Do you Believe In God

• Thread starter Thread starter TheHig
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1K
  • Views Views 63K

What would you Describe your Self As ?

• Athiest

Votes: 230 51.7%
  • Religous (what ever Religion that May be)

Votes: 135 30.3%
  • Agnostic

Votes: 72 16.2%
  • Thiest

Votes: 8 1.8%

• Total voters
1) Do you Believe In God

NO

2) Are you Religious

NO

3) Why ?

Because of when my sister died of cancer and she wouldnt hurt a fly! lol

and get real, did god REALLY create the earth, think about the logic..... NOT REAL

(6);)

Why should they? Name an advantage Scientists gain from it?

They can co-exist comfortably, and both have a place and provide important benefits to society, it allows people to make their own opinions. Whether you believe in the science or you have faith. Not that any of the two gain an advantage.

Fair enough having an open mind but in my opinion there's a difference between an open mind and ignorance, just because there's no evidence for something then it shouldn't give people a reason for believing in it.

Lee for the record I am not ignorant. I look at all possibilities before making my own mind up. Its the narrow minded people in the world who are ignorant and focused on their own beliefs and are not willing to open up to other theories.

1) Do you Believe In God

NO

2) Are you Religious

NO

3) Why ?

Because of when my sister died of cancer and she wouldnt hurt a fly! lol

and get real, did god REALLY create the earth, think about the logic..... NOT REAL

(6);)
The logic ?Explain to me what you think the 'logic' is?

So if there are no advantages, why should we have to put up with the disadvantages?

Because you cannot discard one or the other, ie you can't put down a religious view if you believe in the Science. Both have their respective points, which can be seen as significant. I do think that the should co-exist because it allows people to make up their own minds.

[Think I'm on the correct path here, but i'm feeling tired, and some of my points may be insignificant]

Lee for the record I am not ignorant. I look at all possibilities before making my own mind up. Its the narrow minded people in the world who are ignorant and focused on their own beliefs and are not willing to open up to other theories.

Narrow minded people are ignorant. But so is choosing to believe in something despite having any sort of evidence whatsoever.

Open minded people should entertain new beliefs and accept all possibilities but they should also question what they are being told. Which you seem to think makes people ignorant.

Narrow minded people are ignorant. But so is choosing to believe in something despite having any sort of evidence whatsoever.

It isn't ignorant, or narrow minded if people believe in a superior force,
Faith - a strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny.

They simply have faith in a superior force, how can that be ignorant? You can't tell someone what to believe in.

They simply have faith in a superior force, how can that be ignorant? You can't tell someone what to believe in.

Faith - A trust in the intentions or abilities of a person, object, or belief in spite of a lack of knowledge in the person, object, or belief.

Therefore... Faith = Ignorance.

I'm not telling them what to believe in, if people want to believe in something they can.

I wouldn't mind organised religion so much if it didn't rely on hereditary brainwashing to plant the seeds of belief into children based on old books. To me gods are primarily a primeval way of explaining the unknown, and secondarily a control mechanism.

religion was around long before governments were.

there have been two world wars, and neither were started by religion, and they killed more people than all the wars in history put together

and is there really any need to make snide backhanded comments about religion

Erm, yeah, maybe they weren't STARTED by religion, but one of the driving factors of many of the worst features of the wars were. WWII's holocaust was started because Hitler hated the Jews. Both sides regularly evoked God, saying that he was on "their side".

Of course, this is disregarding just about every other conflict in history. The Crusades. Hundred years war. Taipeng Rebellion. Thirty years war. Even Timur's campaigns were partially motivated by religion.

I think your figures must be wrong with regard to the "more people killed in both WWs than in all wars in all history put together." If we add together the high estimates of WWI and WWII, commonly it comes to around the 140 mil mark. If we add together the Mongol Invasions (high est. 60 mil), the An Shi Rebellion (36 mil) and the Taiping Rebellion (30 mil, possibly more) we already get to 126 million. If we throw in the Qing dynasty's conflicts with the Ming dynasty (est. 25 mil), we pass 151 million people dead, outstripping both World Wars put together.

