Blasphemy! Seven clubs lock horns for the title after sir Alex Ferguson's retirement!

• Thread starter Thread starter KevinHann
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 373K
View attachment 454915
View attachment 454914
Premier League 2013/14
Round 1

Gary Lineker: Good evening and welcome to Match of the Day for our first thoughts on the brand new Premier League season! I will be your host after each round of games and Alan Shearer and Alan Hansen will assist me as we provide fresh post-match analysis on the seven clubs we have highlighted this season.
Alan Hansen: We will also show you some interview specials with the managers right after the games, as well as occasional player profiles.
Alan Shearer: And finally, but not at last place, you will be updated with the latest news on injuries, dressing room events or even rumours surrounding your favourite clubs.
Gary Lineker: So are you ready? What really happened in the opening weekend of world's best league? Here we go...

Chelsea - Liverpool
2-1
View attachment 454913

Gary Lineker: We just have to start with the game at the Bridge. The return of the Special One to England against the pragmatic but heavy working Brendan Rodgers in what is the very first title contenders clash for the season! Chelsea emerged victorious after a second half turnaround, including a late, late winner by Eto'o. Was that result just or Liverpool can feel hard done?
Alan Hansen: Sadly football ain't about what's just. Liverpool had a great first half but Brendan Rodgers made a mistake by letting the lads stay too deep after the break. A Chelsea side really have players who can harm you when you let them play the ball in your final third. Additionally, Liverpool faded away on the hour mark and that's when Chelsea got the equalizer. I think Rodgers has a lot of work to do on the physical prep.
Alan Shearer: We should highlight the debut of Matuidi, he was a rock in midfield for the Reds and truly unfortunate to get booked in the first half as that restricted his aggression which was really troubling Chelsea to hold the ball. David Luiz had a good game for the Blues and while Eto'o got the winner the never aging captain Frank Lampard deservedly got the PoM award.
Gary Lineker: Let's see what the managers had to say after the game!

Reporter: How did that second debut game feel?
Jose Mourinho: It was a great game, great win against a great club.
Reporter: What are your thoughts on the performance today?
Jose Mourinho: The players never gave up but it was the fans who got us the strength to go on looking for a winner, Samuel will agree with me here, our great fans got us a vital win here.

Reporter: Not the perfect start after you had the lead for so long. This must be a real disappointment for you.
Brendan Rodgers: We had to dig deep but I felt we had done enough to get away with a point, which would have been a good result and a fair result. The lads are devastated in the dressing room.
Reporter: There were visible fatigue issues in the second half. In hindsight don't you think you could have subbed Gerrard a little earlier?
Brendan Rodgers: Stevie is our captain and he is vital for such games, there was no way I was going to take him off. It just wasn't our day but we will be working hard and look to bounce back the next game!

Gary Lineker: Mourinho got to a dream start here and he really feels fish in the water at Stamford Bridge.
Alan Hansen: He has the fans behind him and that wasn't the case at Real Madrid. That was the difference.
Alan Shearer: There weren't any injuries or suspensions after this game so let's move on.

Arsenal - Swansea
4-1
View attachment 454898

Gary Lineker: Swansea were the pleasant surprise last season and many expected they could cause an upset here after buying well in the summer and having played competitive games already. It didn't work out that way as the positive energy at the Emirates helped Arsenal smash them. Was the scoreline reflect what we saw on the pitch though?
Alan Hansen: Absolutely. Swansea were trying to hang in the game after Chico pulled one back near the hour mark but fell apart in the final minutes. Arsenal are very sharp, they looked confident and aware they can score goals at any point in their matches. This is something we will be seeing them do a lot this season, murder teams on the break.
Alan Shearer: I think Giroud was awesome today after some heavy criticism recently. He scored and assisted, Walcott and Podolski also did well to come off the bench and get a late goal each. Despite conceding, Szczesny was very solid in goal and Sagna left his lungs on that pitch, grabbing a completely deserved PoM award.
Gary Lineker: Let's see what Arsene Wenger had to say after the game!

Reporter: Comfortable home start and the team looks very impressive, is this what you have been lacking in recent seasons? Strong starts?
Arsene Wenger: We have been stronger in the latter stages of the campaign but we are working towards a more balanced performance, yes.
Reporter: Mesut Ozil didn't really impress in his debut before going off for Podolski. Should the fans get worried?
Arsene Wenger: Why? It is his first game in a different league with a team he hasn't trained with much. It doesn't concern me and Poldi got a goal when he came on. Let's focus on the positives.

