Blasphemy! Seven clubs lock horns for the title after sir Alex Ferguson's retirement!

• Thread starter Thread starter KevinHann
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 373K

Sting @OfficialSting what a tool @ Marseilles can you beiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilieve 1m

Didn't see that one coming - #nufc about to announce another signing!

Expand

Injured and turned down work permit - Hristov still signs him!!!

View attachment 454409
Rob Lee
Published at 8:09PM, August 27 2013

Newcastle just cannot stay on the right side of press coverage. After achieving impressive wins over Chelsea and Liverpool, the club must have decided so much good is no good and rushed into confusing pundits and fans further. Manager Dimiter Hristov completely ignored the dire financial situation he drove the club to as Newcastle announced yet another signing - goalkeeper Jeronimo Rulli (21) has signed from Estudiantes in a 3.7 million pounds deal, 1.4 million straight cash and the rest due over 48 months. Rulli has no international appearances as of yet and only managed his first team breakthrough last season by getting 13 games.

View attachment 454411
Magpies go Jeronimo

Hristov already tried to sign the goalkeeper once earlier in the transfer window but lack of international recognition lead to his work permit appeal being turned down. Amazingly instead of focusing his attention elsewhere, the manager tasked new Director of Football Damien Comolli to establish a feeder club connection with Belgian side Westerlo so that the work permit issue could be avoided. And the signing was pushed through. The more amazing fact is Hristov also ignored advice of the medical crew as Rulli is currently recovering from double hernia and will be out for between three and five weeks before he can even resume training!

View attachment 454413
Is he that good? Rulli vs Krul

It is little comfort the Argentinean has been signed as a backup choice following the departure of Rob Elliot. Hristov was as usual in a hurry to neglect those complications:

Reporter: You went through a lot of trouble to secure this transfer. Wasn't it more rational to look at other targets or even delay this transfer considering Rulli will not be eligible for the next several years until he qualifies for EU citizenship?
Dimiter Hristov: We examined alternative options but those players weren't as good as Rulli and would have cost more. This transfer allows us to give young Alnwick a chance to establish himself at the club while Rulli also gets first team football and settles to life in Europe. It's a win-win scenario.
Reporter: Aren't you testing the owner's patience given the financial mess at the club?
Dimiter Hristov: We are still within the budget approved by the owner after the board sanctioned investment from the shareholders to cover for Joe Kinnear's mistake. This is our final signing on the summer market and I am comfortable with the team we now have. We can now fully focus on the league.

That will bring a massive sigh of relief from the Saint James' Park financial department. We will keep monitoring how Hristov's signings contribute to the team over the next articles as his transfer policy is largely debatable. On another note there are some positive news from the squad - Loic Remy and Papiss Cisse are back to training after shaking off injuries and should be available for selection for the Capital One Cup tie away to Sheffield Wednesday tomorrow. It is most likely Hristov will choose to preserve them for the league games but we may have a chance of seeing them on the bench.

Jeronimo Rulli transfer verdict: 3.5/10 - weird choice as the goalkeeper will be unable to provide competition for the current fold over the next several seasons - which makes it hard to justify the timing of this deal.

This transfer officially depletes the transfer budget and Hristov lived up to his promise it would be reinvested straight in the squad, albeit he did so in such a controversial and potentially damaging manner!

Newcastle transfer budget: 0.0m pounds (9.36m initial)

English Title Contenders Cup Watch

View attachment 454378

Third Round Draw

Coventry - Chelsea
West Brom - Tottenham
Manchester City - Manchester United
Newcastle - Arsenal
Liverpool
- Yeovil

View attachment 454377

Mark Lawrenson European Super Cup preview

30 August 2013

bayern-munchen-logo.png
View attachment 454376
chelsea.png

Champions League holders FC Bayern and Europa League holders Chelsea meet in an epic edition of the war for domination between English and German football. Who will prevail?

Team news:
FC Bayern - Claudio Pizarro out (double hernia), Mario Mandzukic out (twisted ankle), Manuel Neuer doubtful (lower back stress fracture)
Chelsea - Oscar out (damaged knee cap), Ramires out (twisted ankle), John Terry doubtful (broken collarbone)

Odds (Sky Bet) FC Bayern: 5-4 Draw: 11-5 Chelsea: 7-4

Weather report:
Wet, 10C

We will be with you after a quick commercial break from Eden, Prague!

