Blasphemy! Seven clubs lock horns for the title after sir Alex Ferguson's retirement!

• Thread starter Thread starter KevinHann
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 373K
View attachment 453272
View attachment 453271
Premier League 2013/14
Round 4

Gary Lineker: Good evening and welcome to Match of the Day for our thoughts on the fourth round of the Premier League season! I will be your host after each round of games and Alan Shearer and Alan Hansen will assist me as we provide fresh post-match analysis on the seven clubs we have highlighted this season.
Alan Hansen: We will also show you some interview specials with the managers right after the games, as well as occasional player profiles.
Alan Shearer: And finally, but not at last place, you will be updated with the latest news on injuries, dressing room events or even rumours surrounding your favourite clubs.
Gary Lineker: So are you ready? What really happened in the latest round of world's best league? Here we go...

Chelsea - Manchester United
0-2
View attachment 453270

Gary Lineker: Manchester United walked off Stamford Bridge with an unlikely win. The Red Devils grabbed a quick goal in the opening minute of the game when Fabio found himself unmarked in the box but right after the kick off Fellaini committed a weird tackle and got the red card. Despite this Chicharito managed to extend Manchester United's lead further midway in the first half. Chelsea never got themselves back in the game and couldn't even get consolation goal.
Alan Hansen: If anybody has had any doubts of the character in this group after sir Alex retired this is the time to hold up his hand and admit he's been dearly wrong. I have no idea how the Red Devils pulled that win as Chelsea got them on the back foot for the majority of the game. Still, Mourinho should have been a little bit bolder with his subs as he waited too long and didn't even introduce offensive players like Ba, De Bruyne and Ramires.
Alan Shearer: I think Chelsea struggled in defense as Azpilicueta was left out to dry on the left flank. Juan Mata and Fernando Torres were particularly disappointing. On the other hand Manchester United produced some exceptional individual performances - the entire defense was exemplary and of course Fabio got the PoM award.
Gary Lineker: Let's see what the managers had to say after the game!

Reporter: Over 90 minutes against ten men and you didn't even score - this is hardly what the fans want to see at home games, even against Manchester United!
Jose Mourinho: I don't mind it when we get beaten - we admit it and move on to the next game. But this is not what happened today. We were the better team and to not get a goal was disgrace. I have my comments but I will take them to the dressing room.
Reporter: Perhaps you should shield some of the fault for this performance as your subs are heavily criticized?
Jose Mourinho: I needed to change Cesar because he was so much out of the game. Would it have been better if I put in three offensive players and we lost 0-4?

Reporter: Congratulations, Mr. Moyes! Big win today!
David Moyes: It was a different kind of match and we had to show a different side of our play to get it but three points is three points and you won't see many teams get that from here. So yes, we have something to celebrate!
Reporter: It didn't seem very probable when Fellaini got a stupid red card when the game had barely began. He is now suspended and your injuries are mounting with Rooney suffering a broken arm. Fans are fearing performances might drop when fatigue kicks in?
David Moyes: We have a large group of players and I will try to manage that situation but yes, there are some positions that are really stretched at the moment. I am hoping some of these players return before too long and we don't pick up more injuries or it will be really tough.

Gary Lineker: I rarely see Mourinho criticize his own players, let alone pick anyone for individual harsh words!
Alan Hansen: But you can't argue they really let him down today and Azpilicueta was in a black hole down the right flank. What intrigues me is the injury crisis Moyes has at his hands - I seriously doubt this winning sequence will go on long now.
Alan Shearer: Sadly Wayne Rooney's injury is serious as he broke his arm and will miss the next month or so. He joins a large treatment room at Old Trafford with the likes of Amos, Vidic, Coentrao, Carrick, Fletcher, Nani, Zaha and van Persie all sidelined. Fellaini will also be suspended. Chelsea picked up no new injuries and only have Oscar sidelined.

