Blasphemy! Seven clubs lock horns for the title after sir Alex Ferguson's retirement!

• Thread starter Thread starter KevinHann
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 373K
Great update as always, it's disappointing as a Liverpool fan to see them lose yet again, though.

They should be better with Suarez back but I guess morale was damaged by the poor start with a lot of tough games in their schedule. Sturridge and Aspas were incredibly disappointing though!

View attachment 451992

Premier League predictions: Lawro v Piers Morgan

BBC Sport's football expert Mark Lawrenson is pitting his wits against a different guest each week this season.

This week he takes on British journalist, television host, former television talent competition judge and Arsenal fan Piers Morgan.

View attachment 451979
Lawro vs Arsenal fan Piers

A correct result is worth ONE point. A correct score earns THREE points.

West Ham - Manchester United
Piers Morgan: As much as I'd like this to go differently, Manchester United are top of the league for a reason. 0-2.
Mark Lawrenson: I still think the Hammers are going to upset some of the big teams. 1-1.

Crystal Palace - Newcastle
Piers Morgan: Both teams are overperforming spectacularly and there isn't anything to separate them right now. 2-2.
Mark Lawrenson: This is another sequence I am awaiting to come to an end. The Magpies will lose somewhere. 2-1.

Cardiff - Chelsea
Piers Morgan: I am impressed at how consistent Chelsea have been recently - can't see any reason for this to change in Wales. 0-2.
Mark Lawrenson: Cardiff are a tidy little team who don't score and don't concede many. They don't have enough to stop Chelsea though. 1-2.

West Brom - Arsenal
Piers Morgan: Our form recently has been terrible but we should be beating the likes of WBA. 0-1.
Mark Lawrenson: Giroud is expected to make a return in this game and this should boost the Gunners to a win. 1-3.

Manchester City - Aston Villa

Piers Morgan: City are much better than Villa, combined with home advantage this could get ugly. 5-1.
Mark Lawrenson: It is surprising to see the visitors in this game are higher in the table which suggests City will be in for a world of pain if they underestimate them. Despite this I don't think Manuel Pellegrini and his players are in any position to take whatever game lightly. 3-1.

Hull - Liverpool
Piers Morgan: I will be surprised if Liverpool fail to beat the bottom club comprehensively, even away from home. 0-4.
Mark Lawrenson: Amazingly this is a clash between two clubs under the relegation line and as we know these games are usually won by the team which shows more grit. I expect Hull to turn it into a physical battle and force Liverpool to work hard for any points. Even then the visitors should come on top eventually, especially if they score first. 1-3.

Tottenham - Norwich
Piers Morgan: I'd like to go for a surprise here but I honestly don't see how the Canaries can get anything from this game. They are in the bottom three for a reason. 3-0.
Mark Lawrenson: Norwich are not only under the line, they also are the only team other than Hull yet to win a game and it will be very hard for them to start against a Spurs side who will be doing their best to forget last week's humiliating loss at the hands of Sunderland. Tottenham will be much better as they aren't on the back of Europa League this time and should win. 2-0.

Last week, Lawro got three results right, with no perfect scores. His score of 3 was enough to comprehensively beat the predictions of Newcastle fan Sting, who managed one correct result with no perfect scores.

Total scores after Week Seven
Lawro: 22
Guests: 19

Last edited:

Angelina Jolie @AJolieV what a tool @ Marseilles can yo-------i------ue 1m

Unbelievable! Sturridge scores at Hull and Liverpool lead, please don't let me
wake up from this #liverpool #hullcityteam

Expand

Liam Gallagher @liamgallagher what a tool @ Marseilles can you--iiiiiiiiiiiiiii 1m

That was quick! What a difference it makes having Silva back #mcfc #avfc
LGx

Expand

View attachment 451935
Premier League
Round 8

Saturday 19th October 2013:

West Ham - Manchester United 1-3
Noble (pen 40); Rooney (16, 45, 60)
View attachment 451955View attachment 451954

Crystal Palace - Newcastle 1-4
Williams (31); Baines (27), Remy (62), Sissoko (82), Ben Arfa (90+2)

