Coalition launches Libya attacks

• Thread starter Thread starter Joel`
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 406
  • Views Views 21K
You are not listening. I agree, he needs to go down. But I can aprove killing. Not from Gaddafi (sp) not from EU.
you are not listening, how do you stop him when he ignores all peaceful alternatives? tell me that

Also, did anyone see that government plane being shot down by the rebels? Majorly impressive, they must've found (read: stolen) some kind of anti-air weaponry to do that. Small arms just wouldn't hack it.

I think it was a rebel plane shot down by the rebels.

As this is just the first phase of a "multi phase" plan unless gadaffi agrees to "peace"(which I highly doubt it) More missles will probably be sent, which will probably end up with us sending soldiers.
unless they straight out blow him up

You are not listening. I agree, he needs to go down. But I can aprove killing. Not from Gaddafi (sp) not from EU.

Way to sit on the fence. Peace is ideal, the world however, is not ideal.

sigh, whatever you have a opinion you cant really follow up on. find me some actual facts, meanwhile im just hoping the situation is resolved soon and more civilians dont have to die

Okay, last post here, happy to follow it up via PMs.

Why doesn't the "coalition" intervene in Bahrein? Civilians are dying, there's an ongoing protest for freedom, there's been a crackdown by the military, and the Bahrainis are being assisted by foreign forces, namely the saudis and the emiratis! Yeah, that's right! The US has one of their fleets stationed in Bahrain, plus Bahrein, Saudi Arabia and the UAE are allied to the US. They must be right then, give it to them, boys, those bad, bad civilians, how dare they protest!

Libya, OTOH, is opposed to western interests in the area and has been in staunch opposition of the US for years, ever since Gaddafi took power. And they have oil, too!

My point, until now, is that the protests are but a pretext to take down Libya. I'm NOT saying Gaddafi is a good guy, and I'm NOT saying the killing of civilians is justified under any circumstances, but an attack on Libya right now has very little, if anything, to do with Libyan freedom and democracy.

This can also be applied to the Iraq war - WMDs were never found, but were a nice pretext to start a war, weren't they? Sure, Saddam had to go, but the price paid was way, way too much.

I will now point you in another direction. The war in Afganistan will be 10 years old soon. Is it over? Has it brough peace and prosperity? Did the killings stop? Did "terrorism" stop? Tell me, what did violence solve there? Violence only brings violence. In an ideal world, as you said, peaceful solutions to everything would be achieved with ease. But in a world like ours, you can't achieve them with violence alone, either.

I said this would be my last post (I said the same with the one before, too) so please don't lure me into posting here again. Time will prove one (me) or all of us wrong. Either way, I hope an answer to this conflict is found quickly.

//Edit - Sorry it took so long, but maintenance thingy was getting on my nerves already.

Okay, last post here, happy to follow it up via PMs.

Why doesn't the "coalition" intervene in Bahrein? Civilians are dying, there's an ongoing protest for freedom, there's been a crackdown by the military, and the Bahrainis are being assisted by foreign forces, namely the saudis and the emiratis! Yeah, that's right! The US has one of their fleets stationed in Bahrain, plus Bahrein, Saudi Arabia and the UAE are allied to the US. They must be right then, give it to them, boys, those bad, bad civilians, how dare they protest!

Libya, OTOH, is opposed to western interests in the area and has been in staunch opposition of the US for years, ever since Gaddafi took power. And they have oil, too!

My point, until now, is that the protests are but a pretext to take down Libya. I'm NOT saying Gaddafi is a good guy, and I'm NOT saying the killing of civilians is justified under any circumstances, but an attack on Libya right now has very little, if anything, to do with Libyan freedom and democracy.

This can also be applied to the Iraq war - WMDs were never found, but were a nice pretext to start a war, weren't they? Sure, Saddam had to go, but the price paid was way, way too much.

I will now point you in another direction. The war in Afganistan will be 10 years old soon. Is it over? Has it brough peace and prosperity? Did the killings stop? Did "terrorism" stop? Tell me, what did violence solve there? Violence only brings violence. In an ideal world, as you said, peaceful solutions to everything would be achieved with ease. But in a world like ours, you can't achieve them with violence alone, either.

I said this would be my last post (I said the same with the one before, too) so please don't lure me into posting here again. Time will prove one (me) or all of us wrong. Either way, I hope an answer to this conflict is found quickly.

//Edit - Sorry it took so long, but maintenance thingy was getting on my nerves already.
your post is so flawed, since you dont want to post anymore i will leave it at that, but you demonstrated that you have not been following the situations in any of these countries that closely at all

your post is so flawed, since you dont want to post anymore i will leave it at that, but you demonstrated that you have not been following the situations in any of these countries that closely at all

Especially considering Bahrain is an extremely oil-rich country too... never mind.

Any news updates past the general stuff?

Especially considering Bahrain is an extremely oil-rich country too... never mind.

Any news updates past the general stuff?
12:56: Qatar's prime minister has told al-Jazeera that Qatar will definitively participate in the military action in Libya

"Qatar will participate in military action because we believe there must be Arab states undertaking this action, because the situation there is intolerable.... it has become an open war involving mercenaries. I think that this is an issue that must stop very quickly," Prime Minister Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim al-Thani said, adding:

We do not accept any harm coming to the Libyan people. We are not targeting the Libyan people, or targeting even the colonel [Gaddafi] or his sons, quite the opposite. How can we stop the bloodshed, this is our intention.

12.45am: My colleague Jonathan Haynes has a round-up of the front page headlines from the British Sunday newspapers:

• Sunday Mirror: IT'S WAR!