Manchester City - Everton
2-0
View attachment 453264

Gary Lineker: The Citizens couldn't afford a slip up here and showed they mean business by goals in each half combined by a clean sheet. Lucas Leiva and Gael Clichy were the scorers. Everton didn't offer much in this game and failed to register a single shot on target.
Alan Hansen: I think Martinez got his team set up in a bad way for this game and it eased Manchester City. Everton's 4-5-1 saw them sit too deep and they were constantly forced to commit fouls in dangerous positions which piled up a lot of yellow cards. In the meantime the Toffees weren't able to get hold of the ball nor use it to produce counter attacks. Pellegrini pulled a flawless game here and could have even asked for a bigger margin in the scoreline.
Alan Shearer: The two goalscorers were the only City players to stand out. Everton's highly physical approach left the Citizens with a few bruises though and wingers Jesus Navas and Cristian Tello will both be out for a couple weeks with a twisted knee. This might be a worry for Pellegrini as David Silva is also sidelined and injuries are mounting on the wings.

Liverpool - Arsenal
0-0
View attachment 453263

Gary Lineker: This was a game Liverpool could not lose at any cost and Arsenal could have lived without winning it so it comes as a little surprise nobody managed to break the deadlock.
Alan Hansen: Liverpool tried a bit more than the Gunners but they were so cautious not to concede that they rarely afforded to push numbers in the opposition half. Dull draw and a fair result given what we saw on the pitch but is that enough for Liverpool?
Alan Shearer: The only Liverpool player to catch my eye was Jose Enrique. On the other side Sagna was pretty good and of course Monreal excelled to get the PoM award.

Reporter: That was a little better but you remain bottom of the league. Was this point so valuable you wouldn't risk losing it?
Brendan Rodgers: We are at a difficult place right now. The team is aching psychologically. It is not that the players aren't given license to attack, they just lack the confidence to do so efficiently. We still were the more dangerous team today and once we get the tough games out of the way we should rack up the points and climb the table.
Reporter: Aspas and Sturridge were terrible today. Your comment?
Brendan Rodgers: They did fine in terms of the tasks I had given them on the pitch.

Reporter: A lot of pundits expected you to pile further misery on Liverpool today. Are you happy with a goalless draw against the bottom team in the Premier League?
Arsene Wenger: Talk like that leads to complacency and Liverpool is one of the worst team to underestimate. We had a great solid performance in defense and before Ozil had to come out of it I thought we were going to get a winner at some point. But if you ask me would I take a point from this game I certainly would! Liverpool are much better than they are given credit for.
Reporter: Perhaps the long term injury to Giroud is what has prevented you from having a good shot at this game though? Sanogo was hardly a good option to lead the attack. He didn't even manage a single shot on or off target.
Arsene Wenger: We needed his presence up top to occupy Liverpool defenders and hold up the ball for those around him. I have no complaints about his effort as our strikers need to do a lot more than just shoot.

Gary Lineker: Yup, both of them are happy to settle with a point.
Alan Hansen: Both have cracks to cover as you can see. But Brendan Rodgers is certainly in some deep trouble and must improve results asap.
Alan Shearer: Ozil had to leave the pitch with a twisted knee and will mist the next fortnight. He is joining Fabianski, Arteta and Giroud in the treatment room. No fresh injuries for Liverpool who are still without long-term absentees Kelly, Gerrard and Coutinho. Suarez will be back after serving one more game suspension.

Norwich - Newcastle
1-2
View attachment 453257
Gary Lineker: The Magpies survived a tough away game to desperate Norwich and it was pretty close! Both teams had a number of chances but the goals came in the space of mad five minutes. Newcastle took the lead after the break with a Ben Arfa strike, the Canaries bounced back straight away after Tim Krul was unlucky to put the ball in his own net and then Cabaye was in the right position to hit a rebound home and ultimately win the game for his team.
Alan Hansen: Norwich failed to make their aerial dominance count in this one and Newcastle have to thank Steven Taylor for winning all the important headers in the box. The Magpies exploited the flanks nicely and that's how they got their goals.
Alan Shearer: I don't think anybody other than the goalscorers impressed for Newcastle in this game. It was team effort rather than individual quality for them. In terms of injuries Yoan Gouffran was subbed with a knock but Hristov made a good call to take him off quickly and he was passed fit after the game.

