Blasphemy! Seven clubs lock horns for the title after sir Alex Ferguson's retirement!

• Thread starter Thread starter KevinHann
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 373K

Victoria Beckham @victoriabeckham what a tool @ Marseilles can youiiim 1m

... and van Persie gets his second in the Newcastle game! He's back! Come on
Robin! Put the Magpies to sword #mufc #nufc

Expand

Liam Gallagher @liamgallagher what a tool @ Marseilles can you--iiiiiiiiiiiiiii 1m

Oh the shame! Ten man Fulham score again! Hard day to be a Citizen fan
#mcfc LGx

Expand

View attachment 452423
Premier League
Round 6

Saturday 28th September 2013:

Title Contenders Clash
View attachment 452421
Arsenal - Chelsea

44' Flamini (A) booked
45+3' Wilshere injured

Half Time

88' 0-1 Terry
Full Time

Final score

Arsenal - Chelsea 0-1
View attachment 452420View attachment 452419View attachment 452418

Fulham - Manchester City 4-1
Parker (13), Bent (21, 34, 76), Sidwell sent off (23); Fernandinho (81)

View attachment 452415View attachment 452414

Title Contenders Clash
View attachment 452413
Manchester United - Newcastle

9' Pearson (M) booked
36' 0-1 Cisse
43' Yanga-Mbiwa (N)
booked
44' 1-1 Vidic

Half Time

47' 1-2 Cisse
53' 2-2 van Persie
57' 2-3 Baines (pen)
63' 3-3 van Persie
74' Pearson (M) sent off
88' Remy (N)
booked
90' Anita (N)
booked
90+3' Balanta (N) booked
Full Time

Final score
Manchester United - Newcastle 3-3
View attachment 452401View attachment 452400View attachment 452399

Sunday 29th September 2013:

West Brom - Liverpool 0-1
Brunt sent off (64); Hernanes (41)

View attachment 452395View attachment 452394

Monday 30th September 2013:

Everton - Tottenham 0-1
Soldado (51)
View attachment 452393View attachment 452392

League Table:

View attachment 452391

Stay with Match of the Day for pundit analysis, manager interview specials and many more!

View attachment 452387
View attachment 452386
Premier League 2013/14
Round 6

Gary Lineker: Good evening and welcome to Match of the Day for our thoughts on the sixth round of the Premier League season! I will be your host after each round of games and Alan Shearer and Alan Hansen will assist me as we provide fresh post-match analysis on the seven clubs we have highlighted this season.
Alan Hansen: We will also show you some interview specials with the managers right after the games, as well as occasional player profiles.
Alan Shearer: And finally, but not at last place, you will be updated with the latest news on injuries, dressing room events or even rumours surrounding your favourite clubs.
Gary Lineker: So are you ready? What really happened in the latest round of world's best league? Here we go...

Arsenal - Chelsea
0-1
View attachment 452374
Gary Lineker: This was a game neither side wanted to lose so it was pretty tight and appeared to be heading for a bore 0-0 draw but John Terry grabbed a late winner for Chelsea.
Alan Hansen: The Gunners will be very disappointed with this one as they were a little more active but they have themselves to blame because they didn't make that count. On the other hand Chelsea were a bit more accurate with their shooting so it isn't that much of a surprise.
Alan Shearer: Despite the loss Monreal had a great game and earned the PoM award. Vermaelen also impressed for Arsenal while Terry, Cole and especially Ivanovic were great in Chelsea defense. Hazard also had a decent game.
Gary Lineker: Let's see what the managers had to say after the game!

Reporter: This is the second contender derby you lose in a row, this time with a dramatic late winner.
Arsene Wenger: Indeed, we were a little too cautious and focused on containing Chelsea. I think both defenses were on top today but sadly we missed a set piece cross near the end and that cost us dearly.
Reporter: Are you worried by the lack of goals during Giroud's absence? Bendtner is struggling to impose himself on games?
Arsene Wenger: We miss Giroud but that cannot be excuse. There are other players who need to step up and produce while he is recovering.