View attachment 451952View attachment 451951

Cardiff - Chelsea 2-1
Larsson (13), Cornelius (80), Gunnarsson sent off (62); Oscar (54)

View attachment 451950View attachment 451949

West Brom - Arsenal 0-0
View attachment 451947View attachment 451946

Manchester City - Aston Villa 3-0
Silva (7), Aguero (12), Kompany (45+1)

View attachment 451944View attachment 451943

Sunday 20th October 2013:

Hull - Liverpool 2-1
Huddlestone (23), Fryatt (pen 79); Sturridge (21)
View attachment 451941View attachment 451940

Monday 21st October 2013:

Tottenham - Norwich 0-0
View attachment 451938View attachment 451937

League Table:

View attachment 451936

Stay with Match of the Day for pundit analysis, manager interview specials and many more!

Seems like SI doesn't like Brenden Rodgers, He's gotten fired in my every single save, seems like he'll be fired in your save too. It's hard to see Chelsea losing to the likes of Cardiff though. :/

Seems like SI doesn't like Brenden Rodgers, He's gotten fired in my every single save, seems like he'll be fired in your save too. It's hard to see Chelsea losing to the likes of Cardiff though. :/

A lot of strange results, yes, none of the big clubs but Manchester United have been consistent so far. The Liverpool situation is absurd but I only got reports Wenger is under pressure.

A lot of strange results, yes, none of the big clubs but Manchester United have been consistent so far. The Liverpool situation is absurd but I only got reports Wenger is under pressure.
Arsenal will ever sack Wenger unless they're getting relegated, they'll let him go at the end of the season. It's really hard to be manager of Liverpool in the game, doesn't matter if it's human manager or computer itself. :P

Arsenal will ever sack Wenger unless they're getting relegated, they'll let him go at the end of the season. It's really hard to be manager of Liverpool in the game, doesn't matter if it's human manager or computer itself. :P

Not so sure about that, I would work miracles with their squad and my wheeling in the market :)

Not so sure about that, I would work miracles with their squad and my wheeling in the market :)
I'm just saying what others have said. I can never get myself to manage Liverpool or Utd or Spurs as a Chelsea fan.

View attachment 451779
View attachment 451778
Premier League 2013/14
Round 8

Gary Lineker: Good evening and welcome to Match of the Day for our thoughts on the eight round of the Premier League season! I will be your host after each round of games and Alan Shearer and Alan Hansen will assist me as we provide fresh post-match analysis. I have an announcement to make - due to time limitations we have restructured our format and will be focusing on a game or two we pick from the seven clubs we have highlighted this season - usually that will be the contender derbies.
Alan Hansen: We will also show you some interview specials with the managers right after the games, as well as occasional player profiles.
Alan Shearer: And finally, but not at last place, you will be updated with the latest news on injuries, dressing room events or even rumours surrounding your favourite clubs.
Gary Lineker: So are you ready? What really happened in the latest round of world's best league? Here we go...

Crystal Palace - Newcastle
1-4
View attachment 451777
Gary Lineker: The match we picked up today saw Newcastle rise top of the league on goal difference. We simply couldn't turn our backs on this marvelous achievement by the Magpies but how did it happen? Crystal Palace are overachievers themselves this season sitting comfortably in the upper half of the table so many expected this to be a close affair. Leighton Baines gave Newcastle the lead midway through the first half but the hosts lived up to their own surprise package tag as Jon Williams equalized just four minutes later. Palace were the more lively team in the first half and maybe could have taken the lead but there were no more goals before the half time whistle. Newcastle were a changed team after the break and came at the hosts all guns blazing. Loic Remy gave them the lead on the hour mark with a good rebound and then Sissoko and Ben Arfa put it way beyond Palace reach in the final minutes.
Alan Hansen: It was another dominant performance by the Magpies, especially in the second half. They were a little shaky at the back as usual and I thought Palace had more clear cut chances but stats say Newcastle had the upper hand in pass accuracy, tackling and even won more of their headers. Clinical finishing suggests the overall quality of the visitors was too much for Palace to take even if the result is a little flattering for what we saw on the pitch.
Alan Shearer: Loic Remy was asked to play the focal point of Newcastle attacks today and he was magnificent, picking up the PoM award in the process. He grabbed a goal and assisted for two more. Ben Arfa was incredible, too, scoring one and assisting for one more. There were strong performances from Sissoko, Baines, Zouma and Taylor as well.
Gary Lineker: Let's see what the Newcastle manager had to say after the game!