Tottenham - Hull
2-1
View attachment 453249
Gary Lineker: Spurs made life hard for themselves here by allowing Hull back in the game after they took the lead through a Rosenior own goal. Aluko equalized before the break and I think Tottenham were lucky to get the winner just after half time as other than that Lamela shot they didn't create much.
Alan Hansen: It was a wasteful game as both teams managed just two shots on target each. Too many fouls, too little quality and Adebayor on the pitch for an entire half - not my game to watch!
Alan Shearer: I feel Erik Lamela was on fire though. Not only did he score the winner and pick up the PoM award, but he constantly made great runs down the flank. Nobody else impressed me and I got to say Vlad Chiriches was actually pretty poor in the heart of defense. It was a rude game indeed and Spurs should be happy they walked out of it unscathed. Soldado is returning to full fitness after this match and their only long term absentee is Griezmann.

That is all from this edition of Match of the Day! Watch out for the newspaper columns of our regular pundits to find out their take of the games!

Loved your work last year. The depth your story goes into is ridiculous. In a good way! haha

Great to see you back.

Premier League evolved while Mourinho was away, says Ray Wilkins
-
By Ray Wilkins | Last Updated: September 16, 2013 11:54pm

View attachment 452872
Mourinho: wondering what went wrong against Red Devils
Mourinho conquered England a few years ago but it's a different jungle now, says Ray Wilkins.

I've been hearing a lot about how much Mourinho has changed over the past few years. His time in Italy refined his tactical touch, they say, and consistent pressure in Spain made him reconsider his own arrogant behaviour. All in all, he should be much, much better manager now. While all this may be true, I have another question. Didn't the Premier League evolve during all this time?

View attachment 452858
Chelsea fail to produce

It did. And whatever Jose gained in Italy and Spain, he is now in England and needs to do some catching up. His main asset was ability to grind out results when it was needed. But he had to endure a switch in roles this weekend as Chelsea attacked and Manchester United scored the goals. At Stamford Bridge, against 10 men for over 90 minutes of football, facing an injury ravaged team who also lost their star striker over the course of the match... and the Blues couldn't even score let alone take something from that game.

View attachment 452856
Adapting required

When this happens it massively underlines the manager needs to reevaluate his approach and take some tweaks here and there. Failure to do so will mean the game has evolved beyond the capacity of Mourinho to ride the tide and there is nothing worse for a top manager than lagging behind. It's too early to pronounce such a heavy verdict but it's never too soon to point cracks that need to be covered before they sink the ship.​

Desire to play attacking football reaps rewards as Newcastle remain unbeaten

September , 2013

By Kevin Keegan

I didn't want to rush to conclusions after Newcastle made a positive start this season. It has been a common feat to produce one-off big results for our club and then nosedive in the easiest of fixtures right after. Lack of consistency has been the major downside for many years. Not only on the pitch but on the decisions made, on the constant uncertainty of what direction the club is taking. The first month of the current campaign has passed and I can safely point after a summer of many events there is a hint the Magpies are improving in that area.

View attachment 452847
Attacking football appeals to fans and players

What I mean is there is obvious philosophy of how the game should be played and it matches the ambitions and desire of the fans. The first game of the season could have put off a less determined manager as we conceded four goals at home and the players were obviously uncomfortable with the innovative formation. But Hristov remained firm on his vision and is gradually establishing a very intriguing project.

View attachment 452846
Channel the emotions of this crowd - not so easy

Some will say it is no less than what should be expected with the heavy investment but look how much other clubs spent on the market and how far ahead of us they were before that? It's not that easy to catch up and it's even harder in the North East where the added pressure to channel the massive emotions of the fans in a positive force has seen many fail. I don't know if Newcastle will maintain the impressive results in weeks to come but on that very point Hristov has been doing a fine job so far. I'm tuning in for the ride and so should you!

Simon Pegg @simonpegg what a tool @ Marseilles can yo-----i------ue 1m

#ChampionsLeague #CFC - BATE 1-0
Willian (72), Ramires sent off (55); Borovskyi sent off (71)

Expand

Liam Gallagher @liamgallagher what a tool @ Marseilles can you--iiiiiiiiiiiiiii 1m

#ChampionsLeague #mcfc - AC Milan 3-1
Milner (17), Dzeko (50), Aguero (61); Matri (82)
LGx

Expand

Hugh Laurie @hughlaurie what a tool @ Marseilles can yo-----i-------ue 1m

Champions League
Arsenal - Leverkusen 1-1
Cazorla (32); Kiessling (4)

Expand

Last edited:

Usain St. Leo Bolt @usainbolt what a tool @ Marseilles can youiiiilievmmme 1m

#ChampionsLeague
#mufc - Molde 5-0
Hernandez (11), Welbeck (19), Young (pen 36), Fellaini (40, 55)

Expand

Phil Collins @PhilCollinsFeed what a tool @ Marseilles can -u-----------e 1m

#EuropaLeague
#THFC - Austria Wien 4-0
Adebayor (47), Holtby (61), Lennon (78), Paulinho (90)

Expand

Last edited:
View attachment 452603

Premier League predictions: Lawro v Leonardo DiCaprio

BBC Sport's football expert Mark Lawrenson is pitting his wits against a different guest each week this season.

