Aston Villa v Man Utd

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 181
  • Views Views 9K
this is from scott: we are a maximum of 6 points off, when we are playing ****, We un defeated, Still in all comps. Are you? No. Our manager gets to keep the staff he wants, and you think we are in a massive crisis and bad place, **** me, imagine when we are in form

in all honestly, that is the biggest pile of **** I've ever heard. Yes, you're not in crisis, but all United fans know that your results lately haven't been that good, and, yes, you may be undefeated, but at the end of the season, those 2 points lost here are there could be what separates to 2 sides

I agree that United have a lot more to come, but in all honesty, I think Chelsea have had a bit of a slump in form recently :S. The Fulham win wasn't really convincing and the Liverpool result was apoorlling. However, this should be a fantastic season :)

again, from scott:

the point gained could be the reason we win the league, We always start slowly, and the fact we are this close, is a bonus, so we should be content
and if he wants to really go at it, get on a PC with MSN

Look the point is if we win tomorrow Utd will have to win 3games or win 2 and draw 1 and Chelsea lose 3 for them to go above us. Although its early days we would be in a excellent position if we get the 3 points tomorrow.

again, from scott:

the point gained could be the reason we win the league, We always start slowly, and the fact we are this close, is a bonus, so we should be content
and if he wants to really go at it, get on a PC with MSN

Once again, you don't start slowly, you're early season form was unbelivable, with goals going absolutely everywhere, and the season before it was pretty good, In fact, last season, you nearly have exactly the same position as we have this season. Anyway, I'm going to watch the Rugby and I'll have a look what's been said later :P

Once again, you don't start slowly, you're early season form was unbelivable, with goals going absolutely everywhere, and the season before it was pretty good, In fact, last season, you nearly have exactly the same position as we have this season. Anyway, I'm going to watch the Rugby and I'll have a look what's been said later :P
nick you talk a lot of nonsense. go to the united website, take a look at our results from opening games of each of the last ten season, and you will realise that we always start slowly

man utd have always started badly, but usually go on and reach their top form in the latter stages of the season

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

what man utd have you been watching?

United fans complaining about the referee - Can someone PLEASE explain how Nani was not sent off?!

United fans complaining about the referee - Can someone PLEASE explain how Nani was not sent off?!
forget nani, vidic should have been off. Or young not booked. The ref was woefully inconsistent

I love the way everyone's written off Arsenal :) Oh well, we're used to it :P

to be fair, carrick had a very good game last time out, one of the few players to do so, but as i keep saying he works best in a 3 man mid

I agree, but if he doesn't suit the system. why play him? He needs a lot of time on the ball to influence matches, something that rarely happens in the premiership. I just don't like him and never will really, he should be far stronger defensively given his physique

Look the point is if we win tomorrow Utd will have to win 3games or win 2 and draw 1 and Chelsea lose 3 for them to go above us. Although its early days we would be in a excellent position if we get the 3 points tomorrow.

Look the fact is, we played awful. we where 15 minutes away from getting a deserved 0 points, and managed to get a point, away from home to a very good side. I am happy with today tbh. Started the day hopng for a win, but as the game went on, was happy not to lose.

nick, Think before you type.

I agree, but if he doesn't suit the system. why play him? He needs a lot of time on the ball to influence matches, something that rarely happens in the premiership. I just don't like him and never will really, he should be far stronger defensively given his physique
i think it was down to lack of other options really, no scholes, no anderson. we should have gone 4-2-3-1 from the start

nick you talk a lot of nonsense. go to the united website, take a look at our results from opening games of each of the last ten season, and you will realise that we always start slowly

Ok, let's have a look shall we -

Last season
16 August 2009 Birmingham City H 1 – 0 Rooney 34' 75,062 9th
19 August 2009 Burnley A 0 – 1 20,872 10th
22 August 2009 Wigan Athletic A 5 – 0 Rooney (2) 56', 65', Berbatov 58', Owen 85', Nani 90+2' 18,164 3rd
29 August 2009 Arsenal H 2 – 1 Rooney 59' (pen.), Diaby 64' (o.g.) 75,095 3rd
12 September 2009 Tottenham Hotspur A 3 – 1 Giggs 25', Anderson 41', Rooney 78' 35,785 2nd
20 September 2009 Manchester City H 4 – 3 Rooney 2', Fletcher (2) 49', 80', Owen 90+6' 75,066 2nd
26 September 2009 Stoke City A 2 – 0 Berbatov 62', O'Shea 77' 27,500 1st
3 October 2009 Sunderland H 2 – 2 Berbatov 51', Ferdinand 90+4' (o.g.) 75,114 1st
17 October 2009 Bolton Wanderers H 2 – 1 Knight 5' (o.g.), Valencia 33' 75,103 1st