Reporter: What a win, Mr. Mourinho! You certainly got one over Wenger here!
Jose Mourinho: It was a big game against a big club and I am glad we won the way we did. It was no less than we deserved. I think we never allowed Arsenal to establish control in the middle and pull the strings as they usually do. We were patient and we got our reward in the end.
Reporter: Your players were more accurate with their shooting but we saw Mata, Lampard and Hazard squander good opportunities. Wouldn't it have been better if you got a goal earlier?
Jose Mourinho: No, not really. Arsenal didn't have any time to react and had we scored earlier it would have been harder to contain them. Our entire game plan was on hitting them in the final ten minutes and we executed it perfectly.

Gary Lineker: Sure they did, Jose did win the tactical battle this time.
Alan Hansen: Wenger wasn't helped by the lack of options up front though. I am sure he would have liked a more experienced striker on his bench.
Alan Shearer: And he won't be happy at the fact Jack Wilshere had to be carried off on a stretcher just before half time as he broke an ankle and will need between two and three months to recover.

Fulham - Manchester City
4-1
View attachment 452371
Gary Lineker: Beware the Cottagers! Two early goals for Fulham by Parker and Bent brought City to their knees before Sidwell was sent off with 70 minutes to play. Instead of taking advantage, the Citizens conceded two more as Bent completed a magnificent hattrick! Fernandinho pulled one back but it was too little, too late.
Alan Hansen: I don't know how to explain this result. Fulham capitalized on all their dangerous attacks and City were wasteful up front. I think dressing room morale was the decisive factor in this game.
Alan Shearer: Lescott, Aguero and Milner were atrocious for City and Pantilimon could have prevented at least one or two of the goals. Kolarov fell awkwardly on his elbow and will need around two weeks to recover.

Manchester Uniter - Newcastle
3-3

View attachment 452368
Gary Lineker: What a game! Newcastle took the lead three times by a brace from Cisse and a Leighton Baines penalty but the Red Devils came back on each occasion thanks to a Vidic goal and a brace from van Persie. Youngster Pearson was sent off for second bookable offense with 15 minutes to go but Newcastle couldn't make that count and it was a point for each side at full time whistle.
Alan Hansen: Manchester United were much more dangerous after van Persie came on in the second half but they were limited by fatigue while the Magpies seemed fresh and even managed to dominate possession over long periods of the game. It wouldn't be wrong to say this game could have offered even more goals as both teams never stopped attacking each other!
Alan Shearer: Scorers Vidic and van Persie were the pick for the home side while Cisse earned the PoM award for the visitors. No other player actually stood out.

Reporter: Disappointed you didn't go on and win it when you had momentum after the second van Persie goal... or relieved to win a point after you had to come back three times and play with ten men in the end?
David Moyes: You described it pretty well, it is mixed emotions for us today. There were moments I felt we could take the game but then they would come back at us and take the lead again. We didn't have anything else to throw on the pitch after Pearson had to come off and I'm satisfied we stood firm in those final minutes. Obviously I won't be celebrating a home draw but I'm satisfied.
Reporter: Robin van Persie came on to make a huge difference. This can only imply how different your side would have looked if it wasn't for the large number of injuries.
David Moyes: We had to go through a long spell of games without a number of players, yes, but it is a relief they are coming back now and we should look stronger in weeks to come.

Reporter: Throwing the lead away three times at Old Trafford - you were so close to breaking this Newcastle curse and yet fell short. Did that disappoint you?
Dimiter Hristov: Not at all! I enjoyed the game and prefer to focus on the positives - the lads had no fear and completely matched the champions at their ground! If we can carry that confidence over the next games we will surprise a lot of people!
Reporter: You took Cisse off on the hour mark when he was chasing a hattrick. Given his amazing form - seven goals in last three games - wasn't this a mistake? Your goals disappeared when he came off.
Dimiter Hristov: Maybe he would have won it for us if he stayed, I couldn't know. Or maybe he would have picked up a nasty injury after playing too many games in the space of seven days. I prefer a healthy and hungry Cisse to three points and losing him for a month.