This week he takes on Hollywood superstar actor, producer and Liverpool fan Leonardo DiCaprio who has been nominated for three Academy Awards and nine Golden Globe Awards. DiCaprio won the Golden Globe Award for Best Actor for his performance in The Aviator.

View attachment 452602
Lawro vs Liverpool fan Leo

A correct result is worth ONE point. A correct score earns THREE points.

Chelsea - West Brom
Leonardo DiCaprio: Slippery game for Chelsea who already showed they don't feel very comfortable when they need to attack. 1-1.
Mark Lawrenson: Home game and a determined Chelsea team looking to bounce back from a bad defeat against Manchester United - I doubt the Baggies will be able to salvage anything from this one. 2-0.

Newcastle - Arsenal
Leonardo DiCaprio: Even contest on the cards here and I don't think any of these will get the edge. 2-2.
Mark Lawrenson: Newcastle will have their confidence sky-high walking into this game although their reckless defending will be easily exposed and punished by Arsenal who are pretty efficient when given so much space in the final third. 1-3.

Liverpool - West Ham
Leonardo DiCaprio: Comfortable game to get back to winning ways - nothing else will be acceptable here for Liverpool! 4-0.
Mark Lawrenson: The Hammers aren't an easy nut to crack but Liverpool should have enough in the tank to finally record a first league win this season. 2-0.

Manchester City - Sunderland
Leonardo DiCaprio: This should be easy for City. 3-0.
Mark Lawrenson: I don't know which Citizens side will appear at this game as they are so inconsistent in these first few weeks. I will go for an upset here. 1-2.

Norwich - Manchester United
Leonardo DiCaprio: I hear there are lots of injuries in Manchester United so this may affect them in a hard away game against a side who must go for points. 2-2.
Mark Lawrenson: The Red Devils do have an injury crisis on their hands but they have also showed remarkable resilience when it comes to getting the result and that's what matters. It won't be a walk in the park but I don't expect them to drop points now. 1-2.

Tottenham - Fulham
Leonardo DiCaprio: Spurs should win this game at home - 3-1.
Mark Lawrenson: London derbies are hard to predict and Fulham have been a pleasant surprise so far and may be hard to break down. 2-2.

Last week, Lawro got three results right, with no perfect scores. His score of 3 was not good enough to match the predictions of Manchester United fan Usain Bolt, who managed four correct results with one perfect score.

Total scores after Week Four
Lawro: 9
Guests: 18

View attachment 452601
Premier League
Round 5

Saturday 21st September 2013:

Title Contenders Clash
View attachment 452600
Newcastle - Arsenal

24' 1-0 Cisse
35' Ben Arfa (N) booked
40' 1-1 Ramsey
45' 2-1 Cisse

Half Time

50' 2-2 Cazorla
80' Taylor (N) booked
82' 3-2 Cisse
90+2' Flamini (A) booked

Full Time

Final score

Newcastle - Arsenal 3-2
View attachment 452599View attachment 452598View attachment 452597

Manchester City - Sunderland 1-1
Aguero (86); Gardner (3)

View attachment 452596View attachment 452595

Liverpool - West Ham 1-1
Diame (36);
Walters (40), Reid sent off (64)

View attachment 452594View attachment 452593

Chelsea - West Brom 2-0
Hazard (10), Lampard (pen 58)
View attachment 452591View attachment 452590

Norwich - Manchester United 1-2
Evans o.g. (85); Young (29), Smalling (38)
View attachment 452589View attachment 452588

Sunday 22nd September 2013:

Tottenham - Fulham 1-1
Defoe (49); Taarabt (63)
View attachment 452587View attachment 452586

League Table:

View attachment 452585

Stay with Match of the Day for pundit analysis, manager interview specials and many more!