2007-08 Season
12 August 2007 Reading H 0 – 0 75,655 11th
15 August 2007 Portsmouth A 1 – 1 Scholes 51' 20,510 12th
19 August 2007 Manchester City A 0 – 1 44,955 17th
26 August 2007 Tottenham Hotspur H 1 – 0 Nani 68' 75,696 10th
1 September 2007 Sunderland H 1 – 0 Saha 71' 75,648 6th
15 September 2007 Everton A 1 – 0 Vidić 83' 39,364 1st
23 September 2007 Chelsea H 2 – 0 Tévez 45', Saha 89' (pen.) 75,633 2nd
29 September 2007 Birmingham City A 1 – 0 Ronaldo 52' 26,526 2nd
6 October 2007 Wigan Athletic H 4 – 0 Tévez 54', Ronaldo (2) 58', 76', Rooney 82' 75,300 1st

1st after 9 games

2006-07 Season

20 August 2006 Fulham H 5 – 1 Saha 8', Pearce 14' (o.g.), Rooney (2) 16', 64', Ronaldo 19' 75,115 1st
23 August 2006 Charlton Athletic A 3 – 0 Fletcher 49', Saha 80', Solskjær 90' 25,422 1st
26 August 2006 Watford A 2 – 1 Silvestre 12', Giggs 52' 19,453 1st
9 September 2006 Tottenham Hotspur H 1 – 0 Giggs 9' 75,453 1st
17 September 2006 Arsenal H 0 – 1 75,595 2nd
23 September 2006 Reading A 1 – 1 Ronaldo 73' 24,098 2nd
1 October 2006 Newcastle United H 2 – 0 Solskjær (2) 41', 49' 75,664 1st
14 October 2006 Wigan Athletic A 3 – 1 Vidić 62', Saha 66', Solskjær 90' 20,631 1st
22 October 2006 Liverpool H 2 – 0 Scholes 39', Ferdinand 66' 75,828 1st
28 October 2006 Bolton Wanderers A 4 – 0 Rooney (3) 10', 16', 89', Ronaldo 82' 27,229 1st

1st after 10 games

2003-04 Season
16 August 2003 Bolton Wanderers H 4 – 0 Giggs (2) 35', 74', Scholes 77', van Nistelrooy 87' 67,647 2nd
23 August 2003 Newcastle United A 2 – 1 van Nistelrooy 51', Scholes 59' 52,165 3rd
27 August 2003 Wolverhampton Wanderers H 1 – 0 O'Shea 10' 67,648 2nd
31 August 2003 Southampton A 0 – 1 32,066 2nd
13 September 2003 Charlton Athletic A 2 – 0 van Nistelrooy (2) 62', 82' 26,078 2nd
21 September 2003 Arsenal H 0 – 0 67,639 3rd
27 September 2003 Leicester City A 4 – 1 Keane 15', van Nistelrooy (3) 16', 45', 52' 32,044 3rd
4 October 2003 Birmingham City H 3 – 0 van Nistelrooy 36' (pen.), Scholes 57', Giggs 82' 67,633 2nd
18 October 2003 Leeds United A 1 – 0 Keane 81' 40,153 2nd
25 October 2003 Fulham H 1 – 3 Forlán 45' 67,727 3rd
1 November 2003 Portsmouth H 3 – 0 Forlán 37', Ronaldo 80', Keane 82' 67,639 3rd

3rd after 10 games.

In the other seasons between that period, you were between 4th and 6th. You don't always start slowly, just sometimes, and I think that I may have just proved a point there :)

What does emerge from those figures, though, is that Manchester United's performances in the opening half-dozen games of the season are weaker than might be expected. They may have collected 15 points from their first six games last year, but that is their best haul in the past decade, and in 2002-03 they collected only seven. Over the last 10 seasons, United have gathered only 13.8% of their total points in the first six games.