Gary Lineker: Wenger shielded his record purchase from early criticism but if Ozil fails to impress come September, it may be problems in the Arsenal dressing room.
Alan Hansen: We should note that his very presence lifted the entire team though and the ground was buzzing. Arsenal have too many quality players and Ozil often stays in the shadows, letting them shine. Plus I thought he was okay, not special but certainly not bad!
Alan Shearer: There weren't any injuries or suspensions after this game so let's move on.

Crystal Palace - Manchester City
2-1
View attachment 454891

Gary Lineker: Wow! That's as shocking as it gets! After all the noises and the arrival of a top manager, the Citizens fail to defend an early lead and collapse in the very first week of the season! New recruit Mike Williamson quickly negated the early Negredo goal in an explosive start of the game, before Joel Ward gave Palace the lead just after the break. Manchester City were unable to get back in the game despite playing against ten men in the final minutes after Jack Hunt was sent off for a second yellow. Credit to Palace!
Alan Hansen: I didn't see that one coming, even when Palace got a quick equalizer. I was always waiting for that City breakthrough when the hosts wear off enthusiasm but it never came. City dominated possession and had a number of chances but were ultimately unable to convert them and paid the price.
Alan Shearer: To be fair despite the debut goal Negredo didn't do much in that game and Aguero should be to blame as he missed a number of chances. The only City players who can walk out of this game with heads up are Gael Clichy and David Silva.
Gary Lineker: Let's see what Manuel Pellegrini had to say after the game!

Reporter: A rough start, Mr. Pellegrini! Would you say the honeymoon is now over?
Manuel Pellegrini: We knew it would be a tough game against a side wanting to impress their home fans in their first Premier League game after promotion. But we couldn't carry the intensity we wanted and our last touch in the final third was a little slow. We started okay but then pulled a gear down and never picked it up.
Reporter: It is even more awkward considering Palace held your star attack at bay even when they were down to ten men?
Manuel Pellegrini: It would have been harsh on them to concede at that stage as I felt they defended well. We have to be honest to ourselves and admit we weren't good enough today. So that we can get it right tomorrow.

Gary Lineker: Pellegrini was philosophic at this defeat but he can't really afford another wrong step and must get his troops going in away games if he wants to mount a serious title challenge. Otherwise City will be left empty handed again.
Alan Hansen: What I noticed is he picked to spread the blame around the entire team and didn't single anyone out for criticism. He is trying to get the players to feel as a team rather than a group of highly talented individuals but that can easily backfire as they are under heavy pressure to produce results.
Alan Shearer: City fans were worried when Sergio Aguero had to go out on the hour mark after a tough clash with a Palace player but news from the club is he has a slightly bruised rib and should be okay for the next weekend.

Manchester United - Stoke
1-1
View attachment 454872

Gary Lineker: Champions Manchester United were also unable to get on a winning league start under new manager David Moyes - what a bad day for Manchester! The Red Devils went behind when Huth scored a typical set piece goal but Tom Cleverley quickly got the hosts back on level terms. Old Trafford went increasingly noisy as the game wore off but it was deafening silence at the full time whistle - 1:1!
Alan Hansen: I think Manchester United were surprised by Stoke's bold attempt to put the ball down and play some actual football. I haven't seen them concede so many chances there recently, their defense looked vulnerable at times. I was also shocked to see Stoke have only committed 6 fouls to Manchester United's 24! And even then they won the midfield battle and held the ball for a respectable portion of time. A point is no less than they deserved.
Alan Shearer: There weren't any good performances in red shirts. I can only highlight the fullbacks Evra and Fabio were poor, Giggs and Kagawa failed to control the midfield or bring anything creative and Ashley Young was a disgrace as usual. Phil Jones also had a particularly poor game when he came on in the second half.
Gary Lineker: Let's see what David Moyes had to say after the game!

Reporter: Despite anticipation for a big win today, you couldn't deliver and the fans were disappointed.
David Moyes: We should have done better. We didn't manage their physicality and had to commit a lot of fouls which broke down the fluency of our game. And that worked well for Stoke.
Reporter: There was considerable criticism you started Fabio over Smalling and brought in Macheda when Chicharito was on the bench?
David Moyes: I picked my team based on what I saw on the training ground and my plan for the game. Don't think there is anything I need to explain further than that. As for Chicharito this simply wasn't the kind of game to exploit his qualities.

Gary Lineker: Well a single game and he's already under attack! Manchester United need a winning start desperately or this could get messy!
Alan Hansen: I feel there is a degree of sense in that criticism though. It seems as if Moyes still doesn't truly know his players and is making some mistakes in the process. There may be further inconsistency in the champions over the coming month or two.