View attachment 452584
View attachment 452583
Premier League 2013/14
Round 5

Gary Lineker: Good evening and welcome to Match of the Day for our thoughts on the fifth round of the Premier League season! I will be your host after each round of games and Alan Shearer and Alan Hansen will assist me as we provide fresh post-match analysis on the seven clubs we have highlighted this season.
Alan Hansen: We will also show you some interview specials with the managers right after the games, as well as occasional player profiles.
Alan Shearer: And finally, but not at last place, you will be updated with the latest news on injuries, dressing room events or even rumours surrounding your favourite clubs.
Gary Lineker: So are you ready? What really happened in the latest round of world's best league? Here we go...

Newcastle - Arsenal
View attachment 452574
Gary Lineker: It was a truly entertaining contender derby at Saint James' Park. Cisse put the Magpies ahead but Ramsey equalized with half time looming. Arsenal were unable to get in the dressing room on equal terms though as Cisse got his second for the game just before the whistle. Whatever Wenger said during the break seemed to work as Cazorla again put the visitors on equal terms shortly after play was resumed. Cisse was unstoppable though and grabbed the winner late in the game to seal his hattrick and three vital points for Newcastle.
Alan Hansen: I feel the Gunners were visibly harmed by the lack of an experienced forward to hold up play and allow the attacking midfielders behind him to take advantage of the space Newcastle provided. It was a very open game with a lot of chances although the Magpies clearly dominated and deserved the win.
Alan Shearer: The goalscorers all performed well and Cisse excelled to get the PoM award. Debuchy impressed for Newcastle and Podolski enjoyed a decent game for Arsenal.

Reporter: Your team seem to up your game for derby games. You must be over the moon with how your players handle the top clubs?
Dimiter Hristov: They don't need any extra motivation and there is no secret to this. The lads just want to show their best when playing the best and I merely give them the freedom to express themselves on the pitch.
Reporter: Papiss Cisse was arguably the best player on the pitch and single handedly put the Arsenal defense to sword... He must be undroppable now?
Dimiter Hristov: Cisse was always the number one striker in this team. The others will now know they need to put in a lot of effort on the training ground to compete with him and that can only be good!

Reporter: You must be disappointed with this loss after you came back twice and were so close to a hard earned point?
Arsene Wenger: We showed a lot of character and fought at a hard ground to visit. The crowd got involved near the end and that probably gave a little bit extra energy to Newcastle to get the winner.
Reporter: Newcastle played some good football though and had a number of chances. It is unusual to see your side forced to defend so deeply.
Arsene Wenger: You have to give credit to the home side for that. They were on top of their game and we couldn't handle them the way I would have liked. I have no grudge as today we were the second best team on the pitch and deserved nothing from the game.

Gary Lineker: I agree with Wenger here, Arsenal can have no complaints with the result.
Alan Hansen: If anything they could have even lost by a bigger margin here!
Alan Shearer: There are no fresh injuries or suspensions after this game so let's move on.

Manchester City - Sunderland
1-1
View attachment 452565
Gary Lineker: The Citizens were looking to establish some much needed consistency and this home game was a good opportunity to do so. Their plans were thrown in the trash bin just three minutes in the game though as Craig Gardner took advantage of a defensive error to put the visitors ahead. Manchester City were only able to achieve a late equalizer to get a single point from a home game which should have been won.
Alan Hansen: I feel the early goal disrupted City greatly and while they got firm control of the midfield with that tidy fluid passing of theirs, they never discovered that killing final pass. Additionally when they did, their shooting was atrocious. Sunderland contributed by turning the game in a real physical battle and both teams committed a large number of fouls.
Alan Shearer: The only Manchester City players to get a decent game were Kolarov and Nasri but their contribution was not enough to win this game. There were no fresh injuries or suspensions here so let's move on.