EDIT: Forgot a couple of other wars started for religios reasons. Dungan revolt. Most of the Medieval conflicts in Europe. French War of Religion.

Last edited:
Faith - A trust in the intentions or abilities of a person, object, or belief in spite of a lack of knowledge in the person, object, or belief.

Therefore... Faith = Ignorance.

I'm not telling them what to believe in, if people want to believe in something they can.

This can be said about both sides of the debate.

I don't agree how you're forced into a religion at a very young age, when you have no say at all, and it's quite hard to change your religion offically.

The greatest scientist of the last century was open to both science and religion. Albert Einstein.

Just thought I'd point out that this is utterly incorrect. It is a common myth that Einstein was a theist. In fact, there are many quotes from him explicitly stating that he does NOT believe in God, or at very least not in the form everyone expects. In a letter in 1954, he said "I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly.” Clear enough?

In fact, with Einstein you could craft a very effective anti-religion, or at least anti-Christian, view of the world. To quote: "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weakness, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still purely primitive, legends which are nevertheless pretty childish." A pretty damning verdict, I'd say.

This is just something that gets my goat, sorry for being so pedantic about it. And even if we DID count Einstein as a theist, you'd have to disregard just about every other great scientist of modern times. Nikola Tesla, Santiago Cajal, O.W. Holmes, et cetera.

1. Yes
2. Not really
3. I believe in god because I've seen to many things to not. I've had experiences where I know god was there. I've seen people speak in tongues, miracles happen, people's lives changed... I live in the south eastern United States where everybody is a "christian" and most people are fake, so I'm really tired of the whole "religion" thing. I go to church every once in a while, but I pray daily. I think there's a lot of misconception of god and religion. Just because a lot of wars have happened due to Christianity, doesn't say anything about the religion, that's just people misunderstanding and trying to take matters into their own hands. True christianity is about accepting and loving everybody regardless of their view on things. That's the way I wish belivers behaved, I get embarrassed with the way "Christians" behave sometimes, I think it's turned a lot of people away from god.

Einstein may have been one of the greatest scientists the human race has ever produced, but his views on the existence of God are no better or worse than any one on this forum. For all his feats, Einstein made many mistakes and errors of judgement (most of which are brushed under the carpet because of his greatness.) He thought black holes were impossible and believed the universe was static -- on that basis alone, his views on God carry no more weight than anyone else.

Erm, yeah, maybe they weren't STARTED by religion, but one of the driving factors of many of the worst features of the wars were. WWII's holocaust was started because Hitler hated the Jews. Both sides regularly evoked God, saying that he was on "their side".

Of course, this is disregarding just about every other conflict in history. The Crusades. Hundred years war. Taipeng Rebellion. Thirty years war. Even Timur's campaigns were partially motivated by religion.

I think your figures must be wrong with regard to the "more people killed in both WWs than in all wars in all history put together." If we add together the high estimates of WWI and WWII, commonly it comes to around the 140 mil mark. If we add together the Mongol Invasions (high est. 60 mil), the An Shi Rebellion (36 mil) and the Taiping Rebellion (30 mil, possibly more) we already get to 126 million. If we throw in the Qing dynasty's conflicts with the Ming dynasty (est. 25 mil), we pass 151 million people dead, outstripping both World Wars put together.

EDIT: Forgot a couple of other wars started for religios reasons. Dungan revolt. Most of the Medieval conflicts in Europe. French War of Religion.

The amount of wars that were started in the name of "religion" is irrelevant. For Christianity at least, if the people fighting for the religion actually stopped to read and understand it's bible then it wouldn't have happened. You can't use the amount of wars that Christianity has played a part in as a way of demonizing the religion in any way.

Back