Blasphemy! Seven clubs lock horns for the title after sir Alex Ferguson's retirement!

• Thread starter Thread starter KevinHann
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 373K
Blast from the past: rivalry with the North East sparkled to life?

Gary Neville

Published at 8:33PM, October 27 2013

It was a long time since Manchester United and Newcastle went head to head at the summit of the Premier League but most of our fans remember those days in the nineties. They certainly bring back sentimental feelings of those days before Abramovic invested in Chelsea and the Arabs arrived at Manchester City. Could we be about to witness a spectacular resurrection of these days now?

View attachment 451616
Red Devils keep fond memories of this rivalry

If that is the case we can breathe easily. Sir Alex Ferguson already suffocated this rivalry once so we certainly have the experience to lean on. All we need to do is keep going and wait for the Magpies to crack again which they have so generously done on a number of occasions. Of course it is way, way too soon to discuss this seriously but it would be irresponsible to ignore the chance of it happening either.

View attachment 451615
Explosive partnership not enough to keep leads

The first meeting between the two sides ended 3-3 at Old Trafford so the score is pretty much even with us sitting on joint points with them right now. But we need to remember and feel confident because in that game Newcastle had the lead three times and ultimately failed to keep it. Something we are famous for. When it matters.

This is why the Entertainers are NOT back!

View attachment 451613
Rob Lee
Published at 10:21PM, October 27 2013

The spectacular start of the season which sees Newcastle enjoy flirting with the top of the Premier League has brought rave comparisons with the Entertainers era back in the nineties. With expectations growing the fans need to be aware this is not the case - except for the irresponsible spending, of course. First of all two months is way too early to make those calls and while we are joint on points with Manchester United, we are also neighbours with Fulham. Does anyone believe they are a genuine top four contender (let alone title challenger)?

View attachment 451609
Do you believe these days can return? Ever?

As romantic as the idea of wrestling with the big guns for the title is, the Premier League is a different animal these days. You need to be extremely balanced in order to maintain a long winning run. And a quick look at our stats suggests while we make the most of our attacks there is much to be desired from our performances at the back. Not even in Keegan's era, so famously branded by the phrase "if you score three, we will score four", were we as leaky in defense. The only clubs to concede more than us so far are West Ham and Hull - who find themselves at the bottom two places of the table!

View attachment 451606
Can we handle the magnified attention?

The more important thing is we are now attracting the attention of those big clubs we are supposedly "challenging". We have been blessed with a great run so far but it is safe to say we weren't taken seriously in these first several games. This is about to change and I am afraid we aren't exactly known for our ability to thrive under pressure. Don't read me wrong, I want nothing more than to see our beloved club up there in the mix. I just don't see it lasting after the winter, let alone come May.

English Title Contenders Cup Watch

View attachment 451605

Fourth Round

Tuesday 29th September 2013

Liverpool - Newcastle 0-4
Donovan (pen 5), Sissoko (11), Marveaux (32), Gouffran (49)
View attachment 451596View attachment 451595View attachment 451594

Chelsea - Carlisle 3-2
Ivanovic (36), Chalobah (40), Willian (44); Guy (11, 18)
View attachment 451602View attachment 451601

Wednesday 30th September 2013

Sunderland - Manchester City 0-3
Kolarov (17), Nastasic (25), Negredo (pen 61)
View attachment 451593View attachment 451592

Whoa what a heartbreaking draw! After getting past Arsenal and Liverpool I was so hoping we'd get an easy pass to the last four but no, take the one team you fear with just them and Chelsea in the running, thank you so much!!!

View attachment 451576
October Watch

View attachment 451569
Premier League Table

The Contenders:

Manchester United (1st; 23pts; +14) - the Red Devils enjoy a perfect month with three wins out of three games and go top of the league table!
Player of the month: Wayne Rooney (AMC/ST) 8.00
6 Current first team injuries:
Nemanja Vidic (DC) - 5-7 weeks (strained knee ligaments)
Rio Ferdinand (DC) - 6-11 days (fractured cheekbone)
Marouane Fellaini (DM/M/AMC) - 1-4 days (groin strain)
Michael Carrick (DM/MC) - 2-4 weeks (broken foot)
Adnan Januzaj (AMRLC) - 11-14 days (groin strain)
Robin van Persie (ST) - 3-9 days (hernia)

Newcastle (2nd; 23pts; +12) - the Magpies keep up the tempo and remain joint on top with Manchester United after three wins out of three games this month but have to settle for second because of goal difference!
Player of the month: Papiss Cisse (ST) 8.02
0 Current first team injuries.

