Off-Season

I had conspired with George to surprise mum with a visit this off season. Our parents had moved back to Tamworth shortly after George had signed his first professional contract. The City was too busy for them, too hectic.

I first caught a flight up to Sydney to meet up with George. In my 2 seasons back in Australian football we were yet to face each other on the field. Either I was injured, he was injured or one or both of us were away with our respective national sides. It was all a bit disappointing really. Our flight to Tamworth didn’t leave until the following morning though so we had the night to catch up & swap war stories.

It was nice to see him, he’d grown, not only physically, but as a man.

I was quietly impressed.

He had made a home for himself in Penrith in the far west. It was far enough away from the city to escape the majority of the hussle & bussle but close enough to Parramatta to train & such. He took me to his favourite resteraunt before hitting a little bar for a few quiet beers.

penrith_78688.jpg

For the most part we went unrecognised, bar a few Uni girls who wanted an autograph & to flirt. I felt like a paedophile, these girls wouldn’t be out of their teens yet, but I obliged. Who was I to say no to these pretty little things?

Soon enough a few quiet beers had turned into a binge & by the time morning rocked around we were both quite sick. Thankfully the flight to Tamworth would be short, just long enough to grab some shut eye & rest up before our arrival.

tamworth-welcome1_78688.jpg

Dad met us at the airport, he was clearly happy to see us. Mum was at home, still unaware of our arrival. We hastily threw our bags into Dad’s ute & made for home, their home at least.
We arrived to screaming & hugs, the surprise had worked out quite well. Mum never suspected a thing, she was shocked, close to fainting by the look.

We spent our time in Tamworth quietly, mostly staying at home. We jogged together each morning to maintain some sort of fitness & visited the little club where I had began my career. I took charge of training on occasion, putting some of the youngsters through some drills I had picked up, George mostly hung back & spoke with a few of the older guys.

In all it was a nice little holiday, very relaxing. It was nice to have someone to cook & clean & fuss over me. It had been a while since that had happened.

All too soon though it was over & we were making our way back to our separate lives. We endured a tearful farewell as we boarded the plane back to Sydney. This time there was to be no lay over for me in Penrith. My flight to Melbourne was to leave just an hour after my arrival. George hung around until I boarded, we shook hands “ see you on the pitch bro” he said as I headed to the gate. I nodded

I was back in training for less than a week when the phone rang. It was George, he was excited! It seemed he was off to Italy. A bid had been accepted. It was a big move.

“Sorry bro, looks like we will have to wait for our face off!”

“No worries mate, go! Make me proud! I know you can do it!”

l4IaDPB.jpg

Axqm5T0.jpg

eFNGI0x.jpg

Your brother can develop into a great Ball Winning Defender. Still waiting for your breakout move. You can do it!

Your brother can develop into a great Ball Winning Defender. Still waiting for your breakout move. You can do it!

Approaching my 30th birthday, I think my chance to "break out" may have passed. Too many injuries :'(

I can still live vicariously through George though, he seems to have quite a bright future. Perhaps we will never get the chance to play on the same pitch but maybe one day our paths will collide. Maybe......

Your story reminds me of a regen I have in my most played save.

He started off as a real wonderkid from Greece, but when he got his first transfer (to a huge club) he got knee tendonitis and three years later a broken leg.

He had amazing prospect and I got really sad to witness the fall of a Greek regen.

I'm not revealing any more info, because I was thinking to write a story about it in the forum, in order to introduce myself to the lads. :D

Your story reminds me of a regen I have in my most played save.

He started off as a real wonderkid from Greece, but when he got his first transfer (to a huge club) he got knee tendonitis and three years later a broken leg.

He had amazing prospect and I got really sad to witness the fall of a Greek regen.

I'm not revealing any more info, because I was thinking to write a story about it in the forum, in order to introduce myself to the lads. :D

Sounds great mate, let me know when it starts so I don't miss it!

ahhh man this story gets better and better. Just brilliant mate.

Am I sensing a surprise around the corner?

Couldnt tell you if i wanted too. No control over this part of the story & i havent advanced any further.

I am playing with idea's for the management side of things but without knowing how it all ends.....

Couldnt tell you if i wanted too. No control over this part of the story & i havent advanced any further.

I am playing with idea's for the management side of things but without knowing how it all ends.....

Would be brilliant to see how a managerial career would develop!

Just realised forgot to put up some Screenies for Dilakh2 from the World Cup. Better late than never.

World Cup - Best player (Top 3)

View attachment 243018

View attachment 243017

View attachment 243016

World Cup - Golden Boot

View attachment 243015

World Cup - Best Keeper

View attachment 243014

World Cup - Best Youngster

View attachment 243013

World Player of the Year/Golden Ball

View attachment 243012

European Golden Boy

View attachment 243011

There you go mate, hopefully that is comprehensive enough. ;)

If you combined all of your injuries you really must of lost a couple of seasons football.
Still a great story, and looking forward to more.

If you combined all of your injuries you really must of lost a couple of seasons football.
Still a great story, and looking forward to more.

2015-07-17_00002_78688.jpg

By my count it would be closer to 4 years on the sidelines. That's out of a 13 year career! :S

Thank you mate some real wonder kids in your save. Accidently hit reply with quote, **** touch phone

2015-07-17_00002_78688.jpg

By my count it would be closer to 4 years on the sidelines. That's out of a 13 year career! :S

Wow! Nearly 4 seasons out of 13 that is insane. It could of really of been a 'what if' scenario without them.

An Aussie Abroad

George's Italian Adventure

George's dream move to Italy didn't exactly go to plan.

WS7rD4W.jpg

NpK6kI2.jpg

A meagre 3 first team appearances as the dreaded Lippo curse started in pre-season & failed to relent all year.

SoeghJA.jpg

I found myself almost constantly on the phone consoling my little brother. If there is one thing I understand its how devastating an injury plagued season can be.

Not just physically but mentally as well.

His confidence was shot, his self belief wanning. I tried my best to encourage him, to harden his resolve, to make him believe again. It must of been hard on him. Alone, in a strange land. Unable to speak the language & unable to show what he could do.

To say I understood was perhaps an understatement. I felt for him. It was one thing to have a plague destroy my own career but to think it could also happen to George was heart breaking.

I'll admit to a sense of jealousy when George had first told me of his big move. Why him? Why not me? What I had I done wrong? But now, to hear my own disappointment mirrored in my little brothers voice, this was wrong. He deserved better. He'd worked for this.

"You have to keep working bro! You'll bounce back! You can do this, I believe!"