Gary Lineker: It's interesting to observe how Moyes had to force van Persie back early to salvage something from this game while Hristov aristocratically took his red hot star off to preserve him from a possible injury.
Alan Hansen: It kind of raises the question which team has more depth, right? Not really. Newcastle have been lucky with injuries so far but I am impressed by Hristov's attempts to minimize the risks of such even at the expense of points.
Alan Shearer: Pearson will now be suspended because of his red card. There are no fresh injuries after this game so let's move on.

West Brom - Liverpool
0-1
View attachment 452357
Gary Lineker: Believe it or not, Liverpool have done it - their first league win of the season is fact! Hernanes got the winner just before half time and any attempts of the Baggies to get back in the game were halted on the hour mark when Chris Brunt was dismissed from play.
Alan Hansen: Liverpool were the much better team though and WBA attempts to kick them off the field failed miserably. The red card was always coming and I think if Suarez wasn't a little rusty the scoreline would have been much greater.
Alan Shearer: Agger was the most influential Liverpool player and got the PoM award. Hernanes and Sturridge created the goal and were the most important creative players for the Reds here. There are no injuries after this game so let's move on.

Everton - Tottenham
0-1
View attachment 452356
Gary Lineker: It was always going to be close at Goodison Park but Tottenham were more determined to get the win and Soldado wrapped it up for them with a good second half goal.
Alan Hansen: Spurs created everything decent in this game and I would have been surprised if they hadn't taken it. The Toffees tried to be offensive and make home advantage count but they were absorbed and faltered.
Alan Shearer: I'd like to point out the entire defense for Spurs, as well as Chadli and Soldado, who created the goal. There were no injuries for Tottenham so that's all.

That is all from this edition of Match of the Day! Watch out for the newspaper columns of our regular pundits to find out their take of the games!

View attachment 452335
View attachment 452334
PUBLISHED: 11:41 GMT, 30 September 2013 | UPDATED: 11:43 GMT, 30 September 2013

Suarez return boosts Liverpool to first league win

Brendan Rodgers spent a lot of time in the summer trying to convince the press, the fans, the world and most of all his own team that Liverpool does not depend on Suarez. He didn't really have any other choice as the club had to make-do without the suspended striker for over a month. Although Rodgers made a mistake by allowing actions contradict his words when he desperately pursued a striker on deadline day of the transfer window. Perhaps this didn't destroy the confidence Sturridge and Aspas had but it didn't help either.

View attachment 452333
Sturridge: I can hear you!

As the Premier League kicked off and Liverpool went on a poor chain of results it became evident Suarez is indeed the key ingredient that made it all tick on the pitch. The club failed to win any of the league games they had to play without him and both Sturridge and Aspas - or whoever of the pair was picked to spearhead the attack - looked lost and clumsy. Luckily these experiments couldn't go on forever and Luis is now back. Surprisingly his return coincided by the first league win this season. While Suarez didn't look particularly sharp - to be fair he failed to direct a single of his six shots on target - his aggression, direct running and movement scattered the opposition defense to pieces and allowed the rest of the team much more space and time on the ball in dangerous areas.

View attachment 452332
Pondering his next move in the winter?

This is both good and bad news. The good news is Liverpool could, should and probably will climb the league table. The bad - well, Suarez is now more important for the team than ever and everybody knows that. His teammates, his manager and the entire world. I fear what may happen in January if we aren't close to the Champions League and Suarez decides he wants to move. Even if such a move does not materialize the Uruguayan and his agent hold the upper hand over the manager and that is troubling, to say the least.