View attachment 454369

Mark Lawrenson European Super Cup watch

30 August 2013

bayern-munchen-logo.png
View attachment 454374
chelsea.png

28' Goal!! 1-0 Thomas Muller
45+3' Half Time
70' Goal!! 2-0 Xherdan Shaqiri
73' Luiz (Chelsea) Yellow Card
81' Ribery (FC Bayern) Yellow Card
88' Goal!! 2-1 John Obi Mikel

90+3' Full Time

FINAL SCORE:
FC Bayern 2-1 Chelsea

Chelsea gave it a good try in the final minutes after Obi Mikel put them back in contention but truth is they were second fiddle to a much classier German side tonight. FC Bayern dominated the game from start to end and limited the Blues to just three shots on target. Let's take a look at match stats and individual performances:
View attachment 454372View attachment 454371View attachment 454370

View attachment 454373
European Super Cup 2013/14 - holders FC Bayern!

View attachment 454356

Premier League predictions: Lawro v Phil Collins

BBC Sport's football expert Mark Lawrenson is pitting his wits against a different guest each week this season.

This week he takes on Tottenham fan Phil Collins, English musician, singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, actor and writer, best known both as drummer and vocalist for English rock group Genesis and as a solo artist.

View attachment 454360
Lawro vs Spurs fan Phil

A correct result is worth ONE point. A correct score earns THREE points.

Hull - Manchester City
Phil Collins: I am surprised to see Man City struggle in the Premier League - but Hull aren't impressive either and I can't see how they will take anything from that game. 0-3.
Mark Lawrenson: The Citizens will be desperate to kick start their season although after watching two promoted teams handle them, Hull will enter the game with confidence. I feel City's worries aren't over yet. 1-1.

Arsenal - Southampton
Phil Collins: The Saints must not be underestimated in this fixture and I'm not saying it because I support Spurs. It will be a close affair. 2-2.
Mark Lawrenson: Arsenal are a force to be reckoned with at home and I don't think Southampton can stop them here. 2-0.

Cardiff - Tottenham
Phil Collins: As much as I wish to back the boys for a win here, I have to be realistic and admit we are still blending as a team and away games will be a problem. I have my fingers crossed for a lucky win but will go for a draw and hope I'm proven wrong. 1-1.
Mark Lawrenson: Spurs are on the back of a convincing display and it might be ticking together for them. 0-1.

Manchester United - Liverpool
Phil Collins: That could go either way. Liverpool are on a pretty low point though and with the game played at Old Trafford experience and home advantage will be too much for the visitors to handle. 2-1.
Mark Lawrenson: I think both managers will prefer not to lose this game with Moyes trying a bit more for the win. Rodgers will be cautious and I expect him to make sure Liverpool are tight at the back so I can see these two canceling each other. 1-1.

Note: Newcastle - Chelsea game already played

Last week, Lawro got two results right, with one perfect score. His score of 4 was a perfect match for the predictions of Manchester City fan Liam Gallagher, who also managed two correct results, including one perfect score.

Total scores after Week Two
Lawro: 4
Guests: 10

View attachment 454325
Premier League
Round 3

Saturday 31st August 2013:

Arsenal - Southampton 3-1
Giroud (39), Ozil (73), Podolski (90+3); Benayoun (26)

View attachment 454324View attachment 454323

Hull - Manchester City 1-2
Graham (pen 41); Aguero (29, 70)
View attachment 454322View attachment 454321

Sunday 1st September 2013:

Cardiff - Tottenham 0-2
Soldado (20), Lennon (41), Dembele sent off (45)
View attachment 454318View attachment 454317

Friendly:
San Antonio Scorpions - Newcastle 0-10
Depay (3, 24), Ben Arfa (8), Cisse (9, 45+1, 86), Cabaye (19), Zouma (53), Debuchy (60), Donovan (67)
View attachment 454300View attachment 454299

Monday 2nd September 2013:

Title Contenders Clash
View attachment 454306

29' Diame (L) booked
Half Time

69' Gerrard (L) booked
80' 1-0 van Persie
87' 2-0 Kagawa
Full Time

Final score

Manchester United - Liverpool 2-1
View attachment 454305View attachment 454304View attachment 454303

League Table:

View attachment 454302

Stay with Match of the Day for pundit analysis, manager interview specials and many more!

Last edited:
View attachment 454280
View attachment 454279
Premier League 2013/14
Round 3

Gary Lineker: Good evening and welcome to Match of the Day for our thoughts on the third round of the Premier League season! I will be your host after each round of games and Alan Shearer and Alan Hansen will assist me as we provide fresh post-match analysis on the seven clubs we have highlighted this season.
Alan Hansen: We will also show you some interview specials with the managers right after the games, as well as occasional player profiles.
Alan Shearer: And finally, but not at last place, you will be updated with the latest news on injuries, dressing room events or even rumours surrounding your favourite clubs.
Gary Lineker: So are you ready? What really happened in the latest round of world's best league? Here we go...

