Capello resigns - Hodgson appointed England boss

• Thread starter Thread starter Joel`
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 521
  • Views Views 37K
7.5 million pounds too late.

After the abysmal showing at South Africa he was never going to recover the fans, he lacks the power to inspire players he always has. Spain friendly aside, which surprised me, you look at the Ghana/France/Sweden friendlies and he just never set the team up with either freedom or purpose. He had a talented Madrid team and a talented Juve team, 2 of the greatest teams assembled in the 21st century, and won titles. But he never showed a quality that you need as an international manager, tactical versatility and fluid preparation.

My opinion of Capello for years has been he's a man driven by the compensation cheque he'll get not by a desire to build either a legacy or plaudits. This would always end in tears like every other England manager saga always does.

I have multiple points of view on whether Harry should get the job or not, he should get it but not because he's English. He should get it because out of all available options he is the best man to build a national identity; legacy and successful setup.

Sven came in '01 he was a tactician; McLaren came in as a players man who relied on loyalty to drive his players on and Capello came into the job as a rigid, strict, 'Italian style' coach.

In 11 years we've gone down 3 routes and all have failed, those 11 years are the 'golden generation' of English football. We have a chance to direct the new generation of Wilshere's/Carroll's/Welbeck's into a new mentality. Maybe it is time to go for a motivator like Harry who has proven he is one of the best around for giving players freedom...

On the other hand Harry is a day to day manager who spends most of his day at the training ground which is surely part of his success of getting players on side and monitoring development. He wouldn't be able to use that skillset with England to the extent he does in club management, he would bring in a backroom staff of British coaches which may help in the functionality. Harry does keep players on a leash at club level, he gives you long boundaries but if you overstep them he does discipline you. He knows most of the players and watches a lot of football which makes him very familiar with the pool of talent but possibly too familiar with certain players (Dawson, Huddlestone, Defoe etc).

Something I would do personally if I was the FA is promote Eddie Howe or a young manager outside the Premiership to assistant manager role alongside Harry to learn from him and inject new ideas. I'd get rid of Stuart Pearce and the notion that he's the future England manager in 10 years time, put in place a young coach from either a successful academy or promote an English youth group coach to the U-21's.

I'm apprehensive about Redknapp but there is a distinct lack of options out there even on the continent. Saying that it would be very refreshing to finally have an England manager that sets up a team thinking 'how will they try and stop us playing' rather than 'lets stop them first'. It would be good to have a team which will be young playing with freedom and without fear, something that will never happen under Capello.

So at the end of all that I haven't swung one way or another, whoever does come in this will be the perfect time to do so with expectations so low.

I've said all ^ that and now I'll come across like a tabloid when I say man for man we have easily got one the top 3 XI's in Europe. For me Parker is exceptional, factor in Wilshere in a deep role with him and the choices we have in wide areas with the young creative players we have in the hole and it's a excellent team. One thing England has now is choices, young choices from CB to CAM there is an abundance of talent coming through.

Ozil/Khedira midfield base vs Parker/Wilshere, I'd take the latter pairing. We got torn apart by Klose at the world cup, Barry got ran ragged because he's got no speed or tempo to play in or against a youthful team. It's not like Capello took and played the best possible team at the world cup before we even get to the system, not excusing their performances at all but England has a lot to be proud of at the minute in the young players department.

Whilst I'm not particularly agreed with your point of view, I can respect the well thought out opinion you have there, made for interesting reading.

Sorry though mate, Khedira is younger and better than Parker and at present (not saying it will be the same by the time the world cup comes round), Ozil is quite a bit better than Wilshere. IMO Ozil is world class for his position.

Not sure I see your points on Ozil/Khedira.

Khedira's a good young player who will clearly surpass Parker in 2-3 years time but at the present moment Parker has shown consistently he's a top class player. In a better team like Spurs he's showing his class, Khedira's not exactly shone when he's been given a chance and whilst he's younger that counts for nothing this summer.

Parker's been one of the players of the season so far and one of the best midfielders in the Premiership for the last 2-3 years, he'd get the nod above Khedira in my team.

Ozil's paid a 6 figure salary, on par with what Lampard picks up at Chelsea, compare his performances for Madrid in key games this season and he has dipped in his development. At the base of a midfield I would still take Wilshere, who admittedly hasn't played this season, over him. Ozil's a top player but on a performance-salary-potential basis he has had a poor second season, he'll still raise his game in Germany's system but at the very least him and Wilshere are near par on talent/potential.

We're talking about ability here - not salary. With that in mind I agree that Parker > Khedira but at the moment Özil > Wilshere.

Lol my homepage is BBC Football and i read it there.

Would you class Newsround as an improvement? ;)

I'm too old for that. Last time I saw it John Craven was presenting it lol

Not sure I see your points on Ozil/Khedira.