Troubling times as Arsenal slip 7 points off the top
Gunners still a class striker away from ambitions to win the league

View attachment 452176
Sol Campbell
The Guardian
, Monday 30 September 2013

Arsenal fans were on the happy side of the fence when the transfer window closed. Deadline day saw Wenger address both immediate issues in the team - bring in a defender and a striker. Watching Liverpool fail with a number of striker targets helped cover the fact the one we actually got is still too young and on loan. But wait a second - we already brought in one young striker incapable of affecting games because of his lack of experience - that was Sanogo! That weakness could have never been exposed if Giroud stayed fit.

View attachment 452175
Giroud injury exposes lack of depth

Although the Frenchman got injured on international duty and the nightmare rollercoaster began. Arsenal weren't off to the best of starts two weeks ago but losing derbies with Newcastle and Chelsea pushed us back to midtable and we are now seven points off the top of the league we were about to have a shot for. I am not a fan of drawing conclusions from one or two games but I can't ignore the fact we weren't prepared and as much as the Ozil deal got our hopes and confidence up, it wasn't backed up sufficiently to put us on level playing ground with the other competitors.

View attachment 452174
Competition within squad not enough

All of them have adequate cover for each position. We lose one player and struggle. City have four top strikers on their books. Chelsea can rotate Eto'o, Torres and Ba. The Red Devils were able to handle losing Rooney and van Persie to lengthly injuries. Spurs have Soldado, Defoe and Adebayor. Even Newcastle got competition for places. So let's be a little more realistic and admit we are still short of a few quality players - this has unfortunately been exposed and we are probably where we deserve to be at this point in the league table.​

View attachment 452173
September Watch

View attachment 452171
Premier League Table

The Contenders:

Manchester United (2nd; 14pts; +6) - the Red Devils enjoy a successful month beating Chelsea and Norwich and drawing with Newcastle despite a large number of injuries in the team. They also manage to move up to second.
Player of the month: Marouane Fellaini (DM/M/AMC) 7.92
5 Current first team injuries:
Fabio Coentrao (D/WB/ML) - 2-7 days (fractured ribs)
Darren Fletcher (DM/MC) - 6-12 days (virus)
Michael Carrick (DM/MC) - 6-8 weeks (broken foot)
Tom Cleverley (M/AMC) - 1-4 (twisted knee)
Wayne Rooney (AMC/ST) - 4-9 days (fractured arm)

Newcastle (3rd; 14pts; +5) - the Magpies keep going as Norwich and Arsenal were defeated and a valuable point was earned at Old Trafford this month. They drop down a position in the table but remain joint on points with the leaders!
Player of the month: Papiss Cisse (ST) 8.76
1 Current first team injury:
Cheick Tiote (DM/MC) - 11-14 days (dislocated jaw)

Tottenham (4th; 13pts; +7) - Spurs defeat Hull and Everton and share the spoils with leaders Fulham which is enough to see them crawl in the top four - a position they would happily take at the end of the season!
Player of the month: Mousa Dembele (M/AMC) 7.82
3 Current first team injuries:
Younes Kaboul (DC) - 7-10 days (groin strain)
Jan Vertonghen (SW/DLC/DM) - 10-14 days (pulled hamstring)
Antoine Griezmann (AMLC) - 4-6 weeks (lower back fracture)

Chelsea (6th; 12pts; +1) - shaky start of the month for the Blues with an unexpected home loss to Manchester United but they make up for it by beating West Brom and Arsenal to move two positions up the table.
Player of the month: John Terry (DC) 7.58
0 Current first team injuries.

Manchester City (9th; 8pts; -1) - the Citizens began the month well by defeating Everton but then slumped to a home draw with Sunderland and got battered at Fulham so their poor start continues and they remain midtable.
Player of the month: Yaya Toure (DM/M/AMC) 7.22
3 Current first team injuries:
Gael Clichy (D/WBL) - 3-4 days (whiplash)
Aleksander Kolarov (D/WBL) - 8-10 days (damaged elbow)
David Silva (MC/AMRLC) - 3-12 days(double hernia)