Reporter: A great second half sees you take over at the top! A lot of people doubt your ability to stay there though. What do you want to tell them?
Dimiter Hristov: We are exactly where our results earned us to be and we deserved each one of those results. If the fact this adds up to first position disappoints anyone I am sorry for spoiling it for them. Whether we will stay there or thereabouts depends on how we perform from now on - but I see no reason to drop our game.
Reporter: That sounds like a political way of targeting the title. Do you really think you have what it takes to win the league?
Dimiter Hristov: Our target this season, as agreed with the board, is Champions League qualification. The lot of people you already mentioned laughed at us for that but it is them mentioning us and the title in the same sentence now. I am not afraid of the pressure but it is too early to talk about either. All I want from my players is keep the good work up and we'll see what's what around New Year.

Gary Lineker: It's very bold to link Newcastle to the title at this stage. They have been impressive indeed although there is plenty of football to be played and the poor form of some of the other contenders won't last that long.
Alan Hansen: What I'd like to point out is Newcastle have the worst defense in the league despite the position in the table. This will come back to haunt them at some stage.
Gary Lineker: What do you have for us in the news and rumours section today, Alan?
Alan Shearer: There are reports pressure is growing on Arsene Wenger and Brendan Rodgers as both Arsenal and Liverpool failed to win this weekend. Other than that Manchester United lost Fellaini to a groin strain for two weeks, Liverpool lost Daniel Agger to the same injury for three weeks, while Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester City, Newcastle and Tottenham walked off their game unscathed by new injuries.

That is all from this edition of Match of the Day! Watch out for the newspaper columns of our regular pundits to find out their take of the games!

Lee Dixon: Silva return sees Citizens kick start the season
View attachment 451725
LEE DIXON Monday 21 October 2013
The importance of David Silva to Manchester City has been well documented over the years. His absence recently has been heavily pointed as the main reason behind the Citizens' abysmal start to the season. He has returned to full fitness now though and eyes were set on him making a first appearance over a very long time this weekend as Manchester City entertained Aston Villa at the Etihad. And he delivered the best possible way.

View attachment 451717
Silva scores the vital opener

It was just seven minutes in the game when David took the responsibility by cutting inside past a couple Villain defenders, kept his balance after a late tackle and calmly slotted the ball past the goalkeeper to give City the lead. It was the only shot he registered in the entire game but how important it was! It calmed the entire team and channeled the efforts to a positive performance which eventually ended to three goals and a clean sheet.

View attachment 451715
Amazing partnership back on track

That wasn't everything. David Silva was the most active attacking midfielder for City as he always looked for a pass and made himself available. His constant movement off the ball pinned at least two Villa players and allowed much more space for the likes of Aguero who got himself on the scoresheet, too. In conclusion - it is vital for Pellegrini to keep David Silva fit and fresh for as long as possible if he is going to mount a serious title challenge this season.

View attachment 451714

Liverpool surrender lead at Hull for fifth defeat in eight
Pressure mounts on Brendan Rodgers to set things right

View attachment 451706
Liverpool manager not safe in his position

View attachment 451712
By Alan Hansen
11:33PM GMT 21 Oct 2013

Liverpool are enjoying the worst possible start of the season sitting barely above relegation zone with just five points from eight games. Not even the return of Suarez from suspension helped improve from as we failed to take anything out of the away game at Hull despite taking the lead. A late penalty condemned us to a fifth defeat at a place we were largely expected to win by a big margin. Rumors are circling Brendan Rodgers' very position is under inspection now.

View attachment 451671
Hull heap more misery on the Reds

I don't think it is right to sacrifice the manager at this point though. The board failed to back him with the striker signing he wanted in the summer after missing out on a large number of targets so the blame has to be split. As a matter of fact I don't think anyone would have fared better given the circumstances. The players should take their part of it, too. Sturridge and Aspas had many chances to prove their worth of the famous shirt but failed to live up to expectations.