Newcastle - Southampton
4-4
View attachment 454865

Gary Lineker: After plenty of turmoil at Tyneside many didn't quite know what to expect from Newcastle. One thing seemed certain - there would be goals in this game. And so it was! Saint James' Park witnessed a true spectacle which saw Newcastle take the lead through a Boruc own goal before Southampton went riot and turn it to 1-3 thanks to Wanyama, Ramirez and Osvaldo goals. The hosts didn't give up and pulled back to level terms as Gouffran and Landon Donovan found the net and just when the Geordies were expecting a complete turnaround, Benayoun pulled the Saints ahead in the final minutes. This wasn't all though as a Leighton Baines free kick special once again leveled the score. There were even further attempts but none of the teams got a fifth. Final score 4-4!
Alan Hansen: It was a mad game and a joy to watch as there were a lot of chances both ways. None of the teams managed to dominate it but there were a lot of mistakes, too. I feel Southampton could be a little more disappointed considering they had the lead at 3-1 and 4-3 but Newcastle somehow survived. The Magpies were extremely uncomfortable with the formation played and didn't seem to understand what is being asked of them.
Alan Shearer: In terms of performances Debuchy was the most impressive Newcastle player on the pitch and I must also highlight Yoan Gouffran who played a key role when introduced at the break by getting a goal and assisting for another.
Gary Lineker: Let's see what Dimiter Hristov had to say after the game!

Reporter: You must wonder how you didn't lose that game even though Southampton manager Pochettino said your late equalizer was completely deserved and he has no grudges.
Dimiter Hristov: On the contrary, we kept looking for goals and you shall remember that even after the Baines free kick equalizer we had one or two excellent chances to wrap up the game. I have to admit it would have been very harsh on our visitors today though as they weren't afraid to take the gauntlet and attack. Spectacles take two teams and we had a good opponent today.
Reporter: There is some heavy criticism going on in the social media: a number of your new signings didn't make it to the starting lineup and your team looked very disjointed. Your response?
Dimiter Hristov: We do need time as a group to get used to the philosophy I am putting in place. I didn't really have a full pre-season to work with the team and some of the new arrivals need a few months to bed in. That being said, we still showed great attacking intent, we scored four goals and there was amazing character to get back in the game disregarding the score. I think if you criticize you should be fair enough to point the positives as well.

Gary Lineker: The young manager stands his ground and it's amazing how he seems immune to whatever they throw his way. This may be his shell at the moment but if results don't go his way he will quickly be branded arrogant.
Alan Hansen: To his credit he is giving the fans what they want - entertaining football. That cannot and must not cover for the financial risks he took as it can easily wipe the club out!
Alan Shearer: On another note Papiss Cisse limped off at half time after a clash in the air and has suffered a strained neck. He will miss out the next couple of games for Newcastle.

West Ham -
Tottenham
3-2
View attachment 454852

Gary Lineker: There is another team that could have used a longer pre-season. Spurs looked a side still blending despite the undoubted quality in their ranks and went down to hard working West Ham. Matt Jarvis and forgotten England hero Emile Heskey got the Hammers comfortable lead at half time and despite early glimmer of hope for Spurs with an early Dawson goal after the break Heskey grabbed his second for the night to kill off any hopes of a comeback. Kyle Walker got on the scoresheet for Tottenham near the end to make it interesting and Spurs went all-out but failed to get an equalizer.
Alan Hansen: This was a game where Spurs kept on creating chances while West Ham got the goals. Home advantage made the difference in a game Tottenham could have easily slaughtered their hosts.
Alan Shearer: Despite this there were only two barely decent performances for Tottenham in that match - captain Michael Dawson and Mousa Dembele. All the others on the pitch disappointed for them.
Gary Lineker: Let's see what Andre Villas-Boas had to say after the game!

Reporter: You created dozens of chances and yet managed to lose the game. Why?
Andre Villas-Boas: We were punished for lapses in defense. West Ham took full advantage and got their goals at crucial times of the game. I am still pleased with the effort by the players. Our team will only get better as we gel in weeks to come.
Reporter: There is comprehensive strength in depth in your team as suggested by the bench you named tonight. Even then your substitutions failed to change the game.
Andre Villas-Boas: That is only partially true. Paulinho had a good game and created our second goal. I think Lamela and Townsend also looked sharp but were unlucky with the chances they had to score.

Gary Lineker: Villas-Boas needs time and that is even more evident from what we saw at Boleyn Ground. Question is will it be too late when Tottenham get up to full speed?
Alan Hansen: Andre is trying to ease his new players to the team and a tough away game was hardly the best place to field them. I think Spurs will look much different at home.
Alan Shearer: Especially as they picked up no injuries or suspensions in that game.