Arsenal (10th; 7pts; +2) - inconsistency turns to crisis for the Gunners as they only get a draw against Liverpool and lose to Newcastle and Chelsea.
Player of the month: Natxo Monreal (DL) 7.48
5 Current first team injuries:
Lukasz Fabianski (GK) - 3-4 weeks (double hernia)
Mikel Arteta (DM/MC) - 1-5 days (lower back stress fracture)
Jack Wilshere (M/AMC) - 2-3 months (broken ankle)
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (M/AMRLC) - 4-5 weeks (broken arm)
Olivier Giroud (ST) - 7-14 days (fractured wrist)

Liverpool (16th; 5pts; -3) - undefeated month for the Reds as their fortunes improve - draws against Arsenal and West Ham and a win over WBA allow Liverpool to climb out of relegation places.
Player of the month: Luis Suarez (AMRLC/ST) 7.16
4 Current first team injuries:
Martin Kelly (DRC) - 1-4 days (broken shoulder)
Mohamed Diame (DM/MC) - 5-7 weeks (strained knee ligaments)
Coutinho (AMLC) - 1-4 weeks (torn calf muscle)
Victor Moses (ML/AMRLC) - 9-14 days (groin strain)

Other teams to watch:

Fulham (1st) - the Cottagers remain top of the table for second month in a row after smashing Manchester City!

Aston Villa (5th) - the Villains get surprisingly close to top four at the end of September!

Southampton, Everton and Swansea remain in touch with relegation places and need to improve.

Cardiff, Norwich and Hull are under the line as it stands with the latter two yet to book a win.

September Player of the Month:
Papiss Cisse (Newcastle)
View attachment 452170

September Young Player of the Month:
Erik Lamela (Tottenham)

View attachment 452169

September Manager of the Month:
David Moyes (Manchester United)
View attachment 452168

Leading Goalscorers:
View attachment 452167

Stay tuned for another round of Mark Lawrenson predictions but don't forget some of the contenders have European games first!

Hugh Laurie @hughlaurie what a tool @ Marseilles can yo-----i-------ue 1m

Champions League
Lyon - Arsenal 2-1
Briand (23), Bisevac (42); Sanogo (14), Zivkovic sent off (90)

Expand

Usain St. Leo Bolt @usainbolt what a tool @ Marseilles can youiiiilievmmme 1m

#ChampionsLeague
Dotrmund - #mufc 1-1
Herrmann (82); van Persie (26), Vidic sent off (62)

Expand

Simon Pegg @simonpegg what a tool @ Marseilles can yo-----i------ue 1m

#ChampionsLeague
Atletico Madrid - #CFC 3-2
Diego Costa (10), Rodriguez (54), Villa (80), Alderweireld sent off (44);
Mata (37), Ba (67)

Expand

Liam Gallagher @liamgallagher what a tool @ Marseilles can you--iiiiiiiiiiiiiii 1m

#ChampionsLeague
FC Bayern - #mcfc 1-1
Mandzukic (pen 88); Dzeko (18)
LGx

Expand

Phil Collins @PhilCollinsFeed what a tool @ Marseilles can -u-----------e 1m

#EuropaLeague
P. Ferreira - #THFC 1-1
Freitas (9); Soldado (38)
Kyle Naughton out with thigh strain

Expand

crazy story man, so much time on your hands lol. good read mate read all 24 pages!

View attachment 452154

Premier League predictions: Lawro v Sting

BBC Sport's football expert Mark Lawrenson is pitting his wits against a different guest each week this season.

This week he takes on songwriter, lead singer and bassist for The Police and Newcastle fan Sting. As a solo musician and member of the Police, Sting has received 16 Grammy Awards, three Brit Awards, a Golden Globe, an Emmy Award, and several Oscar nominations for Best Original Song.

View attachment 452146
Lawro vs Newcastle fan Sting

A correct result is worth ONE point. A correct score earns THREE points.

West Ham - Chelsea
Sting: Sam Allardyce has a way of making life hard for the top clubs and this is a fierce London derby. 2-1.
Mark Lawrenson: I feel Mourinho will absorb the derby pressure as he usually does and this will allow the players to enjoy a good game here. 0-2.

