoot or play a ball through when he was on the edge of the box (about 2/3 times?) instead of passing it sideways or back..

Other than that, fair play to Brum for defending deep, and relying on counter attacking (which is obviously the best way to beat/get a result against us) their defence was solid, as was their midfield (even if Bowyer was a little lucky not to get booked earlier).

*Seen CJ's video, and BBC reporting..

He's already on his way down, but there is contact from whoever it was (Ridgewell?) who is late, it's a little like the Eduardo one against Celtic, and I won't condone it, I don't want our players cheating/diving. But as Mike said, at the end of the day - the referee makes decisions, and there's no point crying over spilt milk.

** From a completely unbiased view, thought Atkinson had a poor game - he almost lost control of the game at the end of the first half, when it was very bitty, and both sets of players were having a kick at each other with tensions high, just glad tempers didn't flare too much. From my view, I honestly couldn't see why Squillaci's goal was disallowed, I saw him with a free header (which often means a player has pushed/pulled/fouled/been offside) so could someone perhaps shed some light on that from the advantage of TV audience?

i only started watching the match after half time so i cant comment on squliaci's no-goal

He only saw it on a replay though!!!! Still think there a conspiracy theory to kill all arsenal players, what that a 3rd red card this year. Dirty Gunners.

Filthy right, one of the dirtiest teams at the start of Wengers regime. Now he has a fit if someone sneezes on one of his players. Unlucky Birmingham today.

i only started watching the match after half time so i cant comment on squliaci's no-goal

1518: Close. Arsenal defender Sebastien Squillaci rises to direct Samir Nasri's free-kick home powerfully with his header, but the 'goal' is ruled offside by the linesman. Very close. Moments later and Birmingham keeper Ben Foster gets out well to save at Andrey Arshavin's feet - it's all Arsenal at the Emirates.

Filthy right, one of the dirtiest teams at the start of Wengers regime. Now he has a fit if someone sneezes on one of his players. Unlucky Birmingham today.

I'm a) not going to condone Wilshere's challenge (I haven't even seen it) or b) defend Wenger's complaints or the fact we had a dirty team.. BUT

If you actually watch Arsenal games, like for example today against Birmingham, Carling Cup at WHL, every Wolves/Stoke match - you see (to an extent) why he gets unhappy - I know less technical sides need to play to their strengths, but as Madsheep and others have said before - Wenger doesn't mind this!, what he doesn't like is when there is no intention to play the ball.. or when challenges are so rough, they cause serious injuries (like has happened to Diaby, Eduardo, Ramsey and RVP to a certain extent) - As i say i haven't seen Wilshere's tackle, but I'll admit that he has come back pretty dirty this season and I think a lot of the challenges he makes are getting back at players who do worse to him (Tottenham being the prime example here) and also that he is inexperienced, and went in to what sounds like a very over-zealous challenge, and caught the player, there (I'm sure) was no intention, and it's not like Wenger tells him to do it.

---------- Post added at 06:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

He only saw it on a replay though!!!! Still think there a conspiracy theory to kill all arsenal players, what that a 3rd red card this year. Dirty Gunners.

Sorry? Trolling again? You'll never be happy with what he says will you? He admits it was bad, and it deserved a red card, and still you moan, you have Darren Fletcher for crying out loud.

Although, it does make me laugh a little that we've probably had the most red cards in the prem so far.. (Maintain that the first two were unjust)

Sorry? Trolling again? You'll never be happy with what he says will you? He admits it was bad, and it deserved a red card, and still you moan, you have Darren Fletcher for crying out loud.

Although, it does make me laugh a little that we've probably had the most red cards in the prem so far.. (Maintain that the first two were unjust)

We have Fletcher? You right about one thing. It was a dirty challenge and it makes me laugh, Arsenal fans ramble on about team wanting to take them out, Wilkshire needs protection( remember that thread?) yet in reality he is just as dirty as the players he needs protecting from. Arsenal have more red cards then most teams( not sure if it is most in league) but 3 in 8 games. and still your fans think you are the victims.

We have Fletcher? You right about one thing. It was a dirty challenge and it makes me laugh, Arsenal fans ramble on about team wanting to take them out, Wilkshire needs protection( remember that thread?) yet in reality he is just as dirty as the players he needs protecting from. Arsenal have more red cards then most teams( not sure if it is most in league) but 3 in 8 games. and still your fans think you are the victims.

Tbf, the first two shouldn't have been sending offs.

Aha, back to my thread on how Wilshere needs protection. Actually I never said I agreed with the article, and in fact I think it took it a little far, he needs to be protected from the media spotlight, not necessarily from rough challenges. On the other hand, being "kicked into Row Z" is hardly working in your favour considering you're telling me how dirty Arsenal are.

Aha, back to my thread on how Wilshere needs protection. Actually I never said I agreed with the article, and in fact I think it took it a little far, he needs to be protected from the media spotlight, not necessarily from rough challenges. On the other hand, being "kicked into Row Z" is hardly working in your favour considering you're telling me how dirty Arsenal are.

He needs a kicking no doubt, but he can hand one out. I just cant wait to the next time one of your players gets injured to a tackle like wilkshires and see your reponse. "there all out to get us"

He needs a kicking no doubt, but he can hand one out. I just cant wait to the next time one of your players gets injured to a tackle like wilkshires and see your reponse. "there all out to get us"

Uh, I haven't ever said teams are out to get us. I have simply said that some of the challenges that have injured our players, are because managers tell their players to get stuck in, not to go for the ball, alla Martin Taylor.

Nor did I, once condone Jack's tackle.

Uh, I haven't ever said teams are out to get us. I have simply said that some of the challenges that have injured our players, are because managers tell their players to get stuck in, not to go for the ball, alla Martin Taylor.

Nor did I, once condone Jack's tackle.

not everything i say is about you, i am generalising arsenal fans, i hear many stories from memeber on this site, about players intentionally injurying arsenal players.

not everything i say is about you, i am generalising arsenal fans, i hear many stories from memeber on this site, about players intentionally injurying arsenal players.

VM'd. Over.

Anyway, good result against tough opposition... :S

VM'd. Over.

Anyway, good result against tough opposition... :S

Very Good result, considering you where losing as well. even though i think we can safely say the equaliser will be debated for ever,

Very Good result, considering you where losing as well. even though i think we can safely say the equaliser will be debated for ever,

Yeah. I think there was contact, so not really a dive, as much as making the most of it (though I admit it looks like he was already going down)

It was a clear dive. I know I'm a Chelsea fan, but Drogba has stopped diving, and has not dived for a few years, but diving has no place in the game whatsoever. The FA, UEFA, FIFA, need to standardise another procedure for diving, and, really, I don't see why we can't have the extra officials behind the goals. Diving needs to stop, and Chamakh knows he dived, and that unforgivable action has caused Birmingham to lose a very tight game of football.

the red-card was definetly a red-card, clearly, he completely miss-timed the tackle

It was a clear dive. I know I'm a Chelsea fan, but Drogba has stopped diving, and has not dived for a few years, but diving has no place in the game whatsoever. The FA, UEFA, FIFA, need to standardise another procedure for diving, and, really, I don't see why we can't have the extra officials behind the goals. Diving needs to stop, and Chamakh knows he dived, and that unforgivable action has caused Birmingham to lose a very tight game of football.

the red-card was definetly a red-card, clearly, he completely miss-timed the tackle

So you probably should have lost/drawn how many matches?

Back