Capello names Squad for Switzerland qualifier

parker was good too

Was going to mention that, but mentioned it before and didn't want to fall into trap of repeating lol. But yeah he did a good job though. Did what he had to and imo didn't put a foot wrong. As usual. Should've used Scottie well before now in previous European/World Cup games.

Not all the players were that bad. Baines, Young and Wilshere had good games. But Hart definately had a screw up-2nd goal debatable, due to other Swiss players not being marked so he didn't get help I guess.

Young wasnt that good tbh! Parker was average as well. I defenatly would say he played well.

Was going to mention that, but mentioned it before and didn't want to fall into trap of repeating lol. But yeah he did a good job though. Did what he had to and imo didn't put a foot wrong. As usual. Should've used Scottie well before now in previous European/World Cup games.

aye definitely. also when we have a runner like bent the two mcs have to push up, looked better when young was n, which tells me we should play 4-2-3-1 when bent is up front, saw much more ball second half

aye definitely. also when we have a runner like bent the two mcs have to push up, looked better when young was n, which tells me we should play 4-2-3-1 when bent is up front, saw much more ball second half

Thing is, after Bents performance, that may have been his last game in an England shirt. Especially when we have players like Carroll waiting in the wing. Got a lot of high hopes for him. Not saying he's a bad player, but at International level, just seems to lack a bit of composure, and possibly tries too hard-too eager to prove critics wrong perhaps

Last edited:
Player Ratings

Joe Hart - 5 - Maybe harsh but he probably should have saved both the goals, looked good until the goals however.

Ashley Cole - N/A - Off injured after half an hour, did very well though to keep on battling despite being in evident pain

Rio Ferdinand - 6 - The whole defense were bad, especially in the first half.

John Terry - 6 - Same as Ferdinand.

Glen Johnson - 5.5 - Had a bad game, never really got any attacks going and found Barnetta hard to handle.

Parker - 6 - looked bright at times but overall a pretty average game.

Wilshere - 8 - England's best player, looked determined and won the penalty.

Lampard - 5 - out of sorts, got the penalty but his free kick at the end of the half pretty much summed it up.

Walcott - 4.5 - IMO worst player on the field today, i don't think he deserves a place in the team and it showed.

Milner - 6.5 - Played quite badly but tried hard which gives him an extra half point.

Bent - 5 - Just went missing, also looked out of sorts, coupled with a shocking miss, somehow scrapes a 5

Baines - 7.5 - Looked very sharp down the left and worked well with Young as shown in the goal

Young - 7.5 - Big force in England's comeback after coming on, took a great goal.

Downing - N/A - not enough time on pitch, missed with last kick of the game.

Hart - 6 (+ Shot stopping, some quick distribution / - took chances on the ball, could have done better with goals)

Cole - 6 (+ Solid & battled injury, commited / - didn't attack often enough)

Ferdinand - 6 (+ covered & blocked well in 1st half / - tired & gave away free kick in dangerous area)

Terry - 4 (+ improved in 2nd half / - looked tired, lost a number of 1st half aerial duels, not himself)

Johnson - 5 (+ supported attacks well, no serious defensive errors / - struggled to defend Barnetta's movement, could deliver earlier)

Parker - 5 (+ harried, tackled & blocked well, commited as always / - tired quickly, poor ball retention)

Wilshere - 7 (+ attacked with drive & determination, pressed well & kept possession, created chances / - obviously tired in the last 20, would have liked him to demand the ball more)

Lampard - 6 (+ calm head under pressure, decent pen / - didn't press or get forward enough, too disciplined)

Walcott - 4 (+ defended reasonably / - poor decision making, passing & dribbling)

Milner - 5 (+ commited as ever, some decent link up with Baines & Young / - unimaginative with the ball, crossing, ineffective)

Bent - 4 (+ won a few headers? / - finishing, link up, intelligence & variation)

Baines - 6 (+ supported attacks, assist / - allowed Shaqiri to cut inside too often)

Young - 6 (+ linked midfield & attack, good 15 mins after introduction, goal / - work rate, commitment)

Downing - N/A

Thing is, after Bents performance, that may have been his last game in an England shirt. Especially when we have players like Carroll waiting in the wing. Got a lot of high hopes for him.

think he will be alright, different kind of player to Rooney and Carroll. will get his chance, maybe not against holland though

Tbf, I think the back four (not just Terry) had a mare with those two goals

I cant see how first goal blame will partly be with Lampard for giving the foul away and the free-kick was sensational to be fair, balls in like that are a defenders nightmare. 2nd goal should be blamed firstly on Parker for giving the free-kick away and then Milner for leaving a huge gap in the wall and of corse Hart for getting beat at his near post. Appart from that i thought the defence cleared their lines and if anything all the Swiss had was long range shots which tell me the defence did their job.