West Brom - Newcastle
Sting: We have notched some top results but most of them were at home. West Brom have been somewhat of a bogey team for us recently. 2-2.
Mark Lawrenson: The Magpies ended their winning streak at Old Trafford and will be looking to bounce back but they will find it hard at this ground. This unbeaten run has to end somewhere. 2-1.

Crystal Palace - Liverpool
Sting: Liverpool won't have any better games to win than this one. 0-3.
Mark Lawrenson: With Suarez back the Reds should be winning games like this by a big margin. 1-4.

Manchester City - Norwich
Sting: Tricky but class will produce results at some point! 3-0.
Mark Lawrenson: The Canaries will look to take early advantage of the disastrous form of their hosts and I can see them taking the lead. But they simply don't have enough to hold when the Citizens come at them after. 3-1.

Sunderland - Tottenham
Sting: Easy call for a Newcastle fan. 0-3.
Mark Lawrenson: Spurs are looking good at the minute. All they need to do is keep getting the points, no matter how. This is a tough place to go though and they should be happy with a draw. 1-1.

Arsenal - Manchester United
Sting: This should be even. 1-1.
Mark Lawrenson: With van Persie back and on top form, and Giroud still out for the Gunners, I think Manchester United might pile more misery to their rivals. 1-3.

Last week, Lawro got three results right, with no perfect scores. His score of 3 was enough to comprehensively beat the predictions of Chelsea fan Simon Pegg, who managed no correct results with no perfect scores.

Total scores after Week Six
Lawro: 19
Guests: 18

View attachment 452083
Premier League
Round 7

Saturday 5th October 2013:

West Ham - Chelsea 1-3
Noble (63); Hazard (37, 54), Torres (88)
View attachment 452098View attachment 452097

West Brom - Newcastle 1-3
Toivonen (18); Ben Arfa (35), Peruzzi (41), Taylor (81)

View attachment 452096View attachment 452095

Crystal Palace - Liverpool 2-1
Pilkington (45), Chamakh (85); Suarez (17)

View attachment 452094View attachment 452093

Manchester City - Norwich 1-0
Navas (82)

View attachment 452092View attachment 452091

Sunday 6th October 2013:

Sunderland - Tottenham 2-0
Giaccherini (61), Borini (90+2)
View attachment 452090View attachment 452089

Monday 7th October 2013:

Title Contenders Clash
View attachment 452088
Arsenal - Manchester United

27' Bendtner (A) booked
36' Fellaini (M)
booked
Half Time

81' 0-1 Nani
89' 0-2 Welbeck

Full Time

Final score

Arsenal - Manchester United 0-2
View attachment 452086View attachment 452085View attachment 452084

League Table:

View attachment 452087

Stay with Match of the Day for pundit analysis, manager interview specials and many more!

View attachment 452082
View attachment 452081
Premier League 2013/14
Round 7

Gary Lineker: Good evening and welcome to Match of the Day for our thoughts on the seventh round of the Premier League season! I will be your host after each round of games and Alan Shearer and Alan Hansen will assist me as we provide fresh post-match analysis on the seven clubs we have highlighted this season.
Alan Hansen: We will also show you some interview specials with the managers right after the games, as well as occasional player profiles.
Alan Shearer: And finally, but not at last place, you will be updated with the latest news on injuries, dressing room events or even rumours surrounding your favourite clubs.
Gary Lineker: So are you ready? What really happened in the latest round of world's best league? Here we go...

West Ham - Chelsea
1-3
View attachment 452078
Gary Lineker: The Blues took the lead in the first half when Hazard scored. The Belgian got his second of the game after the break and even though Noble pulled one back for the Hammers, Torres capped a good counter in the end to seal a comfortable away win for Chelsea.
Alan Hansen: This was another strong, convincing performance by Chelsea as they were in control during the entire game. West Ham were lucky to find a way back in it but even after that they were brushed aside by a determined visiting side.
Alan Shearer: Eden Hazard was the best player on the pitch and got the PoM award. It was a team performance and none of the other Chelsea players stood out. Worrying news is Mourinho was forced to make two subs because of injuries in the first half. Lampard suffered a broken toe and will be out for two months, while Samuel Eto'o twisted his knee and will be out for a week.