Arsenal- Southampton
3-1
View attachment 454278

Gary Lineker: Arsenal answered fears of inconsistency by going full force down on the Saints after the visiting team took the lead with a Benayoun goal. Giroud equalized before half time and Ozil finally got himself on the scoresheet for the Gunners after the break. Podolski finished Southampton off in the final seconds of the game with a third goal.
Alan Hansen: I think the Saints have themselves to blame for this score as they were irresponsibly brave with the formation they fielded. No deep lying midfielder often left their defenders exposed and outnumbered and the Gunners took full advantage of that. The visitor's cause wasn't helped by Wanyama's relatively early booking that forced him to tame his game.
Alan Shearer: Let's focus on Arsenal players though. The stand-out figures were Cazorla who assisted for two of the goals and PoM Jack Wilshere who covered most ground for the Gunners and attempted the amazing 102 passes (95 of which were successful). There weren't any injuries or suspensions after this game so let's move on.

Hull - Manchester City
1-2
View attachment 454277

Gary Lineker: This was a crucial game for Manchester City after their unexpectedly poor start of the season. Lucky for them their hosts Hull weren't exactly on fire either before the game. Even then if could have been more misery upon the oil-rich club when Danny Graham converted a penalty just before half time to cancel out Aguero's opener for the Citizens. The Tigers were unable to hold the Argentinean though as he got another goal after the break and sank any hopes the promoted team had of walking with something from this game.
Alan Hansen: We have been talking about how much Pellegrini counts on Aguero and this time it paid back. The wings also worked to a decent extent as both wide men provided an assist for the striker. It is troubling City can't get their other guns firing but for the time being what mattered most was to get this first win under the belt and job was done.
Alan Shearer: Aguero was the unrivaled PoM and Nasri and Navas has a good game on the wings. In addition captain Kompany and Lucas Leiva contributed to hold Hull at bay in the second period. There weren't any injuries or suspensions after this game so let's move on.

Cardiff - Tottenham
0-2
View attachment 454268

Gary Lineker: Spurs lifted any doubts they may be in crisis with a hard-fought victory in Wales. Two first half goals by Soldado and Lennon were enough to get the job done before Dembele was sent off near the halftime whistle. Tottenham dug deep in the second half but managed to keep a clean sheet and that's three more points in the bag for Andre Villas-Boas.
Alan Hansen: It wasn't a walk in the park as the scoreline might suggest though! Cardiff gave everything in the second half and missed a number of chances to get back in the game. They had 20 shots opposed to Spurs' 12! I think the traveling fans will be relieved at that win and some of them might even tell you they don't know how the team held off.
Alan Shearer: Captain Michael Dawson picked up the PoM award but it was a fine all-round defensive effort and Walker and Kaboul were tremendous, too. Soldado had a good game on top of his goal, and Dembele was impressive before his sending off. He will now face a ban though and there are further worries for Spurs as Aaron Lennon had to be substituted with an injury just after the break. He only got gashed arm and should be fine in time for the next round.

2-0
View attachment 454265
Gary Lineker: I am beginning to feel sorry for Liverpool now. The schedule they had to go through is abysmal and does no justice to the team. But you can't hide from the facts and the harsh reality is they conceded a third loss in a row at Old Trafford. The Red Devils were patient but persistent and had their attempts to control the game rewarded with late goals by Robin van Persie and Kagawa.
Alan Hansen: I think Liverpool can have no complaints about this game. They were slow to the ball, awkward in defense and I don't even know how they contained Man United for eighty minutes. Brendan Rodgers fielded a weird 3-5-2 formation and it backfired spectacularly. On the other hand Moyes had a more conservative approach but made all the right calls. His subs were spot on and his decisions to sub Rooney and Nani instead of van Persie and Kagawa paid back.
Alan Shearer: Manchester United players stole the show tonight with Rafael picking up the PoM award for his amazing performance. I though Fellaini awas great too, his passing was tidy and he won nearly all his tackles and headers. Kagawa and van Persie scored the goals so deserve a mention, too. On the other side no Liverpool players impressed. Hernanes and Aspas were exceptionally poor tonight and I feel Mignolet should have done a lot better with the goals.
Gary Lineker: Let's see what the managers had to say after the game!