So when the fixture list is released, while it may be a slight disadvantage to play a promoted team early, what a side should really be looking for is an early game against Manchester United.

So we do start slowly,on contrast to what you said, we just good at staying in touch when we do

Once again, you don't start slowly, you're early season form was unbelivable, with goals going absolutely everywhere, and the season before it was pretty good, In fact, last season, you nearly have exactly the same position as we have this season. Anyway, I'm going to watch the Rugby and I'll have a look what's been said later

Last edited:
For Goodness Sake... I know it's not helpful to anyone to moan but this is getting just a tad bit annoying. We are in the title race, but all these draws are not going to help. And as for being unbeaten this season, I'd rather get knocked out of the carlin cup and Champions League and lose a couple of games while winning the premier league than coming 2nd or 3rd.

Our defence is no where near as good as it used to be, I can still remember when we conceded less than 30 goals in a season. That was one of our best defensively. The quality is there in (Rafael, Vidic, Ferdinand and Evra) as well as 40 YEAR OLD Van der Sar, but it isn't consistent due to illness and injuries which is beyond annoying now. Our midfield is alsways going to be criticised which is fair enough. We do not have anyone on the same level of creativity as Fabregas (Arsenal), Xavi/Iniesta (Barca), Ozil/Kaka (RMad), Pirlo (Milan) except maybe Scholes. But he is not in the kind of shape to play week in week out. Carrick does not function well in a 4 man/3 man midfield and prefers a 5 man one in which he can drift and have options as well as screen the back four. Fletcher has got all the qualities of a brilliant midfielder except Flair and Creativity. Anderson is just injured all the time and isn't at a good enough level to compete with the best in terms of creativity yet. Nani is inconsistent and dives about 5 times every game, Valencia is injured... AND OUR MIDFIELD IS NO LONGER FEARED BY PREMIER LEAGUE TEAMS. I think that is what gives Chelsea an edge over the rest of us. the fear factor, you go into the game knowing that this is a team that can hit 5 goals a game. They can fire 7 past Aston villa, 7 past Stoke, etc... When we lost Ronaldo and Tevez, we lost the fear factor.

(2010/2011)VDS, Rafael, Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra, Park, Fletcher, Scholes, Nani, Rooney, Berba

(2007/2008) VDS, Brown, Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra, Ronaldo, Hargreaves, Scholes, Giggs, Rooney, Tevez

Which team is more of a threat??? (Rhetorical Question)

What does emerge from those figures, though, is that Manchester United's performances in the opening half-dozen games of the season are weaker than might be expected. They may have collected 15 points from their first six games last year, but that is their best haul in the past decade, and in 2002-03 they collected only seven. Over the last 10 seasons, United have gathered only 13.8% of their total points in the first six games.

So when the fixture list is released, while it may be a slight disadvantage to play a promoted team early, what a side should really be looking for is an early game against Manchester United.

So we do start slowly,on contrast to what you said, we just good at staying in touch when we do

last season just was not a slow start, you didn't throw away any points, except to Burnley, which, to be fair can happen to anyone. The other 2 loses later on were to Liverpool and Chelsea, and then you didn't lose until 12 December. Also, in the period of the first 10 games (start of the season), you scored 21 goals. So actually, I don't really say how that can be a slow start :S

what i will say is at some point we are gonna have to start playing a lot better than this, we need to be in full swing by the end of the year.

Take nothing away from villa they were very very good today

what i will say is at some point we are gonna have to start playing a lot better than this, we need to be in full swing by the end of the year.

Take nothing away from villa they were very very good today

I agree with this, there's definitely an extra gear that needs to be found if you want to win this season

last season just was not a slow start, you didn't throw away any points, except to Burnley, which, to be fair can happen to anyone. The other 2 loses later on were to Liverpool and Chelsea, and then you didn't lose until 12 December. Also, in the period of the first 10 games (start of the season), you scored 21 goals. So actually, I don't really say how that can be a slow start :S
last year was our best start on a decade. we scored plenty this season but conceded plenty too hence the draws. bored of this now, going back to watch New zealand murder the scots

Nice, we have started slow for the last 20 years, bar the occassional blips, double winning year, we didnt win any of our first 3 games. This season we havent lost. We have 3 gears to find, that how good we really are.

Back