Attempting to replicate Dortmund's Gengenpressing

• Thread starter Thread starter manutd7182
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 229
  • Views Views 73K
I don't know if it was a coincidence but Insigne wasn't getting involved at all during the 1st half of my match, switched his role from support to attack and he scored 2 goals and made 1 assist in the 2nd half.

I'll give that a try with V2 and see how that goes. Cheers man.

I have to say in V2 my left winger is averaging 7.74, and I don't remember the last time he didn't atleast score or assist in a game. Also I just destroyed Bayern 4-1 and Lewandowski is finally getting good performances with this tactic. I'm really loving this.
One thing I've noticed is that your instruction not to close down central midfielders when against 4-2-3-1 is good, unless you're playing a team with a high quality playmaker in central midfield. I've played Newcastle and tried not to close down cabaye so that they'd focus on ben arfa, and cabaye ripped me apart, I was down 3-0 at 50 minutes. I've made the change to close down cabaye, and ended up drawing 3-3. Just a small detail.
Again, good work on the tactic, it's great

I have to say in V2 my left winger is averaging 7.74, and I don't remember the last time he didn't atleast score or assist in a game. Also I just destroyed Bayern 4-1 and Lewandowski is finally getting good performances with this tactic. I'm really loving this.
One thing I've noticed is that your instruction not to close down central midfielders when against 4-2-3-1 is good, unless you're playing a team with a high quality playmaker in central midfield. I've played Newcastle and tried not to close down cabaye so that they'd focus on ben arfa, and cabaye ripped me apart, I was down 3-0 at 50 minutes. I've made the change to close down cabaye, and ended up drawing 3-3. Just a small detail.

Did you make any changes to the V2, or did you leave it as it is?

Did you make any changes to the V2, or did you leave it as it is?

I've left it as is, it's mostly player selection and in-game changes that make a difference. my right winger is only performing when I play a left-footed player there. When I play my first choice right back (Hugo Mallo) he dominates the wing, less attacking talented right backs go missing. My DLP has high mental attributes, his backup is better technically but not as good mentally, and he performs much worse. This is true for most positions, Mental attributes are more important.
I've found that when I'm trailing, I go attacking, it's the only mentality that sometimes works. I always use the play wider-exploit flanks or the exploit flanks look for overlap. manutd7182 really covered most of it in his first post.

Good to see the original tactic is working for you. So far from all the tweaks I've made V2 has been working the best. Right now, I'm experimenting if the tactic quality can be the same if I change to attacking. Because from what I see, when we don't have the ball, the team can't counter. But what I am thinking is, how Dortmund actually play in real life is a more attacking mentality. They press high, win the ball and that swift passing from defence to attack make it seem like a counter attack. I'll post some results to see how that goes compared to the original V2.

I've left it as is, it's mostly player selection and in-game changes that make a difference. my right winger is only performing when I play a left-footed player there. When I play my first choice right back (Hugo Mallo) he dominates the wing, less attacking talented right backs go missing. My DLP has high mental attributes, his backup is better technically but not as good mentally, and he performs much worse. This is true for most positions, Mental attributes are more important.
I've found that when I'm trailing, I go attacking, it's the only mentality that sometimes works. I always use the play wider-exploit flanks or the exploit flanks look for overlap. manutd7182 really covered most of it in his first post.

Yeah, I often play Kagawa/Muniain/Welbeck. Maybe it's just Kagawa, but when I play him on the left, his rating is only a measly 6.6-7.0 rating. Welbeck and Muniain doesn't make much impact that often. They perform the occasional matches.

lost 0-5 to arsenal first game, plugged in and play, disaster..

Need to make sure this tactic is 75%-80% fluid at least man. Not every tactic is plug and play and do you have the correct players?

ALSO I'VE DECIDED TO SCRAP V3. YES FOR ME IT SHOWED SOME PROMISE BUT THE STRIKER POSITION DIDN'T PERFORM WELL COMPARED TO V2.

