Do you Believe In God

• Thread starter Thread starter TheHig
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1K
  • Views Views 63K

What would you Describe your Self As ?

• Athiest

Votes: 230 51.7%
  • Religous (what ever Religion that May be)

Votes: 135 30.3%
  • Agnostic

Votes: 72 16.2%
  • Thiest

Votes: 8 1.8%

• Total voters
My main problem with organised religion is its hereditary nature

Lets say 2 parents are Christian, in all likelihood they will pass on their faith to their newly born child. But this is what I have a problem with. How can something be a true belief if the person isn't given a choice? I am not saying this child will have less faith than a convert; but just that they never got to pick what the believed, it was forced upon them. I'm sure that if my parents were Muslim, I would have been brought up a Muslin and believe in the Qur'an- but they weren't and I don't. This just subverts the whole notion of faith to me, because it's just something passed on through a family.

I would compare it to politics. Many people are politically influenced by their family. For example my grandfather was a working class miner, so naturally he voted Labour, and my dad was influenced by this and voted Labour too, and has done so ever since. He did not view all the parties policies and moral line and then make an informed decision, but just followed what his parents did. Religion is very much the same; but with religion I'd say the chances of a child brought up in a faith converting is far less than that of a child having different political beliefs than their parents.

Anywho, that's what I think. Personally I'm an atheist, but I think having faith in something must be a very comforting thing and is in fact something i'm jealous of.

you can envy faith because ignorance is bliss when it comes to it, me too

Ubernisation just summed it up for me, if you want to be religious then fine, but youre almost " brainwashed" as a child into it, you are forced to go to church, and forced to pray or w.e the case may be, unbelievable

My main problem with organised religion is its hereditary nature

Lets say 2 parents are Christian, in all likelihood they will pass on their faith to their newly born child. But this is what I have a problem with. How can something be a true belief if the person isn't given a choice? I am not saying this child will have less faith than a convert; but just that they never got to pick what the believed, it was forced upon them. I'm sure that if my parents were Muslim, I would have been brought up a Muslin and believe in the Qur'an- but they weren't and I don't. This just subverts the whole notion of faith to me, because it's just something passed on through a family.

I would compare it to politics. Many people are politically influenced by their family. For example my grandfather was a working class miner, so naturally he voted Labour, and my dad was influenced by this and voted Labour too, and has done so ever since. He did not view all the parties policies and moral line and then make an informed decision, but just followed what his parents did. Religion is very much the same; but with religion I'd say the chances of a child brought up in a faith converting is far less than that of a child having different political beliefs than their parents.

Anywho, that's what I think. Personally I'm an atheist, but I think having faith in something must be a very comforting thing and is in fact something i'm jealous of.

top post.

You can say influence can happen, and it does. it is sad, but it is less likely today then 10years ago. the world is modernising.

I am a christian, and i will be damned when i have a kid. they wil choose there own paths.

Well, I kinda believe that God exists, but there is only one, and each religion sees him the way they see, according to that religion's history and culture. However, I don't agree with many things the Catholic Church does. The other day (some years ago, tbh, I don't go there often. Maybe 5 times a year) I was at the church, hearing a prayer which was: "Women, be submissive to your husbands". What the ****** ****?! A women must be submissive? And they say they defend the image of equality between man and woman?

There are some things I don't understand at every religion. For example, I don't understand what is the meaning of an Holly War. All the (forms of) gods told us not to kill and to forgive, and they accept a war which kills millions of innocents?

Personally, I pray sometimes. I pray Catholic prays (this doesn't sound good) but because those are the ones I was teached. I believe theremight be a God, but the concept of God varies from person to person. Everyone should have their Holy Books and Gods, has everyone has their principles and beliefs (if they believe there is really a God).

And why was I born Christian? For the same reason 2/3 of living Christians were: Family. If my family didn't baptize me, I wouldn't probably be Christian and later, as I grow, find my own religion or stay at my own. When I have a child (if I ever have one), I'll let him choose. It's his life and I don't want to condition it.

im a philosophy student and could go on for hours about this subject so ill keep it simple: you cannot prove or disprove god.

