Biggest premiership flop of all time

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 79730
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 128
  • Views Views 10K
Can't believe people are saying Aquilani who has just been signed from Italian football which is one of the slowest games in the world! He has started twice and isn't still fully fit, lol?
And it's gotta be Ali Dia hasn't it, seeing as he wasn't even a footballer?
Shevchenko was dreadful for £30 Million also. And I must say Josemi and Antonio Nunez lol :P

Scoring twice past man u is enough for me to like him.
Do Derby count?

yes, they probably do :'(

that season they signed Emmanuel Villa from Tecos, and the Tecos manager resigned when we signed him !
and he turned out to be ****

Forlan was awful for Man Utd but he and Aguero are immense together! :D

You do realise that even while he was at United, Forlan had a better strike ratio than van Nistelrooy, right?

His scoring record looks pretty bad if you go per game, but per minute Forlan hit the net a lot more regularly. He was pretty much cursed by almost always being used as a sub.

For me, the worst prem signing has to be Sheva. I saw plenty of him at Milan, and was never impressed by him. One of the laziest players I've ever seen, but that style works on the continent where strikers are expected to score goals and nothing else. In the prem you have to work a lot harder for your chances, a la Henry. When Shev first moved to Chelsea, I remember saying during a discussion with some mates at college how I expected him to fail due to his poor work ethic, and I was ridiculed for thinking it. Thanks, Andriy, for wasting no time in proving me right ;)

outside of the obvious, Robbie Keane was a flop at Inter, Leeds, Liverpool, but had a few good seasons at Spurs, and is now back flopping at Spurs. when you consider the amount in transfers he's cost over the years, he can be seen as a consistant flop. the same with Anelka and the majority of clubs he's played for.

Forlan - I would call him a flop, he was pretty good, just didnt get used to the league and largely used as a sub..
Berba - He doesnt score very often but he has very gd intelligence on the field. he's play can also open up defences..
Aquilani - 2 games and lacking match fitness.. judgement reserved. it's just too early to judge. i hope he becomes a flop though he was brilliant at roma. (i'm a man u fan)
Anelka - he was good when he played for Arsenal. he's now banging goals as well in Chelsea

i don't think those above flopped but i cant decide between Sheva, Veron and Reyes though..

N who is winston bogarde?

Massimo Taibi
----------
Selected Newcastle Flops.......
Hugo Viana to Newcastle - 8.5m
Albert Luque to Newcastle - 9.5m
Michael Owen to Newcastle - 16m
Duncan Ferguson to Newcastle - 7m
Stephane Guivarch to Newcastle - 6m
Jean Alain Boumsong to Newcastle - 8m
Total - 55m

I think you see where Im going here. People wonder how Newcastle are in the championship....add up how much Newcastle paid for those, and think who that would have bought....

I would say Robinho every day of the week. I watched him when he played for madrid and he just didnt excite me. He has the odd Brazilian trick but hey you walk to down the streets of rio and you would find one wee kid doing something similar. What a total wast of money. If your a paying that kind of money you expect a return. But what has he done? total waste.

I would say Robinho every day of the week. I watched him when he played for madrid and he just didnt excite me. He has the odd Brazilian trick but hey you walk to down the streets of rio and you would find one wee kid doing something similar. What a total wast of money. If your a paying that kind of money you expect a return. But what has he done? total waste.

Looks like he is going to do a Adriano. Go back to Brazil, and not want to rejoin City.

he was man citys top scorer last season.... :S

Mark Gonzalez what about this guy? suppose to be the guy who dribbles past players for fun. Well tbh it wouldnt be hard to be citys top goal scorer last season considering the **** they brought in, jo, Varleri Bonijov.

You do realise that even while he was at United, Forlan had a better strike ratio than van Nistelrooy, right?

His scoring record looks pretty bad if you go per game, but per minute Forlan hit the net a lot more regularly. He was pretty much cursed by almost always being used as a sub.

This may be the case but he was poor in England. 17 goals in 96 appearances is bad no matter how you swing it IMO. Fantastic in Spain and for Uruguay though.

Mark Gonzalez what about this guy?

Chilean international, appeared in last world cup, sold for what was paid for him, may not have been a success but "greatest premiership flop of all time"? That's setting the bar a bit high when you've got such luminaries as Francis Jeffers to consider...

edit: for me - Shevchenko. No idea what went on there. The player himself is one of the best players of the past 20 years. But Chelsea/Mourinho and him/his age/whatever just didn't mesh. Poor, poor signing. And if rumour would have it right, not one to lay at any manager's door.

Last edited:
t such luminaries as Francis Jeffers to consider...

jeffers has been okay in patches, he did okay at charlton. also not that much was spent on him in relation to people such as veron and shevchenko. i agree with you that overall jeffers has been a flop, but the biggest in the premiership of all time ?

anyway it looks like jeffers might be joining blackpool soon, so he may have one last chance to get his f****ng act together.

jeffers has been okay in patches, he did okay at charlton. also not that much was spent on him in relation to people such as veron and shevchenko. i agree with you that overall jeffers has been a flop, but the biggest in the premiership of all time ?

anyway it looks like jeffers might be joining blackpool soon, so he may have one last chance to get his f****ng act together.

Don't disagree mate, but then you weigh Francis Jeffers up against Mark Gonzalez and there's only one winner in the flop stakes.

Know some might have issues with him, but Tomkins (Liverpool supporter, yeah, yeah) has been trying to account for 'inflation' in transfer prices and has come up with the following list:
http://tomkinstimes.com/2010/02/tpi©-the-top-50-premier-league-deals/

And it's meant to be neutral - ffs, would anyone in their right minds go out and spend £26.5m if their scout said they'd found a 'new Heskey'? How about nearly £28m on a 'new Cisse'? £45m for the new Shearer sounds remarkably reasonable and £21m on a 'new Roy Keane' would be an absolute bargain. £23,3 million for a new Cristiano Ronaldo is cheap at the price.

Back