I didnt think Terry was that bad???

Gave the ball away a few times in key areas, lost far too many headers in the 1st half due to poor timing more than anything, didn't follow his man fot the 1st goal. He was poor.

2nd half was an improvement, but he just wasn't his usual commited and dependable self

Gave the ball away a few times in key areas, lost far too many headers in the 1st half due to poor timing more than anything, didn't follow his man fot the 1st goal. He was poor.

2nd half was an improvement, but he just wasn't his usual commited and dependable self

And neither was Rio, i counted many of times he was rash and looked nervous and leggy. Terry didnt follow his man but no one touched the ball.... I think maybe your being abit harsh thats all. All i noticed was Terry winning balls from corners crosses etc.

And neither was Rio, i counted many of times he was rash and looked nervous and leggy. Terry didnt follow his man but no one touched the ball.... I think maybe your being abit harsh thats all. All i noticed was Terry winning balls from corners crosses etc.

I think Rio was better, often in the right place but did look tired in the 2nd half. Maybe I'm being harsh on Terry, I just expect better from our leader given his ability and usual performance levels

Amusing that Senderos had a much better game than Djourou yesterday. I think Bobby should of started because he gave Djourou the run a round when we played Arsenal last game of the season but ah well, Fabio didn't give him a chance. Shaqiri looked good but all a bit too predictable. Agree with Baines comments, a lot better going forward than Cole and has much better delivery, probably not as good in defence though. Good decision to take Lampard off, still unsure what his role really is for England, was very pedestrian yesterday. Wasn't too bothered about the game though. Deffo a club before country man when it comes to England at the moment.

Read so much about Shaqir, but still can't understand what the fuss is about. He looked ok, but he shot from every possible chance, it was like advanced version of left footed Gibson.

Maybe he is a good player, but i was not impressed with him in yesterday's game.

I dont know why for maybe a trial couple of games during friendlies or something, why he doesnt put Delap in the team and play him for his throw?
Think about it for a minute....No other club in major european countries uses this typer of play so most countries would be completely stumped when trying to defend against this type of thing.
We have the big heads of people like Carroll, Terry, Ferdinand and Rooney etc...They would relish this easy goal oppotunity!
Yer it may not be the prettiest of football but when England arent winning games as it is, who cares right?

Delap has played for Ireland. Which one, I'm not sure..

Amusing that Senderos had a much better game than Djourou yesterday. I think Bobby should of started because he gave Djourou the run a round when we played Arsenal last game of the season but ah well, Fabio didn't give him a chance. Shaqiri looked good but all a bit too predictable. Agree with Baines comments, a lot better going forward than Cole and has much better delivery, probably not as good in defence though. Good decision to take Lampard off, still unsure what his role really is for England, was very pedestrian yesterday. Wasn't too bothered about the game though. Deffo a club before country man when it comes to England at the moment.

After yesterdays performance, I'm headin that way myself

Peter Crouch will not play for England again under Fabio Capello after being axed from the Euro 2012 qualifier against Switzerland hours before kick-off at Wembley.

The Tottenham striker, who has scored 22 England goals in 42 games, was left feeling humiliated after Capello selected Darren Bent as his lone striker, with Fulham’s Bobby Zamora on the bench.

Crouch was at Wembley and wore his England blazer but it is the final straw for the 6ft 7in striker.

A close friend of Crouch said: ‘That is the last time he [Crouch] plays for Fabio Capello. It is almost a deliberate humiliation.’

Crouch became a national hero after his ‘robot dance’ goal celebration in an England shirt prior to the 2006 World Cup.

But he has felt increasingly marginalised by Capello despite turning up for England squads even when left unused.

Now the player has had enough and while he will not close the door when a new manager succeeds Capello, he is the latest player to decide he does not want to work with the Italian.

Goalkeepers Paul Robinson and Ben Foster have made themselves unavailable for England duty while Capello remains in charge but Jamie Carragher resumed his international retirement after a temporary comeback for the World Cup.