View attachment 426146
Sticking with the Liverpool way essential

Sacking the manager is definitely not the return to the Liverpool way the fans crave. One thing we are known for is our patience with the figure in charge. At hard times as nowadays it is important to remember this is not some empty tradition. It is incredibly difficult to identify the right man to handle the job and as we have seen in this league knee jerk reactions often backfire big time. That's why I hope for the good of the club Brendan picks it up and improves our position to a much more respectable one come January so that he can be given the means to address the issues that are holding us back.

Hugh Laurie @hughlaurie what a tool @ Marseilles can yo-----i-------ue 1m

Champions League
Celtic - Arsenal 2-3
Keogh (20), Watson (32); Walcott (2), Flamini (69), Giroud (84)

Expand

Simon Pegg @simonpegg what a tool @ Marseilles can yo-----i------ue 1m

#ChampionsLeague
Zenit - #CFC 0-1
Oscar (pen 82)
Gary Cahill out with twisted knee

Expand

Phil Collins @PhilCollinsFeed what a tool @ Marseilles can -u-----------e 1m

#EuropaLeague
#THFC - Dinamo Zagreb 0-0
Capoue sent off (43)
Younes Kaboul out with concussion

Expand

View attachment 451665

Premier League predictions: Lawro v Marsha Thomason

BBC Sport's football expert Mark Lawrenson is pitting his wits against a different guest each week this season.

This week he takes on British television and film actress and Manchester City fan Marsha Thomason, who is known in the United States for her recurring role on Lost as Naomi Dorrit, and for playing FBI agent Diana Berrigan on White Collar.

View attachment 451662
Lawro vs Manchester City fan Marsha

A correct result is worth ONE point. A correct score earns THREE points.

Manchester United - West Brom
Marsha Thomason: Rivals or not, the Red Devils can't be stopped at home right now. 3-0.
Mark Lawrenson: Manchester United will be raring to get back to top spot after Newcastle pipped them on goal difference last week, so this may be a trashing. 4-1.

Newcastle - West Ham
Marsha Thomason: The home side are on fire right now and West Ham have hardly been inspiring lately. 3-1.
Mark Lawrenson: This time I will side with the Magpies for the win. 3-1.

Liverpool - Cardiff
Marsha Thomason: Liverpool will start winning soon, their current position deceives. 2-1.
Mark Lawrenson: As bad as the Reds seem right now, I think it would be criminal offense to not win this game. 2-0.

Norwich - Arsenal
Marsha Thomason: Easy win for the visitors here. 0-2.
Mark Lawrenson: Arsenal have issues of their own but away games like this could and should be taken with relative ease. 0-3.

Chelsea - Crystal Palace

Marsha Thomason: Another easy one to predict. 2-0.
Mark Lawrenson: Once again I need to second the guest prediction here. I will go for a slightly bigger margin though. 3-0.

Tottenham - Manchester City
Marsha Thomason: I will be hoping we win this game but to be fair a point wouldn't be bad either. 2-2.
Mark Lawrenson: With Silva back in the starting lineup the Citizens are a different team and should win this game. 1-3.

Last week, Lawro got one result right, with no perfect scores. His score of 1 was short of the predictions of Arsenal fan Piers Morgan, who managed two correct results with no perfect scores.

Total scores after Week Eight
Lawro: 23
Guests: 21

View attachment 451655
Premier League
Round 9

Saturday 26th October 2013:

Manchester United - West Brom 5-1
Rooney (3, pen 50), Hernandez (12, 85), Nani (60); Osman (25)
View attachment 451654View attachment 451653

Newcastle - West Ham 3-1
Cisse (45+2, 56), Remy (60)
; Noble (pen 11), Nolan sent off (86)
View attachment 451652View attachment 451651

Liverpool - Cardiff 1-1
Gerrard (20); Whittingham (90+1)
View attachment 451650View attachment 451649

Norwich - Arsenal 1-0

Hoolahan (70)

View attachment 451648View attachment 451647

Chelsea - Crystal Palace 3-0
Eto'o (11, 45+1, 69)
View attachment 451646View attachment 451645

Sunday 27th October 2013:

Title Contenders Clash
View attachment 451643

33' 0-1 Lucas Leiva
Half Time
50' Kompany (M) booked
54' Soldado (T)
booked
55' 0-2 Navas
58' Vertonghen (T)
booked
Full Time

Final score

Tottenham - Manchester City 0-2
View attachment 451642View attachment 451641View attachment 451640

League Table:

View attachment 451644

Stay with Match of the Day for pundit analysis, manager interview specials and many more!

