Attempting to replicate Dortmund's Gengenpressing

• Thread starter Thread starter manutd7182
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 229
  • Views Views 73K
Ok, thanks. I'll try it :)

I'm in pre-season with Benfica and having lots of trouble against teams like Catania (0-0), Celta(lost 2-1 at home), Parma (won 2-1), Crystal Palace (lost 3-0 at home) and Southampton (lost 3-1). Only played well against Benfica B and Varzim, winning 5-0 both. Very bad for a team who wants to win the Portuguese League...
Most of the games i have most the opportunities, most % possession, but i end it losing.
I'm playing FM/CM since CM 01/02 and it's the first time that something like this happens to me.

EDIT:
And in the Portuguese SuperCup, I beat 4-1 FC Porto, the current champions... FM Logic 8-|

See if making the changes I mentioned work. Also you can refer back to the first post and also Belhadj's post on the previous page as he made some interesting pointers. Hope it goes well for you :)

I decided to use this tactic on a Wolves save, that I plan on using longterm and well... wow. It's dominating.

nWMa7cE.png

The little things like exploit middle/stay wide helps a ton against the different formations.

I decided to use this tactic on a Wolves save, that I plan on using longterm and well... wow. It's dominating.

nWMa7cE.png

The little things like exploit middle/stay wide helps a ton against the different formations.

Nice to see it's going well for you man :) Though I can see that you've drawn quite a few games? Were they most 0-0/1-1 draws? But good to see you've only lost once with a Wolves team! Great stuff :) Keep it up man!

Yeah, they're mostly 0-0/1-1 draws. I'm trying to go young and long-term, so I have quite a few younger players still developing. Also had my best striker out for a few months.

Yeah, they're mostly 0-0/1-1 draws. I'm trying to go young and long-term, so I have quite a few younger players still developing. Also had my best striker out for a few months.

Do you start off with the Counter tactic or the Attacking tactic (assuming you have both)? Or when you're struggling for goals but dominating possession, have you tried increasing the tempo? That may have helped you if you didn't do that already. But like you said you have younger players, some younger players lack the mentality but that would obviously improve with experience.

Right now I'm trying fluid fluidity (it doesn't sound right ^^)) and it seems to help A LOT against those weaker teams, so maybe you guys should try it and the amount of 0-0/1-1 draws will be decreased! :D

Last edited:
Right now I'm trying fluid fluidity (it doesn't sound right ^^)) and it seems to help A LOT against those weaker teams, so maybe you guys should try it and the amount of 0-0/1-1 draws will be decreased! :D

Never thought about trying fluid as I thought it'd lose the shape of the formation. But if that is working for you then great stuff! :)

hi there
ive been using this tactic with my man utd team and even though its early days into my first season i havent lost after 4 league games. But i always appear to concede goals, and havent been able to keep a single clean sheet so far, and being somebody to pride them selves on keeping clean sheets has anybody tinkered with this tactic to keep things tighter at the back?

hi there
ive been using this tactic with my man utd team and even though its early days into my first season i havent lost after 4 league games. But i always appear to concede goals, and havent been able to keep a single clean sheet so far, and being somebody to pride them selves on keeping clean sheets has anybody tinkered with this tactic to keep things tighter at the back?

It's good to have fast CBs :D Also, when winning 2-3:0 I drop the d-line deeper so they don't concede any foolish goal in like 88th minute and I don't lose a clean sheet :)

Last edited:
trust a german team to be very rigid and organised, who knew? "ja, it is very efficient and organised, ja?" =p looks great!

hi there

Yes, I feel that fast defenders are crucial to this tactic. Well you can drop the defensive line but I feel the philosophy of this tactic is winning the ball high. But if that works for you then so be it. But important to have quick defenders and high concentration is also a must I feel.

It's good to have fast CBs :D Also, when winning 2-3:0 I drop the d-line deeper so they don't concede any foolish goal in like 88th minute and I don't lose a clean sheet :)

Agreed. As fast defenders can nullify pacey strikers and I guess dropping the defensive line may help if you want to preserve a narrow lead.

trust a german team to be very rigid and organised, who knew? "ja, it is very efficient and organised, ja?" =p looks great!

Hahaha well.. I did try to emulate this tactic after Dortmund. The German teams are famous for being rigid and organised.

Yes but what is classic mode? And how do I know what mode I am playing lol?

When you start a new save there are options saying Football Manager or Football Manager Classic, Football Manager being the full more detailed version and Classic is the more streamlined version. Depending which one you selected for your current save is the mode that you're currently on.

When you start a new save there are options saying Football Manager or Football Manager Classic, Football Manager being the full more detailed version and Classic is the more streamlined version. Depending which one you selected for your current save is the mode that you're currently on.

Oh, im with you thanks for that! how do i know what version i am playing? cant remeber what one i clicked?

Back