• News of the World: Blown to Brits

• Sunday Telegraph: British forces attack Gaddafi

• Mail on Sunday: Cruise strikes hit Gaddafi

• The Independent on Sunday: The UN strikes back

12.40am: Reuters reports:

Sustained bursts of anti-aircraft gunfire rattled the Libyan capital Tripoli in the early hours of Sunday, Reuters reporters in the city said.

Anti-aircraft fire was followed by explosions and machine gun fire, and shouts of "God is greatest". The night sky was lit up by tracer arcs.

CNN has footage clearly showing anti-aircraft tracer, taken within the last 10 minutes.

12.35am: Both CNN and al-Jazeera's correspondents in the centre of the city are now reporting sustained and constant anti-aircraft artillery firing into the skies over Tripoli, following heavy explosions.

12.31am: The second wave of attacks may be currently taking place in Libya, with reports of heavy anti-aircraft gunfire and explosions in Tripoli.

12.29am: Turkey appears to be ready to aid the military action against Libya, despite earlier public disapproval of the UN sanctioned intervention.

But now Turkey says it will make "the necessary and appropriate national contribution" to implementing a UN no-fly zone over Libya and protect civilians, its foreign ministry said in a statement: "Within that framework the necessary preparations and studies are being made by civil and military authorities".

12.21am: A message on Libyan state television says the Libyan government had decided to end efforts to stop illegal immigration into Europe, citing a security source. It hardly seems like the government's highest priority at the moment, to be honest.

12.12am: The rebel-held city of Misrata has been under siege by Gaddafi's forces for several days – and appears to have been one of the first beneficiaries of Western aerial attacks. Reuters reports:

Two residents said Gaddafi's forces appeared to have retreated from their positions, denying state TV reports that civilian areas and fuel depots were hit by the Western warplanes.

"The international forces struck Gaddafi battalions in the air military college, but some of the [government] forces fled shortly before the attack," resident Abdulbasset told Reuters by phone.

The base is 7 km from the city, which is Libya's third largest and is the last rebel hold-out in the west of the country. Another resident, Sami, said he had heard a loud explosion coming from the direction of the airbase.

"The Gaddafi forces surrounding the city started moving but we don't know where to," he said.

Earlier on Saturday, residents reported government shells and snipers had killed nine people in the city, about 200km (130 miles) east of Tripoli, and the hospital could not operate on the wounded because it had no anaesthetic.

They said the city faced a humanitarian crisis because water supplies were cut for a third day, but welcomed news of the first French air strikes to enforce a UN resolution.

"People are now optimistic and relieved. We are very grateful both to France and the EU for stepping in. Gaddafi's forces have carried out some barbaric acts here," said resident Mohammed.

11.59pm: While all the attention is on Libya today, there are still turmoil in other countries in the region, especially Syria, Yemen and Bahrain.

There are multiple reports of tanks patrolling the streets of Daraa in Syria, where there was a brutal security crackdown after protests yesterday. AP reports:

Syrian police sealed off a southern city Saturday after security forces killed at least five protesters there in the first sign that the Arab world's pro-democracy push is seeping into one of the region's most repressive places.

Residents of Daraa were being allowed to leave but not enter the city on Saturday, said prominent Syrian rights activist Mazen Darwish. The quick cordon seemed aimed at choking off any spread of unrest after Friday's clashes and emotional funeral processions for the dead on Saturday.

Elsewhere, there are unconfirmed reports that Nabeel Rajab, the president of the Bahrain Centre for Human Rights, has been arrested in the early hours of the morning.

War, war, and more war, and what for?
Years and years of technology and discoveries, and still, the world cannot be civil and sit still, sometimes I wonder about who the real animals are.

War, war, and more war, and what for?
Years and years of technology and discoveries, and still, the world cannot be civil and sit still, sometimes I wonder about who the real animals are.

to protect innocent people from brutal murder. That's what it's for

You missed my point, I wasn't criticising this attack.
I was criticising the constant war scenarios around the world, ALWAYS.

my bad, just presumed you were talking about just this attack since you posted in this thread. Sometimes war is completely unneeded but sometimes it is needed but that is the world we live in. There will never be complete peace in the world

• Sunday Mirror: IT'S WAR!

• News of the World: Blown to Brits

Good to see the normal unsensationalised, balanced reporting from our press.

You missed my point, I wasn't criticising this attack.
I was criticising the constant war scenarios around the world, ALWAYS.

The basic instincts of humanity is to fight and to procreate. We're doing pretty **** well with the second one with better healthcare and no predators we cannot destroy, so we focus on the first. We can't defeat our genetic imperatives, only try and control them.

The basic instincts of humanity is to fight and to procreate. We're doing pretty **** well with the second one with better healthcare and no predators we cannot destroy, so we focus on the first. We can't defeat our genetic imperatives, only try and control them.

Was just about to post about those two headlines. Zoomed me. :(

I get it. But it's sad you know... Deep down I think we all know stuff like this will never end, and if it is bad enough to think about it, then just imagine living it.

my bad, just presumed you were talking about just this attack since you posted in this thread. Sometimes war is completely unneeded but sometimes it is needed but that is the world we live in. There will never be complete peace in the world

I understand your point. But down this road, eventually, there will be nothing left.

I understand your point. But down this road, eventually, there will be nothing left.

Not true. The human race has been subject to these basic imperatives for thousands of years now, and we have thrived. We have kids, kids grow up, we get to the point where we have too many people, we have a war. Population self-regulates itself, so on the whole it works out pretty well, if mercilessly.

Off-topic and unrelated to anything in this thread though.

Back