West Brom - Newcastle
1-3
View attachment 452077
Gary Lineker: The Baggies started this game very strongly and put Newcastle under severe pressure. They deserved to take the lead and Toivonen made sure they did just under twenty games in the game. The Magpies gradually absorbed the pressure though and took the initiative to realize a complete comeback before the halftime whistle - Ben Arfa and Peruzzi scored. Steven Taylor killed the game off near the end with a third goal for the visitors.
Alan Hansen: I feel Newcastle rode their luck in the first half. West Brom were very much on top for the first thirty minutes and should have extended their lead. They didn't and were punished. Even after Newcastle got ahead in the score it was an open affair and WBA had a number of set piece chances.
Alan Shearer: Steven Taylor god the PoM award but Krul, Balanta, Peruzzi and Ben Arfa were very good, too. Peruzzi had a knock after Hristov had used all subs though and aggravated it. He will now miss the next two weeks with a pulled hamstring.

Crystal Palace - Liverpool
2-1

View attachment 452076
Gary Lineker: Liverpool seemed on track to win this after a good early goal by Suarez gave them the lead. They completely collapsed when Pilkington equalized for Palace just before the break though. The home side capitalized on the shaky Reds in the second half and got a winner when Chamakh sent the ball in the net with 5 minutes to go.
Alan Hansen: The Reds lacked confidence and this was demonstrated by a number of wasted attacks. They rushed to a large number of long shots when they could have been a little more patient. On the other hand Palace were pretty direct and had a number of chances of their own.
Alan Shearer: No Liverpool players impressed. Matuidi, Hernanes and Enrique were disappointing for them. On top of it Steven Gerrard got a knock but news is he will be okay for the next game.

Manchester City - Norwich
1-0
View attachment 452075
Gary Lineker: City were close to disappointing their fans again but Jesus Navas managed to rescue the points with a late winner here.
Alan Hansen: The Citizens were in complete control and should have wrapped this game up much earlier but lacked sharpness in the final third. Lucas Leiva got too much of the play and while his passing was accurate he was unable to deliver a single key pass..
Alan Shearer: Navas got the PoM award and that's pretty much all there is to point out here. There are no injuries after this game so let's move on.

Sunderland - Tottenham
2-0
View attachment 452074
Gary Lineker: Sunderland managed to stay in the game and Giaccherini got them the first goal in the second half. They helf off well and closed the game with a late second by Borini.
Alan Hansen: Spurs were unlucky not to score a goal in any of the earlier chances they created. It was a struggle ever since they fell behind and Sunderland got more of the ball. Any side could have scored the second but it was the hosts and they sealed a big win here.
Alan Shearer: No Spurs players had a good game but Lamela was very poor. There were no injuries for Tottenham so let's move on.

Arsenal - Manchester Uniter
0-2

View attachment 452072
Gary Lineker: Once again in an Arsenal game it seemed it was heading for a 0-0 draw and the visiting side gets a winner in the end. Or, in this occasion, two. Nani and Welbeck scored them for the Red Devils and broke the hearts at the Emirates.
Alan Hansen: We are getting boring now but Arsenal just cannot do without a top striker to lead the ranks. They had a number of chances and nobody took them. Manchester United did the bare minimum in terms of creating but showed incredible efficiency and taught the Gunners a lesson.
Alan Shearer: Ramsey was good for Arsenal but the visitors impressed much more. Rafael got the PoM though his performance was matched by Vidic. Welbeck, Nani and Fellaini were also very good.

Reporter: Another heartbreak at the end! Does that end your title ambitions?
Arsene Wenger: It's too early to talk about the title. We are not looking good right now and we must improve - that is all I want to focus on right now.
Reporter: Manchester United scored two with three shots on target. You create a lot more but lack somebody to finish off the moves?
Arsene Wenger: Thank you for stating the obvious. You must be award winning journalist.