That is all from this edition of Match of the Day! Watch out for the newspaper columns of our regular pundits to find out their take of the games. And do not forget there is a midweek title contenders clash coming up as Chelsea have their visit to Newcastle pulled early because of their European Super Cup game!

Last edited:
That match looked? eventful.

Also, I wish I had remembered a while ago, you could have gotten Leandro Damiao for about 5 million, who would have been really good for you as the complete forward in your tactic.

I had Damiao in my shortlist, mate, but he didn't seem like a player able to justify the price so I went for Donovan instead.

He more than justifies 5 mil.. bear that in mind for Jan :)

Excellent stuff. almost been busted reading this at work.. :p

He more than justifies 5 mil.. bear that in mind for Jan :)

Excellent stuff. almost been busted reading this at work.. :p

He would have cost me around 10.5 million overall mate, and I really didn't see him as much better alternative to Loic Remy while Donovan could play on both wings if needed. I shall be looking for bigger fish than Damiao when I get the chance to do so.

Don't know if I'll have anything to spend come January after this massive outlay in the summer!

Hugh Laurie @hughlaurie what a tool @ Marseilles can -u--------------e 1m

Hope nobody bet their house on Lawro's predictions! If you bet it on mine I
expect 50% of the profit though!

Expand

awsome story mate you have knack for the story telling thinking of going back and reading your fm13 story loveing this so far

Mourinho needs to carry Chelsea momentum to smaller clubs for title
View attachment 454829
Tony Cascarino Commentary
Last updated at 11:51PM, August 19 2013

Stamford Bridge was set for an emotional evening as the Special One, Jose Mourinho returned to the club. He is still the same controversial fighter and yet years of experience in Italy and Spain have added to his persona. As Liverpool was slowly but convincingly strangled we could witness how much Chelsea missed Mou and how much Mou missed the Blues and England. Eto'o scored a dramatic last-gasp winner and the Bridge erupted - the Special One was back...

View attachment 454813
The Bridge gave Mou a warm welcome

The emotionality of this clash is exactly what Mourinho needs to forget very quickly if he is to transform Chelsea to the dominant force in the league they were during his first reign. The Blues don't have that much of a problem turning up for the big games and Liverpool is a big club, as Jose himself stated at his post match press conference. It is the little clubs Chelsea waste points against. The Premier League is as competitive as ever this season so ability to string four, five or eight consecutive wins will easily make the difference. Especially with so many of the big clubs struggling to find their feet after major changes during the summer.

View attachment 454812
Magpies bogey team for the Blues

The real challenge for Mourinho and his troops starts this Wednesday with an unpredictable trip to Saint James' Park. This is exactly the kind of game that will show us where Chelsea are. Newcastle showed incredible willingness to open up the play and attack, attack, attack disregarding how many they may concede. This is the type of game Mourinho would like to avoid as the manager prefers to dull the opposition's enthusiasm, absorb it and strike lethally to break them down. With Newcastle that may not be enough. It is also worth mentioning the Magpies away are one of the bogey games for Chelsea in recent history and the Blues must be on the guard to avoid another banana skin ruining what could be a flawless start to the campaign.

awsome story mate you have knack for the story telling thinking of going back and reading your fm13 story loveing this so far

Ah the FM13 story was so... long :)
Thank you! Loving it every time the casual reader drops by and tries to interact with the story.

Lee Dixon: Palace lessons must be learned
View attachment 454809
LEE DIXON Monday 19 August 2013
Manchester City lost. They went down to an honest, hard working Crystal Palace team everyone expects to go down this season. It was a heavy slap in the face for Manuel Pellegrini and his expensively assembled team of stars. It was nearly the same we used to see under the previous manager. It was too soon to lose, too soon to put the title credentials at doubt. But most importantly it was a missed opportunity to make the most of nearly all other contenders, including champions Manchester United failing in the opening weekend of the Premier League.

View attachment 454792
You are not invincible!

Pellegrini is an excellent manager and the board made it clear the club should be focusing on the Champions League this season. That is a good thing but the Citizens must not be arrogant to think their position in the top four is cemented. This is why the lesson of the Crystal Palace game must be learned and the result has to haunt Pellegrini until the last week of the race. Because this is the Premier League - the most underdog team, the relegation bound crew can take you and beat you no matter how much you spend. It can wipe the floor with you even if down to ten men.

View attachment 454790
Underdogs a different breed in EPL

The last thing Manchester City need this season is another away game syndrome. This is why I hope Pellegrini addresses this issue as soon as possible and doesn't sacrifice any effort in order to preserve the players for the Champions League. If he goes down that path this season may end in major disappointment.