Liverpool - West Ham
1-1
View attachment 452558
Gary Lineker: The only acceptable result for Liverpool here was a win and everything seemed okay when Diame opened the score in the first half but some poor defending allowed the Hammers to get an equalizer before half time as Walters got in the right position to finish a good counter attack. Liverpool failed to capitalize on their chances despite their visitors being reduced to ten men when Reid was dismissed with over twenty minutes to go.
Alan Hansen: Something is really messed up at Liverpool. The team created enough to win the game but the strikers failed to convert any of these chances. The way I look at it we look mediocre without Suarez.
Alan Shearer: Diame was the only Liverpool player to have a good game. On the other hand Sturridge and Aspas were very disappointing. Hernanes had to walk off with an injury after just ten minutes but it's nothing serious and he should be fine for the next game.

Chelsea - West Brom
2-0
View attachment 452556
Gary Lineker: Routine display from the Blues here. Eden Hazard scored an early goal to establish control over the game and Frank Lampard finished it off with a calmly taken penalty kick in the second.
Alan Hansen: Chelsea were very dominant and perhaps should have scored more goals. In the same time their defense was tight and never really allowed WBA to create a real chance.
Alan Shearer: Ashley Cole was able to make a lot of forward runs and assisted for one of the goals which was enough to get him the PoM award. Gary Cahill was exceptional in defense and Willian was a little disappointing because he failed with a lot of excellent chances to score. There were no injuries for Chelsea in this game so let's move on.

Norwich - Manchester United
1-2
View attachment 452555
Gary Lineker: There weren't many strikers available for Manchester United here because of injuries but the Red Devils showed other areas can step up and provide goals when needed. Ashley Young got the opener and Smalling contributed another in what was a very good first half for the visitors. Norwich didn't create anything special but were gifted a good chance back in the game when Evans conceded an own goal with a few minutes left to play. They didn't take it and it was three more points for Manchester United.
Alan Hansen: The initial expectations were this would be a hard game for the Red Devils but that was way off the mark. Manchester United were in firm control during the entire game and didn't allow a late charge even when they conceded a poor own goal with five minutes to go. Excellent game for the title contenders here!
Alan Shearer: Ashley Young was amazing and got the PoM award. Tom Cleverley ran the show in midfield, provided an assist and was Manchester United's second best player in that game. Sadly he picked up an injury and will be out for a couple of weeks with a twisted knee. Fabio also took a knock and will be doubtful for the next game.

Tottenham - Fulham
1-1
View attachment 452524
Gary Lineker: This was a close affair and both teams left the show for the second half. Defoe put Tottenham ahead just after the break but Fulham turned their game up and grabbed a deserved equalizer on the hour mark, Taarabt the goalscorer. Spurs were perhaps a little more lively until the end but couldn't score a winner.
Alan Hansen: Fulham maintained their tag of a pleasant surprise this season and enjoyed a very good game at a hostile stadium. Tottenham had a large number of shots but the majority of those were from distance and didn't really threaten that much. Good London derby and a fair result.
Alan Shearer: Paulinho impressed me with his influential role in midfield - everything went through him and he was extremely efficient with a number of tackles he produced. PoM goes his way! Kaboul picked up a groin strain and will miss two or three weeks, while Vertonghen pulled his hamstring and will be out for the same period so Spurs have some defensive issues to address in the immediate future.

That is all from this edition of Match of the Day! Watch out for the newspaper columns of our regular pundits to find out their take of the games!

View attachment 424170
Fullback out instead of in for Red Devils
View attachment 452513
Last Updated: 22nd September 2013

INJURIES and fatigue threaten Red Devils before key games with City and Newcastle.

The focus on champions Manchester United right now is on the excellent run the club has managed so far and the amazing character this required. While this cannot be argued with the squad is picking up an alarming number of injuries which worryingly coincides with key games coming up. David Moyes will be without the services of way too many of his players for the Capital One cup clash with Manchester City and the home game with Newcastle immediately after.

View attachment 452506
Manchester derby bad time to play the young guns

As a matter of fact the injury crisis is so serious that the only recognized strikers available for these derbies will be Welbeck and Hernandez. Moyes has already hinted some of the youngsters may be given a chance and while he tried to advertise this as a compliment for the academy it was just a poor attempt to disguise the real problem. Who would believe any of these two games are a good pick to give the youngsters a run?

View attachment 452504
Injury crisis must be resolved

This suggests there might be a more serious underlying issue which must be identified and resolved as soon as possible. If this goes on Manchester United risk not only to drop the energy levels in important games
because of fatigue but also to pile up additional injuries. And this will inevitably affect results no matter how high morale in the dressing room may be at the moment.

