Coalition launches Libya attacks

• Thread starter Thread starter Joel`
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 406
  • Views Views 21K
I would just like to make it clear that I'm disappointed and not angry that they cant help all the countries but Its more how they pass the mandates that annoys me.
If they just passed it saying to protect the Oil supplies for the west I wouldn't mind but its the fact they lie about it that annoys me. I don't understand why nobody important calls them up on that

As long as it doesn't harm the civilizians, I don't mind. I want Gaddafi gone and all the cruel Arab leaders. Gaddafi sends his mercenaries to attack his civilizians, and then sends them to attack in the hospitals. The same thing is happening here in Bahrain, only here it's worse. They brought in the Saudi+UAE+Qatar armies to kill us PEACEFUL PROTESTERS, it's bad enough that we have the police here and the people who they gave passports who come attacking us at our homes and after we pray and leave the Mosque, we don't need tanks and AK's. The people who support them need to OPEN THEIR EYES ALREADY. Heck, even 3 Bahrainis who play for the national team have been shot or seriously injured.

5.14pm: • Allied air strikes have virtually wiped out Muammar Gaddafi's forces that were attacking the rebel-held town of Misrata. The aerial attacks have ended five days of ****** assault that cost nearly 100 lives.

• The rebel council in Benghazi has created a governing body. Mahmoud Jibril, a US-educated planning expert who defected from the Gaddafi regime, has been named as its head.

• Gaddafi promised victory to an enthusiastic crowd in his first public appearance in a week late on Tuesday. He said there would be "no surrender" to powers who belonged "on the dust heap of history".

4.58pm: Britain will host an international conference in London next Tuesday to discuss Libya.

"At the conference we will discuss the situation in Libya with our allies and partners and take stock of the implementation of UN security council resolutions 1970 and 1973," the Foreign Secretary, William Hague, said in a statement. "We will consider the humanitarian needs of the Libyan people and identify ways to support the people of Libya in their aspirations for a better future."

French officials have said the meeting would be at foreign minister level and would include the African Union, the Arab League and the associated European countries.

4.48pm: Our colleague, Mona Mahmood, has been scanning the Arabic and Libyan press for comments. Here are some snippets.

Al-shareq Al-awssat, a Saudi paper based in London

No wise man likes see foreign intervention in an Arab country even if it is supported by a UN security council's resolution, but Colonel Gaddafi himself is responsible for this intervention. It is so sad to see the colonel trying to the last moment to destroy his people and ignite a civil war by his call to the tribes to march to Benghazi... Why he did not face, from the beginning, the peaceful demos with olive branches instead of bullets and bombing?

Al-Jamahiriyia, Libyan newspaper

Amr Mousa (secretary-general of the Arab League) only cares about his interest and his excessive selfishness. Mousa wants to launch his presidential election on the back of Libyan corpses whose blood was by shed by cowardly western planes.

4.15pm: Médecins Sans Frontières, the medical group, says it has been unable to get into Libya although some of its supplies did reach Misrata on Monday. Its teams in Benghazi left last week as fighting reached the rebel stronghold and other MSF staff have not received authorisation to cross the Tunisian border.

3.51pm: Right on cue, the Guardian's Chris McGreal has just emailed on the situation in Misrata.

Nearly 12 hours of allied air strikes have virtually wiped out Muammar Gaddafi's forces that were attacking the rebel-held town of Misrata and ended five days of ****** assault that cost nearly 100 lives. Mohammed Ali, an IT engineer at the town's main hospital, said that waves of air strikes which began shortly after midnight destroyed tanks and artillery that Gaddafi's army had been using to shell the heart of Misrata.

"The air strikes went on until 11.30 this morning. After that there was no shelling. We are very relieved. We are very grateful. We want to thank he world. The Gaddafi forces are scattered around. All that is left is the snipers and our fighters can take care of them," he
said.

Ali said that among the targets of the air strikes was a former hospital used by Gaddafi's army as a station for its tanks during its assault on Misrata. He said that the hospital was almost destroyed along with all the tanks during the coalition bombing attack. Ali said that the past five days of fighting left 94 people dead and more than 1,300 injured. About 60 civilians were among the dead, including whole families killed in their cars or homes.

3.48pm: Air strikes have forced Libyan government tanks to roll back from Misrata, a doctor tells AP.

A doctor in Misrata said the tanks fled after the air strikes began around midnight. He said the air strikes struck the aviation academy and a vacant lot outside the central hospital, which was under maintenance.