Reporter: This was a great performance and a great win! Are you seeing the Manchester United you want to see?
David Moyes: Let's not get carried away, while the clash with Liverpool has a great significance for the fans for historical reasons, it is still one game of many. But we are on the right track!
Reporter: Rafael was as good as we have ever seen him but you also played Fabio while Evra wasn't even in the group. Can we expect to see the twins as regular fullbacks in your team from now on?
David Moyes: There will be some development in that area. Just wait and see for yourself.

Reporter: Did you expect to sit rock-bottom three games into the season, Mr. Rodgers?
Brendan Rodgers: We knew it would be hard considering the tough fixtures. But this isn't where any of us want to see this club and we are working to change this every single minute.
Reporter: You made some changes after the loss at Newcastle and answered calls to play Sturridge in a more central role. Did you have to play three in the back to do so though?
Brendan Rodgers: No, that was dictated by our desire to come and attack Manchester United. We were doing a decent job, not a good one but merely decent, up until the final ten minutes but our offensive players couldn't take their chances. We are lacking in confidence now. Truth is we need Suarez back but we have to make-do for some more games before he returns.

Gary Lineker: It seems something is going on behind scenes with Patrice Evra. I'm not sure Moyes can afford to lose him after failing to bring Baines in though and Fabio is simply not at the same level.
Alan Hansen: I wondered how long it would take for Rodgers to admit the club relies heavily on Luis Suarez. We are simply not the same without his drive and energy and I fear what he sees in these early games may make up his mind about demanding a move in January.
Alan Shearer: And there were no injuries or suspensions after this game so both sets of fans can look forward to the next round without checking for fitness updates.

That is all from this edition of Match of the Day! Watch out for the newspaper columns of our regular pundits to find out their take of the games. And don't forget Mark Lawrenson's review of August is coming up shortly after!

Last edited:
Red Devils rediscover fighting spirit but works needs to be done on the market

Gary Neville

Published at 11:58PM, September 2 2013

When sir Alex Ferguson retired and David Moyes was named his successor many were convinced the days Manchester United will win game through sheer willpower are gone for good. Such suggestions grew in strength and intensity after the opening weekend of the Premier League when we failed to break down a resilient Stoke team at Old Trafford. Two games after that unfortunate 1-1 draw that belief is back and the critics are nowhere to be found. Tough Southampton and fierce rivals Liverpool were defeated with three goals in the final ten minutes.

View attachment 454233
Red Devils character back

The club is still in transition and dips in performance are to be expected. Nobody should be losing their sleep over that. But the management is working hard and the results are there to show for it. David Moyes is quickly establishing himself as a figure of authority at Old Trafford and the fans are warming to him. Three wins and a trophy out of four games, yet to taste defeat - hardly a team in crisis, right? It is not roses though.

View attachment 454234
Evra hands Moyes big test

David Moyes is still to prove himself at the transfer market. It seems he will soon have the chance to do so with Patrice Evra mysteriously missing from the group for the Liverpool game. Rumor has it he is trying to force a big-money move away from Manchester. Should he be successful this would open a big gap in the squad to be filled. Moyes already conceded defeat in his quest to bring his former left back at Everton Leighton Baines as the England international opted to join Newcastle instead. It will be interesting to see how Moyes handles this situation but it presents him with the wonderful opportunity to further impose his grip on a club that could so easily chew and crumble characters not strong enough to lead it to glory.

Tottenham clicking after early disappointment
Promoted teams provided perfect platform to integrate new players

View attachment 454228
David Pleat
The Guardian
, Monday 2 September 2013

It is never easy to get going after you bring in as many bodies as Spurs did this summer. It was the right decision to invest after the Gareth Bale sale and Andre Villas-Boas brought quality for value although a lot of those players were unfamiliar with English football, let alone each other. That was specifically exposed in the opening game away at West Ham which Spurs lost 2-3. Now while the Hammers are not exactly the strongest possible outfit, Sam Allardyce is great at playing to his strengths at home and knows how to achieve a good score.​

View attachment 454217
Soldado influential in last game

Thankfully we were blessed with comfortable fixtures after that game which allowed the new players to bed in without the added pressure of chasing points against big opposition. I don't want this to sound disrespectful to the likes of Crystal Palace and Cardiff but they are yet to establish themselves in the league and Tottenham took advantage of that.

View attachment 454215
Price tags can affect new players

I am not suggesting the integration process is over after just three games, not at all! It will take at least until January to see the full potential of our new lads. I am only highlighting the difference between adapting in an atmosphere of constant stress and pressure and having the confidence of playing for a successful football club. Because let's not fool ourselves - a lot of those lads arrived with some big price tags to justify and our fans will be quick to remind them so if results and performances both stall!