I generally find it easy to score using the V2 but I'm conceding a lot of goals from free kicks, mistakes in defense like defenders totally staring at the ball and letting the opponents take it and it's so frustrating :@

I generally find it easy to score using the V2 but I'm conceding a lot of goals from free kicks, mistakes in defense like defenders totally staring at the ball and letting the opponents take it and it's so frustrating :@

Been experimenting this tactic with an Attacking mentality and some tweaks to the player's instructions. Some results so far.

View attachment 440958View attachment 440957View attachment 440956
View attachment 440955View attachment 440954View attachment 440953
View attachment 440952View attachment 440951View attachment 440950
View attachment 440949View attachment 440948View attachment 440947
View attachment 440946View attachment 440945View attachment 440944
View attachment 440943View attachment 440942View attachment 440941
View attachment 440940View attachment 440939View attachment 440938

really good results, i cant seem to get that probably im using a weaker team thats why.

As long as you have players capable of those roles, press for 90 minutes, team work, basically the attributes I identified on my first post. Should be able to get this tactic working.

Update!!

Here is the tactic used with the attacking mentality. From what I've seen so far, compared to the Counter tactic of V2, in some matches, the opposition is more pinned back in their own half, even as far back as to the edge of their penalty area.

My latest match:

West Brom 1-7 Man Utd

View attachment 440800View attachment 440799View attachment 440798

The opposition scored because of a penalty. Other than that, it was pretty comfortable for us. And with the screenshots I have previously posted. It has shown that the tactic has potential. See if this updated tactic will work as well, or even better than the counter tactic.

Last edited:
I'm a bit angry/frustrated with FM14 and that's why I haven't try this.

This looks very impressive mate, well done. The attacking version is also needed I presume, especially for those difficult matches, where the opponent is trying to make our job more tough.
I've one question though. I've noticed that you've Gundogan. I presume that he's your DLP. Since he has 2 "conflict" PPM's (run with the ball and get furward whenever possible) how does he perform for you? I've never try to bought or play him as DLP due to this.

I'm a bit angry/frustrated with FM14 and that's why I haven't try this.

This looks very impressive mate, well done. The attacking version is also needed I presume, especially for those difficult matches, where the opponent is trying to make our job more tough.
I've one question though. I've noticed that you've Gundogan. I presume that he's your DLP. Since he has 2 "conflict" PPM's (run with the ball and get furward whenever possible) how does he perform for you? I've never try to bought or play him as DLP due to this.

Gundogan is doing alright, here is a screenshot of him so far this season.

View attachment 440797

To be fair, in terms of goals and assists, he hasn't been that impressive. I rotate all the time. But his passing rate is excellent. Since he's the DLP, I see him more of the guy that links the midfield and attack. But if I be honest, I would like a few more assists from him from deep positions.

do you just use the attacking version or you switch between the two? if so, what is the basis of switching between the attacking and counter version?

Update!!

Here is the tactic used with the attacking mentality. From what I've seen so far, compared to the Counter tactic of V2, in some matches, the opposition is more pinned back in their own half, even as far back as to the edge of their penalty area.

My latest match:

West Brom 1-7 Man Utd

View attachment 451477View attachment 451480View attachment 451483

The opposition scored because of a penalty. Other than that, it was pretty comfortable for us. And with the screenshots I have previously posted. It has shown that the tactic has potential. See if this updated tactic will work as well, or even better than the counter tactic.

do you just use the attacking version or you switch between the two? if so, what is the basis of switching between the attacking and counter version?

Start with counter if playing the better teams, if you're not seem to be scoring; either up the tempo or switch to attacking.
If playing the weaker teams, you can start off with attacking.

What game version suits this tactic? and could you recommend players on the IFs and IFa role?.

Nice tactic btw. Thank you.

Last edited:
You practically saved my season. I lost to chelsea 1-0 away from home and then in the return game I couldn't score in the first half, switched to the new attacking tactic and Fierro scored a hat trick in 15 mins.

Back