View attachment 454789
Premier League
Early fixture

Wednesday 21st August 2013:

Title Contenders Clash
View attachment 454788
Newcastle - Chelsea

2' 0-1 Eto'o
10' 1-1 Ben Arfa (pen)
26' Mata (C)
booked
26' Oscar (C) booked
31' 2-1 Sissoko
43' Santon (N)
booked
44' 3-1 Ben Arfa
Half Time
56' 3-2 Lampard
59' Ramires (C)
booked
70' 4-2 Gouffran
77' Anita (N)
booked
Full Time

Final Score
Newcastle - Chelsea 4-2
View attachment 454784View attachment 454783View attachment 454782

League Table:

View attachment 454781

Newcastle strike lucky as Hristov quietly sends two youngsters on loan

View attachment 454778
Rob Lee
Published at 11:51PM, August 21 2013

Newcastle managed a shock 4-2 win against a strong but tired Chelsea in a night of great entertainment at Saint James' Park. Hatem Ben Arfa was simply unstoppable and bagged a brace while the Blues never really got going. The result flatters to deceive though as the Magpies were carved open a number of times and could have lost badly on another night. But let's not be overly critical as this is certainly a game to cherish and the result could have been even more convincing as we also hit woodwork twice in the second half.

View attachment 454769
Cerri sent to Doncaster

Just after the game the press office announced Newcastle have sent two young players out on loan. Alberto Cerri (17), a summer arrival, has been sent to Doncaster and will spend the entire season there. Newcastle will receive 45,000 pounds monthly fees for the duration of the loan.

View attachment 454770
Sammy leaves for Leicester

Young winger Sammy Ameobi (21) has also left the club on a season-long loan to Leicester in exchange of a 3,000 pounds monthly fee. The deal includes a full transfer set fee clause of 1.1 million pounds.

View attachment 454767

Premier League predictions: Lawro v Liam Gallagher

BBC Sport's football expert Mark Lawrenson is pitting his wits against a different guest each week this season.

This week he takes on Liam Gallagher, the frontman of the band Beady Eye, a Manchester City fan and formerly one of the two frontmen of one of the most prominent Britpop bands - Oasis. Gallagher's erratic behaviour, distinctive singing style, and abrasive attitude have been the subject of commentary in the press. He remains one of the most recognisable figures in modern British music.

View attachment 454765
Lawro vs Man City fan Liam

A correct result is worth ONE point. A correct score earns THREE points.

Southampton - Manchester United
Liam Gallagher: Manchester United is a decent team... nah, just kidding. 3-0. Easily.
Mark Lawrenson: It will be a tough game for Moyes after struggling at home with Stoke. There is no way for retreat for the Red Devils though and they will turn the world to get a win. 1-2.

Liverpool - Newcastle
Liam Gallagher: There can only be one score in this game. 4-3.
Mark Lawrenson: I really don't know what to make of Newcastle yet. They are playing extremely open-minded football which will get them slaughtered somewhere and Anfield might just be that place. 5-1.

Manchester City - Cardiff
Liam Gallagher: No way we will drop points to a second promoted team. Respect to Wales but this will be a massacre. 5-0.
Mark Lawrenson: The Citizens will be looking to make it up to the fans and while they may struggle to find consistent form in away games, they should be unstoppable at home. 4-1.

Stoke - Arsenal
Liam Gallagher: We all know Manchester United are hardly any criteria but Stoke were impressive in the first game at Old Trafford. This combined with home advantage may add up to another surprise. 2-1.
Mark Lawrenson: Stoke are relatively uncomfortable opposition to Arsenal but the Gunners are a different team this season and I am not sure they will be exposed in this game. 1-3.

Norwich - Chelsea
Liam Gallagher: Can't see Mourinho lose two in a row, as much as I want it to happen. 0-2.
Mark Lawrenson: Chelsea are having their third game in a week and despite rotations the trip to Newcastle made them look tired. Considering this is another away game it could take its toll on the Blues. 1-1.

Tottenham - Crystal Palace
Liam Gallagher: Man, if they can beat us, Palace are a force. 1-2.
Mark Lawrenson: Spurs should win these home games with relative ease despite lack of team chemistry. 4-0.

Last week, Lawro got zero results right, with no perfect scores. His score of 0 was not enough to stop Arsenal fan Hugh Laurie waltzing off with a win, with the comedian scoring 6 thanks to his four correct results, including one perfect score.