Are a journalist by any chance? Great updates as ever, and they're so regular!

View attachment 454179
August Watch

View attachment 454178
Premier League Table

The Contenders:

Newcastle (2nd; 7pts; +3) - surprisingly good start for the Magpies despite tough early games with Chelsea and Liverpool - if they can build on that they might prove worthy of our choice to include them in the contender list.
Player of the month: Hatem Ben Arfa (AMRLC) 7.47
0 Current first team injuries.

Manchester United (3rd; 7pts; +3) - the Red Devils recovered well from a slip-up at home in the opening game and managed to defeat Liverpool - who said they will never be the same without sir Alex?
Player of the month: Marouane Fellaini (DM/M/AMC) 7.43
4 Current first team injuries:
Anders Lindegaard (GK) - 7-11 days (damaged foot)
Rio Ferdinand (DC) - 10-14 days (fractured cheekbone)
Darren Fletcher (DM/MC) - 3-7 weeks (virus)
Michael Carrick (DM/MC) - 3 months (broken foot)

Tottenham (5th; 6pts; +5) - Spurs enjoy two wins in a row and sit comfortable in the table although the fixture list has been generous to them and they are yet to be truly tested.
Player of the month: Roberto Soldado (ST) 8.45
1 Current first team injury:
Aaron Lennon (M/AMRL) - 3-4 days (gashed arm)

Arsenal
(6th; 6pts; +4) - the Gunners have been perfect at home but need to carry that form in away games, too, if they are to live up to expectations to challenge for the title this season.
Player of the month: Olivier Giroud (ST) 7.58
3 Current first team injuries:
Emiliano Viviano (GK) - 3-6 days (calf strain)
Mikel Arteta (DM/MC) - 4-5 weeks (lower back stress fracture)
Nicklas Bendtner (ST) - 4-9 days (fractured wrist)

Chelsea (8th; 6pts; 0) - mixed start for the Blues as the big win against Liverpool was followed by a midweek loss at Newcastle which cost them a good chance to top the league at this stage.
Player of the month: Juan Mata (AMRLC) 8.03
4 Current first team injuries:
John Terry (DC) - 1-5 days (broken collarbone)
John Obi Mikel (DM/MC) - 4-5 days (concussion)
Ramires (DM/MRC/AMR) - 4-7 days (twisted ankle)
Oscar (MC/AMRC) - 3 weeks (damaged knee cap)

Manchester City (11th; 3pts; 0) - major underachievers against all odds, the Citizens didn't even have any hard games but somehow managed to win one and lose two of the three games against promoted teams - not title contender form!
Player of the month: Sergio Aguero (AMC/ST) 7.27
3 Current first team injuries:
Matija Nastasic (DC) - 9-14 days (damaged foot)
David Silva (MC/AMRLC) - 6-7 weeks (double hernia)
Stevan Jovetic (AMLC/ST) - 4-9 days (twisted ankle)

Liverpool (20th; 0pts; -4) - it was always going to be hard for the Reds as they faced Chelsea, Newcastle and Manchester United but losing all three was a genuine kick in the teeth and Anfield faithful will need to endure finishing August as the worst team in the Premier League.
Player of the month: Victor Moses (ML/AMRLC) 7.50
2 Current first team injuries:
Blaise Matuidi (DM/MC) - 3-7 days (groin strain)
Coutinho (AMLC) - 6-8 weeks (torn calf muscle)

Other teams to watch:

Fulham (1st) - red hot form from Berbatov allowed the Cottagers to top the league after the first three rounds.

Stoke (4th) - Mark Hughes' plan to play more attractive football is paying back as the Potters sit on equal points with the league leaders.

Everton, Cardiff, Hull, Southampton and Norwich are yet to achieve a win and need to recover if they don't want to be involved in relegation struggle. Especially with Liverpool unlikely to remain below them for long.

August Player of the Month:
Dimitar Berbatov (Fulham)
View attachment 454155

August Young Player of the Month:
Gino Peruzzi (Newcastle)
View attachment 454156

August Manager of the Month:
Mark Hughes (Stoke)
View attachment 454165

Leading Goalscorers:
View attachment 454167

Do not forget to tune in for our Transfer Deadline Day watch to find out who will buy well and who will miss on their transfer targets!

Last edited:
Are my eyes deceiving me... or is THE Emile Heskey back in England? surely worth a write up about ;)

PS Silent reader and loving the amount of detail you put in this story!

Back