Khedira's a good young player who will clearly surpass Parker in 2-3 years time but at the present moment Parker has shown consistently he's a top class player. In a better team like Spurs he's showing his class, Khedira's not exactly shone when he's been given a chance and whilst he's younger that counts for nothing this summer.

Parker's been one of the players of the season so far and one of the best midfielders in the Premiership for the last 2-3 years, he'd get the nod above Khedira in my team.

Ozil's paid a 6 figure salary, on par with what Lampard picks up at Chelsea, compare his performances for Madrid in key games this season and he has dipped in his development. At the base of a midfield I would still take Wilshere, who admittedly hasn't played this season, over him. Ozil's a top player but on a performance-salary-potential basis he has had a poor second season, he'll still raise his game in Germany's system but at the very least him and Wilshere are near par on talent/potential.

We're heading slightly off topic with this. Ozil isn't exactly a centre mid man to be fair, so I can't really take the lampard comparison who is definitely in that position, but notches up the goals because he arrives from deep or comes later into the box. Ozil plays off the front 1/2 and is usually the creator. You say he has had a poor season, but I think the stats say otherwise, scoring 1 and creating 11 in 21 games isn't too bad, particularly when former world player of the year Kaka has been coming on for him A LOT this season.

In any case, I have faith in Wilshere to catch him up but you can't compare that record with a player who has been crocked all season.

England are without a manager, and the FA are known to favour an English candidate for the job.
Harry Redknapp is the overwhelming favourite, but the problem with favouring an English candidate is that there are so few English managers working in the Premier League. How does this situation compare to other major footballing countries in Europe?
graph1-3.jpg
graph2-3.jpg
graph3-2.jpg
graph4.jpg
graph9.jpg
graph6.jpg
graph7.jpg
The England graph may soon change to 16-4 – here, Mick McCarthy was included, but his replacement at Wolves will be announced soon. McCarthy was considered an Irishman (the country he represented at international level) rather than English, as ‘footballing nationality’ was used throughout.
That will shift the balance slightly, but 15% from 20% is a minor difference compared to 70% or above everywhere else.
Ten other Premier League managers are British but not English (two Welshman, two Northern Irish, six Scots) and Owen Coyle could be added to that figure if he was considered Scottish (his place of birth) rather than Irish (who he played for at international level).
The immediate task for the FA is to appoint a new manager, but in the long-term they must investigate why they have so few English options for the job.

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2012/02/17/nationalities-of-managers-in-european-leagues/

Didn't know where to post this so i thought why not here. As we know since Capello's resignation Harry Redknapp has been the media/most fans favourite to take the England job. From day one i have dismissed that he is the best man for the job, Redknapp for me is someone who motivates the players well but tactically looks lost at times (plus the fact he loves to ruin clubs finances). Now from the day Capello left i was banging the Guus Hiddink drum but as we know he is at Anzhi and the FA want an English manager anyway. Now my personal view is that Roy Hodgson deserves the job (sorry WBA fans), he is more clued up tactically and knows the International scene really well having had spells with Switzerland, UAE and Finland. Any views?

Didn't know where to post this so i thought why not here. As we know since Capello's resignation Harry Redknapp has been the media/most fans favourite to take the England job. From day one i have dismissed that he is the best man for the job, Redknapp for me is someone who motivates the players well but tactically looks lost at times (plus the fact he loves to ruin clubs finances). Now from the day Capello left i was banging the Guus Hiddink drum but as we know he is at Anzhi and the FA want an English manager anyway. Now my personal view is that Roy Hodgson deserves the job (sorry WBA fans), he is more clued up tactically and knows the International scene really well having had spells with Switzerland, UAE and Finland. Any views?

I think a man manager would be a better choice for England manager at the world cup. A tactician does not have enough time to implement there tactics with the world cup so close.

Redknapp's not the man then. He's the man to come in and let players do what they like, but not a man manager. Thats a myth.

WBA grant England access to speak to Hodgson.

Lol

I just

Pahaha

Brilliant

I rate Hodgson higher than Redknapp, just because he did not work for your club does not make him a bad manager, look what he has done for West Brom and before he joined Liverpool.

Hodgson for England? Good God. I'm not Harry's biggest fan but surely the FA have a better back up than Woy?

I think a man manager would be a better choice for England manager at the world cup. A tactician does not have enough time to implement there tactics with the world cup so close.

The World Cup is two years away... How is that "so close"?

Last edited:
Well, they're still to interview Harry before the end of the season so Roy's not guaranteed. And tbh, any manager is better than no manager

At least he should know a fair bit about Swedish football.

Unsurprisingly the Liverpool fans laugh at Roy, well he's not only got West Brom organised, but also playing pretty decent football. Have no problem with a similar organised framework for England that then allows our very best to flourish

Liverpool fans laughing at the fact Roy Hodgson being approached by England considering their current manager isn't actually doing much better is pretty laughable to be honest.

Back