Associazione Calcio Milan Thread- ALL things red and black.

21 Years ago Van Basted said goodbye to all the Milan fans, had to retire due to his injuries.

Am I right in remembering that he is one of your all time faves Scouse?

21 Years ago Van Basted said goodbye to all the Milan fans, had to retire due to his injuries.

Am I right in remembering that he is one of your all time faves Scouse?

You most certainly are my friend. Favourite all time non-L'pool player and I'd make a STRONG argument for his case in the greatest ever European player stakes. Absolute travesty we were robbed of his ridiculous talent at 28, which in effect was 25 as the last 3 years were a complete write off. God knows just how many more goals he'd of scored and how many more medals he'd of won. Fascinating to hear Albertini say Marco was the most tactically astute of any player through his time at Milan. Which stuns me when you think of the likes of Baresi and Maldini. Christ knows what his value would be in today's market.

Well that was a crazy opening game. Milan looking a WHOLE host better than last year in Montella's 4-3-3 going forward. Then all but throwing it away in base stupidity at the death only to be bailed out by the 17 year old hero in nets. Bacca with a hat-trick and certainly the best all round game I've seen from him. Well supported by Niang and the surprising Suso who were both fantastic. Niang's early sitter miss aside. Interesting to see if Suso is finally coming of age as a player. Always had ridiculous technical ability. But always been too lightweight and too inconsistent to ever make anything of it. Plenty of chances created which was great to see after the sterile Inter man. Who incidentally is now the coach of Torino. Just like the opening day Arsenal-L'pool game which was never a close 4-3 game, this one was never a close 3-2. To all intents and purposes, like the opening day at the Emirates when the game was dead at 4-1, this was over when Bacca completed his hatty from the spot on 62 after a couple of great team goals and finishes from open play. Then step forward the increasingly woeful Romagnoli (just don't see it in him), and the ageing dope Paletta. Romagnoli caught out for pace and position on Torino's 2 goals, then Paletta, all be it harshly, done for an injury time peno with the kid saving his and Montella's bacon.

On the first day's evidence it's going to be fun to watch Milan again. But the self inflicted mistakes and lack of quality the back end could well be costly. Next week at Napoli could again well expose that.

Just make the Europa. Please. Can't go 4 straight years missing out on Europe.

Last edited:
I'd be shocked if he was sold, they paid a premium price for him with the intention that he spends the rest of his career with the club, and there's no way they'll be happy to sell him after just one season

What are your thoughts on Romagnoli?

Tricky one to answer. He had a **** poor first season. (And was equally as bad the opener this Sunday.).

But he is still just 21 and developing. And the ever changing back line, all to no real quality, around him at Milan hasn't helped. He's shown flashes that he will be a composed ball playing centre half. Very comfortable in possession and a good carrier/ passer of the ball out of defence. Big lack of pace. He'll be in the classical Italian mould you feel of being positionaly savvy to compensate.

Like Patrick said, I don't think there's any chance of Milan cashing in unless a stupid offer tipped up. And honestly, if I'm Chelsea, I wouldn't be looking at him. Not ready right now to consistently perform the PL as he grows. And the complete wrong type of centre back for a league where speed is a pre-requisite if you're wanting to build.

Last edited:
Tricky one to answer. He had a **** poor first season. (And was equally as bad the opener this Sunday.).

But he is still just 21 and developing. And the ever changing back line, all to no real quality, around him at Milan hasn't helped. He's shown flashes that he will be a composed ball playing centre half. Very comfortable in possession and a good carrier/ passer of the ball out of defence. Big lack of pace. He'll be in the classical Italian mould you feel of being positionaly savvy to compensate.

Like Patrick said, I don't think there's any chance of Milan cashing in unless a stupid offer tipped up. And honestly, if I'm Chelsea, I wouldn't be looking at him. Not ready right now to consistently perform the PL as he grows. And the complete wrong type of centre back for a league where speed is a pre-requisite if you're wanting to build.

Spot on mate!

Spot on mate!

Ta mate. Glad he asked. Personally think its far better to get an unbiased view of those that actually watch a player/ team regularly than read/ listen to some lame *** journo who doesn't and just regurgitates whatever the popular opinion is.

On the 3:40 back from Euston Saturday so provided I don't end up in town celebrating, haha, I should be home in time for the Napoli game which should be a good early indication of where this season's headed.

Last edited:
Ta mate. Glad he asked. Personally think its far better to get an unbiased view of those that actually watch a player/ team regularly than read/ listen to some lame *** journo who doesn't and just regurgitates whatever the popular opinion is.

On the 3:40 back from Euston Saturday so provided I don't end up in town celebrating, haha, I should be home in time for the Napoli game which should be a good early indication of where this season's headed.

****, I forgot that game was tonight, cheers haha.

I'm thinking maybe a 1-1 draw tonight, maybe a 2-1 loss.

Milan have done so little in this window it's frustrating

****, I forgot that game was tonight, cheers haha.

I'm thinking maybe a 1-1 draw tonight, maybe a 2-1 loss.

Milan have done so little in this window it's frustrating

Saturday evening mate. What I was saying. Down Tottenham but due back in 6:10 PM so should be good to see it.

Saturday evening mate. What I was saying. Down Tottenham but due back in 6:10 PM so should be good to see it.

Haha I'm glad you said cause I would have been looking for a stream come 7.45 tonight!

I was thinking of the Roma game I was going to watch, to which I've just realised was last night!

More red cards for them and a 2-0 loss

Yeah, WELL surprised at that. Never saw Porto doing that in Rome.

Hope the Porto fans were alright after.

Just sent a young player by the name of Mario Pasalic on loan to Milan. What are your thoughts fellas?

Just sent a young player by the name of Mario Pasalic on loan to Milan. What are your thoughts fellas?

Honestly never heard of him until yesterday. Hopefully he does well enough for Milan but not well enough for Chelsea to want to keep him as there's a first refusal sale clause in the loan apparently.

Young, attack minded midfielder. Seems to fit the mould of what Montella wants.

Hard to comment when you first hear of someone 24 hours ago haha.

Anyone see the Napoli game? Result was expected ike, just wondered how it all played out and if the comeback was genuinely encouraging before the sending off's?

Chelsea signed him two years ago, but he hasn't had a look in and chances are he'll be another loan-farm story. Spent a season on loan in Spain and last year was with Monaco but I don't think he was a regular

Back