Reporter: What a performance in defense! You were amazing! Was that your gameplan?
David Moyes: We couldn't go out at the Emirates and only attack. We just made sure we would be strong in defense and build on from there.
Reporter: A lot has been said about van Persie returning to top form and yet it was Welbeck to score a wonder goal to seal it in the end. You must feel lucky with such rich competition for places.
David Moyes: Of course, we have a lot of talent, a lot of players who can change games here! And we are only going to get better during the season!

Gary Lineker: The difference in mood and options is striking for two clubs we considered pretty close.
Alan Hansen: Yes, Wenger realizes he has a lot of work to do. He must deal with it somehow until January and pray it is not too late when the window opens.
Alan Shearer: Moyes was worried when Nani got a kick in the second half but the winger has been passed fit after the game.

That is all from this edition of Match of the Day! Watch out for the newspaper columns of our regular pundits to find out their take of the games!

View attachment 425321
Defeat at Stadium of Light must not halt Spurs momentum
View attachment 452058
Last Updated: 7th October 2013

SUNDERLAND loss only the first one in six league games.

There is a lot of disappointment circling around White Hart Lane after Tottenham fell to a shock defeat away in the North East this weekend. The result saw Spurs slide down to seventh place in the league table and the doom mongers are quick to suggest the club ambition of a Champions League position this season is under question. Such thoughts are ill timed and have little ground to begin with. We need to remember this is only the second defeat Spurs concede this season in a highly competitive league.

View attachment 452048
Spurs good run fails to impress fans

Was there anything troubling in that performance? I wouldn't say so. We did suffer some tired legs after the Europa League game which inevitably affected our commitment in defensive duties and this was exploited by the hosts. But we created a lot of chances to go up front especially in the first half and on a different day would have done so - which is crucial in games like this. This is all we can ask for with this heavily schedule we got on our hands. As much as the fans hate to hear it, this is also a side still blending after the summer window. I'm not pointing this out as an excuse but as a reminder there is room for improvement.

View attachment 452044
Tired midfield often saw Spurs outnumbered

In conclusion yes, Tottenham sit seventh in the table with teams like Fulham, Villa and Stoke above. How is this a negative? Wouldn't it be much worse if it was City, Arsenal and Liverpool - all of which are below us at the time being? How does our current run constitute disappointing start if we are just two points off our target and four off the top? Please remember these facts the next time you feel like giving the manager or the players some stick for failing to win 6-0 just because you want to be entertained for your ticket.

Mourinho gets the players to bleed for the club
View attachment 452033
Tony Cascarino Commentary
Last updated at 11:53PM, October 7 2013

Chelsea title credentials were put to a big test when the Blues were defeated twice in the opening four games of the league. There was a lot of criticism for Mourinho - I was also one to warn he needs to adapt to match the different level of competition we see nowadays. You will remember that specific article preceded both losses. But I am not here to brag for credit. What I want to do is stress Jose is getting it right after those derbies.

View attachment 452026
Chelsea needed a kick in the teeth

Sometimes you need a kick in the teeth to wake up and get the determination to perform at a higher level. This is one of the specialties of the Special One. Ever since the bad loss at home to Manchester United the players are literally bleeding themselves on the pitch for the club and the results are there to see - three league wins in a row, including impressive away games at London rivals Arsenal and West Ham.

View attachment 452021
Staying sharp is what matters now

All this has allowed the club to improve the league position to a much more respectable fourth place which gives a great platform to attack the top. Mourinho is aware the difference to Manchester United and Newcastle is only two points but I bet he is talking to the players about Tottenham and Manchester City and how important it is to not let them catch up. Because in the same time they will be thinking how easily the club could fall in the same position as those behind and remain on guard against complacency.

Great update as always, it's disappointing as a Liverpool fan to see them lose yet again, though.

Back