Manchester United’s Paul Scholes did not go to the World Cup after saying he was unhappy that Capello had only given him 24 hours’ notice.

Wes Brown declined to play after Capello called him up for a squad at the start of the season.

Crouch’s friend, who revealed the player’s disillusion with Capello, added: ‘Peter has always been loyal to England, regardless of the importance of the game.

‘He’s got a fiancée and baby daughter. He could have been on holiday with them but wanted to be part of things, unlike some other players. And once again he has been treated badly.’

Capello’s decision to inform Crouch that he would not be involved against the Swiss is strange given his international scoring record. Crouch’s average strike-rate of a goal every other game places him joint-16th on the all-time England scorers’ list alongside the legendary Tommy Lawton.

Zamora, 30, had won only one England cap before in a friendly against Hungary, and missed five months of last season through injury. He is two weeks older than Crouch.

Adding to Crouch’s hurt is that Wayne Rooney, who decided to play golf in the West Indies rather than support his team-mates at Wembley, and Jermain Defoe, who withdrew with injury despite playing until the end of the season at Tottenham, can both be expected to walk into England’s next squad against Holland in August, and the Euro 2012 qualifier against Bulgaria in Sofia the following month.

Crouch’s retirement will be felt by England fans who turned him into a cult figure after his debut in 2005.

I dont know why for maybe a trial couple of games during friendlies or something, why he doesnt put Delap in the team and play him for his throw?
Think about it for a minute....No other club in major european countries uses this typer of play so most countries would be completely stumped when trying to defend against this type of thing.
We have the big heads of people like Carroll, Terry, Ferdinand and Rooney etc...They would relish this easy goal oppotunity!
Yer it may not be the prettiest of football but when England arent winning games as it is, who cares right?
Delap is irish, trap wont call him up because he is ignorant.

Peter Crouch will not play for England again under Fabio Capello after being axed from the Euro 2012 qualifier against Switzerland hours before kick-off at Wembley.

The Tottenham striker, who has scored 22 England goals in 42 games, was left feeling humiliated after Capello selected Darren Bent as his lone striker, with Fulham’s Bobby Zamora on the bench.

Crouch was at Wembley and wore his England blazer but it is the final straw for the 6ft 7in striker.

A close friend of Crouch said: ‘That is the last time he [Crouch] plays for Fabio Capello. It is almost a deliberate humiliation.’

Crouch became a national hero after his ‘robot dance’ goal celebration in an England shirt prior to the 2006 World Cup.

But he has felt increasingly marginalised by Capello despite turning up for England squads even when left unused.

Now the player has had enough and while he will not close the door when a new manager succeeds Capello, he is the latest player to decide he does not want to work with the Italian.

Goalkeepers Paul Robinson and Ben Foster have made themselves unavailable for England duty while Capello remains in charge but Jamie Carragher resumed his international retirement after a temporary comeback for the World Cup.

Manchester United’s Paul Scholes did not go to the World Cup after saying he was unhappy that Capello had only given him 24 hours’ notice.

Wes Brown declined to play after Capello called him up for a squad at the start of the season.

Crouch’s friend, who revealed the player’s disillusion with Capello, added: ‘Peter has always been loyal to England, regardless of the importance of the game.

‘He’s got a fiancée and baby daughter. He could have been on holiday with them but wanted to be part of things, unlike some other players. And once again he has been treated badly.’

Capello’s decision to inform Crouch that he would not be involved against the Swiss is strange given his international scoring record. Crouch’s average strike-rate of a goal every other game places him joint-16th on the all-time England scorers’ list alongside the legendary Tommy Lawton.

Zamora, 30, had won only one England cap before in a friendly against Hungary, and missed five months of last season through injury. He is two weeks older than Crouch.

Adding to Crouch’s hurt is that Wayne Rooney, who decided to play golf in the West Indies rather than support his team-mates at Wembley, and Jermain Defoe, who withdrew with injury despite playing until the end of the season at Tottenham, can both be expected to walk into England’s next squad against Holland in August, and the Euro 2012 qualifier against Bulgaria in Sofia the following month.

Crouch’s retirement will be felt by England fans who turned him into a cult figure after his debut in 2005.

Fabio clearly has issues. Absolutely disgusting the way he treats players. Want him gone before the Euros. Enough is enough.

Back