Do you Believe In God

• Thread starter Thread starter TheHig
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1K
  • Views Views 63K

What would you Describe your Self As ?

• Athiest

Votes: 230 51.7%
  • Religous (what ever Religion that May be)

Votes: 135 30.3%
  • Agnostic

Votes: 72 16.2%
  • Thiest

Votes: 8 1.8%

• Total voters
VERY distant cousins

No one can prove/disprove the existence of God, it's all a matter of faith

VERY distant cousins

Very, very distant cousins -- Adam lived until he was 930 years old and during that time he was specifically told to "be fruitful and multiple". The amount of children he and Eve parented could have been (and probably was) in the hundreds -- though the numbers were recorded as 33 male and 23 female by a Jewish scholar.

Cain's wife (a mysterious woman who disbelievers point too as 'proving Genesis wrong', due to the reasoning that she must have come from a different race of people) could have actually been his sister or niece. Imo, many people pick at the Bible, but don't actually research the pages their picking at.

In my opinion, science does not disprove the existence of God either. You must take into account that the book is written by mans hand and the creation process (as it is in the Bible) could well be the product of ‘artistic licence’. As for the gene thing (creating a family that resembles the guys from 'Wrong Turn' if you continually mix the gene pool) the law forbidding marriage between close relatives didn't come into play until the time of Moses. With an open mind, there is no reason why God and science can not live in the same house.

The biggest problem is that there are mistakes, Chinese whispers and (more importantly) omissions from the bible that would shed far more light on the subject. Why do the Vatican and other religious houses keep segments of writings under lock and key? There is something odd about that for sure.

I am a believer in God, but I wouldn't force my views on anyone. Imo, it must be a choice. I have, however, lost faith in the 'organisation' that is Church.

Of course, if you don't believe in God and his teachings, then I suppose the above doesn't apply and can, in your eyes, be considered as bulls**t :)

Adam lived until he was 930 years old

See, this is what I don't get. What the actual ****? Not only is it biologically impossible, why does religion feel it needs to feed us stuff this is impossible, as if it is trying to rope us in with what is utter bollocks? "Look, this dude lived until he was a million and shagged his wife every day for hours on end! JOIN OUR CLUB!"

See, this is what I don't get. What the actual ****? Not only is it biologically impossible, why does religion feel it needs to feed us stuff this is impossible, as if it is trying to rope us in with what is utter bollocks? "Look, this dude lived until he was a million and shagged his wife every day for hours on end! JOIN OUR CLUB!"

To be fair, we have no proof what-so-ever that the first generation of God's children were unable to live this long. On the other hand, we have no proof that the first generation of God's children even existed.

People either believe or they don't. No one should fight over or against it though, but unfortunately they do.

To be fair, we have no proof what-so-ever that the first generation of God's children were unable to live this long.

We do, actually. Past a certain age, a human body is unable to replace the cells at the same rate it loses them, basically making death certain. No human has EVER been able to live past 150, and it is completely scientifically impossible.

We do, actually. Past a certain age, a human body is unable to replace the cells at the same rate it loses them, basically making death certain. No human has EVER been able to live past 150, and it is completely scientifically impossible.

You're talking about humans as we are in the last thousand (or two) years. There has never been a test on a human from the time we are talking about -- hence one of the reasons many people don't believe they even existed.

You're talking about humans as we are in the last thousand (or two) years. There has never been a test on a human from the time we are talking about -- hence one of the reasons many people don't believe they even existed.

Well considering we could never actually test for that, I'm having to use the only data that is available for it. This is what science does, you know: uses stuff that DEFINITELY exists.

Religion is a bunch of **** that creates nothing but stereotypical values upon one another and ultimately causes conflicts of interests. Bible is a bunch of stories. Like South Park says, If I told you there was a Giant Spaghetti Monster flying in the air, would you believe it? I believe there was a Jesus, he was a fantastic and great MAN. That is it. A Man.

Another thing is, why the **** do people pray? He has been proven that prayer does not work. I hate that in churches and gatherings they do the whole shock thing and purify and forget your sins. Yet he answers that but leaves a dying child alone to die. A good doc to watch is We Might as well Prey to Aliens.

Well considering we could never actually test for that, I'm having to use the only data that is available for it. This is what science does, you know: uses stuff that DEFINITELY exists.

And it also messes it up a lot of the time. I'm not arguing the fact it may be impossible for God to exist -- if you read my posts you'll see that. I also never slated science -- I believe in science as well, as I also said in my earlier posts. All I'm saying is that I do believe in God myself.

Religion is a bunch of **** that creates nothing but stereotypical values upon one another and ultimately causes conflicts of interests. Bible is a bunch of stories. Like South Park says, If I told you there was a Giant Spaghetti Monster flying in the air, would you believe it? I believe there was a Jesus, he was a fantastic and great MAN. That is it. A Man.

Another thing is, why the **** do people pray? He has been proven that prayer does not work. I hate that in churches and gatherings they do the whole shock thing and purify and forget your sins. Yet he answers that but leaves a dying child alone to die. A good doc to watch is We Might as well Prey to Aliens.
Firstly, You cannot prove prayer does not work, you simply cannot. God cannot help everybody (If he exists) because thenthe population would increase a **** of a lot.
The Bibles stories are to be taken as metaphor's, different people will view them differently

And it also messes it up a lot of the time. I'm not arguing the fact it may be impossible for God to exist -- if you read my posts you'll see that. I also never slated science -- I believe in science as well, as I also said in my earlier posts. All I'm saying is that I do believe in God myself.

I know you weren't slating science, and I never implied that you were. Science may mess up, yes, but trial and error is about as good as we can get it. Frankly, if we still followed religion as blindly as we did in the Middle Ages, the world would be a smoking, radioactive crater at the moment.

This is also something that intrigues me. If someone believes in God so much, why even bother going to the hospital when you're ill? May as well stay at home and be religious. God chooses whether you live or die, right? So surely God would be more pleased by you staying at home and praying to be cured rather than actually being cured?

You obviously can't prove that he does not either. That doco was a good one :)

This is also something that intrigues me. If someone believes in God so much, why even bother going to the hospital when you're ill? May as well stay at home and be religious. God chooses whether you live or die, right? So surely God would be more pleased by you staying at home and praying to be cured rather than actually being cured?

Well, God may not decide whether you live or die, I may be missing something, but does it specifically say that in the bible?
Also, maybe it's as a pecaution going the hospital? Maybe it's God making sure the medicine works?

I know you weren't slating science, and I never implied that you were. Science may mess up, yes, but trial and error is about as good as we can get it. Frankly, if we still followed religion as blindly as we did in the Middle Ages, the world would be a smoking, radioactive crater at the moment.

I agree with you there. We shouldn't follow blindly because the book itself has been edited by mans hand -- not God's hand.

On this point, many highly religious people refuse treatment because of their beliefs in God or Another (sorry, but I'm not 100% up on other deities.) Some people will never go to a doctor and leave themselves at the mercy of their belief.

Back