Barcelona's Sergio Busquets faces Uefa action over racist abuse claims

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. he uses racist remarks on the field of play, and gets away with it. If Rooney did it (hypothetically of course-he's not that moronic) guarantee he'd of got banned. But it's all ifs and buts. Well done UEFA-you had a chance to do something to show you actually cared about human beings and the game of football, but you ****** it up. Big congrats to yourselves

It's not even like they were just claims of it - there was video evidence.

Such a poor decision.

It's not even like they were just claims of it - there was video evidence.

Such a poor decision.

Looks like they're desperate to help Barcelona win the CL imo. Stinks to absolute high heaven

Looks like they're desperate to help Barcelona win the CL imo. Stinks to absolute high heaven

Maybe Mourinho's comments had some truth in them. Platini's way of sticking it to the English game all over again.

Maybe Mourinho's comments had some truth in them. Platini's way of sticking it to the English game all over again.

Without doubt. He's never hid his hatred of how strong the Premier League is. How nice for a League to be hated because of being so strong and having one of the most successful clubs in English football history. Can't remember a time when I'm going to be rooting for a rival club so much. I want Brit teams to do well, but now I want Fergie to give Platini the biggest footballing slap ever.

Forget United vs Barca, this is a pretty clear cut case of racism, yet UEFA screw the pooch. They will pick on smaller clubs like Rangers, yet god forbid they should punish Barca.

Sickening

Good job keeping your message true UEFA. Now no one's gonna give a **** about no racism.

Another example of UEFA FC being able to do what they want, when they want. I hope we stuff them!

Absolutely ridiculous. Forget sticking it to Madrid, or to England, UEFA - do your ******* job.

Evidently Mourinho's comments about Barca's relationship with UEFA have done him no favours at all. Why do UEFA respond by being idiotic and once again showing a clear bias towards Barca instead of clearing their name in the right and proper fashion - by actually looking at the evidence and charging him.

Uefa have dismissed allegations of racist abuse made against Sergio Busquets, paving the way for the Barcelona midfielder to play in next week's Champions League final against Manchester United.

The 22-year-old was accused of making racist remarks by Real Madrid during the controversial first leg of their Champions League semi-final last month.

Real published a video on their website ahead of the second leg, with a subtitle alleging Busquets had made a comment towards the wing-back Marcelo during Barça's 2-0 win at the Bernabéu.

Uefa announced last week they had opened disciplinary proceedings against Busquets, with the case being dealt with over the weekend.
And a short statement on Barça's official website today confirmed the midfielder has been cleared of any wrongdoing.

"Sergio Busquets will play in the Champions League final," said the statement. "Uefa has notified Barcelona they have dismissed the claims of Real Madrid."

The footage on Madrid's website was posted the day before the second leg, which finished in a 1-1 draw to send Pep Guardiola's side through to the final 3-1 on aggregate.

It showed Busquets appearing to direct a comment at Marcelo while covering his mouth with his hands, with Madrid alleging the player said "mono, mono" – Spanish for "monkey, monkey". Uefa dismissed the claims "due to a lack of strong and convincing evidence", they said in a statement.

The incident was one of several in an ill-tempered tie between the two sides, with both clubs lodging complaints to Uefa after the first leg.
Madrid were unhappy with the behaviour of the opposing players and the red card shown to Pepe, while Barça protested over José Mourinho's post-match comments alluding to favours from Uefa in big Champions League games and questioning the Catalan club's relationship with the European governing body.

The complaints were dismissed by Uefa, with Mourinho later handed a five-game European ban for his outbursts.

Barça will take on United in the final at Wembley on 28 May.

Sergio Busquets cleared to play in Champions League final | Football | guardian.co.uk

"Lack of strong and convincing evidence".. What more do you need? Him to come out and say I did it?

"Lack of strong and convincing evidence".. What more do you need? Him to come out and say I did it?

That wouldn't be enough. They need an Avram Grant style bi-plane to fly over UEFA HQ, flown by Busquets with the words: "Mono, mono" or "I'm guilty!"

I don't understand this, if a brainless, idiotic fan shouts racial abuse from the crowd, UEFA do everything in their power to find the person(s) who made them and will ban the from football games for life and in some cases get the police involved. In this case what did they actually do? They are basically calling Marcelo a liar. It's discusting from UEFA who it seems are trying their upmost hardest to help Barcelona anyway they can.

Not cool, UEFA. Showing why every football federation, national or international, is a ******* joke.

How good would it be if he gets sent off? I dislike him allot and that is growing day by day...

I think UEFA forgot this.

082_say-no-to-racism-vector.gif

I haven't seen Nani dive since the injury vs L'Pool maybe he's saving himself for final? So he can get some Barca players off? XD<)

I haven't seen Nani dive since the injury vs L'Pool maybe he's saving himself for final? So he can get some Barca players off? XD<)

I normally abhore any form of cheating in football.......but maybe if Busquets got the red card thanks to Nani...I wouldn't say a word. A smile of satisfaction would say it all to be honest.

I used to refuse to believe in Mourinho's claims that UEFA are more than willing to do Barcelona any favours, but after this incident I don't think I can do that anymore. I mean, there are video evidence and such but yet UEFA are trying to say that there isn't enough evidence? What do they need then? Busquets shouting those words into the camera loud and clear?

And I was brought to attention by a few other RM supporters that when Mourinho instructed his team to get intentional yellow cards to clear them, they were suspended for two more games, but when Barcelona did it no action were taken against them. Even when Villarreal did it they were fined €100,000, but Barcelona get away with absolutely nothing. Biased much?

And I was brought to attention by a few other RM supporters that when Mourinho instructed his team to get intentional yellow cards to clear them, they were suspended for two more games, but when Barcelona did it no action were taken against them. Even when Villarreal did it they were fined €100,000, but Barcelona get away with absolutely nothing. Biased much?

If that's in La Liga I seriously doubt it.

Ok firstly before I start I will say that I don't condone racism at all and IF Busquets said it he should have been banned.

[video=youtube;PY87wexZsqQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY87wexZsqQ[/video]

Video posted above.

Can anyone be 100% certain that he said Mono? I don't think they can. It is clear Busquets has said something and you could have a guess it was bad by the way he covers his mouth but it doesn't prove he was racist. Uefa would have to be 100% sure to charge him and the video doesn't give definitive answer. On a charge such as racism they have to be 100% sure that it is true and I believe the video doesn't give sufficient evidence. Asked a couple of people on the IRC room and they all agreed.

As I said I don't condone racism and I hate Busquets (should be banned for diving) but to charge him for racism a delicate issue then they have to be 100% sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.