Chelsea (4th; 18pts; +5) - two wins this month are enough for the Blues to regain their place in the top four and remain close to the leaders.
Player of the month: Eden Hazard (MC/AMRLC) 7.72
3 Current first team injuries:
Petr Cech (GK) - 9-14 days (broken finger)
Gary Cahill (DC) - 2-4 days (twisted knee)
Frank Lampard (MC) - 3-5 weeks (broken toe)

Manchester City (5th; 17pts; +5) - the Citizens improve massively to win all their games this month and climb the table.
Player of the month: Vincent Kompany (DC/DM/MC) 7.76
3 Current first team injuries:
Jack Rodwell (DM/MC) - 3 weeks (hernia)
James Milner (AMRL) - 3-4 weeks (sports hernia)
David Silva (MC/AMRLC) - 2-3 weeks (broken ribs)

Tottenham (7th; 14pts; +3) - Spurs only manage a single point this month which sees them slide three positions down and out of the top four.
Player of the month: Kyle Walker (DR/WBR) 7.40
4 Current first team injuries:
Gomes (GK) - 1-5 days (twisted ankle)
Mousa Dembele (M/AMC) - 4-5 weeks (sports hernia)
Erik Lamela (AMRLC) - 3-4 weeks (twisted ankle)
Andros Townsend (AMRL) - 3-4 weeks (broken ribs)

Arsenal (14th; 8pts; -1) - a single point for the Gunners in October pushes them from midtable mediocrity into a state of free fall.
Player of the month: Olivier Giroud (ST) 7.42
2 Current first team injuries:
Jack Wilshere (M/AMC) - 5-7 weeks (broken ankle)
Nicklas Bendtner (ST) - 3-4 weeks (sprained ankle)

Liverpool (17th; 6pts; -5) - just one point for the Reds and they are now barely over the safety line and just three points away from the bottom team!
Player of the month: Iago Aspas (AMC/ST) 6.98
4 Current first team injuries:
Simon Mignolet (GK) - 3-4 weeks (broken finger)
Daniel Agger (DC) - 3-7 days (groin strain)
Mohamed Diame (DM/MC) - 4-8 days (strained knee ligaments)
Steven Gerrard (M/AMRC) - 2 months (hip injury)

Other teams to watch:

Fulham (3rd) - the Cottagers remain in the top four and sit ahead of clubs like Chelsea and Manchester City!

Aston Villa (6th) - the Villains keep their surprisingly high league position.

Everton and West Brom are just two points over the bottom three.

Norwich, West Ham and Hull are under the line as it stands but have managed to remain close to those above.

October Player of the Month:
Rickie Lambert (Southampton)
View attachment 451567

October Young Player of the Month:
Ben Davies (Swansea)
View attachment 451568

October Manager of the Month:
David Moyes (Manchester United)
View attachment 451565

Leading Goalscorers:
View attachment 451570

Stay tuned for another round of Mark Lawrenson predictions before the next weekend of Premier League games!

View attachment 451541

Premier League predictions: Lawro v Darcey Bussell

BBC Sport's football expert Mark Lawrenson is pitting his wits against a different guest each week this season.

This week he takes on former British ballerina and Tottenham fan Darcey Bussell. Darcey is widely acclaimed as one of the great British ballerinas. Since retiring from ballet in 2007, she has continued to be very committed to the world of dance. In 2012 she became the President of the Royal Academy of Dance.

View attachment 451537
Lawro vs Tottenham fan Darcey

A correct result is worth ONE point. A correct score earns THREE points.

Swansea - Manchester City
Darcey Bussell: The best are unstoppable when chasing their targets. Resilience and determination from the away team will result in victory. 0-2.
Mark Lawrenson: I still expect the Citizens to be a little shaky in away games so I'll go for an upset here. 1-1.