"There were very loud explosions. It was hard to see the planes," the doctor said, speaking on condition of anonymity for fear of reprisals if Gaddafi's forces take the city. "Today, for the first time in a week, the bakeries opened their doors."

He said the situation was still dangerous, with pro-Gaddafi snipers shooting at people from rooftops. "Some of the tanks were hit and others fled," he said. "We fear the tanks that fled will return if the air strikes stop."

3.39pm: Some very bullish comments from Ali Zeidan, one of 31 members of the Libyan National Council, who told reporters in Paris that the rebels could overcome Gaddafi's forces in 10 days if the coalition continued its air strikes. He also said he wanted the international community to train and arm the rebel fighters. Zeidan's remarks do not exactly mesh with what the Guardian's Chris McGreal is reporting from Ajdabiya (8.58am).

3.30pm: Anthony Aust, former legal adviser at the Foreign Office who served at the UK mission to the UN and helped draft the resolution on Kuwait in 1990, addressed legal issues in our Q&A.

User myopicmuppet asked to what extent military action could be justified by the UN resolution. Anthony replied:

Much will depend on the specific circumstances. But, in my view para 4 of resolution 1973 entitles foreign forces to operate on the ground (not just in the air) to protect civilians being targeted by Qadafi's forces, provided the forces are not in reality an occupation force.

3.27pm: Some more interesting points raised in our Q&A. Paul Smyth, a RAF former wing commander and Tornado navigator, discussed some of the military issues.

bluesforallah asked about the use of Western group troops. Paul responded:

Ultimately, this is a Libyan problem that demands a Libyan solution. External intervention on the ground should not include western forces but be limited to Arab nations. If a buffer zone (as in Cyprus or Bosnia) becomes necessary I would suggest Egypt should be encouraged to monitor and police it. Nb: airborne monitoring of a ceasefire could involve western air power as it has the necessary capabilities.

bill2 wondered if a successful resolution is possible in Libya without resorting to ground troops. Paul replied:

No war in history has been won from the air, or the sea. I agree that air power has yet to win a war. But is this a war? It is a crisis in which the absence of land forces may not prevent a successful outcome (whatever that is defined as). A germane lesson from Iraq (1991), the Balkans in the 1990s and especially Afghanistan in 2001 is that air & sea power can have a decisive effect on a ground conflict. That has already happened at Benghazi but the rebels are going to have to improve their martial capabilities immensely if they are to successfully advance west. That would take some time. The removal of the regime's military capability and the evaporation of popular support for Gaddafi in the west of Libya may allow for another uprising that would make an advance from Benghazi unnecessary...

It would appear NATO will be leading operations now to an extent

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Libya-Turkish-Foreign-Minister-Says-Nato-Will-Take-Command-Of-Libya-Operation/Article/201103415959697?lpos=World_News_Carousel_Region_1&lid=ARTICLE_15959697_Libya%3A_Turkish_Foreign_Minister_Says_Nato_Will_Take_Command_Of_Libya_Operation

Don't like the idea. NATO is already imploding in on itself, and if there are civilian casualties, it would be disastrous. NATO is so full of disagreements on the inside, it's unreal, and this will just make it worse for the "alliance". IMO, NATO is now defunct. Its so full of infighting, that if the Warsaw Pact forces were still around, the West would have fallen in a week, thats how weak and fragile the alliance is. Should have left the Libyan situation the way it was being handled.

In theory you are. Your country elected a leader to represent you, and your country (I don't know which, but it's likely true unless you live in Russia or somewhere) agreed to send the UN troops in. This is the fundamental basis of modern democracy. You elected someone who made the decision to send the troops in. You're just as responsible as anyone.

I know you're not saying he's good, but you just don't understand. If we don't kill him, he kills thousands more than if we do kill him. I've repeated this so may times now.

Stop acting as if you're the arbiter for all military and conflictual knowledge. I know people who have lived through wars, and because of that very fact they cannot be trusted to make a clear-headed decision on it. When you've got such an emotional reaction to war, you will always, without fail, find it to be a bad thing, and sometimes that just isn't right.

Yes, wars like war against racism can be good. But those wars cant be won by guns.
Anyway, since NATO is taking over this whole thing ( eat that UN) few stats from NATO aggression on Yugoslavia. Year 1999 ( this is official ):
2.300 air strikes on 995 buildings from 1.150 planes.
NATO launched 420.000 missiles from air.
On ground, NATO launched 20.000 missiles ( 1.300 cruising missiles ) and 37.000 cassete bombs.
The fact NATO had 37 times stronger army and 300 times more powerful economy didnt stop them to invade Yugoslavia and use their full force. NATO even used banned weapon, depleted uranium.
Casualties and losses:
NATO: 3 airplanes, 1 choper and 2 soldiers
Yugoslavia: over 1.000 soldiers were killed, 300 soldiers wounded, 2.500 civilians were killed and 10.000 civilans were wounded.