Total scores after Week One
Lawro: 0
Guests: 6

View attachment 454744
Premier League
Round 2

Saturday 24th August 2013:

Title Contenders Clash
View attachment 454743
Liverpool -
Newcastle

12' 0-1 Donovan
20' Debuchy (N)
booked
Half Time

59' 1-1 Krul o.g.
63' 1-2 Salvio
Full Time

Final score

Liverpool - Newcastle 1-2
View attachment 454742View attachment 454741View attachment 454740

Stoke - Arsenal 2-1
Arnautovic (31), Cameron (33); Cazorla (6)

View attachment 454737View attachment 454736

Manchester City - Cardiff 0-0
View attachment 454735View attachment 454734

Southampton - Manchester United 0-1
Vidic (86)
View attachment 454733View attachment 454732

Norwich - Chelsea 1-2
van Wolfswinkel (29); Eto'o (11), Willian (72)
View attachment 454731View attachment 454730

Sunday 25th August 2013:

Tottenham - Crystal Palace 4-0
Dembele (49, 76), Sandro (78), Defoe (81)
View attachment 454729View attachment 454728

League Table:

View attachment 454727

Stay with Match of the Day for pundit analysis, manager interview specials and many more!

Last edited:
View attachment 454720
View attachment 454719
Premier League 2013/14
Round 2

Gary Lineker: Good evening and welcome to Match of the Day for our thoughts on the second round of the Premier League season! I will be your host after each round of games and Alan Shearer and Alan Hansen will assist me as we provide fresh post-match analysis on the seven clubs we have highlighted this season.
Alan Hansen: We will also show you some interview specials with the managers right after the games, as well as occasional player profiles.
Alan Shearer: And finally, but not at last place, you will be updated with the latest news on injuries, dressing room events or even rumours surrounding your favourite clubs.
Gary Lineker: So are you ready? What really happened in the opening weekend of world's best league? Here we go...

Liverpool - Newcastle
View attachment 454718

Gary Lineker: Make what you wish of it, but Liverpool are off to a poor start after losing two contender derbies in a row! Newcastle are on the other pole despite pre-season havoc and top the table after mid-week success over another contender... The Magpies were off to a good start thanks to an early Landon Donovan goal. Liverpool came back fighting after the break and created numerous chances in the first 15 minutes of that period, which ultimately lead to a deserved equalizer when Tim Krul sent the ball in his own net under heavy pressure when he was trying to make a clearance following a backpass. Everyone at Anfield was expecting Liverpool to go on and win it but it was the Magpies with another quick goal from left winger Salvio. The Reds tried to get back again but their attacks were never as sharp after this and Newcastle held off for a very valuable away win in a game which saw their hosts strike the woodwork no less than the amazing three times! Perhaps it is time to start considering Newcastle's chances more seriously?
Alan Hansen: That would be a rushed conclusion, I think. Yes, Newcastle showed incredible grit but they were amazingly lucky in this particular game and I honestly have no idea how they survived. On the other hand Liverpool threw it all in the second half but faded again on the hour mark and this is becoming a serious issue. Brendan Rodgers can have no excuses as we should have been much fresher than the opposition considering they played a midweek game.
Alan Shearer: There were some key individual performances which back up the result though. None of the Liverpool players stood out as Aspas was ultimately unable to spearhead their attacks and was completely isolated. Glen Johnson was particularly susceptible at the back and Jordan Henderson was disappointing when introduced at half time to revitalize the midfield. On the other hand Newcastle center backs Balanta and Zouma were very solid and goalkeeper Krul had a great game - I thought he was very unlucky to concede an own goal given that performance. Donovan put in the usual hard working shift but Salvio was largely influential and deservedly grabbed the PoM award.
Gary Lineker: Let's see what the managers had to say after the game!

Reporter: Your team appeared more likely to win today after the equalizer and yet you somehow lost! How did that happen?!
Brendan Rodgers: I think everybody saw we deserved something from the game. It wouldn't have been unfair to get the win but losing was absolutely devastating!
Reporter: We couldn't help but notice your midfield was low on energy in the closing stages of the match. Is there an issue with fitness?
Brendan Rodgers: I don't think it was about fitness as much as morale. We were way too wasteful in front of goal and conceded the second goal in a very poor psychological moment. But we also hit the woodwork four or five times - what more could we have done? I am not happy with Aspas leading the attack as he isn't comfortable alone up front but we had to put Sturridge on the flank to exploit Newcastle's poor defensive cover of the wings... It brought us a number of chances which we just couldn't put in.