Arsenal - West Ham
Darcey Bussell: London derby for the misfiring Gunners - will be tricky. 1-1.
Mark Lawrenson: Wenger knows how to get his players out of this crisis and West Ham are in the bottom three for a reason. 2-0.

Chelsea - Hull
Darcey Bussell: Easy game for Chelsea. 3-0.
Mark Lawrenson: I don't expect any fireworks here either. 4-2.

Manchester United - Crystal Palace
Darcey Bussell: Another easy game, Manchester United are too good. 4-0.
Mark Lawrenson: I suspect the number of injuries will prevent the Red Devils from being as convincing as usual but they should still have enough to win this. 3-2.

Newcastle - Cardiff

Darcey Bussell: Punching above your level is admirable and will go on for Newcastle at least one more game. 3-0.
Mark Lawrenson: I don't date predicting a surprise here. While a slip up for the Magpies is well due it is more likely to come in an away game. 4-2.

Aston Villa - Tottenham
Darcey Bussell: Hard game as Villa are above us in the table but we must use it to climb over them. 1-2.
Mark Lawrenson: Spurs will find it tough at Villa Park and I'm not sure they are going to get the three points there. 2-2.

Liverpool - Everton
Darcey Bussell: Fierce derby between relegation mired teams... Should be even. 1-1.
Mark Lawrenson: I think Liverpool will be above Everton come the final whistle. For that to happen they will need to do something uncharacteristic for them this season - win. But I'll go with the home side anyway. 3-1.

Last week, Lawro got four results right, with two perfect scores. His score of 8 was good enough to beat the predictions of Manchester City fan Marsha Thomason, who managed three correct results with one perfect score.

Total scores after Week Nine
Lawro: 31
Guests: 26

Piers Morgan @piersmorgan what a tool @ Marseilles can youiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiie 1m

Surely Wenger HAS to resign after this game? #Arsenal #WHUFC

Expand

Paris Hilton @ParisHilton what a tool @ Marseilles can youiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii--ii---iiie 1m

How much did Eto'o cost again? Flying to London to throw world class party for
world class player #CFC #HCAFC

Expand

to be fair, the amount of detail is amazing! but hey... haters gona hate.

you must live on this game lol

View attachment 451459
Premier League
Round 10

Saturday 2nd November 2013:

Swansea - Manchester City 0-4
Navas (13, 90), Negredo (79), Kolarov (85)
View attachment 451458View attachment 451457

Arsenal - West Ham 0-0
View attachment 451456View attachment 451455

Chelsea - Hull 5-1
Eto'o (2, 25, 71), Willian (38), Essien (41);
Graham (57)

View attachment 451453View attachment 451452

Manchester United - Crystal Palace 2-0
Rooney (40), Fletcher (46)

View attachment 451451View attachment 451450

Sunday 3rd November 2013:

Newcastle - Cardiff 5-0
Baines (5), Remy (9, 51, 65), Salvio (26)
View attachment 451449View attachment 451448

Aston Villa - Tottenham 2-1
Agbonlahor (50), Lowton (67); Soldado (39), Sandro sent off (65)
View attachment 451447View attachment 451446

Monday 4th November 2013:

Liverpool - Everton 0-0
View attachment 451445View attachment 451444

League Table:

View attachment 451443

Stay with Match of the Day for pundit analysis, manager interview specials and many more!

to be fair, the amount of detail is amazing! but hey... haters gona hate.

you must live on this game lol

I take it it's picking up negative feedback then... I shall reconsider continuing it if that's the case :(

I take it it's picking up negative feedback then... I shall reconsider continuing it if that's the case :(

i only saw the one on i think page27?

most people love your stories. so dont let the minority stop you!

that haters gona hate thing is just a saying :)

i only saw the one on i think page27?

most people love your stories. so dont let the minority stop you!

that haters gona hate thing is just a saying :)

It's not that, mate, I draw my conclusions at larger context. Instead of interacting people stopped even coming by to drop comments, and it has been a while since any articles picked up even a like which only takes one click.

Back