So, whats the difference between NATO and Gaddafi ?
NATO have permission to kill.

I know people who have lived through wars, and because of that very fact they cannot be trusted to make a clear-headed decision on it
I bet you could make right decision. After all, you know all, dont you ?

And!
Since OHR is controling BiH ( Bosnia and Herzegovina), they gave last vote for UN invasion. Situation here is too complicated to explain. But Lybia dont need your democracy. I can guarantee you that.

Yes, wars like war against racism can be good. But those wars cant be won by guns.
Anyway, since NATO is taking over this whole thing ( eat that UN) few stats from NATO aggression on Yugoslavia. Year 1999 ( this is official ):
2.300 air strikes on 995 buildings from 1.150 planes.
NATO launched 420.000 missiles from air.
On ground, NATO launched 20.000 missiles ( 1.300 cruising missiles ) and 37.000 cassete bombs.
The fact NATO had 37 times stronger army and 300 times more powerful economy didnt stop them to invade Yugoslavia and use their full force. NATO even used banned weapon, depleted uranium.
Casualties and losses:
NATO: 3 airplanes, 1 choper and 2 soldiers
Yugoslavia: over 1.000 soldiers were killed, 300 soldiers wounded, 2.500 civilians were killed and 10.000 civilans were wounded.

So, whats the difference between NATO and Gaddafi ?
NATO have permission to kill.

I bet you could make right decision. After all, you know all, dont you ?

And!
Since OHR is controling BiH ( Bosnia and Herzegovina), they gave last vote for UN invasion. Situation here is too complicated to explain. But Lybia dont need your democracy. I can guarantee you that.

The difference between NATO and Gaddafi? Nato are killing to stop greater killings. Gaddafi is killing, well, because he can and wants his power. NATO don't want to kill, Gaddafi does. If you can't see the difference, you're blind. Since you're so enlightened on why we don't need guns for war, do explain how we were to stop Gaddafi causing a bloodbath at Benghazi if not for intervention?

The difference between NATO and Gaddafi? Nato are killing to stop greater killings. Gaddafi is killing, well, because he can and wants his power. NATO don't want to kill, Gaddafi does. If you can't see the difference, you're blind. Since you're so enlightened on why we don't need guns for war, do explain how we were to stop Gaddafi causing a bloodbath at Benghazi if not for intervention?

No, Gaddafi doesnt want to kill, he want power, something that NATO already have. When NATO kill someone, its good for humanity. Screw that. You gave Gaddafi weapons, deal with him now.

what do you mean gaddafi doesnt want to kill, hes sent snipers to shoot civilians

Does anyone have any stats/estimates on the deaths that have occurred in Libya so far?

Would be interesting to see how many civilian deaths Gaddafi has caused, and then the same figure for the NATO intervention.

i know in misrata in the last 6 days it was 91 deaths and 1300 casualites by gaddafi

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 PM ----------

vanjagl, go and read on whats been happening in lybia because you clearly dont understand. the lybian civilans have been crying out for intervention

as for bosnia, when you start an ethnic cleansing, the world is likely to come after you

Yep, civilians with guns.
unarmed children have been shot dead, blown up in their homes by tanks, shot on the way to school. gadaffi is monster and to be honest, if you defend what he does you're just as bad as him

i know in misrata in the last 6 days it was 91 deaths and 1300 casualites by gaddafi

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 PM ----------

vanjagl, go and read on whats been happening in lybia because you clearly dont understand. the lybian civilans have been crying out for intervention

as for bosnia, when you start an ethnic cleansing, the world is likely to come after you

After NATO aggression on Yugoslavia in 1999, 90% of serbs was either killed or banished from Kosovo. Then, about 800 000 Albanians moved in Kosovo. Talking about ethnic cleaning.

I know a lot about situation in Libya. Its my "job" to know. And they have no reason to rebel. They have free education, health department is on high level, salaries are godlike, and prices are very low. Someone gave money and weapon to Gaddafi's enemies to start this war. USA knows that they cant control Gaddafi. So, lets send NATO, just like they did on Yugoslavia.
So, NATO is after Libya's oil. Theres no other explanation. And numbers of killed people from Gaddafi's side are overestimated. People from Bosnia that works in Libya said Tripoli is not destroyed as we think.

