So should I start a new thread for the new chapter or just continue in this one?

I'd say keep it all together, it is all a great read and I'd hate for the first half of your story to get lost...people should definitely experience both halves :D

View attachment 230158

New Beginnings

The Set-up.

So, in re-creating C.J. for the managerial part of his career I have tried, as much as possible, to stay true to the character from the BaP.

View attachment 230157

View attachment 230156

The first image is from the BaP, the second, my recreation.

As you can see, I have attempted to recreate him as closely as possible from playing experience, coaching badges & even his preferred formation (which I will try to use).

Some relationships & coaching stats vary but that can't be helped.

I have also added George to the DB for Sydney FC, copying his birthday, playing career, stats, relationships & Attributes as closely as I could.

On a personal note, I am excited to once again be doing a "traditional" story. It feels like forever since I did anything but play online games or sim through the years.

I hope you all enjoy the next chapter of C.J.'s career, thanks for following.
:)

The Melbourne Knights.

At first Glance.

View attachment 230117

The Melbourne Knights are quite a famous club in Australia. Well, as famous as a lower league club can be in any case.

Some notable ex-players include legendary duo, Mark Viduka & Danny Tiatto.

Its also worth mentioning that our chairman is looking to leave & the media has us down for a 4th placed finish.

View attachment 230116

Our facilities are very good for the level with "well established" youth recruitment to go with a 15K stadium & good training facilities.

View attachment 230114

Its not all good news though with the club predicted to make a loss of near enough to 1M pounds before a ball has been kicked! Not at all unexpected given the horrendous financial state of Australian football.

Lets hope I can trim some fat off of the wage budget & collect some unexpected prize money from somewhere!

The Squad

First impressions & early decisions

View attachment 230099

I was initially quite pleased with what I saw when first running my eye over the squad at my disposal.

We have some stand out players like Daniel Visevic, Antun Kovacevic & Jacob Colosimo as well as some talented youngsters like Jordan O'Doherty & Ivan Grgic.

On closer inspection though I found some real issues.

First off, it appears that all but 3 of my players are off contract in a couple of months. Looking at our schedule, that's smack bang in the middle of competitive competition.

View attachment 230098

The day before our second round match up in the Mirabella Cup in fact. Not ideal.

I quickly scrambled to contact the guys to get an idea of who was interested in staying on.

To my surprise, I found that all but 2 were willing to discuss terms, most would even settle for the same wage or even non contracts!

View attachment 230097

View attachment 230096

Unfortunately the hold outs were 2 of our better players but never mind, as long as I can trim some fat I know I can assemble a squad that will last for more then a couple of months.

Which brings me to my next issue. Of the 3 players contracted past the next 2 months we have Ben Surey (2 and a half stars, 775 P/W) & Chris May (half star, 650 P/W) they are the clubs biggest earners by a long, long way. Getting rid of those 2 is going to be essential to building a competitive squad moving forward.

Obviously my first move was to offer them out on a free transfer. Unsurprisingly there were no takers so I made the call to pay them out just to be rid of them.

View attachment 230095

View attachment 230094

This gave me a whopping 1300 pound of free wage room. That's over a 3rd of my total budget! With that money I can easily afford to keep the majority of my current squad, bring in some new faces & still have cash to spare!

My first week in the job &

View attachment 230073

While I can cross my fingers & hope for a tycoon, the truth is this is a delay I could really do without.

My attempts to get in early & nick good players before the competition gets wind of their availability have been foiled.

I did however manage to confirm one deal before the embargo was in place.

View attachment 230071

Kiwi shot stopper, Rhyss Keane, joins on a free transfer.

Bought in as a direct replacement for the over-paid Chris May, Keane is likely to beat out Michael O'Farrell as my first choice keeper.

Last edited:

Unfortunately, the embargo only works one way & with Antun Kovacevic unwilling to resign, I had to let him go.

View attachment 230070

View attachment 230069

I had no reservations about the deal, if he didn't leave now he would do in a couple of months. Unfortunately not everyone saw it that way.

View attachment 230068

I am not sure if Sam understands what a transfer embargo is or that Antun had no interest in staying but I was extremely happy when he decided to shut his yap & leave my office a relatively happy man.

All is good in the world again.

What!?

Oh, wait. That's not good...

View attachment 230067

What a first week! What the F@#K have I gotten myself into!

Exciting and nervewrecking at the same time! Let's hope the new owner decides to keep you around, so you won't have to go job-hunting already.

P.S.: Am I the only one hoping you will get to manage George before his career is over...? :D

View attachment 229879

Thankfully, after some **** kissing in the press, I have been spared the humiliation of having to return to my local unemployment office.

View attachment 229878

The new board injected some much needed cash into the club however they did nothing to help my wage or transfer budget.

I don't really mind. I am confident of putting together a competitive squad the funds at my disposal.

Awesome idea and story! Good luck.

As a New Zealander, what is going on with the Aussie leagues? Phoenix and Auckland City playing together?

Awesome idea and story! Good luck.

As a New Zealander, what is going on with the Aussie leagues? Phoenix and Auckland City playing together?

Hey mate, thanks for the kind words! Nice to hear from a Kiwi on here :)

As for Auckland & the Phoenix, its all part of Weiry's Aussie lower league database which you can find here http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2015-editing-discussion/183887-australian-league-system-pyramid.html. Its fun, check it out! :)

I'm impressed you attracted 39 people to watch, I've never seen more than 10 watching a match at that park :p

Unfortunate end to the playing days however I am sure his management career will surpass!

pepPLQt.jpg

Pre-Season

As a player I always dreaded pre-season, just another chance to injure myself against some young kid looking to prove a point. As a manager it was my first opportunity to see the idea's I had in my head come to life on the field.

RwLYWSq.jpg

As a whole, results were decent but, more importantly, I was impressed with what I saw from the lads. Although I had asked them to learn a completely new system, they seemed to be adapting well.

Tactics

I have 2 main shapes I am looking to implement.

fyDiLsP.jpg

A 4-4-2 with a wide diamond in midfield is still my preferred way to play though, even after our recruitment efforts, I am still unsure if we have the balance right to pull it off.

TXeq2rP.jpg

Based on what I've seen of the guys, a 4-1-2-2-1 may be our strongest formation. We have the cattle to play it, play it well & mix things up to vary our threat.

I am also training a flat 4-4-2 but don't expect it to get much use. We only have 2 natural strikers in the squad at the moment so any shape that relies on both is a risky proposition.

Transfers

Unfortunately, the transfer embargo meant we weren't as active in the market as I'd hoped. I sat back & watched as a number of possible recruits were snapped up while our hands were tied. I did however get a few deals over the line.

WCgqUWZ.jpg

In addition to Rhyss Keane, I've bought in a further 4 players so far. Tom King is a young left back with a wicked cross, Paul Savio an experienced right back or central defender, Matthew Demo is an explosive striker bought in to compliment the hulking frame of Stipo Andrijasevic & Seimata Chelia is a 36 year old Vanuatu international who plays in midfield.

T13REWp.jpg

All 3 of my departures have already been discussed. May & Surey were given free transfers to cut back on wages, Antun Kovacevic left to join South Hobart after refusing to discuss a new deal.

rPKWf23.jpg

LNITyvx.jpg

And that's about it, I think I have covered everything...

Nothing left to do but sit back & await my first competitive match as a manager. I honestly cant wait! Look out Ballarat Red Devils, Lippo's Knights are coming!

Last edited:
Can't wait for your first competitive game as manager!

Although I am half expecting you to sprain something while shouting at the players from the bench and be out injured for the next two months...