Lee Dixon: City problems get worse as inconsistency crawls in home games
View attachment 452502
LEE DIXON Sunday 22 September 2013
I already had a piece on how important it is for Manuel Pellegrini to realize the small clubs can harm you in this league. That was directed on early points dropped by City against promoted teams. We are approaching the end of September now and the issue doesn't seem to have been addressed at all. Furthermore, home results have been suffering as well and this is where we have been a real force. What was frustrating has now become scaring.

View attachment 452494
David Silva injury massive hit

It hurts even more to observe rivals Manchester United go on a winning streak like that with so many key players on the sidelines. The Citizens are without influential David Silva and while his absence leaves a great void the club spent more than enough to be able to cover for any loss in any area. Sadly that doesn't seem so at the minute. The new players obviously need some time to settle and adapt to the Premier League but time is a rare commodity at clubs as big as Manchester City.

View attachment 452493
Decisive duel midweek

Manuel Pellegrini will now need a very strong performance against Manchester United in the midweek Capital One cup clash. Anything but a comprehensive victory against injury depleted Red Devils will turn a poor start to the season into a full blown crisis threatening even the new manager's position at the club.

English Title Contenders Cup Watch

View attachment 452476

Third Round

Tuesday 24th September 2013

Newcastle - Arsenal 4-2
Cisse (12, 62), Donovan (27), Yanga-Mbiwa (51); Mertesacker (8), Wilshere (42)
View attachment 452473View attachment 452472View attachment 452471

Coventry - Chelsea 0-2
Lobjoit sent off (68); Ba (11), Torres (18)
View attachment 452470View attachment 452469

Liverpool - Yeovil 4-1
Suarez (23), Diame (44), Aspas (63, pen 90); Hayter (50)
View attachment 452468View attachment 452467

Wednesday 25th September 2013

Manchester City - Manchester United 2-1
Toure (45+2), Milner (70); Hernandez (pen 85)
View attachment 452465View attachment 452464View attachment 452463

West Brom - Tottenham 0-0
West Brom win 6-5 on penalties
View attachment 452462View attachment 452461

View attachment 452445

Premier League predictions: Lawro v Simon Pegg

BBC Sport's football expert Mark Lawrenson is pitting his wits against a different guest each week this season.

This week he takes on English actor, comedian, writer, film producer, director and Chelsea fan Simon Pegg. He is best known for having co-written and starred in the Edgar Wright features Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, and The World's End, and the comedy series Spaced.

View attachment 452444
Lawro vs Chelsea fan Simon

A correct result is worth ONE point. A correct score earns THREE points.

Arsenal - Chelsea
Simon Pegg: This could go either way, I can only say I don't expect many goals here. 1-1.
Mark Lawrenson: Arsenal seem to be suffering without Giroud and were outplayed twice by Newcastle in the space of a few days. I think Chelsea are better than the Magpies and nothing good awaits the Gunners here. 1-3.

Fulham - Manchester City
Simon Pegg: Easy win for the Citizens. 1-3.
Mark Lawrenson: City are in trouble now and must get points and quickly. On the other hand Fulham are enjoying a great start and will have confidence. This could easily be another upset. 1-1.

Manchester United - Newcastle
Simon Pegg: The Red Devils are in great form in the league and Newcastle concede too many goals. 3-2.
Mark Lawrenson: I still doubt Man Utd will have enough fresh firepower for this game despite news van Persie might make the bench. The Magpies create plenty so there should be goals galore here. 2-3.

West Brom - Liverpool
Simon Pegg: Liverpool will find it hard to get back on track at this particular ground. 1-1.
Mark Lawrenson: The Reds appeared much better in the midweek cup game. Suarez was vital and allowed the other offensive players to improve their game feeding off his passes and the space he opens. I expect Liverpool to be much, much better now. 1-3.

Everton - Tottenham
Simon Pegg: Both sides are decent and should cancel each other out. 2-2.
Mark Lawrenson: I feel Spurs have a lot more quality and will be able to utilize it in this game. 1-2.

Last week, Lawro got three results right, with two perfect scores. His score of 7 completely blew out of the water the predictions of Liverpool fan Leonardo DiCaprio, who managed no correct results with no perfect scores.

Total scores after Week Five
Lawro: 16
Guests: 18

Back