View attachment 451639
View attachment 451638
Premier League 2013/14
Round 9

Gary Lineker: Good evening and welcome to Match of the Day for our thoughts on the ninth round of the Premier League season! I will be your host after each round of games and Alan Shearer and Alan Hansen will assist me as we provide fresh post-match analysis. We will be focusing on a game or two we pick from the seven clubs we have highlighted this season - usually that will be the contender derbies.
Alan Hansen: We will also show you some interview specials with the managers right after the games, as well as occasional player profiles.
Alan Shearer: And finally, but not at last place, you will be updated with the latest news on injuries, dressing room events or even rumours surrounding your favourite clubs.
Gary Lineker: So are you ready? What really happened in the latest round of world's best league? Here we go...

0-2
View attachment 451637
Gary Lineker: The match we picked up today saw two equally positioned in the table title contenders wrestle for points in an attempt to keep the tempo of the top four. Spurs were blowing hot and cold form so far while the Citizens had a troubling start until David Silva returned from lengthly injury last week. This boost carried on in this game as well as the Citizens edged victorious in an otherwise even contest thanks to goals in each half from Lucas and Navas.
Alan Hansen: It was indeed a very even game as both teams were close in all aspects of the play. Spurs had a slight advantage in the aerial duels but were unable to make that count. The first goal was key as both sides patiently built up their attacks and City were a little lucky to get it. But once they had the lead they made the most of it and went on to seal the game with a good second goal.
Alan Shearer: Navas was impressive and got the PoM award, but he was backed by strong performances from Navas, Yaya Toure, Kompany and Zabaleta. Mousa Dembele was instrumental in midfield for Spurs but his teammates couldn't put his influence to use.
Gary Lineker: Let's see what the managers had to say after the game!

Reporter: You were a complete match for Manchester City today. This loss must be very hard to take?
Andre Villas-Boas: What can I say, they took their chances and we didn't. We worked hard to get something from this game but we couldn't. Now we must move on and produce the same display in the next game.
Reporter: Perhaps you are grateful you don't need to play City every week?
Andre Villas-Boas: They are a great team on their day. But I don't think we are far behind and as this league is so competitive we will have our chances to catch up. And I promise we will do our best to take them.Reporter: What a vital win for your side! Do you fancy catching up with the league leaders now?
Manuel Pellegrini: We need to take it one step at a time, the moment we get ahead of ourselves we draw or lose to a bottom half club. We've been working hard to prep for this game and it is satisfactory to see our effort rewarded today.
Reporter: This is the first time this season you manage to get back-to-back wins, can we expect to see a little more consistence from your team now?
Manuel Pellegrini: We will need to if we want to stay in touch with the top four. We have got a great platform to chase them now and the table can easily change in a couple of games.

Gary Lineker: City now have the second best defense in the league so they do have a good platform to build up with offensive performances also turning up recently. I think they still have to play both Manchester United and Newcastle so the path to the top is pretty much open for them.
Alan Hansen: It was a bad result for Spurs though as they lost ground on the top four and will need to improve fast as time is running out and the most likely contenders are soon to shape as a group.
Gary Lineker: What do you have for us in the news and rumours section today, Alan?
Alan Shearer: Reports on Wenger and Rodgers under pressure at Arsenal and Liverpool respectively are growing in force as both teams failed to win yet again. Tom Cleverly was an injury doubt for Manchester United but his knock is nothing serious and he is fit to play. Newcastle lost Kurt Zouma early in their game but he will only miss a few days. Liverpool weren't so lucky with captain Steven Gerrard officially sidelined for two months with a hip injury. Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester City and Tottenham walked off their game unscathed by new injuries.

That is all from this edition of Match of the Day! Watch out for the newspaper columns of our regular pundits to find out their take of the games!

Back