Reporter: Second big win in a row and top of the league table - you are off a great start to your Newcastle manager career, congratulations! A lot of people will be wondering how you pulled this result though?
Dimiter Hristov: We had our share of luck today as our second goal really hurt Liverpool and perhaps they were a little unfortunate with the woodwork and stuff. But we were due some of that luck as we did the same against Chelsea in Wednesday. We get a lot of criticism for the formation we are employing but you saw today we can defend well when needed - I think our defense were amazing!
Reporter: We know your financial situation dictates to attack a top four position. Does that pressure help or it may harm your morale when the going gets rough?
Dimiter Hristov: The players are not concerned with off the field issues. All they want is to go out and win games, and all I want from them is to enjoy their football. As long as this is happening the sky is the limit.

Gary Lineker: I can sense Rodgers cannot wait for Suarez to return and Aspas may struggle to find a place in the first team after that.
Alan Hansen: As for Newcastle we need to point out Gouffran had a miserable game and may lose his place when Remy and Cisse are back to full fitness.
Alan Shearer: Liverpool fans will be relieved to hear that Steven Gerrard, who was struggling with a knock at full time whistle, was passed fit after medical examination and will be fine for the next game.

Stoke - Arsenal
2-1
View attachment 454713

Gary Lineker: This was always going to be a tough game for Arsenal but the Gunners seemed in control when Cazorla broke the deadlock just after six minutes. Stoke got an amazing comeback with Arnautovic and Cameron goals in the space of just 3 minutes and then held off in the second half for a big scalp.
Alan Hansen: It was a fairly even game and Arsenal should have done more to get a point off their hosts. I feel Wenger was a bit late with the subs in the second half and that probably affected their chances.
Alan Shearer: Club captain Vermaelen had a terrible game for Arsenal and I honestly don't know why Wenger didn't take him off earlier. Flamini gave Stoke's midfielders a real fight but was often outnumbered. Cazorla is perhaps the only Arsenal player to save face in this game. There weren't any injuries or suspensions after this game so let's move on.

Manchester City - Cardiff
0-0
View attachment 454697

Gary Lineker: City were considered the most serious rival to challenge Manchester United for the title but they are finding it hard to get going. When you start against two promoted teams and have only a single point to show for there is something wrong. Aguero had a number of chances to win this game for the Citizens but didn't take any of them and Cardiff walked away with a valuable point.
Alan Hansen: I feel Pellegrini put too much faith on Aguero for this game as the striker was lacking in the fitness department after recovering from a knock. That should be no excuse considering the attacking threat City have in all areas. They simply couldn't get anyone else in shooting positions and became predictable. On the other hand Cardiff were up for the fight and the five yellow cards they picked up were a low cost for stopping City's usual flow.
Alan Shearer: Yaya Toure was the only City midfielder to make a good impression although none of his long shots was on target. Lescott picked up the PoM award after stopping a number of dangerous Cardiff counter-attacks. On top of it Zabaleta fell awkwardly on his elbow and is now out for about two weeks.

Southampton - Manchester United
0-1
View attachment 454696

Gary Lineker: No such problems for the champions as they got their first win for the season in a tough game away at Southampton. They had to sweat for it but captain Nemanja Vidic managed to grab a late winner when the hosts were beginning to think they have done enough to share the spoils.
Alan Hansen: The Red Devils showed the hunger that brought them so many titles under sir Alex - on another day this would have been a dull 0-0 draw. David Moyes may need to worry about the lack of chances up front but as long as they get the points it is alright. This away win will build up their confidence and we may see them back on top of their game soon.
Alan Shearer: Vidic picked up the PoM award after a dominant performance but we need to underline the great work by De Gea and Evans who contributed for a clean sheet here. There weren't any injuries or suspensions after this game so let's move on.

Norwich - Chelsea
1-2
View attachment 454692

Gary Lineker: Chelsea needed to get back on track after the shock loss and poor performance at Newcastle and they did just that. Eto'o continued his fine form and even though van Wolfswinkel put the Canaries on level terms Willian secured the three points with a second half strike. Chelsea completely dominated the game and probably should have won by a bigger margin.
Alan Hansen: You can say that again! Norwich were limited in possession and only managed three shots for the entire game. The Blues were shooting right, left and center and it could have been four or five!
Alan Shearer: The real hero for Chelsea was Juan Mata. He pulled the strings and assisted for both goals despite taking a lot of kicks from the aggressive Norwich midfielders. The hosts committed a large number of fouls and Samuel Eto'o picked up a bruised rib which will see him miss a few days of training although he should be fine for the next league game.

Tottenham - Crystal Palace
4-0
View attachment 454689

Gary Lineker: Spurs seemed on way for more trouble as the half time whistle at White Hart Lane came with the scoreline sitting at bore 0-0. They came back full of intent after the break though and Dembele scored a brace before Sandro and Defoe completed the rout. Palace tried to play some football and were dearly punished.
Alan Hansen: I think Holloway should have picked a more defensive approach for this visit as Spurs only got the better of Palace when the visitors opened the game looking for a winner. Credit has to go to Andre Villas-Boas for his pep talk at half time as it transformed his team.
Alan Shearer: The goalscorers were the obvious highlights in the Tottenham team, Dembele picking up the PoM award. Other than that all of their defensive players impressed and held off for a good clean sheet. Spurs also preserved all their players from injuries or suspensions.