I was born into a strict Catholic house, at 12 years old I realised that it was all horse ****.

but...... I am religious, not in any conventional religion (or even an unconventional one) I believe in 'A God' who sent us many prophets (Moses, Jesus & Mohammed being the most famous)

But remember this, Religion was made by man, for man. and its in our nature to make mistakes, to lie, and to cheat.

Its my belief that the big 3 (Judaism, Christianity and Islam) were set up to control the masses, to bring civilisation to barbarians and tribesmen.

ie Don't eat rancid meat, wash yourselves, don't have *** with your sisters or mothers (which happens alot in the old testement) treat people with respect etc

in other words, what we would call basic common sense

I could go into a lot of detail and bore the pants of y'all - I majored in Theology at Uni, many years ago

Religion: Talks about peace so much it starts all the wars.

God: I cannot sit here and say he exists, nor say he doesn't. The fact that a creator of this world, can sit back and witness the horrors we see today, suggests to me that Religion is more likely to be a buisness, rather than something of pure truth.

Jesus: Starting to see where JP Woody is coming from, perhaps just a leader to a gang that conned the early days?

I have said my part.

Religion: Talks about peace so much it starts all the wars.
No that'll be Man's interpretation of the religion's differences that cause war. But the big 3 (mentioned above) have more in common than they have differences, but everyones too pigheaded to just have a hug, and laugh at themselves for being an ***

1. No
2. Not a chance.
3. I used to be pretty religious as a kid but eventually you realise all your doing is talking to yourself with your eyes closed in a desperate manner. Plus when you look around at the amount of hatred that has managed to ingulf itself around the world from religion, would be better if the whole thing wasn't around in my opinion.

NO NEVER!! just some of the bullshit stoys that is in that book noah making this arc!!!where did he get all the wood and nails from B&Q???? and what about only 2 of each animal if i 3rd lion tried to get on ''oi you no get off we have 2 of you already'' sorry i am massivly against all this poppy ****.

I'm not sure, but Adam and Eve is bollocks, if they were the first people on the earth then, aren't we all related? oO)

no, there is no god. The very concept of religion was created so we wouldn't go insane debating our existance and that there is a higher being who placed us here to serve a purpose. It's..well.. silly.

Although i do think religion is a good idea, so there isn't a mass suicide of some sort, but i ,myself, not religious.

NO NEVER!! just some of the bullshit stoys that is in that book noah making this arc!!!where did he get all the wood and nails from B&Q???? and what about only 2 of each animal if i 3rd lion tried to get on ''oi you no get off we have 2 of you already'' sorry i am massivly against all this poppy ****.
Erm actually there wasn't 2 of each animals, the clean animals came in by 7, the dirty ones by 2.;). Also, these bullshit stories aren't to be taken seriously, they're to be used metaphorically a lot of the time.
And you're ranting of the bible, not God ;)<)

But I do not believe in a God. All this 'why do bad things happen to good people' aguements are bollocks, because then surely the population would change dramitically. I just think that there are so many flaws in religion it's very hard to take it seriously. Look at the Pope in Rome, they have so many works of Art, so much money and gold, and preach about how we should share our money out, while they're not prepared to share their wealth. It's contradictory

But it's all a matter of faith

---------- Post added at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 PM ----------

no, there is no god. The very concept of religion was created so we wouldn't go insane debating our existance and that there is a higher being who placed us here to serve a purpose. It's..well.. silly.

Although i do think religion is a good idea, so there isn't a mass suicide of some sort, but i ,myself, not religious.
And this, too.
Was created to keep the lower class people in order

Yes

Yes

I was raised a catholic and I've sat through years of church. I have just always believed in God and although I've had my doubts I've never doubted his existince. However I do believe that the catholic church may not be a reflection of god.

Yes

Yes

I was raised a catholic and I've sat through years of church. I have just always believed in God and although I've had my doubts I've never doubted his existince. However I do believe that the catholic church may not be a reflection of god.
That's true, Catholocism is a failure in many ways, I mean look at all the priests ******* kids

NO NEVER!! just some of the bullshit stoys that is in that book noah making this arc!!!where did he get all the wood and nails from B&Q????

Maybe those things called Trees...

Back