---------- Post added at 10:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 PM ----------

unarmed children have been shot dead, blown up in their homes by tanks, shot on the way to school. gadaffi is monster and to be honest, if you defend what he does you're just as bad as him

Im even worse, Im against NATO, and that makes public enemy number 1. In NATO aggression in 1999 on Yugoslavia, they killed 100 ( around 100) children. Thats ok, right ?

After NATO aggression on Yugoslavia in 1999, 90% of serbs was either killed or banished from Kosovo. Then, about 800 000 Albanians moved in Kosovo. Talking about ethnic cleaning.

I know a lot about situation in Libya. Its my "job" to know. And they have no reason to rebel. They have free education, health department is on high level, salaries are godlike, and prices are very low. Someone gave money and weapon to Gaddafi's enemies to start this war. USA knows that they cant control Gaddafi. So, lets send NATO, just like they did on Yugoslavia.
So, NATO is after Libya's oil. Theres no other explanation. And numbers of killed people from Gaddafi's side are overestimated. People from Bosnia that works in Libya said Tripoli is not destroyed as we think.

---------- Post added at 10:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 PM ----------

Im even worse, Im against NATO, and that makes public enemy number 1. In NATO aggression in 1999 on Yugoslavia, they killed 100 ( around 100) children. Thats ok, right ?
no they didnt gadaffi has a weapons arsenal from decades of dictatorship. the war started becuase the libyans started protesting peacefully, and he responded by shooting them. thats a fact, reported by western and arab journalists

No one said tripoli was destroyed, i didnt even mention it, i mentioned misrata which has been, and its not overestimated, the number comes from the hospitals, and that doesnt even count the bodies buried in the rubble

weapons are neutral, all countries are allowed to buy them and make them, doesnt mean you have to use them

and you clearly dont know a lot about libya, otherwise you wouldnt be saying what you have been

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

this isnt about nato, get that through your head for once. christ its like talking to a brick wall.im talking about the situation which is different to bosnia, if you cant understand there there is no point in talking to you

no they didnt gadaffi has a weapons arsenal from decades of dictatorship. the war started becuase the libyans started protesting peacefully, and he responded by shooting them. thats a fact, reported by western and arab journalists

No one said tripoli was destroyed, i didnt even mention it, i mentioned misrata which has been, and its not overestimated, the number comes from the hospitals, and that doesnt even count the bodies buried in the rubble

weapons are neutral, all countries are allowed to buy them and make them, doesnt mean you have to use them

and you clearly dont know a lot about libya, otherwise you wouldnt be saying what you have been

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

this isnt about nato, get that through your head for once. christ its like talking to a brick wall.im talking about the situation which is different to bosnia, if you cant understand there there is no point in talking to you

I love how you avoid my point, over and over and over ;)

what point, you havent made any point? just rambled n about nato

I told truth about NATO. Its American tool for "justice" and "democracy". And you were talking about ethnic cleaning in Bosnia. What about NATO's ethnic cleaning in Kosovo ? You are quiet about that.

I told truth about NATO. Its American tool for "justice" and "democracy". And you were talking about ethnic cleaning in Bosnia. What about NATO's ethnic cleaning in Kosovo ? You are quiet about that.
haven't kept quiet about anything, in case you missed it the topic is about LIBYA. there was n ethnic cleansing in kosovo, it was an ethnic war, and Nato took the side of those being slaughtered.

no more talk about bosnia, or nato, stick to the topic, and the facts as reported

haven't kept quiet about anything, in case you missed it the topic is about LIBYA. there was n ethnic cleansing in kosovo, it was an ethnic war, and Nato took the side of those being slaughtered.

no more talk about bosnia, or nato, stick to the topic, and the facts as reported

Infract me if you want, but I need to say this.

Serbs in Kosovo
5 % now, before NATO aggression 80 %
Albanians in Kosovo
over 90 % now, before 15 %
You have no clue about this Mike, dont act otherwise.

About Libya, Gaddafi needs to go down, but his own people needs to take him down, not ******* NATO.

Infract me if you want, but I need to say this.

Serbs in Kosovo
5 % now, before NATO aggression 80 %
Albanians in Kosovo
over 90 % now, before 15 %
You have no clue about this Mike, dont act otherwise.

About Libya, Gaddafi needs to go down, but his own people needs to take him down, not ******* NATO.

NATO aren't taking him down. They're assisting. How do you expect his own people to take him down, when Gaddafi has the might of the whole army and elite soldiers, and the opposition have nothing but untrained rebels with old guns?

Back