That is all from this edition of Match of the Day! Watch out for the newspaper columns of our regular pundits to find out their take of the games.

Last edited:
How do you churn out these brilliant updates so impossibly quickly!? Good results so far, keep it up! :)

How do you churn out these brilliant updates so impossibly quickly!? Good results so far, keep it up! :)

Thanks, mate! I just type them down as they come, it's hardly impossible :)
Yes, the away win at Pool surprised me, got lucky there!

View attachment 454614

Inconsistency returns at Arsenal
Wenger sanctions South Korean move to Bordeaux

View attachment 454612
Gunners need to nail down persistent performances

View attachment 454613
By Alan Smith
10:01PM GMT 25 Aug 2013

Arsenal entered the new season on a high. The transfer of Mesut Ozil lifted the doubts the club cannot compete on the market and backed the chances to compete on the pitch. As a matter of fact we weren't that much behind even without the German but poor starts have cost us a lot in recent seasons and limited the targets to a top four position. This summer promised more. We now have a squad only a player or two short of the very best in the league. If we can avoid the usual 54643 injuries that so persistently follow the squad, we should engage a serious title challenge. If Wenger instills consistency.

View attachment 419547
Haunted place for Arsenal

The loss at Stoke is not a major reason to beat the drum and the drama queens should be ignored at this stage. We have always found it hard to play them and we won't be the only team to drop points at Britannia. But it must serve as a yellow sign for the manager and the players after the easy start we enjoyed in the opening weekend. Most of the games will not be easy and it only takes three minutes to change a winning position to a losing one, three points to null. Keeping focus over 90 minutes is the most important task at the moment and the sole thing Wenger should pinpoint at the training ground if we are to change the definition of success from "phew, we made it to the Champions League" to "the title is ours".

View attachment 454591
Park Chu-Young only played once for Arsenal

There was some movement on the transfer market as well though it wasn't the striker arrival we all want to see. Arsenal let Park Chu-Young (28) leave the club for Bordeaux for a symbolic fee of 1.4 million pounds. The nomadic striker made only one appearance for us and spent the entire last season on loan at Celta.

Park Chu-Young transfer verdict: 5.5/10 - the South Korean will not be missed at Arsenal and the majority of the fans met the deal with "good riddance" tweets. Arsenal only managed to salvage less than half of the 3.0 million pounds fee they paid Monaco for his services two years ago though.

View attachment 454434

Table of shame - Liverpool the only club yet to make a point
The Reds fail to turn up for big games

View attachment 454432
Captain Gerrard frustrated at nightmare start

View attachment 454433
By Alan Hansen
10:07PM GMT 25 Aug 2013

We were full of praise for Liverpool's wise spending during the summer. Brendan Rodgers made all the right calls and the players made all the right noises and we were generally so fed up with overspending on average players that we probably missed the point of bringing top stars to the squad. Two games into the season the idea of having a balanced squad doesn't seem so good. Liverpool sit bottom of the league table after demonstrating worrying inability to get points in the big games.

View attachment 454428
Team must do better

I will not rush into conclusions here. We have much more to the squad than we saw and the home game against Newcastle should have been won. But I can't turn a blind eye to the fact no other club in the entire division has lost all points on offer. It is true you can't lose your war in August although these first steps are generally considered an important platform to build on and we now don't have it. Why did it happen? Brendan Rodgers bemoaned rough luck seeing Chelsea score a late winner in the first game and Newcastle survive after the combined efforts of Tim Krul and the woodwork saved the Magpies on a number of occasions. But luck comes when you look for it and we have been too tired to do so in the final thirty minutes of both games.

View attachment 454429
Pull Aspas back and let Sturridge lead

Rodgers knows he can't demand more of his newly assembled midfield. Some of those players like Hernanes need time to adapt to the physicality of English football, others like Diame are blending with the teammates and captain Steven Gerrard is no longer 20 to keep running over 90 minutes. The suspension of Suarez has deprived us of much needed energy. As the world class striker is not coming back anytime soon the team needs to prove they can play for each other and get a job done without the superstar. Rodgers can also help by letting Sturridge lead the attacks as the Aspas experiment doesn't bear fruit. But if Aspas and Sturridge can't materialize the team efforts, we are in for a long, long season!

Back